Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

3.0 patch taking over 20 gigs

Go_Kenki
12.03.2014 , 12:52 AM | #1
So I try to log into the game around 3 hours before the servers went down only to have the launcher try to update. It strikes me as strange but the launcher text mentions early access so I figure what the heck since I pre-ordered the expac before nov 2nd (probably a big mistake on my part). It gets to 47% and then resets from 0. I exit and keep getting unspecified error and log in not available at this time messages repeatedly. Finally get the launcher to install the update again (delete launcher_settings, exit launcher and log in again until it starts to update) and leave it overnight but it seems to be reinstalling the entire game, eating up 20 gigs and counting as of 85% right now.

Originally the install progress bar on the launcher was red. After the waking up and seeing the progress seeming stuck at 45% after six hours. I exited and had the errors I mentioned above. After deleting the launcher_settings file and logging in again the launcher verifies and then jumps up to 47% installed. The progress bar is green now.

What's going on? Is this doing a repair and patching? The patch is only supposed to be 2.5 gigs [EDIT: confirmed to wrong by Owen] and I've been downloading almost ten times that in what is almost literally 24 hours. I'm guessing the initial update process that started when I tried to log in before the servers went down was bugged/an error. When I logged into the game today the loading screen is changed to the SoR one and it has the normal download progress bar up at the character screen and see the 'play only starter planets' message shown.

That's as much detail as a I can muster on my situation. Anyone have anything similar happen? Because it seems like everyone else installed the patch fine.

Webbey
12.03.2014 , 03:34 AM | #2
Hey mate, it is interesting you say its taking you lots of download data for this patch at the moment my launcher has reached %71.28 and is upto %75.01 and has used 1.2gb already. The exact same thing happened to me a few weeks ago the game downloaded 6gb i thought nothing of it because i grabbed the latest update from a mate so thought it might be configuring files for my pc. If you say the new expac is only 2.5gb i am way over this. I am also using the ST launcher.

If anyone could help as to *** is going on. Not really worth playing or being a sub if i use 10+ gb each time theres an update. As i have to tether internet of my phone atm.

Cheers

OwenBrooks
12.03.2014 , 03:39 AM | #3
In the case of the Op he is doing a new game download, the patch was bigger then 2.5gb, I only started downloading before going to bed but the first file it started to download was 3.2gb straight off.

This patch is bigger due to the expansion , normally the patches are small

I also don't use the bitraider launcher but the original so it gives the file size on each file

Achromatis
12.03.2014 , 05:11 AM | #4
Well over 7GB for me at 93% right now, game was up to date before this patch.
Not Meant to Be a Factual Statement

The plural of anecdote is not data

Webbey
12.03.2014 , 05:41 AM | #5
Thanks heaps guys should be right then if its about 8gb just seemed excessive
Cheers web

OwenBrooks
12.03.2014 , 05:43 AM | #6
No idea where Tait got his 2.5GB size from he stated here - http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...32#edit7833632 so was surprised the first asset file was 3.2 gb , but then I went to bed so didn't see the remainder of the files being downloaded

Go_Kenki
12.03.2014 , 09:05 AM | #7
It took 27 gig in the end, it seemed excessive to me since I was already up to date before the patch but I'm just glad to wash my hands of this. I am using the horrendous default bitraider streaming by the way.