Set Bonus gear before iLvl 306?

Mashugana

My Lightning Sith Inquisitor has the full 'of the Storm set. I bought it with Tech Fragments as I played. Does it make sense to use it now at iLvl 291? Or do people wait until they have iLvl 306?

It seems like it takes a ton of enhancements to fully deck out all that empty gear. I am not sure if it is worth is while I am still grinding up to 306. Also it seems to be taking forever. I play quite a bit and I am lucky to go from iLvl 290 to 291 in a week of play.

Thanks for any advice on either using the set or getting to 306 faster :)

My Lightning Sith Inquisitor has the full 'of the Storm set. I bought it with Tech Fragments as I played. Does it make sense to use it now at iLvl 291? Or do people wait until they have iLvl 306?

It seems like it takes a ton of enhancements to fully deck out all that empty gear. I am not sure if it is worth is while I am still grinding up to 306. Also it seems to be taking forever. I play quite a bit and I am lucky to go from iLvl 290 to 291 in a week of play.

Honestly, I'm happy that you have that set, but it can be slowing you down in your progression.

Usually, it's best (for quick leveling) to equip any piece of gear that's higher level, even if it has the wrong stats (like too much alacrity, etc.). Instead of using your tech frags to buy low level enhancements you're just going replace, spend them on purchasing a replacement for your lowest pieces of gear.

The exception to this rule is if you have a weapon that just needs a barrel or gear that just needs an enhancement to jump to a higher iLVL.

Otherwise, save your set bonus pieces for when you get to 306. Of course, if you run operations, it can be a good idea to put on your set pieces to maximize your dps, but it's kind of a tradeoff because of the Veteran's edge stacks you get with higher gear. Also, some groups kick players with a lower iLVL, but not all.

If you're on Satele Shan and you want to run stuff to get better gear fast, let me know. I can get you an invite to Steel Court or one of the other populous guilds where it's pretty easy to level up quick.

Great choice of forum avatar, by the way. :D

It seems like it takes a ton of enhancements to fully deck out all that empty gear. I am not sure if it is worth is while I am still grinding up to 306.

It really just depends upon how you want to go about things. While I was levelling to 306, I would just use the best armorings, mods, and enhancement that I got from drops, or by ripping them out of dropped gear pieces**, and putting them into my current (augmented) armor . The ripping can get expensive, of course, but it gives you more control over your stats. I basically used my original armor until I was able to craft augment slots and augments for the new bonus set.

If, on the other hand you want make things cheaper, you can just use any higher rated piece you get, whether it's fixed stats or not. But, in that case you'd have to keep swapping any bonus pieces out.

** Note that, unlike previous armorings, the new armorings are not tied to a particular slot, so you can, for example, rip a 306 armoring (or mod, or enhancement) out of a chestpiece to use in a belt or whatever. This basically means you just simply need 7 or 8 armorings from any piece, not a "set" of pieces.

• 1 year later...
So if I received a piece of gear at 290, could I increase that rating to 306 with mods?

Yes, with adaptive gear of course. But I found that while doing the grind to ilevel 306 mods dropped far less than non adaptive pieces.

After I hit 306 mods started dropping a lot more.

Personally when I hit 306 I didn't have enough 306 mods to fill some of the adaptive gear I already had so I spend some tech fragments at the random mod vendor in the supplies section to get the last 306 mods (he sells mods at higher or the same rating).

• 3 weeks later...
Honestly, I'm happy that you have that set, but it can be slowing you down in your progression.

Usually, it's best (for quick leveling) to equip any piece of gear that's higher level, even if it has the wrong stats (like too much alacrity, etc.). Instead of using your tech frags to buy low level enhancements you're just going replace, spend them on purchasing a replacement for your lowest pieces of gear.

The exception to this rule is if you have a weapon that just needs a barrel or gear that just needs an enhancement to jump to a higher iLVL.

Otherwise, save your set bonus pieces for when you get to 306. Of course, if you run operations, it can be a good idea to put on your set pieces to maximize your dps, but it's kind of a tradeoff because of the Veteran's edge stacks you get with higher gear. Also, some groups kick players with a lower iLVL, but not all.

If you're on Satele Shan and you want to run stuff to get better gear fast, let me know. I can get you an invite to Steel Court or one of the other populous guilds where it's pretty easy to level up quick.

i would like some help getting gear i am on satele shan server.character name is Jaeenamarie i am on empire server