Its December! Let the countdown begin! 7.0

SaerethDL

Source please. Also, what is the definition of "active player" ? As in purchased the game? Made an account at one time?

NW has a different sub plan than WoW, SWTOR and others. Steam charts show NW"s demise - from 1 million players on concurrently to under 100K, in less than two MONTHS.

I'm pretty sure even SWTOR has 100k paying subs.

That is not really a demise, that is normal and has been with every mmo besides wow. After the first week of launch there will almost always been a huge dip in playerbase.

New World has 130K players playing right now according to steam charts.

OSRS has 1473 players -current playing - steam charts

Everquest has 400 players - current playing - steam charts

UO at 3800 - Daily -MMOpopulation

I'm not making any of this up. The game you say is dead has a significant amount more players that all those mmo's you listed put together. And so does Swtor, thats what I'm saying yalls definition of dying is an ever changing thing. All mmo's are destined to lose their original playerbase numbers. It's just the nature of the beast.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is not really a demise, that is normal and has been with every mmo besides wow. After the first week of launch there will almost always been a huge dip in playerbase.

That pretty much happens in all mmorpgs including WoW, like WoW got record sales when their xpac launched and after a while the majority of those people left, for mmorpg success what matters imo is player retention after the first few months, how people still stay after most of the content has been consumed, that would be successful design due to great replayability.

Real success I mean, cuz if we go financially WoW must be a great game but the reality is the WoW token has been a goldmine for blizzard since they get to sell gold for real money and then players buy gear boosts with that gold.

Profitable=/=successful

here you can even see with the swtor relaunch on steam and 6.0 they lost more than half their playerbase in a couple months.

October 2020 6,210.1 -1,331.2 -17.65% 10,331

September 2020 7,541.3 -2,980.1 -28.32% 11,800

August 2020 10,521.4 -7,928.3 -42.97% 21,283

July 2020 18,449.7 - - 27,416

You might can even say 6.0 was or wasn't very good with retention.

Edited by SaerethDL

That pretty much happens in all mmorpgs including WoW, like WoW got record sales when their xpac launched and after a while the majority of those people left, for mmorpg success what matters imo is player retention after the first few months, how people still stay after most of the content has been consumed, that would be successful design due to great replayability.

Real success I mean, cuz if we go financially WoW must be a great game but the reality is the WoW token has been a goldmine for blizzard since they get to sell gold for real money and then players buy gear boosts with that gold.

Profitable=/=successful

hmm interesting i really don't remember that far back.

here you can even see with the swtor relaunch on steam and 6.0 they lost more than half their playerbase in a couple months.

October 2020 6,210.1 -1,331.2 -17.65% 10,331

September 2020 7,541.3 -2,980.1 -28.32% 11,800

August 2020 10,521.4 -7,928.3 -42.97% 21,283

July 2020 18,449.7 - - 27,416

You might can even say 6.0 wasn't very good with retention.

Yeah but how many of us who played for a long time actually use steam? Never really even cared about it cuz I already have the launcher installed.

So i am guessing most of those players were new, steam players that show the game available advertised or people who havent played for a long time that show the AD.

And like any new toy/xpac/launch many people stop playing after the first few months, if we are to assume most of those players are new, the fact that they retained half is huge, considering many mmorpgs like WoW had almost 10m sales in Shadowlands yet people are guessing the pop is around a million now? That is quite an enormous loss, 70-90% beats 50% bigtime.

So if we are to assume a decent amount of new players stayed after the steam launch it would be a success, as long as they are new players.

Though now a good question to ask is what is the average % of the playerbase that leaves a few months after an mmorpg/xpac is launched, i am sure there should be a few big mmorpgs that have numbers public or something :o

Yeah but how many of us who played for a long time actually use steam? Never really even cared about it cuz I already have the launcher installed.

So i am guessing most of those players were new, steam players that show the game available advertised or people who havent played for a long time that show the AD.

And like any new toy/xpac/launch many people stop playing after the first few months, if we are to assume most of those players are new, the fact that they retained half is huge, considering many mmorpgs like WoW had almost 10m sales in Shadowlands yet people are guessing the pop is around a million now? That is quite an enormous loss, 70-90% beats 50% bigtime.

So if we are to assume a decent amount of new players stayed after the steam launch it would be a success, as long as they are new players.

Though now a good question to ask is what is the average % of the playerbase that leaves a few months after an mmorpg/xpac is launched, i am sure there should be a few big mmorpgs that have numbers public or something :o

I only have steam numbers to compare, therefore I am only comparing steam numbers not overall numbers. That being said I moved to steam and a lot of people have because of the fact that patching through steam is light years faster than the launcher.

yup you may consider losing 69% of the player base good retention from a certain point of view.

I'm re-Downloading on Steam now, my computer tells me it will take a loooong time, but that's because my Internet connection is the worst in existence!:mad:

it will be worth it. I have 1 gig download, and sometimes it took an 30mins- hour+ to patch on launcher it takes less than 1-2 minute to patch on steam. So in the long run it should save you some time.

Not sure I'm really excited though! There's just generally too little good news with 7.0 in fact, while it's true people had concerns about 6.0 as well. Still I thought there was far more positive or upsides to 6.0 than we see here. I mean lost abilities, lost combat proficiency, and far less content to see gear progression mostly!

Maybe I'm wrong, and we'll only have a little more than a week and a bit to find out. Still I think they should have RETHOUGHT this at least!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

♦ Revise Weekly's Master Flashpoints/Operations to only 75-80 Level Content, exclusively for Master Mode.

♦ Master Mode Flashpoint / Operations Boss still give 75 Level gear, yet doing 5 / 3 of each get 1 Level 80 Crate.

♦ VET Flashpoints / Operations should focus on 55-75 Level Content, and award up to 75 Level Gear.

♦ PvP or GSF should also award 80 Level Gear, provided your 80 or 318+ to offer more choice.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

There will just be far too few things to do with 80 Level Content at Launch, at least towards gear progression.

Edited by Strathkin

I only have steam numbers to compare, therefore I am only comparing steam numbers not overall numbers. That being said I moved to steam and a lot of people have because of the fact that patching through steam is light years faster than the launcher.

This. Many of the long-term players I know/knew moved over to the Steam platform. Sad to say but a lot of those same have left now as well.

WOW's huge drop was due to the lawsuit and the revelations that came out of it, not the design of the game itself. Before that the biggest gripe was the slow drip of content due to covid. But there was still a lot of people playing on the servers. After the lawsuit details came out, streamers and content creaters pulled out and now the game is a ghost town.

New World has just been a huge cluster bomb ever since release. The core game is good, but there has been too many game breaking bugs that the devs seem too incompetent to fix. Exploiters are literally stealing game currency by collecting taxes and then closing up shop and moving. WAY too much town control was given to guild leaders and this is the result.

Edited by oslek

Now is the perfect time:

-WoW in decline and ActiBlizz not very popular

-People raving about FF14 and its great story (I don't) when we have a better story here

-Book of Boba Fett and Kenobi soon

-A first step to use something similar to FF14's job system

WOW's huge drop was due to the lawsuit and the revelations that came out of it, not the design of the game itself. Before that the biggest gripe was the slow drip of content due to covid. But there was still a lot of people playing on the servers. After the lawsuit details came out, streamers and content creaters pulled out and now the game is a ghost town.

New World has just been a huge cluster bomb ever since release. The core game is good, but there has been too many game breaking bugs that the devs seem too incompetent to fix. Exploiters are literally stealing game currency by collecting taxes and then closing up shop and moving. WAY too much town control was given to guild leaders and this is the result.

Don't forget the fatal flaw in PvP - mass reporting, resulting in automatic ban.

Boggles my mind how a company (Amazon) can spend four BILLION (<-- with a 'B') dollars over four years on one division of their corp, and have nothing but a mobile game to show for their money.

Yes, NW is "playable", the way a car with no brakes is "driveable".

WOW's huge drop was due to the lawsuit and the revelations that came out of it, not the design of the game itself.

Yeah that is why casuals especially have been leaving in droves in the xpac launched.

Blizzard gutted all forms of casual content rewards because raidloggers complained, WoW has become a raidlogger game with any other activity in game being absolutely worthless and a waste of time so not many people are left these days.

Don't forget the fatal flaw in PvP - mass reporting, resulting in automatic ban.

Boggles my mind how a company (Amazon) can spend four BILLION (<-- with a 'B') dollars over four years on one division of their corp, and have nothing but a mobile game to show for their money.

Yes, NW is "playable", the way a car with no brakes is "driveable".

Every single move Amazon has made since release shows a dev team completely out of their element. The type of mistakes they are making shows a group that has zero knowledge about the genre they were entering. It's too bad because the world is gourgous and I had a blast gathering and crafting. But after numerous patches that kept breaking the game and hindering my ability to play, I finally just gave up.

Edited by oslek