Solution to raiding gear vs casual gear

Noxronin

Since many ppl are against strongest gear being locked behind Operations i propose a solution:

Operations should not drop higher ilvl gear but exclusive cool looking shells / same ilvl gear as from other sources with unique look.

Guild Wars 2 does that and raiders get access to some of the best looking gear in the game as their reward for their hard work that is not stronger than gear from other sources.

Well that is definitely an option that can work.

As long as raiders don’t get treated special at the expense of everyone else and get unfair gear advantages I don’t personally mind, OPS can have unique titles, outfits, mounts etc instead.

Edited by ralphieceaser

Since many ppl are against strongest gear being locked behind Operations i propose a solution:

Operations should not drop higher ilvl gear but exclusive cool looking shells / same ilvl gear as from other sources with unique look.

Guild Wars 2 does that and raiders get access to some of the best looking gear in the game as their reward for their hard work that is not stronger than gear from other sources.

Wouldn't work. Operations have always had exclusive fluff, including unique looks to their gear. The Dxun sets have unique looks currently on top of unique set bonuses, but that wasn't good enough to appease them. Maybe if the Dxun sets were guaranteed drops rather than being a random chance things would have worked out better for all of us.

but that wasn't good enough to appease them.

Nothing is ever good enough for them.

Coming from WoW you can just see how the design team keeps pandering to raiders patch after patch, with Shadowlands being the ultimate raidlogger xpac and raiders still complain.

They pretty much removed all power rewards from casual content, a ton of activities from world quests to covenant mini games to casual pvp gave absolutely trash rewards, and what did raidloggers have to do? 2 runs of torghast per week and they still moaned and complained, and that is including the fact that they gave them special dps raid sets that are only available from the raid and nowhere else.

The game has pretty much gutted all forms of casual content exactly because raidloggers complained, the casual gear is literally almost 30 ilvls below max available gear and it takes months worth of grind to even get, months of grind for something that raiders can get in an hour that is also 30 ilvls better.

By removing all power rewards from casual content they pretty much consistently believe casuals dont give a damn about anything other than mounts and space barbie outfits while the population is nosediving, but hey, based on 9.2 info they keep listening and pandering raidloggers who hate doing any form of casual content so the rewards look to be worthless, yet i am certain they will find something to complain while the game keeps nosediving cuz casuals are treated like 4th class citizens.

Hence why pandering to such a community is never a good idea, meanwhile focusing on casuals not only focuses on the people who are supporting you financially, nobody is genuinely hurt if everyone has access to max gear ratings.

Edited by ralphieceaser

ArenaNet and NCSoft were way ahead of their time with Guild Wars which was released in 2005 and they maintained that with Guild Wars 2 to some extent.

The original Guild Wars has features that SWTOR hasn't managed even in 2021.

Example: You can use 3 companions to do that game's version of Flashpoint-like activities and you can use 7 companions to do the raid-like activities. You can recruit pre-geared, pre-skilled companions provided by the game or custom gear companions and carefully set their skill bars; in either case, the companions exhibit amazing intelligence in combat in using their skills. You can change the companions you recruit for any and every activity individually.

Example: You can use 3 companions to do that game's version of Flashpoint-like activities and you can use 7 companions to do the raid-like activities. You can recruit pre-geared, pre-skilled companions provided by the game or custom gear companions and carefully set their skill bars; in either case, the companions exhibit amazing intelligence in combat in using their skills. You can change the companions you recruit for any and every activity individually.

Even ff14 has introduced a new trust system to allow people to do dungeons with known NPC characters, the NPCs are able to avoid mechanics while performing average in terms of everything else.

Though considering the current engine and companion pathing AI i feel that even if they attempted to do something similar the entire thing would be full of bugs, companions getting stuck at random places instead of doing mechanics.

It definitely feels something that would probably require a lot of resources if not being outright impossible with the current engine.

I would honestly love the idea of high end raids being done via companions, with companions only being able to perfectly do mechanics and perform just slightly below average so you will have to do mechanics perfectly and perform well and above average DPS wise to beat the boss

Edited by ralphieceaser

Even ff14 has introduced a new trust system to allow people to do dungeons with known NPC characters, the NPCs are able to avoid mechanics while performing average in terms of everything else.

Though considering the current engine and companion pathing AI i feel that even if they attempted to do something similar the entire thing would be full of bugs, companions getting stuck at random places instead of doing mechanics.

It definitely feels something that would probably require a lot of resources if not being outright impossible with the current engine.

I would honestly love the idea of high end raids being done via companions, with companions only being able to perfectly do mechanics and perform just slightly below average so you will have to do mechanics perfectly and perform well and above average DPS wise to beat the boss

Actual conversation years ago on fleet (0200):

PC_1: "Is Treek any good?"

PC_2: "Treek is better than most players"

Silence

Me: 'Nodding'

Actual conversation years ago on fleet (0200):

PC_1: "Is Treek any good?"

PC_2: "Treek is better than most players"

Silence

Me: 'Nodding'

My wife and I run mastermode anything together on our DPS Alts with either Z00M or Treek as healer & Tank, unless we need ranged AOE, in which case we replace one with Shae. All other comps perform less optimally.

2 good Comps with properly optimised players in a group should always be able to do 4 man content. Sadly, I don’t think that will be possible in 7.0.

But wouldn’t it be good if you could bring 3 comps to solo all 4 Man mastermode content.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

My wife and I run mastermode anything together on our DPS Alts with either Z00M or Treek as healer & Tank, unless we need ranged AOE, in which case we replace one with Shae. All other comps perform less optimally.

2 good Comps with properly optimised players in a group should always be able to do 4 man content. Sadly, I don’t think that will be possible in 7.0.

But wouldn’t it be good if you could bring 3 comps to solo all 4 Man mastermode content.

ZO-OM: "PEW! PEW! PEW PEW !"

HK-55: "Deactivate one of us now please master"

I would pay a LOT of credits for the ability to have two Companions out at the same time on one toon.

ZO-OM: "PEW! PEW! PEW PEW !"

HK-55: "Deactivate one of us now please master"

I would pay a LOT of credits for the ability to have two Companions out at the same time on one toon.

Yes, I’d definitely pay a lot of credits to do so and it would be a fantastic credit sink. But I think we all know BioWare would want to cash in some how and would make it cost a truck load of CC’s instead.

I would have actually preferred this feature than the secondary combat style for my classes or decoupling of class stories from classes

Edited by TrixxieTriss

While it would be great to see this idea implemented, it won't happen--even if it was all BoE, that would be taking away potential CM sales, if these armor sets were sold to everyone instead of being given away to raiders without the exchange of real money.

Bringing back expertise would likely be the best way to solve the issue. I have no idea if it is possible to do this with the game's engine, but, if expertise could be brought back and have it counted differently in PVP and operations, this could be a good mitigation. However, IIRC, expertise was gotten rid of for PVP because the casual players didn't understand it and were consistently getting stomped by those players who did. The stompees complained loudly and consistently enough, and bye-bye exertise. But if it were only to be used for Ranked PVP and operations, expertise would then be only a matter for people who (hopefully) know what they're doing and understand what all the stats mean, what stats you want to max depending on combat style, etc.

They aren't going to do that. Cosmetics in the Cartel Market are their bread and butter.

Yep. The whole reason cartel market exists is cosmetics. I would prefer ALL gear and weapons came from in game but that ship sailed a long time ago.