Every time I subscribe, I feel like I shouldn't have

MetrotownSimon

This time around:

- Finally I'm doing the Onderon story. I'm gonna let it slide that there's barely a story there since it's probably more of a daily area or whatever. But the glaring bugs...

-> I'm in the sewers and Tau asks for help in the throne room. When I get there, she's not even there. Huh?

-> Darth Remote Control turns on a bomb to wipe me out. After the fight in the room... uh, where's the bomb? But it's still gonna go off apparently despite having vanished into thin air because we're scrambling for our lives.

Onderon is old news now but I guess so are the bugs.

SWTOR still has some of the best storytelling in MMOs today, hands down. Really dramatic cutscenes and a stronger experience of "choices matter". Many new games don't even bother anymore and are still doing what everyone was doing 15 years ago with NPCs standing around talking at you. Or even walls of text to read. Then off you go to kill things between here and the next NPC who's going to talk at you. Almost feels like every game is Diablo sometimes.

(Blade and Soul UE4 Update is a real contender though but the story is strictly linear with no choices).

So I guess I'm really just disappointed in the industry in general. There's definitely a decline in quality, maybe because of a shift toward pretty graphics and trying to milk you of your money with mobile game tactics.

For the very first time I'm actually not sure if I will enjoy the story or the storytelling in SWTOR. Disappearing bombs and ortolans hanging around in a corner for no reason at all or other bugs really detract from that. Plus there's barely any story in Onderon before I get sent to Mek-Sha. There's gonna be some real story in Corellia when I get there, right?

I can put up with a lot of stuff in game mechanics and new bugs that never get fixed what not, but if the story isn't worthwhile, playing the game is pointless. Putting down roots and connecting with community there is pointless.

Here's hoping I'm wrong and SWTOR will deliver. Sad to say I'm actually enjoying the stories in Hogwarts Mystery a helluva lot more -_-;

Recommendation: Instead of diverting money and resources toward overhauling gearing every couple of years, how about settling on something reasonable and focussing on story and other content? Seriously, no other game has such huge changes every couple of years to make me relearn how to do everything.

Edited by MetrotownSimon

We can all play veteran couch potato and comment on the made-for-tv movie we just watched and we'll all pull something different out of it, so what might be horrible (or boring, or thin) story content to one person might be just fine for another. If you've hung around for the story to the point you describe, there's more to come, good or bad.