Let's talk Stormtroopers.

Wolfninjajedi

Be warned, as this post shall be very long.

So folks....Stormtroopers, for the past 30+ years, they have gotten a reputation of not being able to hit anything, being incompetent and so on. However....this is not true and anyone who has actually watched the movies, would know this.

Yes folks...their reputation, is based on a complete and utter lie because people can't seem to pay attention...to what is going on, even when it tells you right to your face on what is happening. But let's get into it, so I can explain and point out what just about everyone has missed for the past 30+ years.

==========

A New Hope

Opening scene, this already should give an idea that Stormtroopers are an effective fighting force. They storm the Tantive IV and overrun the Rebels, forcing them to retreat and soon enough they surrender and are taken prisoner, they even capture Princess Leia.

Then moving to finding the droids R2 and 3PO, they track them to the Jawa Sandcrawler and then to Luke's Aunt and Uncle, before finally getting to docking bay 94 and narrowly missing them. If the Stormtroopers were incompetent as people claim they are, then they wouldn't have gotten as far as they did with finding the droids and they only escaped narrowly thanks to Han and Chewie.

Now moving onto the piece, that many think the reason as to why Stormtroopers suck. The Death Star, you know...I may forgive people if it was something that was briefly glossed over...but no, it is quite clearly stated in the movie, that Luke and co were let go, does anyone remember this conversation literally right after the escape?

Tarkin: "Are they away?"

Vader: "They've just made the jump into hyperspace."

Tarkin: "You sure the homing beacon is secure aboard their ship? I've taken an awful risk Vader, this had better work."

Then...Leia confirms this...

Leia: "They let us go, it was the only reason for the ease of our escape."

Han: "Easy, you call that easy?"

Leia: "Their tracking us."

Not to mention, the Empire was trying to find the Rebel base to begin with. So tell me....why would the Stormtroopers kill Luke and co? They were ordered to let them go, so that the Empire could find the Rebel base and destroy them....so the Stormtroopers and TIE pilots put on a little show. It would raise some questions, that Luke and co would just stroll out of a heavily guarded Imperial battle station, maybe then Han would have believed they were being tracked.

This isn't hard to understand, it's right infront of you....literally. But let's move on next to....

=====

Empire Strikes Back

Battle of Hoth, the Empire completely steam rolled over the Rebels and moved swiftly into Echo Base with Stormtroopers. Again I'm not seeing any incompetence here....in fact the Snowtroopers set up that E-web pretty fast, which would have taken out the Falcon had Han not activating one of the ships weapons.

Escape from Cloud City, now this may also be another part of people having the notion that Stormtroopers suck, because they couldn't hit any of the group. ....Nope...let's go back a little after Han had been frozen to a conversation...

Vader: "Calrissian, take the Princess and the Wookiee to my ship."

Lando: "You said they'd be left here under my supervision."

Vader: "I am altering the deal, pray I don't alter it any further."

Then as the group is escaping...

Vader: Did your men deactivate the hyperdrive on the Millennium Falcon?"

Piett: "Yes my lord."

Vader: "Good prepare the boarding party and set your weapons for stun."

Again....Vader wanted them alive, so why would the Stormtroopers kill them? Context people, context, it's right there.

=====

Return of the Jedi

Endor....I don't know about you folks, but I recall a Scout Trooper laying out Han with one hit before getting into a fight. Then you have Luke/Leia in a speeder bike chase, in which both of them get thrown off their speeders. In fact, if people also watched the movie, you'll notice that one of the Scout Troopers show some ridiculous accuracy.

As he was driving his speeder bike one handed at 310 mph, he aimed his blaster pistol and was able to tag Leia's bike, knocking her off of it. Driving one handed on a vehicle that goes faster than a race car and being able to aim a blaster pistol at a small target which is going just as fast.

I still can't believe people think Stormtroopers suck after that one scene, when there wasn't any circumstances surrounding that.

Then the pre-Battle of Endor....the Stormtroopers quickly overtook the Rebel strike force without a shot being fired, Rebellion was done.

In fact, the Rebellion only won due to sheer luck, that they had met the Ewoks(this is actually a noted fact). Even then....it was only turned around when Chewie got ahold of an AT-ST.

Need I also remind people, that R2 was shot by a Stormtrooper and Leia wounded by one? Again...more accuracy showings.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Just a separate 2nd post to avoid an even longer one.

But yes folks, Stormtroopers were never shown as incompetent or sucking with aiming without circumstances surrounding particular scenes. Their 1 battle that they lost in the movie, on Endor, was surrounded by various factors going against them and it was just 1 factor entirely that turned the whole battle against them anyway.

Anyway....whew, there it is everyone!

I just had to get it out there, this may not dispel their false reputation, but here's hoping it's more enlightening. The quest to disprove their false reputation though, is a long one...a never ending one at that, but I shall be there.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Basically, most of the Stormtroopers' performance can be attributed to the higher ups pulling off a deception. Unfortunately, Rebels seems intent on ignoring that in favor of the trope. That's one of the reasons I stopped watching.

Basically, most of the Stormtroopers' performance can be attributed to the higher ups pulling off a deception. Unfortunately, Rebels seems intent on ignoring that in favor of the trope. That's one of the reasons I stopped watching.

What happens when people don't pay attention to something infront of them and it's not like, it was hidden or anything.

I'm still watching it, hoping it'll become better, the preview for the newest episode coming looks nice.

To be fair on the Bespin side of things. They should have been using the stun setting, they werent ordered to do that till later. Also I very greatly suspect that majority of the storm troopers were actually occupied dealing with the Bespin gaurds that Lando sent at them, but ya in general Storm Troopers are good. I honestly think that they have OCCASSIONALLY shown that in the Rebels show as well.

Also to be fair those are VADER'S Storm troopers so basically the best of the best (except the ones on Endor, which were still said to be some of the best) while the Storm troopers in Rebels, are largely outer rim nothing planet Storm troopers, so they would likely represent the "worst" of the bunch, just like the ones that have been the "best" storm troopers have all been with Agent Kallous and the Inquisitor, because well obviously they arent just that sectors storm troopers but more along the lines of the Over Sector Storm troopers like what Death Squadron was to begin with.

To be fair on the Bespin side of things. They should have been using the stun setting, they werent ordered to do that till later. Also I very greatly suspect that majority of the storm troopers were actually occupied dealing with the Bespin gaurds that Lando sent at them, but ya in general Storm Troopers are good. I honestly think that they have OCCASSIONALLY shown that in the Rebels show as well.

Also to be fair those are VADER'S Storm troopers so basically the best of the best (except the ones on Endor, which were still said to be some of the best) while the Storm troopers in Rebels, are largely outer rim nothing planet Storm troopers, so they would likely represent the "worst" of the bunch, just like the ones that have been the "best" storm troopers have all been with Agent Kallous and the Inquisitor, because well obviously they arent just that sectors storm troopers but more along the lines of the Over Sector Storm troopers like what Death Squadron was to begin with.

Well I'm taking just from the movies, not saying the Stormtroopers belong to anyone specifically in the movies, because they weren't noted as belonging to 1 person. But yes, I'm hoping at some point it picks up for the Empire in Rebels, cause so far they haven't really had any victories.

Although in Rebels, there have been a few moments, although I can only thing of two.

1. The Imperial pilot was able to beat Kanan down H2H, although not a Stormtrooper, still nice(unless something as come up, saying those guys are Stormtroopers...if not I'm just putting them as Imperial Army Pilots)

2. Stormtroopers taking on those beasts that Kanan and Ezra sent at em, although this was mostly off screen, afterwards you see Stormtroopers still standing the beasts dead/gone.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Well I'm taking just from the movies, not saying the Stormtroopers belong to anyone specifically in the movies, because they weren't noted as belonging to 1 person. But yes, I'm hoping at some point it picks up for the Empire in Rebels, cause so far they haven't really had any victories.

Although in Rebels, there have been a few moments, although I can only thing of two.

1. The Imperial pilot was able to beat Kanan down H2H, although not a Stormtrooper, still nice(unless something as come up, saying those guys are Stormtroopers...if not I'm just putting them as Imperial Army Pilots)

2. Stormtroopers taking on those beasts that Kanan and Ezra sent at em, although this was mostly off screen, afterwards you see Stormtroopers still standing the beasts dead/gone.

I can think of a third. Capturing Ezra in episode 1. Forcing Zeb to retreat, nearly taking his head off multiple times.