This is a Strange Twist

Mithros

So with the new mix-and-match class and combat styles options I was curious about something.

I rolled a Smuggler and gave him the Mercenary combat style.

Next I had my Armormech make some armor for him. Older class-restricted armors.

The end result is that you can only wear class-restricted armor if it lines up with your combat style, but the appearance is that of your origin story's faction, not necessarily that of the class who's armor you are wearing.

In my case I made a Drelliad Jacket, a classic Smuggler look that I really like, and a Professional's Chestguard, a basic BH chestpiece.

https://torf.mmo-fashion.com/drelliad/

https://torf.mmo-fashion.com/professional/

My Smuggler can not wear the Smuggler-only Drelliad Jacket but can wear the Professional's chestguard.

The thing is, the chestguard doesn't show up as the Professional's Chestguard, instead it looks like the Hardened Plastifold Chestguard.

https://torf.mmo-fashion.com/hardened-plastifold/

So the upshot is that my Smuggler that uses a Bounty Hunter combat style ends up looking like a Trooper if he wears class-restricted armors, despite not having a Trooper origin story or a Trooper combat style..

Come on Devs... Either let the characters wear the gear according to their origin story (so Smugglers have access to all the Smuggler armors, Troopers have access to all the Trooper armors, and so on) or, if the combat style is going to determine the armor, let them keep the look of the armor as designed..

If my Smuggler is going to be choosing from armor styles that are restricted to BHs then at least let him look like a BH.

The problem is that all(1) crafted armour has two *different*(3) appearances, one for Impsiders and one for Pubsiders, and it is, indeed, determined by the character's home faction.

That said, I agree that if it's a BH-only piece (not allowed for Troopers), then the two appearances should both look like BH style, although this is the first time the question has arisen. Where it's more interesting is the ones that are e.g. Warrior or Trooper (there are a few like that, constrained to one class per faction, but not a pair of mirrors), and it's totally unclear how the appearance should behave.

(1) It might be only "most", but if it isn't *all*, it's nevertheless a very high percentage, and it's certainly *all* of the trainer(2) schematics introduced in 4.0 and later.

(2) The MK-4 and MK-14 schematics from 5.X command crates are an exception, but aren't trainer schematics either.

(3) I suspect that all armour has two appearances, but for e.g. CM pieces, the two appearances are identical.

I realize that all craftable armor has two appearances. It's one reason why I have kept an older character around, because my main has been a Trooper with armormech, but an old BH that has long-since been shelved was also an armormech and it has been useful to log that old BH on to preview what pieces and sets will look like on Imperial toons.

But I have a Smuggler that has a BH combat style. Trooper should never enter into the discussion.

If the game is going to tell me that my Smuggler is "really" A BH and limits me to those old BH-exclusive sets then I should get the BH appearance that goes with it.

But one way or the other.

Either I am still a Smuggler and should be able to wear the Drelliad gear (no adaptable armor has that same look) or I am a BH and should be able to look like a BH.

In the latter case I am not even expecting that from the adpatable armors. I am a Republic character and so get the Republic appearances. If that is ho wit works out then fine. Heck, even better, really.

I don't even necessarily expect it from the older "generic" armors, whether medium or heavy.

But when it comes to the class-restricted armors? If my combat style says I am limited to gear wearable by BHs? Then yeah, those armors should look like they do when worn by BHs.

And if they have to make a giant change and switch everything over to faction appearances based upon combat style then so be it.

Better that my "really a BH and not a Smuggler" Smuggler look like a BH than a Trooper.

When I want to look like a Trooper then I will play a Trooper, or at least someone with a Trooper combat style.

Edited by Mithros

• 2 weeks later...
So with the new mix-and-match class and combat styles options I was curious about something.

I rolled a Smuggler and gave him the Mercenary combat style.

Next I had my Armormech make some armor for him. Older class-restricted armors.

The end result is that you can only wear class-restricted armor if it lines up with your combat style, but the appearance is that of your origin story's faction, not necessarily that of the class who's armor you are wearing.

In my case I made a Drelliad Jacket, a classic Smuggler look that I really like, and a Professional's Chestguard, a basic BH chestpiece.

https://torf.mmo-fashion.com/drelliad/

https://torf.mmo-fashion.com/professional/

My Smuggler can not wear the Smuggler-only Drelliad Jacket but can wear the Professional's chestguard.

The thing is, the chestguard doesn't show up as the Professional's Chestguard, instead it looks like the Hardened Plastifold Chestguard.

https://torf.mmo-fashion.com/hardened-plastifold/

So the upshot is that my Smuggler that uses a Bounty Hunter combat style ends up looking like a Trooper if he wears class-restricted armors, despite not having a Trooper origin story or a Trooper combat style..

Come on Devs... Either let the characters wear the gear according to their origin story (so Smugglers have access to all the Smuggler armors, Troopers have access to all the Trooper armors, and so on) or, if the combat style is going to determine the armor, let them keep the look of the armor as designed..

If my Smuggler is going to be choosing from armor styles that are restricted to BHs then at least let him look like a BH.

Yeah I discovered ths issue and it's funny because it affects companions too. I crafted one of the old headsets from archive schems on my sith assassin, put it on theron shan snd it turned into s full blown dopey helmet. Like wth?

Edited by Darthmoriquendi