It's taken a decade but I've finally fallen in love with TOR

Blackmoonsky

I was one of those bitter Kotor fans who were displeased that Kotor3 was an MMO instead of a traditional single player RPG. I tried the game 3 or 4 times throughout the years but just couldn't get into it.

Well flash forward 2 weeks ago and I get the urge to play a Star Wars game. So I installed TOR and gave it another try. And for whatever reason, this time it clicked for me. I'm into the stories, I'm into the interesting choices I'm presented with and most importantly, I really like the gameplay. I read several threads that people said the game was too easy, so they recommended setting your companion to passive, and that really does work. The battles are engaging, I can't be asleep at the helm for the larger groups and stronger enemies. Now I will turn on my companion midfight if things get dicey, particularly when I'm underleved and facing the gold elites. And I look forward towards the Flash Points and expansion missions and trying to put together a build that can solo them.

But all in all, it keeps the gameplay loops fun and exciting, and I'm genuinely interested to see the story progress and how my choices will affect different outcomes. I'm no longer a bitter Kotor fan.

Edited by Blackmoonsky

I got to the game late as well, been enjoying it; so I'm biased towards ignoring the major problems. I'm patient enough to wait until it is fixed but were I around for too long- I might have to play something else until I can come back to see if there is new stuff or enough fixes.

I am the die-hardiest of die-hard KOTOR fans, and I just don’t understand the seemingly endless resentment the KOTOR community has toward SWTOR. A few gripes rightfully exist, sure. But it’s been so unfair how quickly this game gets written off.

I’m glad to see you have tried out and liked the game!

It’s been my opinion for awhile that “KOTOR 3” is best off as a really, really big game like this one. KOTOR 2 ended with hinting that the next Republic-Sith war was going to be catastrophically larger in scope. An MMO serves that perspective much better than any 24-hour RPG could.

Not to say I wouldn’t play a theoretical KOTOR 3 in a heartbeat, however.