Is it possible to mess up romance mechanics?

Absolutionzzzz

Hi there,

I'm pretty new to the game and had a question on the romances. My friend and I wanted to do the Fallen Empire campaign together, which i'm already half-way through. If I start doing those quests with him although I have yet to finish my romance with Lana Beniko or the Fallen Empire campaign, can this mess up the romance? I'm not sure how the mechanics of romancing works.

You should not, as far as I can remember, have any problems with your romance with Lana being disrupted if you tag along with your friend through his playthrough of the Fallen Empire elements that you have already gone through.

What you should encounter are a series of mission objectives and instances that he can influence but you cannot, and any NPC dialogue interactions while running through his missions in FE will see you tagging along purely as a spectator.

Flashpoints and group content have a rather different mechanism, where all participants choose their response to NPC dialogues, and the game randomly picks one of them as the response that is actually used. But the social interactions with companions are not handled in that way, so you will not be affected by his choices, and you will not be able to affect his.

You should not, as far as I can remember, have any problems with your romance with Lana being disrupted if you tag along with your friend through his playthrough of the Fallen Empire elements that you have already gone through.

What you should encounter are a series of mission objectives and instances that he can influence but you cannot, and any NPC dialogue interactions while running through his missions in FE will see you tagging along purely as a spectator.

Flashpoints and group content have a rather different mechanism, where all participants choose their response to NPC dialogues, and the game randomly picks one of them as the response that is actually used. But the social interactions with companions are not handled in that way, so you will not be affected by his choices, and you will not be able to affect his.

Thanks for the response! Also, what if it was content I had yet to start - does that make a difference or nah?

Thanks for the response! Also, what if it was content I had yet to start - does that make a difference or nah?

No, no difference for the content you have not yet started either. However, there is a caveat to that...

When you start new Chapters from the expansion mission terminal on your ship, there is at least one where you will get a very specific confirmation box before the mission is actually started, which states that if you start that mission, all chapters and storyline missions prior to that will become inaccessible other than the repeatable quests - heroics, bonus series, and so on, and that your character will have been assumed to have taken default "canon" answers to dialog options and quest choices (i.e. let this character die to save that character, or dark side versus light side choices, decisions about whether to pursue romance with certain characters or not, and so on).

Aside from the fact that you then miss out on a number of flirt opportunities that would be needed to progress a romance with a particular character, that may lock you into or out of a particular romance based on the original storyline.

It has been a while since I ran through those chapters, so I am nowhere near certain enough to tell you specifically which chapter(s) trigger those choices, but if that sort of thing presents a problem for you then the recommendation is to (a) read everything that comes up in confirmation boxes, before clicking on the "Accept" button, and (b) knowing which order the content is intended to be run in - there are lists somewhere here i nthe New Player forum, or in the General Discussion forum, where some of the old timers have given a detailed breakdown of the chronological order for expansions and story chapters if that is something you might be concerned about.

Note though, that while those choices are permanent, they only apply to that specific character. If you make a mistake, then submitting an in-game ticket asking for the decision to be rolled back might (or might not, in all probability) be successful, but in the worst case scenario you would need to run through the content with another character and avoid making the same mistake.