EQN dead, Wildstar dying...swtor?

Zhedzaban

100% never happen. I can tell your new here to the MMORPG theme.

Then how did I manage to get my old characters and perks that I had before DAoC was shut down, and is now back up and running? Also a EA title. You are the new person I see who seems to have some chip on your shoulder about EA, and if it was a toxic environment on this game, it is from people like you sir....

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prove it.

Prove it's bleeding subs -- and no, "my friends all quit" is not proof.

Bleeding is a vague term. You can bleed from a paper cut.

A short scroll through the first 10 or so pages of the off topic area shows a goodly number of "I quit" posts

But then again, the New Player Help section shows a goodly amount of "I'm back and...." threads... so, balance?

I will be shocked if it makes it until next summer. At the free fall rate of bleeding subs I was thinking by fall sometime them announcing that all remaining servers will be shut down by such and such a date. For anyone who has never played an EA MMO, EA loves that email. They do it on games that seem healthy and strong. A game as toxic as this, I am shocked it is still up and running.

MMOs always bleed subs or players and gain new ones. It's the difference between the two that matters. You are shocked it's still up and running but it is. You simply fail to see the reasons why. With all of its flaws, this game does have a lot to offer still.

At the same time I would be happy if it was true that there would be a new MMO coming out because as much as I like this game, I also know that BW can do a lot better and one big issue has always been that godforsaken engine they built for it.

But honestly, I think SWTOR is still one of the best MMOs out there and with that it's also a bit of a sad statement of the current status of the MMO genre. I think that it was already said, but the game industry needs to go back to building games that are worth spending money on. SWTOR has been good enough for me for most of its existence but it's often been just barely. That wears on a person just the same. I think BW have a lot of good ideas but they don't come out in this game. Is it all about EA? Is it lack of vision and too much number crunching? Or is it that engine? Likely a combination of factors but after having had some experience now I think they can do something much better.

I only hope they learned the right lessons. As with many companies the metrics are key because management only understands numbers, but to be honest, numbers without context mean **** all. The original story lines were great. It gave replay value to have 8 of them. They abandoned that and it's a shame but all the other things they built into the game are not fully finished products in my view. And yet, I've had a lot of fun playing this game also because some of it was just really good, in spite of that all. So yeh I hope that guy is right, but I am not so quick to believe a guy on the forum, but then again I would welcome it if he was right.

To quote a guy named Lorien: Only those, whose lives are brief can imagine that love .. is eternal

Well, the same goes for MMOs.

No one knows how long this game is going to last but EA announced that swtor has reach the highest subribers they ever had so they are in a good route, it's still has a long way to go

That announcement was about sub numbers before KotFE came out. It was encouraging news but I wouldn't use that old news as current information on the state of the game if I were you.

That announcement was about sub numbers before KotFE came out. It was encouraging news but I wouldn't use that old news as current information on the state of the game if I were you.

I thought the sub numbers were about after KOTFE because the announcement was made Jan 29 2016. however the next quarter is coming end of march we will have to see the number then.

I thought the sub numbers were about after KOTFE because the announcement was made Jan 29 2016. however the next quarter is coming end of march we will have to see the number then.

Yes it was Oct-Dec 2015 period and the way the statement was worded was a tad ambiguous to begin with I found.

Also the lack of any mention of revenue was ... let's just say odd.

Even this next quarter won't be a true indication I feel because it's really only been this month that people have got a true feel for what this episodic content is going to be like and if they feel this game is still value for their money taking this direction. Thus Jan-Feb could still skew that somewhat.

Apr-Jun ... that is the key indicator imo but there could be more announced during that time to bounce things back ... hopefully at least.

Everyone seems to be worried about "if" the game will end and numbers...

As my smuggler always says... "What's the big deal?" Just play the game and enjoy it now, seriously, it's playable, fleet and planets have "people" scurrying about, Their are MMO's where you never see "Anyone" how do those MMO's survive? Perhaps because a handful of people still play them? :)

Gen-Xers are starting to hit their 50s not 40s. Gen X is from the mid 1960's to early 1980s. Gaming is changing because of the Gen-Y(Millennials) want things handed to them because of the trophy mentality they were raised with. Everyone must get something for even signing up.

15 years ago there were a handful of MMO, today there are dozens of them. There's more choice now than before.

I am the supposed Gen X that grown up playing Nintendo and is now in my 40s. But I actually prefer a more casual play style these days as compare to my younger days.

This is because beside gaming I actually have a life and family to pay more attention to than to spend countless hours into more hardcore gaming. So I actually prefer games that are more casual and can play at my own time and own leisure, most importantly does not require too much time sink to progress or achieve something.

My mindset now is completely different from when I started playing MMO in UO and EQ, I was actually very hardcore in those days and can invest many hours into a game, the more time consuming and difficult the game can offer the more enjoyment and satisfactory I could get out of them. In the past I play for the challenge, now I play for relaxation and entertainment.

Thus it may not be just because of Gen-Y wanting thing easy or handed to them on a silver platter, the playstyle and preference of gamers may change with their ages too. I believe there is some truth that gamer from my generation may be burning out from the more stressful gaming style in our younger past and now may prefer something that is more relaxing and non-time consuming to play so that our hobby won't eat too much into our RL activities.

I am the supposed Gen X that grown up playing Nintendo and is now in my 40s. But I actually prefer a more casual play style these days as compare to my younger days.

This is because beside gaming I actually have a life and family to pay more attention to than to spend countless hours into more hardcore gaming. So I actually prefer games that are more casual and can play at my own time and own leisure, most importantly does not require too much time sink to progress or achieve something.

My mindset now is completely different from when I started playing MMO in UO and EQ, I was actually very hardcore in those days and can invest many hours into a game, the more time consuming and difficult the game can offer the more enjoyment and satisfactory I could get out of them. In the past I play for the challenge, now I play for relaxation and entertainment.

Thus it may not be just because of Gen-Y wanting thing easy or handed to them on a silver platter, the playstyle and preference of gamers may change with their ages too. I believe there is some truth that gamer from my generation may be burning out from the more stressful gaming style in our younger past and now may prefer something that is more relaxing and non-time consuming to play so that our hobby won't eat too much into our RL activities.

Very well said!

Heaven forbid a video game should be designed so that you can enjoy it without having to invest as much time into it as a second career.

Just curious, but when was this game EVER like that??

This game was about as casual as could be even from day one. Now if your talking about TSW, NWO etc, then yeah they are a little more hardcore as in regards to time, but swtor, not even close.

SWTOR is ending next summer. Learn a lot drinking with devs. ;)

There's a new title coming that will be announced later this summer.

umm yeah logical they would close a game down that makes money just so they can announce a new title coming on the horizon.

Blizzard cancelled their so called "Titan" project a year or so ago. It was to be their new, next gen premier MMO title. After 5 years of development and 10s of millions of dollars they just shut it down. One of the reasons they referenced is that the number of players that play mmos has declined over the last few years, and is projected to keep declining. People are so busy, and there are so many different game platforms now, that keeping a AAA title mmo afloat is a tall order. Edited by MotorCityMan

Difficulty modes exist for a reason. I really don't get why some people(on both sides of the discussion) have such hard time realizing this. Like it or not, gaming is not a niche hobby for computer geeks anymore thus easier modes have to be added. On the other hand, higher-difficulty modes shouldn't be removed just because majority uses easier modes.

Difficulty modes exist for a reason. I really don't get why some people(on both sides of the discussion) have such hard time realizing this. Like it or not, gaming is not a niche hobby for computer geeks anymore thus easier modes have to be added. On the other hand, higher-difficulty modes shouldn't be removed just because majority uses easier modes.

Multiple difficulty modes is not maintainable. Multiply the QA load by at least the total number of difficulty modes.

Wait, we're allowed to dislike Episode 7!? Everyone just accuses me of being a prequel lover!

Enjoyed reading this thread up until it digressed on the jar jar abrahms casual fan of a new hope 2.0. Let's give it up for the rich history KOTOR has provided us. Think of all the villains, planets, and side stories we have encountered. From the first time we explored Drommund Kaas to starting our quest to obtain HK on Section X.

The game is experiencing the conditions of what being in an old server setup. The entire North American population should be on one or two servers with instances. Even the Harbinger is experiencing 'Light' mode more and more in the recent weeks. The scaled down staff in Austin is focused on writing new story and cartel packs. What they need to address really fast ( as Mad said) are the servers. People don't like to be in a game they feel isn't 'where it's at' when you see 3 others on Yavin you get a sense of that. I really hope Bioware wakes up to the dip in population and has a fast fix....

Enjoyed reading this thread up until it digressed on the jar jar abrahms casual fan of a new hope 2.0. Let's give it up for the rich history KOTOR has provided us. Think of all the villains, planets, and side stories we have encountered. From the first time we explored Drommund Kaas to starting our quest to obtain HK on Section X.

The game is experiencing the conditions of what being in an old server setup. The entire North American population should be on one or two servers with instances. Even the Harbinger is experiencing 'Light' mode more and more in the recent weeks. The scaled down staff in Austin is focused on writing new story and cartel packs. What they need to address really fast ( as Mad said) are the servers. People don't like to be in a game they feel isn't 'where it's at' when you see 3 others on Yavin you get a sense of that. I really hope Bioware wakes up to the dip in population and has a fast fix....

Hmm biggest problem I see is people see the server populations, all we need to know if it's up or down. People judge each server by population and flock like sheep to a higher populated sever.

Next go back to 4 man story mode, simply put if you want people to partake in a story at least make it worth our while, we do get "social" points that most people don't realize has custom gear that isn't half bad for next to nothing... Also that part has never seen an update since launch.

And the entire team all working on story is a bit much to take. Yes we wanted it to a degree, a lot of people would fill all servers for months with one new WZ map, and one new OP's for the love of Pete if the team is so focused on story, write in an OP's and some kind of PvP mission into it... Just separate ones each, just 1... Even if it only takes 15 minutes and is as short as three bosses.... Lol. It would bring a lot of people back, and also have overwhelming joy from the people looking forward to it! Anyhow that's just one persons personal opinion though.. :)

Multiple difficulty modes is not maintainable. Multiply the QA load by at least the total number of difficulty modes.

Well, do you have better idea to utilize developed content to its full extent and apeal to as mnay players as possible? That's what it boils down to in the end. That or making a choice - either you go with low budget and appeal only to hardcore players, or casual/lowest-common-denominator appeal coupled with turning the gameplay into video game equivalent of Transformers summer popcorn brainless action, without any attempt to create an inetresting, challenging experience (no gaming 'art'). No one really thought of a better/cheaper solution yet than various difficulty modes for the same content.

Well, do you have better idea to utilize developed content to its full extent and apeal to as mnay players as possible? That's what it boils down to in the end. That or making a choice - either you go with low budget and appeal only to hardcore players, or casual/lowest-common-denominator appeal coupled with turning the gameplay into video game equivalent of Transformers summer popcorn brainless action, without any attempt to create an inetresting, challenging experience (no gaming 'art'). No one really thought of a better/cheaper solution yet than various difficulty modes for the same content.

I have not yet seen a multiplayer online game where there is a difficulty setting for the whole game. Certain discrete content (like SWTOR's own flashpoints and ops) that's "Write-once" can have multiple "difficulties." But constantly extended games (like every MMO), especially ones that we already know have extremely limited constraints; no, it can't be done economically.