Medpacs vs Med Units - any different restrictions?

coruscantdweller

I see that med units heal you and your companion, while medpacs only heal you, but for a bit more. Medpacs are obviously preferred in endgame content, where players do not have companions with them (at least I think they don't but I have not yet done any operations or other endgame content).

My question is, are there restrictions on med units that don't apply to medpacs? If a disorganized/unprepared player accidentally brought med units with them into an operation, but no medpacs, would the med units be usable? The companion healing would obviously be irrelevant but if medpacs and med units simply share a cooldown, can either one be used in any situation where the other is allowed, or are there different rules for each?

I have no intention of falling into the disorganized/unprepared category, and I'm not sure if I'll even do any endgame content, but the answer to this question seems like potentially useful information and I couldn't find it after googling for 15 minutes.

Re: presence of companions in content:

There are three types of "endgame" content:

* Operations (equivalent of 8- or 16-player raids), where companions are just plain not allowed.

* Flashpoint (approximately 4-participant dungeons), where companions are allowed if there aren't enough players participating (4 players, 3 players + 1 companion, 2 players + 2 companions, or any short group, notably 1+1).

* Uprisings (approximately short-run dungeons, think GW2 Fractals == Uprisings, Dungeons = Flashpoints), where companions are allowed.

Thank you - that is helpful.

In that case, my question boils down to, "Are med units allowed in operations for players to heal themselves (though the companion healing function would obviously be irrelevant), or are only medpacs allowed there?"

Not sure what the "hard" rules (imposed by the game) are, but clearly, if they notice, your fellow players are going to *prefer* that you use medpacks if there aren't any companions around.

But most of them won't notice the difference.