Any wow refugees out there?

aurora_sing

Respectfully speaking, With all the things surrounding blizzard right now including lawsuits and also disappointment in recent expansions, I'm wondering if we have any newcomers from wow. I haven't played swtor in years and I wasn't playing wow but I was playing hearthstone and I just don't think I can give blizzard any more money. Not trying to start a controversial thread just curious how everything as of late is affecting the gaming community and if swtor is going to see an influx of new gamers. I know one thing i particularly like about swtor is that it is very story-based. it didn't seem like wow had that covered.

I've played both WoW and TOR off and on for years although I have spent more time in WoW overall. I let my WoW sub fall off towards around March-ish and then bummed around in FFXIV for abit before coming back to TOR. I don't consider myself a "refugee" but I was pretty much done with WoW before the Lawsuit stuff hit the fan. The current direction of that game is just not fun anymore. I did the raids, I did the Mythics, tried to enjoy the story, but it just isn't up to the quality of older expacs. Or maybe I am just older? I dunno. Anyway. I am here now, at least for a while. Who knows where the road will take me?

Unlikely...SWToR has all the problems WoW has and has had without the resources laid down for content...It's a lesser game than WoW that was designed to clone WoW but with the addition of character/class stories... Which they stopped producing after launch... Yes folks that's right they stopped producing the only thing unique (besides it's awesome IP) about the game after launch.

As it happens those class stories are really the only thing I like about the game still and they stopped making them...

FFXIV is getting all the WoW refugee's with maybe a couple that had previously played SWToR returning until something better comes along...basically people that just don't like Final Fantasy keeping in mind that ESO is getting most of those folks.

I'm sure A few people will give SWToR a crack but coming from WoW it's likely they won't be here long as they will see a lot of the same things that they disliked in WoW here especially on the microtransactions front.

The only reason SWToR doesn't get a lot of hate is because it's not really even on the MMO player base radar...It's practically invisible... it doesn't matter to the masses.

SWToR has never done anything significant enough to gain recognition since its launch.

Edited by Soljin

I was actually looking into WoW, having fond memories of what Blizzard used to be. But no. Activision has monetized their games into oblivion.

Buy WoW tokens with mom's credit card, buy carries with gold from tokens...Wow game loop managed.

It's almost like...Buy CC w/ mom's credit card, buy decorations from the CM w/ CC and then sell decorations for massive credits to buy extremely inflated cost gear from the GTN... almost.

Difference is in SWToR gear doesn't get you access to anything....There is zero cool stuff that gearing up will get you access to...No super duper cool skins or mounts that give you some type of status boost...False as it is in this scenario...None of that.

Edited by Soljin

I'm not sure if I can be counted as a WoW refugee, but I played WoW since BC xpack, stopped at mists of pandaria, because it was already childish game, and with addition of kong fu panda, it became even more so. I came back to WoW in the BFA expansion, but found it boring and story telling is something that came out from a Disney cartoon. Tried shadowlands and it didn't get me either.

Coming from PvP perspective...

With that said, I'm an ESO refugee. I got sick of defensive ability stacking there, which made many players tanks, but with the exception that they have high damage. TTK is low, but sometimes you get those buffed up players that suck all the fun out of the gameplay.

TTK here is very, very high, but I'm hoping that will change in the new expansion. I would stay in WoW for PvP, but WoW takes too much time, and I have nor desire nor time to do the grind. In SWTOR you can get geared up rather fast, and gear is valid through out the expansion as I understand. Which is perfect for me.

I played on and off this game, but new xpack brought me back, plus I haven't seen all the story so far. Hoping for great things in the new xpack.

Some people mention FFXIV, and I can't even look at that game lol. It reminds me of anime, and I hate anime with passion. Besides, running around with children characters that take down bosses.... Cat people with umbrellas.... Nah, I rather throw away my PC :D

Thanks for all the replies. interesting to get everyone's take. I'm hoping some previous blizzard players would give swtor a chance and grow the community. I agree that FF14 is probably first on most people's radar but while the graphics are impressive it didn't look that interesting to me personally. I also looked at new world but that looked even less interesting. so it's all swtor for me. still hoping for a wave of new players. ;)

Just the opposite I went to WOW while waiting to see how they screw up SWTOR with 7.0.

I'm waiting until 7.0 is released ..sooo We'll see !

EDIT... I have several characters on WoW ... two of which are well geared .. so ... We will see what shakes out here !

Edited by OlBuzzard

I agree that FF14 is probably first on most people's radar but while the graphics are impressive it didn't look that interesting to me personally.

FFXIV was my first stop after dropping WoW this go-round. It is a fun game and mostly lives up to the hype. Gameplay is good, story is good. The way the story is presented is not so good, and the way it's paced out through the MSQ (Main Story Quest) is bad. But overall it's a good game if you don't mind the Japanese/Anime anesthetics (it's there but not bad, imo).

I have played Several other MMO(s) Including: SWG,GW2, FFXIV, BDO, WH Online, EVE Online, WoW (Several times) the list goes on and will likely play New World and Ashes of Creation... Since SWG I havn't really found an MMO that holds my interest like that game "Chasing the Dragon" as it were...

SWToR is as close as I can get for now.

Probably won't go to another MMO before New World and if that doesn't hold my attention I will Sub to SWToR whenever the mood strikes me... There's always the Steam Library which is where I have been after leaving WoW a few months back...

Gotta love Pathfinder, Xcom2, and so many others...

Edited by Soljin

Unlikely...SWToR has all the problems WoW has and has had without the resources laid down for content...It's a lesser game than WoW that was designed to clone WoW but with the addition of character/class stories... Which they stopped producing after launch... Yes folks that's right they stopped producing the only thing unique (besides it's awesome IP) about the game after launch.

As it happens those class stories are really the only thing I like about the game still and they stopped making them...

FFXIV is getting all the WoW refugee's with maybe a couple that had previously played SWToR returning until something better comes along...basically people that just don't like Final Fantasy keeping in mind that ESO is getting most of those folks.

I'm sure A few people will give SWToR a crack but coming from WoW it's likely they won't be here long as they will see a lot of the same things that they disliked in WoW here especially on the microtransactions front.

The only reason SWToR doesn't get a lot of hate is because it's not really even on the MMO player base radar...It's practically invisible... it doesn't matter to the masses.

SWToR has never done anything significant enough to gain recognition since its launch.

SWTOR has a massive sexual assault culture?

Thanks for all the replies. interesting to get everyone's take. I'm hoping some previous blizzard players would give swtor a chance and grow the community. I agree that FF14 is probably first on most people's radar but while the graphics are impressive it didn't look that interesting to me personally. I also looked at new world but that looked even less interesting. so it's all swtor for me. still hoping for a wave of new players. ;)

played wow from launch till WoTLK then lost interest. Also played every MMO Except FF anything, since the SNES was a thing with cartridges... This game has been my #1 go to game since 2012. although consoles has been a thing of lately. I am currently coming back here for some R&R with the entire gaming environment scene. This game will always have a following I wouldn't worry about the size of the community much it has always been here. Just enjoy what you like about story perhaps build a background to your character and make some new friends. Its always rewarding.

• 3 weeks later...

I've played them all.

WoW has been kinda going downhill for a while now, though, with this newest thing more of a final nail in the coffin than anything. (I played from late BC through early Mists, then for almost all of Legion and the first bit of BFA, then the first couple months of Shadowlands.)

FFXIV is an amazing game, and I absolutely love it. I'm just taking a break so I don't end up burning out on it. (I will be back for Endwalker, and for now I've done everything in the game that I'm currently interested in [up to and including savage raids, but not ultimate, because I don't find that as much fun].)

ESO I've enjoyed, and will play again. I've played off and on since beta, with a long break from roughly Morrowind through the beginning of this year. Currently on a break from that again due to real life stuff and having completed basically everything I'm interested in that isn't more high end (i.e. vet trials, etc.).

TSW I played the base, enjoyed it, not a fan of Legends.

TERA I played a long time ago when it was new (before ESO was a thing, and actually it was my friends in TERA that convinced me to play SWTOR the first time)...but haven't touched it lately, and haven't heard good things that make me want to go back.

New World is fun. Not as a 'main game' type of fun, but as in an a 'I have a random amount of time to kill, let's play something' kind of fun. Like an MMO version of Stardew Valley.

SWTOR...I've played off and on. I first started during RotHC, had fun, played through SoR, had fun, took a break. Came back for a bit of KotFE, had fun, took a break. Came back for a bit of KotET, had fun, took a break. Came back for Onslaught, had some fun, took a break. Came back a couple weeks ago as time allows, am having fun, and we'll see where it goes.

Other than my initial stint with WoW, I've never been one to be stuck on exclusively playing a game for a long period of time. There's too much out there to enjoy, and I'm not going to limit myself if I find something else that I like.