Do not roll "Need" for companion gear.

face_hindu

EDIT: I realize that my original post is unnecessarily confrontational, and has ignited a pointless debate, so I will re-state the original (which follows below).

Dear People who are New to Need/Greed:

IF you roll "Need" on a drop that your character can't use, but other people in the group can, you run the risk of being booted from the group, being /ignored, and generally, lessening your chances of finding a decent group going forward. That is the sizable risk you take by rolling "Need" on gear your character can't equip, when there is another character in the group who CAN equip it.

IF you do this, some people will perceive you to be: a) a ninja, b) a selfish person, and/or c)

a person to avoid in the future.

Just a friendly word to people who are new to the Need/Greed system.

Original post follows:

Do not roll "Need" for companion gear.

Period.

It's bad enough that some people think it is ok to roll Need on gear for their companions while other people who can use the gear are in your group.

What's worse is that the game allows this.

If you EVER roll Need on gear for your comp when someone of that class is in your group, you are a greedy, selfish person who is ruining someone else's experience.

Need for companions = Need for alts

Don't look down

Edited by face_hindu
Restatement of post to reduce confrontational nature

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually look to see if anyone needs the piece, if they dont appear to I will politely ask if I can roll for my companion.

Just wait, if they put in a LFD tool, this will be every post on the forum.

For a cross-server LFD maybe, but people can still be held accountable if all of the players are from the same server.

Period.

It's bad enough that some people think it is ok to roll Need on gear for their companions while other people who can use the gear are in your group.

What's worse is that the game allows this.

If you EVER roll Need on gear for your comp when someone of that class is in your group, you are a greedy, selfish person who is ruining someone else's experience.

Need for companions = Need for alts

Don't look down

Since you want to dictate my decision on Need and Greed, can you come to my house and push my attack buttons too? I thought maybe since I pushed buttons to help down the boss I could make my own decisions on what will help my character, which might include a companion who helps me get things done in the 99% of the content that doesn't require 3 other players.

You are the selfish player, the one who is all jealous because someone else wanted something YOU thought YOU deserved. Please do put me on ignore.

Since you want to dictate my decision on Need and Greed, can you come to my house and push my attack buttons too? I thought maybe since I pushed buttons to help down the boss I could make my own decisions on what will help my character, which might include a companion who helps me get things done in the 99% of the content that doesn't require 3 other players.

You are the selfish player, the one who is all jealous because someone else wanted something YOU thought YOU deserved. Please do put me on ignore.

I'm aghast.

With your attitude, it's a wonder anyone would ever group with you.

I sure am glad we have this fresh new thread when 3 links down is the "people ninja'ing gear for companions" thread which obviously discusses a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT and never before considered topic.

Thanks for replying in it to keep it alive. Also, thank you for your post, which is on topic and helpful.

When you run a heroic dungeon for the 15th time for that one item then see it get taken by that class who doesn't use it at all "Because it's for his companion" you too will say that.

No I won't, because I'm not a loot dictator who thinks I get to pick who gets what from a flashpoint/operation.

No I won't, because I'm not a loot dictator who thinks I get to pick who gets what from a flashpoint/operation.

You've never run an op, have you.

I hope someone does this to you, I really do. Not out of spite, but so you can realize the err of your position, and change your ignorant, thieving ways.

OP: Couldn't agree more. A lot of people think they are entitled to anything that isn't nailed down, and it'll just come back and hurt them when someone else takes an item they need just to sell it or to give to a companion that spends 99% of his or her time running slicing missions. Edited by thecoffeecup

It's not hard to watch if the person after said gear rolls need or not, and roll need or not in suit.

BTW, what gear did you lose to someone's companion? Lol.

Nothing (yet), but it happened in a group, and the person it happened to had been grinding the flashpoint for the one drop. A very ugly discussion ensued, wherein it became apparent that the person who Needed did not even understand nor care about the philosophy and intent of having Need and Greed. Since then, I've been taking proactive measures (i.e. laying down ground rules before the run). I would hate to see it happen to anyone, let alone, have it happen to me. Memories of WoW and needy Alts, I guess.

If it was ok to steal gear from people who not only earned it, but can actually use it, there would be no Need and Greed. There would just be Ninja and Dissassemble.

In answer to the first part of your post, competing against someone's pet for gear that I earned is unacceptable.

Don't look down

First, realize that there are a lot of new players on here; not everyone knows the "gentleman's rules" of MMOs. So, people don't necessarily have to be jerks about it when someone "Needs" something they themselves don't need; just discuss it with them. They may even do it again, not realizing that the item isn't something they can use "Hey! A Jedi item! I'm a Jedi", "No, it's a Sentinal item and you're a Sage!". If they're mature players, they'll give you the item and appologize, (if it isn't a bind on pickup item).

Second, it's fairly rational to pick up gear for a companion. If you solo a lot, your companion is a part of you. If my companion tanks for me all the time, good armor and weapons for my companion may be far more important than my own gear.

Still, I know it's an unspoken rule, for a lot of people, not to do this. I would suggest that people try not to break this "rule" and simply ask if they can take something for their companion from the whole group. And if you want a particular piece of gear, annonce it. I've started just telling everyone as soon as the group starts up "I'm running this for X piece of gear." and I might say "Hey, my companion really needs X. Is it okay with everyone if I "Need" that if it pops up?"

Someone asked me if they could take a piece of gear for their companion. I said yes, and it worked out to my advantage later when "I" wanted a particular piece of gear.

Nothing (yet), but it happened in a group, and the person it happened to had been grinding the flashpoint for the one drop. A very ugly discussion ensued, wherein it became apparent that the person who Needed did not even understand nor care about the philosophy and intent of having Need and Greed. Since then, I've been taking proactive measures (i.e. laying down ground rules before the run). I would hate to see it happen to anyone, let alone, have it happen to me. Memories of WoW and needy Alts, I guess.

If it was ok to steal gear from people who not only earned it, but can actually use it, there would be no Need and Greed. There would just be Ninja and Dissassemble.

In answer to the first part of your post, competing against someone's pet for gear that I earned is unacceptable.

Don't look down

Then you didn't read (or understand) the first part of my post, clearly. If nobody rolls need on a piece of gear and I need it for my companion, you can be damn sure I'm going to need it. However, ultimately until Bioware imposes a system that stops this from happening, any perceived rules or grievances you have with people "ninjaing" your gear are just that; perceived.

Memories of WoW huh? Last time someone ninjaed anything from me in WoW, I didn't even have to say or do anything. The tank and healer decided to get him killed repeatedly until he left the group. I'm not saying that's the right thing to do, but ninjaing made you extremely unpopular instantly in WoW.

I saw people blatantly ninjaing in this game, not even for their companions. And they admitted it. Nobody cared.

Edited by thecoffeecup