Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

why is the deserter lockout still present in regs?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
why is the deserter lockout still present in regs?

Raansu's Avatar


Raansu
06.03.2021 , 01:39 PM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by CheesyEZ View Post
didn't ask. don't care.
I care. Maybe stick around and try to win instead of ruining the match by quitting and creating a cycle of leavers. Thankfully now people like you can enjoy the lockout.

RikuvonDrake's Avatar


RikuvonDrake
06.03.2021 , 05:14 PM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by Sappharan View Post
What irks me is when it is claimed that someone who dislikes the deserter debuff is automatically the person who abandons games as soon as they do not go favorably.
by far the most common reason for players disliking the deserter lockout is that they are unhappy with being unable to requeue immediately after ragequitting a warzone they consider to be "lost", there has yet to be one good argument for removing the deserter punishment from regs

the system is working well, sure it could be tuned slightly to be more forgiving to people that continue to queue despite having questionable internet connection (and thus DC:ing regularly) but in the grand scheme of things that's a very very small pool of players

Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd - The Red Eclipse - Darth Malgus

Saga - FriendlyFire - Mango

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
06.03.2021 , 05:19 PM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post
I care. Maybe stick around and try to win instead of ruining the match by quitting and creating a cycle of leavers. Thankfully now people like you can enjoy the lockout.
Sadly, thatís why the lock out was added and why may people asked for it. And honestly, I wouldnít mind it as much if they hadnít added it with a win requirement and had added some sort of map choice and a mechanism for back fillers to be able to decline and DCís werenít counted as lockouts.
If all of those had been implemented (and losses still counted), the system would be 100x better and more fair. I would even champion it. But as it is at the moment, it should go until they can implement everything else to go along with it.
Do you want to be a better objective pvper?
Click here for a ďHow to PvP GuideĒ

Sappharan's Avatar


Sappharan
06.03.2021 , 06:18 PM | #114
Quote: Originally Posted by RikuvonDrake View Post
by far the most common reason for players disliking the deserter lockout is that they are unhappy with being unable to requeue immediately after ragequitting a warzone they consider to be "lost", there has yet to be one good argument for removing the deserter punishment from regs

the system is working well, sure it could be tuned slightly to be more forgiving to people that continue to queue despite having questionable internet connection (and thus DC:ing regularly) but in the grand scheme of things that's a very very small pool of players
Good reasons have been given, but you do not acknowledge them as "good reasons". Again, I find myself in Trixxie's camp. Above she gave her reasons for disliking it, and I find myself in near total agreement. I doubt I would champion it, though, but I would not be vehemently opposed to it either.

RikuvonDrake's Avatar


RikuvonDrake
06.04.2021 , 08:00 AM | #115
Quote: Originally Posted by Sappharan View Post
Good reasons have been given, but you do not acknowledge them as "good reasons". Again, I find myself in Trixxie's camp. Above she gave her reasons for disliking it, and I find myself in near total agreement. I doubt I would champion it, though, but I would not be vehemently opposed to it either.
those aren't good reasons for its removal, its incentives and features that Bioware should (and have said) that they will add (map opt-out, fix to bug that causes you to be unable to equip gear/change utilities in certain warzones), the core reason the deserter lockout is there is to disincentives people like you and the poster above from just ragequitting cause they think the game is lost which reduces the experience for the other 15 ppl in the game, and there is no good argument in this thread of why it should be removed and what should be put in its place.

there are some suggestions of adjusting it which I acknowledged, the shorter initial timer on the first ragequit (in case of DC) and then have a scaling one that is 20m or something on your second abandon within 24h or something, but the deserter lockout is a good thing for the game and there has yet to be presented a viable alternative that is equally good or better

that said, you promote people to go afk during warzones so I doubt the experience of the other 15 players in the warzone is irrelevant to you

Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd - The Red Eclipse - Darth Malgus

Saga - FriendlyFire - Mango

Raansu's Avatar


Raansu
06.04.2021 , 09:27 AM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Sadly, thatís why the lock out was added and why may people asked for it. And honestly, I wouldnít mind it as much if they hadnít added it with a win requirement and had added some sort of map choice and a mechanism for back fillers to be able to decline and DCís werenít counted as lockouts.
If all of those had been implemented (and losses still counted), the system would be 100x better and more fair. I would even champion it. But as it is at the moment, it should go until they can implement everything else to go along with it.
The win requirement is a good thing. Makes people try and win instead of afking in a corner somewhere.

I'm heavily against map choice. That would just lead to certain maps never being played. A map voting prompted during the queue pop similar to something like CoD? Sure that could work. A straight up map selection though? No definitely not unless it comes with a stipulation that removing maps from the queue will remove your eligibility to complete the daily/weekly.

It is impossible tell if someone DC's intentionally or not, and as I've said countless times before, if you have DC problems then fix your internet first before queuing.

Quote: Originally Posted by CheesyEZ View Post
nah. now I stay and afk. maybe load the laundry or watch a youtube video.
Which is great news for all the other players. Enjoy your afk, its at least 1 to 2 matches where 1 less ragequitter is in the pool of players until you inevitably rage quit again because your next match is also not a carry. Eventually you'll get the idea and either learn to contribute to the match or just stop queueing. Its a win/win for everyone else.

Quote: Originally Posted by Sappharan View Post
Until they implement class balancing, losses count, map selection, matchmaking improvements, address the number farmer crap, detection for connection losses rather than one-size-fits-all answer to leaving warzones, and other issues, I don't blame you one iota. That is PRECISELY what you should do. No sarcasm.
Class balancing will be a forever issue. The closest we got to perfect balance was 2.x-3.x and it still had problems.

Losses should not count. The original daily/weekly required wins and the worst thing they did was change it to losses counting. It lead to people just afking and not trying. If you want your daily you should have to earn it.

As I said earlier, its IMPOSSIBLE to detect if a DC is intentional or not. A one size fits all penalty is the best solution. If you get a random DC then well that sucks, it happens. Take a break and requeue later. If you continuously DC? Stop queuing and fix your internet because you're becoming a detriment to other players experiences.

Do pray tell how you would deal with the number farmers? I'm quite curious what your answer is considering the two things that exist currently to dissuade number farming you want changed back to encourage it. As toxic as those players are, there's little you can do to change it, unless you advocate removing the scoreboard which is a HORRIBLE idea.

Enticy's Avatar


Enticy
06.04.2021 , 11:27 AM | #117
It's funny how people keep saying that the deserter lockout dissuades rage quitting. It doesn't, not in any significant manner. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen someone actually say that the deserter lockout kept them from quitting. I still see people leave wzs on an extremely regular basis, which means the system simply isn't working.

CheesyEZ's Avatar


CheesyEZ
06.04.2021 , 11:33 AM | #118
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu View Post

Which is great news for all the other players. Enjoy your afk, its at least 1 to 2 matches where 1 less ragequitter is in the pool of players until you inevitably rage quit again because your next match is also not a carry. Eventually you'll get the idea and either learn to contribute to the match or just stop queueing. Its a win/win for everyone else.
dunno what you're on about. I have no problem completing my dailies or weeklies in one night. instead of leaving matches I'd normally leave, I afk them. it's no skin off my back. there's plenty to occupy my time for the 2-6 minutes the rest of my team plays a man down. gl hf.

Sappharan's Avatar


Sappharan
06.04.2021 , 05:19 PM | #119
Quote: Originally Posted by RikuvonDrake View Post
those aren't good reasons for its removal, its incentives and features that Bioware should (and have said) that they will add (map opt-out, fix to bug that causes you to be unable to equip gear/change utilities in certain warzones),
Bioware "says" a lot of things. Fewer than half come true, and only for those that massage their egos. You know who I mean.

Quote: Originally Posted by RikuvonDrake View Post
the core reason the deserter lockout is there is to disincentives people like you
You think you know me, but you don't...and you never will. You're making assumptions, and they're wildly inaccurate.
I only ever leave quesh, because I loathe quesh and suckball in general. But I only leave quesh, and I am not going to apologize for so doing.

Quote: Originally Posted by RikuvonDrake View Post
and there is no good argument in this thread of why it should be removed and what should be put in its place.
your opinion, nothing more.

Quote: Originally Posted by RikuvonDrake View Post
tthere are some suggestions of adjusting it which I acknowledged, the shorter initial timer on the first ragequit (in case of DC) and then have a scaling one that is 20m or something on your second abandon within 24h or something, but the deserter lockout is a good thing for the game and there has yet to be presented a viable alternative that is equally good or better
The principal reason I oppose it is because of disconnect...but please continue with your assumptions.

Quote: Originally Posted by RikuvonDrake View Post
that said, you promote people to go afk during warzones so I doubt the experience of the other 15 players in the warzone is irrelevant to you[sic]
That was a rage post. You ever spout crap you don't truly mean? Half of me agrees that he should do that. Half of me doesn't. But I am so disgusted with the current state of PvP that those last words felt cathartic. I have seen instances of people quitting in the warzone when I have been on the team DOING the brutalizing. I get it. It sucks for them, and I actually feel badly for opposing teams when I am on the butt-whooping team. I stop myself when I find that I am beating on the same player too much. They should funnel themselves to my side so we can continue to slaughter them? Naw. And I have been on that side often enough to understand both sides. Perhaps you like to crush others' spirits. Not me.

Oh, and I don't ragequit, which is why these other aspects are so important to me (class balance, eliminating number farmers, etcetera). Don't believe me? Don't care.

Ibokagain's Avatar


Ibokagain
06.04.2021 , 05:25 PM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by Sappharan View Post
Respectfully, I disagree. He fundamentally believes that regs are better off as they are and does not care for, or consider, opposing points of view. Some probably fear our complaints will have an impact and are therefore arguing strenuously against reverting to the old system. I can understand their fears, but imo regs are demonstrably worse than they were before.

What irks me is when it is claimed that someone who dislikes the deserter debuff is automatically the person who abandons games as soon as they do not go favorably. That is absurd. I categorically refute that assertion. If that were the case my valor across all characters would be a LOT lower. I have a character with over 43k kills and only 200 or so wins. That is because she is republic, the overwhelming majority of her kills and warzones were at a time when republic and imperial queues were separated and, if anyone recalls, the republic had a very tough time obtaining wins. It is not just toward me that this accusation has been leveled.

I see just as many deserters now as ever before. What is more, I am getting even more backfills than ever before. I had three in a row the other night. Ludicrous.

My experience is that the queue system favors fast games over quality games. He may be right that the system is supposed to do as he claims, but it seems to be skewed heavily toward rapid queues, i.e. quantity over quality. It should be quality over quantity. When I played wow 14 years ago and BC was the first expansion, you could wait 10 or more minutes for a battleground. That did not bother me too much. I would be willing to wait that long for balanced, quality matches, honestly.

I almost don't have a stake in this fight because I seldom do regs anymore. I am trying (and failing) to learn the ranked craft. The games are more enjoyable (though a lot more toxic), and the queues happen frequently.
All you have to do is read any of its reply's, they are all troll-like answers. I guarantee that this person does not like the game the way it is, and I for one highly doubt that it is even active in the game. It just trolls around the forums all day trying to cause angst with other players.