KOTET opinion and Vette or Torian choices (SPOILERS)

Swingkittie

The game wants me to care about Vette so bad it's sometimes pathetic. Meet up with Theron on Iokath: "Hey Commander, we're in arse knows where with no idea how we got here, surrounded by murderous droids and Vaylin's troops, not to mention Vaylin herself is somewhere here...." -- "That's not important Theron, better tell me IS VETTE ALRIGHT?!!!!!" And then later you get another chance to pee your pants in joy that Vette is alright, hallelujah! Really? You bypass your war-forged friends and love interests, but Vette is so special that my characters waste a precious dialogue option (and that would be 33% of choices), on "OMG is Vette okay???" Tell you what, game -- I don't give a rat's arse about her. And after saving her on one character just for variety, I'm gonna choose Torian over this annoying writer's pet on all and every other character I'll ever run KOTET with.

imo this is an excellent reason to save Torian for all future run throughs.

Ya I just did a trooper and just finished those quests and I chose to save Torian, made more sense for a soldier to pick another soldier. I'll probably never use him. I've saved Vette on the majority of my toons I just wanted to do something different this time in case they ever added something related to the person you saved, I would be able to do it on at least one character.

First couple times i went through KOTET were with characters who had no particular bond with any of them : IA, JK and Trooper, so i had to go for the more pragmatic choice.

- Torian is a fighter, a clan leader who is respected by Mandalore, your link with an army of Mandalorians and is willing to help them change their ways to become better allies to the Alliance, which makes him pretty valuable.

- Vette is 1 person with some skills that other people in the Alliance also have such as T7, Theron or even Kaliyo or Talos and they potentially can do things better than her, and she has no particluar influence that'd be really usefull to the Alliance.

Which is why i chose to save Torian on these characters.

Add to that that he usually has a higher influence than her on pretty much all my toons, that he's my main BH's husband while she's not any of my toon's LI because my main SW is female and my male SW has the hots for Quinn, that she practically begs you to sacrifice Torian to save her (i think she litterally does that on SWs), which really rubs me the wrong way and that Torian is the youngest companion.

All of this is why i ended up saving Torian on pretty much all my toons afterwards, even though i don't dislike Vette, i only saved her once to see how it went and have since deleted the character.

I'd save them both if it was possible, i'd gladly save Vette over Ashara or Kaliyo, but i just happen to like Torian more than her, so i'd rather loose her than him.

I'll be honest, I highly disagree with the notion that Vette is less valuable than Torian. And I'm sick of all these people claiming otherwise.

If you ask me, Torian's status as a link to the Mandolorians is rendered completely redundant and meaningless by the fact Shae Vizla is part of my crew. With Mandolore herself hanging around, the only thing Torian has to offer is his combat skill, and strong soldiers are a dime a dozen in the Alliance. Jorgan, Koth, HK-55, Forex, Qyzen, the list goes on and on, and that's not even getting into the number of people whose primary talent is in other fields, but are nonetheless good fighters as well. However, the Alliance has only a handful of people with Vette's skills with tech. To put it this way, the Alliance has a lot of people who can blow up a massive gun, but only a few who can reverse-engineer the gun and make it work for you.

Don't get me wrong, I can still see merit in saving Torian. (I've played through the Eternal Empire story twice, and I did save Torian in one.) But I think a lot of people have simplistic thinking if they believe he is inherently more valuable.

(BTW, is Torian really the youngest companion? Cause I'm pretty Vette is quite young herself.)

• Like 2

I'll be honest, I highly disagree with the notion that Vette is less valuable than Torian. And I'm sick of all these people claiming otherwise.

If you ask me, Torian's status as a link to the Mandolorians is rendered completely redundant and meaningless by the fact Shae Vizla is part of my crew. With Mandolore herself hanging around, the only thing Torian has to offer is his combat skill, and strong soldiers are a dime a dozen in the Alliance. Jorgan, Koth, HK-55, Forex, Qyzen, the list goes on and on, and that's not even getting into the number of people whose primary talent is in other fields, but are nonetheless good fighters as well. However, the Alliance has only a handful of people with Vette's skills with tech. To put it this way, the Alliance has a lot of people who can blow up a massive gun, but only a few who can reverse-engineer the gun and make it work for you.

Don't get me wrong, I can still see merit in saving Torian. (I've played through the Eternal Empire story twice, and I did save Torian in one.) But I think a lot of people have simplistic thinking if they believe he is inherently more valuable.

(BTW, is Torian really the youngest companion? Cause I'm pretty Vette is quite young herself.)

You're free to consider Vette more valuable, just as other people are free to see Torian as more valuable than her.

I'm not sure Shae is actually hanging out on Odessen, she's probably busy with the Mandalorians, and she's certainly not if you don't have her as a companion, and Torian is appointed as your link with the Mandalorians by Shae during KOTFE 14, like Raina becomes your link with the Chiss Ascendancy after Copero.

This is subjective anyways, but i see more companions being able to do the same things as Vette (the likes of Theron, Lana, T7, Talos, Yuun, Kaliyo or Blizz) than Torian who is the only one besides Shae who has any kind of influence with the Mandalorians and it seems that might be usefull in the next story bits.

So, to me, he is more valuable than her, and i really don't like how she tries to guild me into sacrificing him to save her.

Torian is 18 when you meet him at the end of chapter 1 / begining of chapter 2, Vette is 21 when you meet her on Korriban during the prologue, she's definitely older than him, and he is the youngest companion.

You're free to consider Vette more valuable, just as other people are free to see Torian as more valuable than her.

I'm not sure Shae is actually hanging out on Odessen, she's probably busy with the Mandalorians, and she's certainly not if you don't have her as a companion, and Torian is appointed as your link with the Mandalorians by Shae during KOTFE 14, like Raina becomes your link with the Chiss Ascendancy after Copero.

This is subjective anyways, but i see more companions being able to do the same things as Vette (the likes of Theron, Lana, T7, Talos, Yuun, Kaliyo or Blizz) than Torian who is the only one besides Shae who has any kind of influence with the Mandalorians and it seems that might be usefull in the next story bits.

So, to me, he is more valuable than her, and i really don't like how she tries to guild me into sacrificing him to save her.

Torian is 18 when you meet him at the end of chapter 1 / begining of chapter 2, Vette is 21 when you meet her on Korriban during the prologue, she's definitely older than him, and he is the youngest companion.

Source on ages, please?

As for Shae, the story reason for her becoming a companion is making the alliance between the Mandolorians and the Alliance official. Torian may have been a link before that point, but you can easily argue that he's served his purpose once the alliance is official. Raina's link is similarly mostly because the Chiss are not allied with the Alliance. Also...

I'm not sure Shae is actually hanging out on Odessen, she's probably busy with the Mandalorians, and she's certainly not if you don't have her as a companion

Unless you haven't recruited her, incorrect. She can be seen in Aygo's hanger along with some of her Mandolorian buddies. The implication is that the Mandolorians have overall moved in.

I can the merit in keeping Torian around if you don't have Shae. But if you DO have Shae, I just cannot see what Torian has to offer besides fighting, which almost everyone in the alliance is capable of. (Also, I'm guessing you're referring to the Dar'manda scene when you mention the Mandolorians being suggested to be useful in upcoming story bits? Seeing as Shae, like Torian, has a unique scene when you deal with them, it's pretty obvious she can do his job just as well.) And while it is true that there are other people who can do Vette's work, there aren't many, especially in comparison to people who have the claim to fame of "good with a blaster."

(P.S. I'm sorry if I'm acting a bit irritable. But I am so sick of people in this thread underselling Vette, treating her like trash, insisting that there is no merit to saving her, and that emotions and liking her are the only reasons why one would. Which simply is not true.)

Source on ages, please?

Hm, don't really remember where, i think i saw it on these forums, and on wookieepedia and other forums, but i think it was taken from the Encyclopedia, as the ages i saw on different places were the same.

As for Shae, the story reason for her becoming a companion is making the alliance between the Mandolorians and the Alliance official. Torian may have been a link before that point, but you can easily argue that he's served his purpose once the alliance is official. Raina's link is similarly mostly because the Chiss are not allied with the Alliance. Also...

Unless you haven't recruited her, incorrect. She can be seen in Aygo's hanger along with some of her Mandolorian buddies. The implication is that the Mandolorians have overall moved in.

Hylo also states the Mandalorians are protecting our ships in Hearts and Minds, so i'd guess they're not constantly on Odessen anyways. And the Alliance being official doesn't mean an ambassador is not usefull anymore as Mandalore probably has other things to do than stick on Odessen.

And as Torian is one of the few Mandalorian supporting Shae in changing their ways, he's still usefull if you don't want all of them to turn against you...

I can the merit in keeping Torian around if you don't have Shae. But if you DO have Shae, I just cannot see what Torian has to offer besides fighting, which almost everyone in the alliance is capable of. (Also, I'm guessing you're referring to the Dar'manda scene when you mention the Mandolorians being suggested to be useful in upcoming story bits? Seeing as Shae, like Torian, has a unique scene when you deal with them, it's pretty obvious she can do his job just as well.) And while it is true that there are other people who can do Vette's work, there aren't many, especially in comparison to people who have the claim to fame of "good with a blaster."

Nope i was refering to today's livestream, it seems there will be something involving the Mandalorians in a future update, so i'd hope that there would be slight differences there whether Torian is still alive or not.

Besides Akaavi also has specific dialogues on Mek-sha, even if she's only available to BHs and smugglers, and as such can't replace Shae or Torian, so that's more like the dev deciding to give these extras to all Mando companions because we were dealing with a former Mando, than anything else.

(P.S. I'm sorry if I'm acting a bit irritable. But I am so sick of people in this thread underselling Vette, treating her like trash, insisting that there is no merit to saving her, and that emotions and liking her are the only reasons why one would. Which simply is not true.)

While she can be valuable, she's not irreplaceable (she's dead on nearly all my toons, ecept the pub ones i got straight to Ossus, and i never missed any kind of content with her so far) and you can't deny there's also a "cuteness factor" in saving her as some who decide to save her over him actually save the "cute little girl" rather than the "pretty boy".

The fact that the game seems to force you somehow to look like your character totally cares about her more than the other companions on Iokath (even more than our LIs who are also there), and that she's by default saved on 5 classes out of 8 (don't understand why she's the default for pubs as she's not a pub companion and is no more LS than Torian is as she approves of quite a lot of DS choices and he approves of quite a lot of LS choices, they'd be pretty much the same on the LS/DS spectrum), doesn't help as it looks like they wanted you to care about her and decide to save her over him because of some sort of sympathy for her.

So that really makes it looks like Torian is the more rational choice, while Vette is the more emotional one, even if it's not necessarily the case.

Hm, don't really remember where, i think i saw it on these forums, and on wookieepedia and other forums, but i think it was taken from the Encyclopedia, as the ages i saw on different places were the same.

Hylo also states the Mandalorians are protecting our ships in Hearts and Minds, so i'd guess they're not constantly on Odessen anyways. And the Alliance being official doesn't mean an ambassador is not usefull anymore as Mandalore probably has other things to do than stick on Odessen.

And as Torian is one of the few Mandalorian supporting Shae in changing their ways, he's still usefull if you don't want all of them to turn against you...

I highly doubt all of them will turn against me regardless, especially considering I still did help them out immensely during their starring day in KOTFE, giving them the info they needed and ensuring the attack went smoothly.

Nope i was refering to today's livestream, it seems there will be something involving the Mandalorians in a future update, so i'd hope that there would be slight differences there whether Torian is still alive or not.

Besides Akaavi also has specific dialogues on Mek-sha, even if she's only available to BHs and smugglers, and as such can't replace Shae or Torian, so that's more like the dev deciding to give these extras to all Mando companions because we were dealing with a former Mando, than anything else.

Haven't seen that livestream. Guess I'll take a look. Though somehow, I have a feeling Torian's role will amount to more of a bonus than anything truly significant.

While she can be valuable, she's not irreplaceable (she's dead on nearly all my toons, ecept the pub ones i got straight to Ossus, and i never missed any kind of content with her so far) and you can't deny there's also a "cuteness factor" in saving her as some who decide to save her over him actually save the "cute little girl" rather than the "pretty boy".

The fact that the game seems to force you somehow to look like your character totally cares about her more than the other companions on Iokath (even more than our LIs who are also there), and that she's by default saved on 5 classes out of 8 (don't understand why she's the default for pubs as she's not a pub companion and is no more LS than Torian is as she approves of quite a lot of DS choices and he approves of quite a lot of LS choices, they'd be pretty much the same on the LS/DS spectrum), doesn't help as it looks like they wanted you to care about her and decide to save her over him because of some sort of sympathy for her.

So that really makes it looks like Torian is the more rational choice, while Vette is the more emotional one, even if it's not necessarily the case.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, not only is Torian not irreplaceable either, he's even more expendable than Vette considering the sheer number of people I have who are good shots with a blaster. (It's not like Mandolorians are exactly rare either. And I'm confident enough in the respect I've earned from them.) Doesn't help that I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about when you say the Outlander cares about her more than others. As far I recall, my lightsided Outlander cared about everyone, and had some notable moments on Iokath with Torian as well. This "cuteness factor" you speak of is completely subjective. Not to mention that Torian's "pretty boy" appearance would make him emotionally appealing for similar reasons.

As for the Pub saving her, she is obviously a lightsided companion. She and Torian are not the same on the LS/DS spectrum. There are very few dark choices Vette approves of. From time to time, you may find a victim who you can kill and she'll be fine, thinking they deserve it, but otherwise, she has a very strong morals and regularly favors light over dark. As for Torian, while it is true that he is not dark-sided, he isn't light either; he approves of just as many dark sided choices as he approves light. He's a Mando; while he does have a code of honor, said code is of a violent "war is glorious" nature compared to what a more conventionally moral person would think noble. He's overall a neutral-aligned companion. Also, keep in mind that historically, the Mandolorians were allies of the Empire and enemies of the Republic.

You can say all you want that saving Torian is "more rational". I do not agree. I think his skills are a dime a dozen, and that any political issues can be prevented by recruiting Shae and making efforts to earn the respect of the Mandos when you interact with them. I'm pretty sure they will not hold Torian's death against me. They are well aware that their lifestyle often ends in death. As long as I show them the proper respect, I don't think I have anything to worry about. (Fun fact: I've heard that there are two possible emails you can get if Torian dies, based on the state of the Mandolorians as a whole, which is determined by your choices in their KOTFE chapter. Which just further leads me to believe I'm in the clear with them.) In fact, I think it could just as easily be said that saving Torian is the less rational choice, as it could be seen as judging superfically and saving the guy whose abilities are overt and obvious versus the girl whose talents are subtle and less obvious, or dumbing him and Vette down to their fighting ability and opting to save the guy with brawn over the girl with brain. And your political concerns could be interpreted as paranoia and expecting a warrior culture who considers going out fighting to be a worthy end to betray you over something that wouldn't bother them much to begin with.

Edited by rashencyberspeed

• 11 months later...

Oh holy stars... I'm playing this chapters for the first time with a LS female JK and I have no idea whom I would choose...

The thing is, I am a fan of very weird backgrounds, so in my headcanons my JK is actually a Mandalorian Knight - a Jedi who was semi-officially accepted into a Mandalorian clan as a mando'ad. She even wears this recently added Mandalorian armour set. Also she was studying Mandalorian culture way before her decision to switch sides, so she has a quite deep and mature understanding of Resol'nare and other aspects of mandalorian philosophy. She understands Mandalorian values deeply but at the same time she understands that there's no honour in being reckless and that sometimes it's better to retreat today, but win gloriously tomorrow.

And that's where a moral dilemma comes in place. My JK threats Torian as her ad'ika - younger brother, - because he played a major role in her final establishment as a Mando'ad and because they've come through a lot together. And for a Mandalorian, family is a number 1 priority, alongside with honour. But she knows Torian's backstory and all this drama with his father being a traitor. Combination of Mandalorian view on reality and Jedi wisdom makes my JK make a conclusion that potentially, Torian is still traumatized by his father's betrayal and lost his way as a Mando in a particular sense. His decision to kill his own clan, when she is re-thinking this moment later, only proves this theory for her even more because she sees how Torian prioritizes honour over lives of his family, especially remembering Fett's complains about all this war against droids.

So yeah, she deeply cares about Torian and deep inside she wants him to heal his wounds and really become a glorious clan leader in the future, and she also knows that he is very young and simply don't have as much experience as her. But on the other hand, she trusts his combat skills and tries to not protect him too much and not to be over-caring because she knows that Torian would not like it. And also all this years of being "just a Jedi" haven't gone without leaving impact on her personality, so an instinct or prioritizing civilians over soldiers is still here deep inside her brain.

So on the one hand, we have an older sister who would kill an army to protect her brother.

On the other hand, we have an instinct of prioritizing civs over soldiers, trusting Torian's skills and desire to not push alternative agenda on him.

I... Literally have no idea what factors would affect my JK's decision more.

I admit to not reading all the way through 20 pages of posts.

However, in the pages I did read, I didn't see anyone considering the effect on the Mandalorians potentially seeing his death as important and actually more glorious than many here apparently see it as. Martyrdom is a thing, and I could easily see them looking to Torian's death as something they should look up to, and that that might well strengthen the Alliance / Mandalorian alliance as well as his living.

All I will say is that my trooper is getting a little tired of having to choose; she eventually always chooses Torian. I get frustrated by then having the one you don't choose (in this case, and a trooper story quest, as well) not accept their fate, choosing instead to beg and whine. She'd respect them more in memory if they'd either gotten mad (rather than whiny) or were more like yet another choice situation, where a former squadmate is a little more stoic in the end.

Yes, she chooses Torian -- but at this point, when I replay the situation, it's at least somewhat because Vette doesn't have that resolution in the face of death. (Huh. Maybe I *am* the monster some folks think of me as... [in game, not IRL])

Practically speaking, Vette wields dual blaster pistols, and dual wielding companions do slightly more dps or heals per second than single-wielders. So, if it is truly a toss-up, I'll choose Vette.

On my sith warriors I have always chosen Vette, and on my BH's I have always chosen Torian, for obvious reasons.

I had one Trooper that I pretended was tired of all this "Force" nonsense by the Emperor and all the damage he caused. I wanted that character's Alliance to have the best military response. So, I intentionally skipped most of the Force-related alliance alerts to minimize their impact, and I chose Torian because it was the better military strategy.

When you choose to reinforce Vette instead, Torian sounds a little more disappointed than I would expect a Mandalorian to sound, but the more I've replayed it over the years, I think I understand his sentiments more.

My only concerns are now with the benefit of hindsight, because

In the Spirit of Vengeance flashpoint, Field Marshall Heta Kol and her followers are after the clan Cadera banner. Presumably, Torian would have something to say about that, but I haven't actually gotten a BH through that part of the post-Onslaught/post Echoes story yet, so I don't know if he says anything different or if Shae and the player have any different dialogue at the conclusion of the flashpoint if Torian is still alive. I'm ready to start it soon though. I don't know what Heta says in Mando'a in that epilogue scene, but I wonder if she is a long lost relative of Torian. I realize people don't have to be genetically related to be incorporated into a Mandalorian clan, but Torian was the son of the traitor. In any event, should I find out that there is some different dialogue, and Torian does have something to say about Clan Cadera's banner being stolen, it might change my overall approach with characters moving forward, as there are plenty of dual wielding ranged companions available post-Knights besides Vette: Theron, Hemdil Tre, Nico Okarr just off the top of my head.

More details shamelessly plucked from Wookieepedia and edited in later because its been so long:

, the one who orchestrated the blockade of Hydian Way, being an imperial puppet. He was challenged by Mandalore the Vindicated. Torian's father, Jicoln, never accepted Mandalore the Vindicated's rule and rebelled (
and this), believing the Mandalorians should support the Republic.

Finally, this:

Heta Kol says, Mando'ad draar digu, which apparently means, "A Mandalorian never forgets." So, no clear reference to being a relative of Jicoln Cadera, but perhaps she was from one of the other 4 clans that rebelled. As a general rule, I do not see how Shae Vizla, Mandalore the Avenger, and the rebellion against her are the same as the actions of Artus Lok, Mandalore the Vindicated, and Jicoln's rebellion against him, other than the fact that they are both rebellions.

Edited by phalczen

As expected, my BH who saved Torian of course had a different experience with the story mode of the Spirit of Vengeance flashpoint than my consular and smuggler, one that correctly accounts for their shared experiences. Now, I'll have to try it with my Trooper who also saved Torian to see how the second-to-last cutscene plays out. If that too is interesting, it may change my decisions on other characters moving forward.

I've suddenly realized that if we choose to look on the situation not from the practicality or emotionality point of view, but imagine ourselves as writers who need to push the plot forward and to show character development in the story, than saving Torian, surprisingly, starts making slightly more sense - at least for me.

The response of the Commander heavily depends on their particular personality, but let's imagine that we can adapt it to a desirable choice. So, we have three characters who're important in this episode and who would make direct influence on further events - Torian, Vette and Vaylin. So what would work better in this scene?

If we choose Vette, the result is following:

1) Almost none character development for Vette. She got into trouble and was saved... again. Knowing her backstory and personality, I can easily assume that it would not be the first situation like that in her life, and it probably won't teach her to be more careful - vice versa, after being saved from a situation she's trapped into because of her own recklessness, she might become even more reckless.

2) Character development for Torian is huge - he finally realizes that honour might not be the top priority in life, - but he gets this character development something like half of an hour before his deaths, and it doesn't matter much for the story.

3) Vaylin kills a soldier - cruel, but predictable situation, which is not much touching for the player and also looses a bit of flavor in Vaylin's craziness.

If we save Torian:

1) Vette might not have character development but she stays true to herself until the end, and the fact that she is, usually, lovable by players, makes this scene really heart-breaking while not loosing much of character potential for the future.

2) Torian gets the same character development of re-thinking his priorities in life. Additionally to this, the Commander gives him a good example of a new way of life - we can easily draw a parallel between Torian killing his own clan, and the Commander saving him when he was in basically the same situation but with the roles changed.

3) Vaylin kills Vette, showing us that she does not hesitate of killing a vulnerable unarmed civilian who can't do anything to her - and that she even enjoys the process. A huge indicator of how much Vaylin have fallen into madness.

So for the sake of the story, saving Torian is more "profitable" from the writer's perspective.

So for the sake of the story, saving Torian is more "profitable" from the writer's perspective.

This is a great way to think about the decision, thanks for writing this up, especially in light of

his further development in Spirit of Vengeance.

• 1 month later...

As was stated before, I would have preferred a way to save both, like in terms of ME2. Vette and Torian are 2 of my favorite Comps... I have a rather long list of Comps I would have preferred to take the place of either one of them. Gault, Skadge, Broonmark, Scorpio, Zenith, Revel, Quinn, Guss, Tano Vik, and Yuun to mention a few (most of em, and I know not all these Comps are available to you at the point of the story, but its a wish for this at this point, so I am wishing. lol) Kaliyo would also be on here, but I feel she grew a LOT in the Knights xpacs.

I get that the Companion List has become INSANE as of late, but honestly, I felt that killing off a Comp for any reason was not needed, and forcing a choice, as already stated, makes me feel that both these Comps will have diminished roles in future Xpacs, and that is sad v.v

Hi.

Personally, i saved Torian on all characters, even Sith Warrior and Republic ones because

I'm afraid of the way story will evolve , what if Heta Kol challenges the Commander( Outlander,beroya ,and so on) to yet another Mandalorian death game ? What if , if Torian is alive, he can explain the rules and help you win? Some will say ok, but Rass Ordo and Shae Vizla can do that too, well not everyone has Shae as a companion and there's no guarantee the Ordo brothers will be a part of future stories.

Better safe than sorry.

I save Torian because I like him more. I did save Vette a couple of times just to be different. However, there's a bug in saving Vette. You or your Companion can easily aggro the enemies around her and have to kill them before the game gives you the quest to do so. When that happens there are no enemies to kill when the quest is given, and you can't continue the game. You have to log out and start the rescue over. I'm saving Torian from now on.

I have never saved Torian. Even my Bounty Hunter who married Torian did not save him. I was done with him after the chapter he returns in. He kills a whole building full of fellow Mandalorians and just says, "They knew what they signed up for". After that I was like alright, he knew what he signed up for as well.

I have never saved Torian. Even my Bounty Hunter who married Torian did not save him. I was done with him after the chapter he returns in. He kills a whole building full of fellow Mandalorians and just says, "They knew what they signed up for". After that I was like alright, he knew what he signed up for as well.

Those fellow Mandalorians were willing to sacrifice themselves for Mandalore and for weapons to break the siege of their homeworlds, as Khomo Fett promised them.

Vette knew what she was signing up for too, she was a grown up woman capable of making her own decisions, in this case she made a very bad one and i don't see why Torian has to pay for that - Vette knew from the beginning that joining the Alliance won't be a walk in the park, didn't she? Also, she know she is not a trained soldier and sneaking behind enemy lines could end in her being captured/killed.

One other aspect - Vette brings nothing to the table, absolutely nothing at all, so personally i don't feel like sacrificing a soldier to save a woman who's acting like a child , makes very bad decisions and does not assume responsibility for them.

I see your point there and you are for sure not the only one.

Yet I must admit I really liked the decision as it made that point of story very interesting to me. Could partly be explained by the fact that I first played that mission with a boosted Jedi Sentinel where I hadn't finished any story and so it had no great impact on me-

But even as I finished the Sith Warrior and Bounty Hunter story, I still liked it, though I really am "attached" to both Torian and Vette.

I think sacrificing one of them really showed the characters personal ideology. Especially if you chose Torian over Vette as a Sith Warrior and the other way around with the Bounty Hunter. It was also quite realistic that at some point some of our companions' stories with us must end.

I can't explain it but I don't really like a story that is too good willing on both our character and their friends/companions etc. The loss of one who is so close to us made that battle over all exciting and just like my taste.

But now, there are characters I deeply love and I couldn't "handle" them "disappearing" in whatever way. So, I get why people are frustrated that Vette and Torian got chosen in particular as they are referred to as some of the best romance options and companions with the best background story. As many other companions don't even return and others can be killed if wanted, I see that it annoys people to see one of the main roots to the class story just be sacrificed.

Over all, it was still a very interesting decision to me but I see why some people would like them to be brought back somehow.

• 1 month later...
I see your point there and you are for sure not the only one.

Yet I must admit I really liked the decision as it made that point of story very interesting to me. Could partly be explained by the fact that I first played that mission with a boosted Jedi Sentinel where I hadn't finished any story and so it had no great impact on me-

But even as I finished the Sith Warrior and Bounty Hunter story, I still liked it, though I really am "attached" to both Torian and Vette.

I think sacrificing one of them really showed the characters personal ideology. Especially if you chose Torian over Vette as a Sith Warrior and the other way around with the Bounty Hunter. It was also quite realistic that at some point some of our companions' stories with us must end.

I can't explain it but I don't really like a story that is too good willing on both our character and their friends/companions etc. The loss of one who is so close to us made that battle over all exciting and just like my taste.

But now, there are characters I deeply love and I couldn't "handle" them "disappearing" in whatever way. So, I get why people are frustrated that Vette and Torian got chosen in particular as they are referred to as some of the best romance options and companions with the best background story. As many other companions don't even return and others can be killed if wanted, I see that it annoys people to see one of the main roots to the class story just be sacrificed.

Over all, it was still a very interesting decision to me but I see why some people would like them to be brought back somehow.

I completely agree. I made this post originally and it has been nice to read through all the comments. I sometimes wonder if they had brought back some other loved companions like Kira for example during the height of the KOFTE/KOTET expansion if we would have had the choice to let her die. She is one that many people love. It would be like choosing between Lana or Theron or another set of companions that people are split on or like equally. I know you have those who will say "I can't stand so and so" and of course that would make the decision easy. But I think most people generally like our companions. Maybe I am strange in that aspect, but I find something to like in all of them - even ones that are created with the intent to annoy people.

Some people are very attached to these companions because of their interesting back stories. Thinking back now it makes sense why they chose Vette and Torian. Even the chapters leading up to the choice you get to work independently with them in the chapters (like the Iokath chapter). It leads up to the moment when you have to decide between them. They are both good characters. I like the voice actors and the personality they bring.

Torian is also there at the end when you claim the throne. I think in a lot of ways this shows Torian's overall importance to the story over Vette and this is well noted in the current content like - Mek-sha and the Mandalorian storyline. It seems that following through with saving Torian proved to be a wise decision. At least he is still being utilized whereas Vette is no where in sight (if one chose to save her). I am not sure if the writers plan on bringing her into future storylines but for now it seems saving Torian was a wise move.

I split my decision between multiple characters on this choice. However, I have only done a replay chapter where I chose Vette as a Bounty Hunter or Torian as a Sith Warrior. It is interesting, especially if your character romanced them what their reactions are to the choice. Especially with Vette it made me feel sad and when you choose a mean response - wow. But I give the devs some props on that for making the dialogue exchange good.

Hopefully Vette will be utilized in future storylines for those who opted to save her.

• 1 year later...

Hello, here we go again.

As a late player, I met that situation a few days ago. People warned me that those extensions will make comps disappear (getting away or killed).

I played a male Wrath only until now. Who married Vette. So you can guess how it happened:

Torian: "I have some trouble, please help!"

Wrath: "Okay, we're on our way right now. Hold on pal, you'll get outta here."

Vette: "I'm surroun..."

Wrath: "GO FOR VETTE ALREADY!"

While I understand everyone's point, I think this would be the more logical decision for a SW Commander. As all leaders, you have flaws and weaknesses. And Sith are about emotions, passions, and somehow selfishness. I may played an Empire-loyal character, LS, pragmatic and willing to help rather killing. But when it comes to his friends (or in this case, his love), the whole galaxy can burn, even by his hand if it shall. No leadership, no Alliance worth his LI.

However, since Showdown on Ruhnuk is released and we can see Torian on the official picture, I guess now the "right" path is to sacrifice Vette. I'm sad about that, I love her for the same reasons other people in this topic told (sassy, a heart-warming persona...) and Torian was not more than a nobody to me, but we're not the storytellers.

Anyway, I disagree two things people who didn't like or saved Vette told.

"She is expendable because Theron, T7 or Lana can slice computers as well".

Well yes, but as people already said, that kind of specs are rare comparing to riflemen. And I think Lana, as a Force and lightsaber user, can be a great ground agent. So if someone can replace her while she's in mission, that's a pro. On the other hand, we're far to lack soldiers. I get the point that Torian could be a "bridge" between Alliance and Mandos, and that's a valuable one, however you can't decently say Vette's no use for the Alliance.

And when it comes to "How's Vette?" on Iokath, well... I played that part only as a SW, but doesn't the Outlander say that because Vaylin was threatening her on the Graveyard before the "crash"? Was Vette a scripted character, or did she get that situation for the sake of being the LI? Because if she drew the short straw no matter who she can be towards the PC, then the question makes more sense.

Sorry if I made spellings or grammar errors, I'm not a native English speaker.

Edited by RavaakGalis

8 hours ago, RavaakGalis said:

While I understand everyone's point, I think this would be the more logical decision for a SW Commander. As all leaders, you have flaws and weaknesses. And Sith are about emotions, passions, and somehow selfishness. I may played an Empire-loyal character, LS, pragmatic and willing to help rather killing. But when it comes to his friends (or in this case, his love), the whole galaxy can burn, even by his hand if it shall. No leadership, no Alliance worth his LI.

However, since Showdown on Ruhnuk is released and we can see Torian on the official picture, I guess now the "right" path is to sacrifice Vette. I'm sad about that, I love her for the same reasons other people in this topic told (sassy, a heart-warming persona...) and Torian was not more than a nobody to me, but we're not the storytellers.

Anyway, I disagree two things people who didn't like or saved Vette told.

"She is expendable because Theron, T7 or Lana can slice computers as well".

I'm not exactly sure why you feel the need to defend your position on saving Vette.

I also play a Sith (Darkside Carnage Marauder) who married Vette, and I also choose to save her over Torian. I use the term "choose" lightly, however, as there was no 'choice' involved because there was never any question in mind who to save in the first place. Why on Earth would I choose a veritable stranger over my wife (one of my wives anyways, back in the day there was a glitch that allowed you to marry both Vette and Jaesa, which I did. Sith Lords should be allowed to have as many wives as they want!).

It wasn't the wrong decision, I've never regretted it and I pretty much could care less about Torian. I didn't even have to consider it for one second. It was instantaneously obvious.

Even if he had been a close friend, which he wasn't, the choice is still obvious. Who's gonna pick some dude over his wife? And i don't think considering whether or not to save your wife's life is dependent on her skill set and how useful she is compared to someone else who's not your wife.

As far as I am concerned, the right path is always to save your wife or your girlfriend or whatever over someone your not romantically connected to. Family always comes first.

Screw Torian, Screw the Mandalorians, screw the Alliance. I'm saving my woman. I knew Torian for what, 15 minutes?

Selfishness is a trademark of the Sith. But, saving your wife over Torian wasn't selfish or wrong. In my opinion, you would have been wrong if you didn't choose Vette.

Besides, 'Women and children first.' Than the men.

Many men on the Titanic lost there lives because "Women and Children first." Comes with the territory of being a man.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

I didn't "feel the need" to justify the saving of Vette. I wanted to elaborate the fact that's a logical decision when you play a Wrath (especially male, but female can go as well). More than that, we agree about our motivations to save Vette and say the same things.

However, the way some here are bi*ching about Vette seemed exaggerated. Telling she was useless or "forced to be liked", without even taking in consideration the Outlander/Commander asks for her on Iokath because she may have been the one being directly threatened by Vaylin's blade while you can't act in any way, I found this harsh. And that's why I asked that if you play someone else than the Wrath, is Vette still hostaged or is it another character? If so, then I'll agree that asking for her is out of topic. Otherwise, it makes sense.

And I wanted to add that her fate seems definitive anyway since the picture of Showdown. That's one of the few hints that some PC's decisions have to go a certain way to be considered "canon".

I actually still expected a possibility to save both, but in an "hidden" way. Something more subtile than "Save/Don't". Making a plea to a psycho "Don't hurt that person" will definitely make them kill their hostage. Telling "You can kill that person, I don't care", they will do for pleasure to kill anyway, and nevermind if that doesn't affect you. But focusing on the psycho and make them forget their hostage, by taunting them and push them to attack you, would have been a good solution, which another time would have make Valkorion wrong. And if the hostage did have to die anyway, well we could have say we tried. There were plenty of time and occasions to act during the kill: Force push/lightning Vaylin, blasting, crushing her fist... While making her kill the prisoner during the fight would have been more surprising and realistic (our character doesn't see it coming).

I'm going out of topic, though, don't I?

14 hours ago, RavaakGalis said:

However, since Showdown on Ruhnuk is released and we can see Torian on the official picture, I guess now the "right" path is to sacrifice Vette.

No, the right path is to save the one you want to save.  The artwork is just artwork, and trying to use it to justify a definitive "right" path through the story is as erroneous as citing the Jedi Knight dude in all the preview videos for KotFE as the definitive reason why the only right character to play KotFE with is a male human JK.  (There are other citable reasons, which I won't debate here, but some folks did, at the time, cite those videos as *the* reason.)

• Like 1