Depressing Nathema Conspiracy ending.

UselessLayabout

I find it incredibly depressing and pointless that after all that hard work to take the eternal throne and with it the fleet, it all gets instantly and effortlessly destroyed after such a short time.

We hardly got any meaningful or satisfactory use out of it. Instead it just gets swept away, like a bullying child stamping out some kid's massive sandcastle the moment they finished it. It feels like whoever designed this ending was deliberately trying to troll us, smugly sticking it to us and screaming "Ha Ha!!!".

Instead of wiping out everything, I would have been satisfied by Zildrog destroying SOME of the eternal fleet, like about 1/3 then damaging most of the rest. Then the 'gravestone' could sustain massive damage that puts it out of commission for a substantial period of time.

This would still result in a noticable setback for the Eternal Alliance, allowing the Republic and Empire to resume the centre stage without the Alliance smothering them as a third power, and without it smacking of writers spitefully giving us the middle finger exclaiming: "We're taking all your toys away after you worked so hard to get them just because we can."

If anything, I would have thought it nice for the eternal fleet (some of it) to have a role in the renewed Rep/imp war.

Edited by UselessLayabout
  • Like 1

Personally I find what happens with the eternal fleet someone baffling for a different reason. At one point in the KotFE story, the theme of personal freedom and identity is raised with Scorpio and the Gemini captains. I thought it might lead to a moral dilemma about how to handle the fleet.

Morally, it feels like we should've let them go to respect their freedom. Of course, even good people might hesitate to do this because of how powerful the fleet is. What if they end up doing things that hurt innocents - then are we responsible for their actions because we let them go? Or would it simply be the case that no one can be expected (or wished) to control everyone in the universe, because that's tyranny? A darkside character, of course, could keep the fleet enslaved as tools of war and terror. And, as we see, a "lightside" character can keep them enslaved to do good works with them.

What we actually get is the theme of freedom being briefly raised, then Vaylin takes back control (because she must exert the control on others that she hates being exerted on her; for her to be truly free, no one else can be). And apparently our characters don't care at all - I don't remember any option to react in any way to the Gemini droids' fate. To me, Vaylin being the one to take back control of the fleet was a cop-out, a way of avoiding our characters being faced with this choice. We eventually have options about how to use the eternal fleet, but not whether we should use it. And ultimately it's destroyed and (I assume?) the Geminis killed while still enslaved.

To me, the whole thing reeks of wasted potential in terms of exploring interesting themes.

It's the only way to force us off everything that got built Up to put us back on the republic vs the empire. And frankly as I said in the story, my BH is glad to be done a d simply back to just another gun. And he got Lana as well. Glad my BH is no longer going to be the ultimate leader.

It's depressing for sure, I enjoyed being Emperor while it lasted but the story moving forward is allegedly going to Republic VS Empire, if you had the Fleet still whichever side you supported would instantly win. Now that the bulk of Alliance forces are gone and their 2 strongest Superweapons are gone the Alliance Commander is still powerful and mildly influential but he'll need the support of another faction to defeat the third faction.

then Vaylin takes back control

I'm more surprised that droid wasn't a ARIES backup or something, it definitely feels like a cop-out but given the MMORPG nature of this game I'm not surprised, maybe if it was a single-game we'd have that choice, it would be nice. GEMINI 16 definitely seemed interesting to me due to her individuality, even SCORPIO kept tabs on her if you let her live.

It's the only way to force us off everything that got built Up to put us back on the republic vs the empire. And frankly as I said in the story, my BH is glad to be done a d simply back to just another gun. And he got Lana as well. Glad my BH is no longer going to be the ultimate leader.

I would submit that my proposed alternative would preclude that scenario.

In my previously suggested alternative: where about a 1/3 of the Eternal Fleet is destroyed and a large portion of the rest are damaged (with the Gravestone severely damaged but not destroyed), the Alliance could not afford to send out the remainder of the intact fleet to help the other factions as that would mean only the damaged and destroyed ones were left at Odessen, rendering it vulnerable to counterattack.

If the remaining Eternal fleet ships were sent to help either the Reps or the Imps to attack the other, the other could send a massive fleet deployment to Odessen and do massive damage to the Alliance bases and infrastructure, possibly crippling it. There may well be great losses on either side, but the Alliance would still be dead in the water.

Therefore, in my proposed alternate story, the Alliance's best course would be to consolidate their forces, focus on keeping what's left of the Eternal Fleet guarding Odessen, and generally laying low and repairing the damaged eternal fleet ships (which will take time, advanced Iokath tech being what it is) and salvaging the destroyed ones.

This of course allows plenty of time and opportunity for the Reps and Imps to shore up defences of their own, stockpile resources and make preparations. So that by the time the Eternal Fleet is repaired, suddenly the Reps and Imps aren't such pushovers anymore, even if we are still a Third power.

I would submit that my proposed alternative would preclude that scenario.

In my previously suggested alternative: where about a 1/3 of the Eternal Fleet is destroyed and a large portion of the rest are damaged (with the Gravestone severely damaged but not destroyed), the Alliance could not afford to send out the remainder of the intact fleet to help the other factions as that would mean only the damaged and destroyed ones were left at Odessen, rendering it vulnerable to counterattack.

If the remaining Eternal fleet ships were sent to help either the Reps or the Imps to attack the other, the other could send a massive fleet deployment to Odessen and do massive damage to the Alliance bases and infrastructure, possibly crippling it. There may well be great losses on either side, but the Alliance would still be dead in the water.

Therefore, in my proposed alternate story, the Alliance's best course would be to consolidate their forces, focus on keeping what's left of the Eternal Fleet guarding Odessen, and generally laying low and repairing the damaged eternal fleet ships (which will take time, advanced Iokath tech being what it is) and salvaging the destroyed ones.

This of course allows plenty of time and opportunity for the Reps and Imps to shore up defences of their own, stockpile resources and make preparations. So that by the time the Eternal Fleet is repaired, suddenly the Reps and Imps aren't such pushovers anymore, even if we are still a Third power.

You want to be a third power. I don't. Why I don't really care. Kinda bummed we lost the Gravestone, but not enough to offset the fact this shackle has been removed and once again my BH is free to do as he likes without a whole damn galaxy to worry about.

So no I don't want your alternate scenario. Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

Firefly <3 :o

This is somewhat how I feel too. I don't mind if we're not some ultimate powerful figure - actually, us being incredibly powerful tends to lessen any sense of genuine danger or dramatic tension. I want what we do to have some meaning.

Firefly <3 :o

This is somewhat how I feel too. I don't mind if we're not some ultimate powerful figure - actually, us being incredibly powerful tends to lessen any sense of genuine danger or dramatic tension. I want what we do to have some meaning.

I mean for another character for my Sorcerer this will be a major setback. But for my BH main, this is just freedom. No longer have to be Mr Responsible. Just my Hunter, Lana and the open sky. Maybe Thereon since I let him live.

Kinda feel bad for Koth since he lost his baby.

I was bummed to see the Gravestone and the Fleet taken out, but have to say, I enjoyed the cutscene where the Gravestone takes out the Fleet when I played the fp for the first time. It did go out with a bang. Personally, I am glad to see Eternal Alliance falling apart because where the Outlander is the big third power without an equal rival - eh, I didn't see it going anywhere. I'm a bit miffed to see it all taken apart with another superweapon (of course it is...), but after all this leaves room for another expansion, which I am excited to see where our PC will go.

*sigh* Iokath and how the superweapons were built, the creators of those superweapons... they were never explained were they? :\

The Alliance isn't over at the end of the fp; it's at the cusp of being broken down or at the start. Outlander still has Odessen as base of operations with almost barebone loyal supporters, not just Theron and Lana. I'm curious how the Alliance will play itself out with its biggest assets taken away.

I personally aint . We never had to do anything as 'empress' , hell we didn't even get the Title and nobody used it . We didn't do squat with our position (save for one cutscene about ressources to Zaakul and that is it) . The gravestone was one fugly if not the fugliest ship ever . The role it had got ditched real fast to become a 'OMG! That one of the collection of toys on Iokath!'' . And the Eternal Fleet the last collection of toys..pretty much useless . As in we never got to use them! So yes useless in that front .

IF we did stuff as empress , with the gravestone and the eternal fleet maybe . But we didn't do squat . everything was 'Pretend , imagine in your head you are and you had and you did' .

INSTEAD OF DESTROYING The Eternal Fleet. The Gemini captains could of decided that if they cant have and control TEF, then they wasnt going to ALLOW, the Alliance Commander, have one more minute having control over TEF. So they decided to help Balance the galaxy top Super powers by sabotaging TEF, helping the Republic take half of TEF and giving the other half to the Empire.

The Commander seeing his fleet being taken over by the Gemini captains, gathers his Alliance troops together they jump on to the Gravestone and take off to stop the PUBS from taking ownership of half the fleet. Then they would stop the Gemini droids from handing over the other half to the Empire. But do to some hacking of the GS, they couldnt get lifted off into the galaxy fast enough and before they could do a damned thing. The Gemini captains hyper sped, and delivered the other half of TEF to the Empire.

During the time it took for the Alliance to gain back control over the Gravestone, a Short term Alliance in its own right was formed, by the Republic & the Empire to shut down the Alliance Commander and his/her grip on the Galaxy. When the GS finally reached the realm of the Republic space. They see what use to be theirs. There, ready in battle mode half of what was, The Alliance Commanders Eternal Fleet. As they see the Republic command ship and The GS had the order to attack on site. The plan was take out the Pubs Command ship, that would take care of their control on that half of TEF.

Battle begins as does retaliation. Pubs CS is blasting the Gravestone, as well Their half of TEF. The GS Shields are holding up very well. But you cant say the same for the Pubs shields are starting to fade, slowly losing power.

As it looks like the pubs command ship shields are about to be broke through. The Empire Hyper space in on the other side of the GS, and now the other half of TEF begins the Empires bombardment of the GS. At first the Gravestone held up quite well. The signs of the previous hack on the GS that kept it grounded long enough for the Gemini captains to gain control and deliver the two halves of the Eternal Fleet to the other two super powers. Though the AC and his/her crew thought the hack was dealt with and eliminated. they were WRONG!

The Hack kicks in once again knocking out the after burners and the engine its self. {BOOM BOOM} goes the engines. ALERTS screaming through out the Gravestone, The Electricity in the GS starts to fade in and out, which means the shields start to fade. Soon the pilot nor crew could touch any control panels of the Mighty GRAVESTONE do to the, high voltage current, surging through it. They cant touch any thing to fix it and if they tried touching it they get shocked and knocked on their butt. From there things started getting worse. The GS's Front Blaster is starting to weaken. The back Blasters have almost all have been destroyed. the Empires half of TEF have blasted through the fading ships shields enough to take out most of the back blasters and real damage is now being done to the mighty gravestone.

Hylo Visz comes running into the Command room. Commander the gravestone defenses has been hacked/sabotaged so bad i cant gain control over it, the shields are almost done for and we cant touch any panels, They hacked us, using our own energy to drive a deadly current through the gravestones system. And its only minutes before the GS reactor explodes. Because we cant regulate the power surges. We have no Choice but to evacuate.

The Commander hating to agree to the idea of Evacuating, knows Hylo is right. With a heavy sigh, The Commander gives the order to head to the escape pods as fast as you can. Fill the pods to capacity, leave no one behind.

Moments later, the Commander of the Alliance is looking through his escape shuttle's window, looking at what was the Galaxy's Mightiest Weapon be Eviscerated.

And moments from that. He/She gets a call on the shuttle's comm. it's Darth Acina, She wants to offer her Apologies for her short termed alliance with the Republic. But she had to even the playing field between the Alliance and her's super power of the Empire and if you can for give her and see why she would do such a thing. The Alliance could join the Empire, which will empower both of their entities into a Colossal POWER of One. That would put back the fear, into the heart of the Republic, even with their half of the Eternal Fleet.

By the time the AC and his/her Alliance Crew made it back to Odessen. He contacted Acina back and gave her the answer.

We will be Equals in ever fabric of the word. We will head up a New Dark Council. We will always have the last say on every thing or nothing gets done. And if i smell one hint of dishonesty or BETRAYAL, You will feel my True, WRATH.

The End.....

Now This little story would be what i liked to see happened. We would still have the Eternal Fleet just in 2 halves. Yes, we lost the Gravestone but, if either side would of had it, then they would gain the edge. This way its even, somewhat. I mean the Empire does have the Alliance and the Commander of it, and that will give the Republic just as many new head aches, then what they want. With both sides having half of the fleet each, think of it as each side having a NUKE, that keeps both parties in line. Then one day down the road one of the 2 powers may gain access to the other half of TEF and making it WHOLE again.

I dont know i just think it could of been done similar to my story or better but with not giving up all that work we did to start the alliance, just to have it all go to hell in a hour or so play time and then back to Rep Vs Emp...

Just Saying.....

Wishing you all Good Health and Peace.....

I just wish that any of the choices I made regarding Zakuul had ultimately mattered. I finished Nathema on an almost-pure lightside runthrough and found that every attempt to protect Zakuul, to limit the damage we did to it, provide relief fleets, rebuild it, were all totally meaningless. Nobody even bothered to acknowledge that any of that had happened.

What we actually get is the theme of freedom being briefly raised, then Vaylin takes back control (because she must exert the control on others that she hates being exerted on her; for her to be truly free, no one else can be). And apparently our characters don't care at all - I don't remember any option to react in any way to the Gemini droids' fate. To me, Vaylin being the one to take back control of the fleet was a cop-out, a way of avoiding our characters being faced with this choice. We eventually have options about how to use the eternal fleet, but not whether we should use it. And ultimately it's destroyed and (I assume?) the Geminis killed while still enslaved.

A lot of KotET plot points were rushed when they collapsed the Zakuul/Iokath storyline from being three KotFE-sized expansions to just the two, and shortened the number of chapters in KotET; I assume the abrupt and rather perfunctory zigzags in the Eternal Fleet story were a result of it.

I actually agree that we should've had the option to forgo using the fleet in the first place; in KotET when Valkorion was going on about how "you must command the Eternal Fleet" I actually really wanted the opportunity to just blow it all up myself, or set them free again, specifically because of the dangers inherent in putting that much power in any one person's hands, even the Outlander's.

Incidentally, the GEMINIs were almost certainly actually destroyed. GEMINI 16 actually wanted them dead so that she couldn't be returned to the hive mind; that wiping out the fleet ships themselves was the most expedient way of doing that was incidental to her plan.

• 1 month later...
Well my question is did Theron know that the Gravestone was the super weapon? He had been with the order for quite a while learning about them in his rogue-style deep cover op. You would think when he found us on Nathema to tell us what's going on that he could have mentioned this bit of important information. Lana acted more surprised when we found out what was going on than Theron. It was like he already knew, but didn't say anything? Perhaps we could have taken some kind of action. We would have had time while we were fighting our way to Zildrogg's location to move the fleet or send the gravestone into hyperspace really far away from civilization piloted by a droid or Koth. :p

Well my question is did Theron know that the Gravestone was the super weapon? He had been with the order for quite a while learning about them in his rogue-style deep cover op. You would think when he found us on Nathema to tell us what's going on that he could have mentioned this bit of important information. Lana acted more surprised when we found out what was going on than Theron. It was like he already knew, but didn't say anything? Perhaps we could have taken some kind of action. We would have had time while we were fighting our way to Zildrogg's location to move the fleet or send the gravestone into hyperspace really far away from civilization piloted by a droid or Koth. :p

I don't believe he knew precisely what Zildrog was, just merely that it was hidden in one of the Emperor's vaults and could consume the life of a planet. I could be wrong though it's been a while since I've ran the FP but I don't recall Theron mentioning anything about the Gravestone.

I don't believe he knew precisely what Zildrog was, just merely that it was hidden in one of the Emperor's vaults and could consume the life of a planet. I could be wrong though it's been a while since I've ran the FP but I don't recall Theron mentioning anything about the Gravestone.

You are correct. He did not mention the gravestone. But that moment when it was revealed, Lana was clearly surprised. I think she said something like, How? How did we not know all along? or something similar. Theron said nothing. I think it was at that point he jumped in to slice into Zildrog. I mean it seems that he was with this order for quite a while and had proven his loyalty by betraying the commander. So if he had no idea then it seems they still didn't trust him 100% yet because I got the impression that Gemini and Vinn new what the gravestone was capable of doing.

You are correct. He did not mention the gravestone. But that moment when it was revealed, Lana was clearly surprised. I think she said something like, How? How did we not know all along? or something similar. Theron said nothing. I think it was at that point he jumped in to slice into Zildrog. I mean it seems that he was with this order for quite a while and had proven his loyalty by betraying the commander. So if he had no idea then it seems they still didn't trust him 100% yet because I got the impression that Gemini and Vinn new what the gravestone was capable of doing.

He said something about Zildrog's controls being similar to Tyth's so there's that.

If you recall when Theron went to meet the commander and Lana and they discover that he had done so, Gemini makes a comment that says something like this "I told you we couldn't trust him." so it would seem that at least not everyone trusted him 100% so it is possible that he did not know.

i agree..all this **** story telling for that ??i do take a renew of my suscription..just to a linear storytelling ,who break all we do before??all for nothing

for me the worse is not to lose the title and the eternal fleet but loose the cenotaphe , and the ambition to try something else...

all of this for the new version ofthe game light versus dark ...and it has never been the game i want to play ...

the story forme was the most important ther is a trollhere, not a real story

enjoy ...

but if you do not play this sequence .. you could just keep all what you ve got ; advise

however destroy the cenotaphe was nt something necessary ,for no reason, why scenarist think about that ??

we are not toys too

so :mad:

ps:sorry for my english guys

i agree..all this **** story telling for that ??i do take a renew of my suscription..just to a linear storytelling ,who break all we do before??all for nothing

for me the worse is not to lose the title and the eternal fleet but loose the cenotaphe , and the ambition to try something else...

all of this for the new version ofthe game light versus dark ...and it has never been the game i want to play ...

the story forme was the most important ther is a trollhere, not a real story

enjoy ...

but if you do not play this sequence .. you could just keep all what you ve got ; advise

however destroy the cenotaphe was nt something necessary ,for no reason, why scenarist think about that ??

we are not toys too

so :mad:

ps:sorry for my english guys

Everything we did was for nothing just so we can go back to a red vs blue theme. Wherever the plot goes after this, I think it'll be underwhelming :(

Edited by Paulsutherland

• 3 weeks later...

The Order of Zildrog story line could have been the 6.x expansion.

I understand they wanted to go back to Pub vs. Imps, just like WoW goes back to the Alliance vs. Horde conflict every few expansions (happened in Cataclysm, reached a head in MoP, and now the upcoming BfA will do it again). But there was room for so much more in the Order of Zildrog story board. It could have also let us play with the Eternal Fleet and the Gravestone a little while longer; the way everything played out, it was basically a way of saying that everything from 4.x and 5.x was too dangerous for anyone to have-- which isn't a bad thing, but no sooner does the Eternal Alliance become firmly established than we get de-fanged and have to go crawling back to our old superiors asking them to take us back in? I can hear them laughing.

I mean seriously, how can the Alliance last now? If we back the Republic, how many former Imperials are gonna let that fly? Or vice versa? I can easily see Bey'wan Aygo dumping any of my toons who supported the Empire, like a bad habit.

I understand they wanted to go back to Pub vs. Imps, just like WoW goes back to the Alliance vs. Horde conflict every few expansions (happened in Cataclysm, reached a head in MoP, and now the upcoming BfA will do it again). But there was room for so much more in the Order of Zildrog story board. It could have also let us play with the Eternal Fleet and the Gravestone a little while longer; the way everything played out, it was basically a way of saying that everything from 4.x and 5.x was too dangerous for anyone to have-- which isn't a bad thing, but no sooner does the Eternal Alliance become firmly established than we get de-fanged and have to go crawling back to our old superiors asking them to take us back in? I can hear them laughing.

I mean seriously, how can the Alliance last now? If we back the Republic, how many former Imperials are gonna let that fly? Or vice versa? I can easily see Bey'wan Aygo dumping any of my toons who supported the Empire, like a bad habit.

Maybe. But everyone in the Alliance, for all intents and purposes, was booted from their former faction. The Alliance was also able to fight off Vaylin when she had control of the Fleet (she said that Odessen was too well defended to attack, even with the fleet). I can't see my guys going back to either faction, anyway.

I agree, I wish we got to play more of the "Galactic Ruler" role that they had built up so much. I mean, we got a little bit of that feeling with changing the direction of the War for Iokath in 5.2. But they didn't really carry that over to the remainder of the Fractured Alliances storyline. For Umbara, Copero, and Nathema, you're pushed back into the role of this military agent that is responsible for getting things done, instead using your army/fleet to invade the various planets and hunt down your enemies, as we did on Iokath. So in essence, this is for the best, as it will make the stories all-around more logical.

Overall, though, this is another example of BioWare listening to the vocal parts of the community. We saw this before when the devs gave up the monthly Chapter approach and concluded the Zakuul storyline with the nine Eternal Throne chapters, instead of the intended twenty-five. Now we're seeing it again here, as the most vocal elements of the community have called for a change to the leadership role our character is in, as well as a return to the Republic v Empire storyline. While I personally enjoyed the Zakuul elements a lot, I am looking forward to see what they can do with an entire expansion that focuses on the Imp v Pub conflict. The past major xpacs have all dealt with third party enemies (Hutts, Revanites, Zakuulans) so it should be interesting with how they choose to proceed with the new storyline.

Edited by Kataret

• 2 months later...

This whole story line was poorly written and thought out. Theron Shan's whole story of going rouge was not fleshed out well and it has no real build up to the end.

But the absolute worst part is how you have them just want to give up and crawl back to the Empire or Republic? Are you kidding me?? You think America crawled back to Brittan for help after Japan blew the crap out of most of the American Fleet in Pearl Harbor? Nope, it made the Americans just want to fight that much harder and they ended up fighting 2 wars at the same time, when we took on the Germans at the same time. What the heck is up with them giving up? Zakkuul going independant ? for real? No way the Outlander would allow that because they could become a threat in the future. Again poorly written and thought out.

Obviously who ever wrote this does not know anything about history or politics at all. They still have Iokath technology, it would be easy for them to replace the fleet. Some body needs to hire some good writers, because BIoware story telling has gone into the trash bin lately.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
I find it incredibly depressing and pointless that after all that hard work to take the eternal throne and with it the fleet, it all gets instantly and effortlessly destroyed after such a short time.

We hardly got any meaningful or satisfactory use out of it. Instead it just gets swept away, like a bullying child stamping out some kid's massive sandcastle the moment they finished it. It feels like whoever designed this ending was deliberately trying to troll us, smugly sticking it to us and screaming "Ha Ha!!!".

Instead of wiping out everything, I would have been satisfied by Zildrog destroying SOME of the eternal fleet, like about 1/3 then damaging most of the rest. Then the 'gravestone' could sustain massive damage that puts it out of commission for a substantial period of time.

This would still result in a noticable setback for the Eternal Alliance, allowing the Republic and Empire to resume the centre stage without the Alliance smothering them as a third power, and without it smacking of writers spitefully giving us the middle finger exclaiming: "We're taking all your toys away after you worked so hard to get them just because we can."

If anything, I would have thought it nice for the eternal fleet (some of it) to have a role in the renewed Rep/imp war.

It is all done to follow the plot of the general story of star wars and to have Republic and empire fighting, while also to have a reason for when the sith empire to fall in 3630 BBY and only the republic remain as the major power until like the prequels.