Help picking spec for Jedi Knight/Sith Warrior

Matenki

so i have narrowed it down to jedi knight/ Sith warrior Leaning more to sith but anyway i only really know guardian Vigilance up to level 50 what are the other spec's like? Like is watchmen blowing all other jedi knight spec out of the water, is it really complicated, or is concentration a middle ground of difficulty and still good single and aoe damage? Insight into the specs would be helpful.

Prefacing this with an "this is my opinion"

Defense/immortal - tank, a very good one

Vigi/vengeance - you indicated you already play, my personal favorite

Focus/rage - fun, but sorta pointless since concentration/fury exists

Watchman/Anni - more traditional dot spec than vigi/vengeance. Does good damage but definitely has a ramp up time

Combat/carnage - fun but sorta pointless since concentration exists

Concentration/fury - fun, easy to pick up, good immunity, all things being equal, this would be the spec I recommended.

But I like guardians better so my main is defense guardians that spend more time in vigi these days because tanking is basically pointless outside of ops/MM FPs. And even there you can occasionally get away without a tank.

TLDR: concentration/fury

I agree with what KendraP said above. A few other things to think about:

You asked if watchman/annihilation is blowing everything else away. Short answer, no. It is strong, but Vigilance/Vengeance and Concentration/Fury have very similar overall damage output.

You asked if Concentration is a middle ground in ease of rotation. Short answer, yes. Concentration has more of a set rotation while Watchman has more of a priority system, and I believe rotations are easier to learn than priority systems because they only require memorization. In addition, target swapping is easier on Concentration. The only thing harder about concentration is it is harder to recover from a mistake in your rotation, watchman is actually more forgiving in that regard.

You asked about aoe versus single target damage. Concentration has good AoE burst but less AoE sustained dmg than Watchman. Watchman has very slightly better single target sustained damage than Concentration. Concentration beats Watchman on single target burst and when target swapping.

Final note about Combat/carnage: This is the so called learning spec for sentinel/marauder. It has the easiest rotation, good burst, and is fun. In exchange, it is one of the worst specs in the game for overall damage output. Don’t run combat/carnage in NiM operations. For all other content it is viable, just not ideal.

Clarification: I over-generalized when I said rotations are easier to learn than priority systems. For example, arsenal Merc is a priority system but is stupidly easy to learn. Watchman’s priority system is harder to learn because you have to manage 3 dots (refreshing one of them periodically) while using merciless slash on CD Ann’s your fillers are RNG dependent to some extent.

I agree with what KendraP said above. A few other things to think about:

You asked if watchman/annihilation is blowing everything else away. Short answer, no. It is strong, but Vigilance/Vengeance and Concentration/Fury have very similar overall damage output.

You asked if Concentration is a middle ground in ease of rotation. Short answer, yes. Concentration has more of a set rotation while Watchman has more of a priority system, and I believe rotations are easier to learn than priority systems because they only require memorization. In addition, target swapping is easier on Concentration. The only thing harder about concentration is it is harder to recover from a mistake in your rotation, watchman is actually more forgiving in that regard.

You asked about aoe versus single target damage. Concentration has good AoE burst but less AoE sustained dmg than Watchman. Watchman has very slightly better single target sustained damage than Concentration. Concentration beats Watchman on single target burst and when target swapping.

Final note about Combat/carnage: This is the so called learning spec for sentinel/marauder. It has the easiest rotation, good burst, and is fun. In exchange, it is one of the worst specs in the game for overall damage output. Don’t run combat/carnage in NiM operations. For all other content it is viable, just not ideal.

a) i disagree on carnage. you can clear all nim content with it.

b) concentration definetly has its flaw. 1. you cant use zealous leap on every boss (e.g. revan, terror....)

2. zealous leap repositions you in an arkward way and makes things more

complicated than they are.

c) (more for kendra) what a focus guardian has that a concentration sent doesnt? its called armor debuff and its very important.

c) (more for kendra) what a focus guardian has that a concentration sent doesnt? its called armor debuff and its very important.

wait do u mean from sundering strike? or did they add something new to the spec?

cuz i'd trade all the armor debuffin in the world for 6 second CC immunity every 24 seconds.

a) i disagree on carnage. you can clear all nim content with it.

b) concentration definetly has its flaw. 1. you cant use zealous leap on every boss (e.g. revan, terror....)

2. zealous leap repositions you in an arkward way and makes things more

complicated than they are.

I shouldn’t even have brought up carnage as relating to nim content.... OP has 1 lvl 50 toon, he’s likely not doing NiM. Depending on what he’s doing he won’t have to worry about the reposition on concentration’s zealous leap either. But thanks for pointing that out.

There are other classes with the armor debuff... AP PT gets it on rocket punch. I always thought the debuff doesn’t stack so depending on comp wouldnt a guardian’s debuff be redundant?

There are other classes with the armor debuff... AP PT gets it on rocket punch. I always thought the debuff doesn’t stack so depending on comp wouldnt a guardian’s debuff be redundant?

I mean I even prefaced my statement with it being my opinion. I suppose I should have added a "in my opinion for a levelling/casual player".

But I won't be able to give my opinion here much longer so it's moot anyway.

To answer your question, yes, and I too have serious doubts the OP was referencing NiM.

It's true that it doesn't stack (like all of the debuffs that increase a targets damage taken), but you might very well find yourself without a spec that has it in your group. That said, you'd probably always pick Vengeance over Rage, and Vengeance gets the armour debuff, so it's a bit of a moot point.