Practice? For Ranked? How Sway!?

Weswhitebore

This is so accurate. I started qing earlier this season and was the worst operative you will ever see and even now sometimes play like a monkey. But I improved and I attribute that improvement to not being offended and ignoring everyone who flamed me. The people who flame are typically better than you and can help you improve. I got flamed, and afterwards asked them what I did wrong, and the more I asked the more I learned.

Thick skin. You pay for your subscription. A few toxic folks want easy elo so they can get a shiney award to make them think they are superior. Just lol at them, and queue back up. I enjoy solos because its fun. Sometimes it's unwinnable based on comp, other teams skill vs yours, lag/bug issues, or whatever. Its fine...just enjoy the game for what it is.

Actually I read a few answers and I couldn't disagree more.

PRACTICE:

You CAN practice for ranked by NOT playing objective in regs, just try to fight someone - try to see how they respond to your actions try to predict what they are doing, keep track of their cooldowns. You even should try to get yourself into 1v3 or 1v2 situations so you can know how to handle them better.

FLAMING:

If you fail at the very very basics of PvP or your class OR you don't have gear, lets be real - what did you expect? How can you expect someone to be nice to you if you are not trying while they are? Why do they need to push your weight? Everyone that gets flamed, most of the time, does deserve it. There are A LOT of 'not good players' which never get flamed because they do the basics and that is good enough for anyone.

A few examples on the *minimum* you have to do:

Marauder: open with gravity vortex, I do not have any bad feelings flaming a marauder how *could've* and yet choose not to open with that.

Mercenary: using anything before AND while shield (but medpac) is just not acceptable.

PT: Not having EP or Veteran Ranger

MATCHMAKING:

I know many players want matchmaking to be bad so they can blame something else than themselves, however while having played 2200 ranked games this season across 14 toons I would say I can judge this. Matchmaking ruins maybe 5% of games and makes them unfair, I've had more games ruined by ez'mode or jed doing promos but who could blame them for playing.

Matchmaking matches according to ELO, so it tries to have both teams have the same elo. Which is a completely fine way of making matches, I rarely I ever lost games to matchmaking (lets say 2%) before reaching 1400. Once you reach 1400 it goes up to 10% because you just get the autoloses more frequently since you are higher elo which in return makes you get worse teammates instead of better enemies and as anyone can imagine it is worse losing because of a bad team then the enemy team just being better. This of course ends up frustrating players with 1400 and more BUT as the lower rated players in your team are probably glad they have that guy that is good so they even stand a chance?

Would it really be that much fun to get teams your elo? I don't think it would, even on 1500+ it would just ruin games because you get a good team every time while being against 4x 1100 elo players. That games would end in 3 minutes and would not be fun at all.

CONCLUSION:

If you want to improve, if you try to improve, if you ask good players odds are you will improve! Almost like its magic, try to have an objective (e.g. 2nd ED, 2nd Shield, 2nd Phasewalk). And most importantly don't try to blame someone else for you making a mistake, if you truely belive you did everything you could've done and you are still getting flamed - just ask, just ask what you can do better. Also, if you don't understand how someone in your team can be 'that bad' just play the spec first. This goes for anyone, play the spec first before saying something.

PRACTICE:

You CAN practice for ranked by NOT playing objective in regs, just try to fight someone - try to see how they respond to your actions try to predict what they are doing, keep track of their cooldowns. You even should try to get yourself into 1v3 or 1v2 situations so you can know how to handle them better.

I don't disagree with this. But I'm sure you'd agree that after you play regs for quite a bit, even challenging yourself like you're describing here, it's still not quite the same as ranked itself. Eventually you have to take the plunge and you will still likely struggle at first, no matter how much practice you've had in regs.

FLAMING:

If you fail at the very very basics of PvP or your class OR you don't have gear, lets be real - what did you expect? How can you expect someone to be nice to you if you are not trying while they are? Why do they need to push your weight? Everyone that gets flamed, most of the time, does deserve it. There are A LOT of 'not good players' which never get flamed because they do the basics and that is good enough for anyone.

A few examples on the *minimum* you have to do:

Marauder: open with gravity vortex, I do not have any bad feelings flaming a marauder how *could've* and yet choose not to open with that.

Mercenary: using anything before AND while shield (but medpac) is just not acceptable.

PT: Not having EP or Veteran Ranger

MATCHMAKING:

I know many players want matchmaking to be bad so they can blame something else than themselves, however while having played 2200 ranked games this season across 14 toons I would say I can judge this. Matchmaking ruins maybe 5% of games and makes them unfair, I've had more games ruined by ez'mode or jed doing promos but who could blame them for playing.

Matchmaking matches according to ELO, so it tries to have both teams have the same elo. Which is a completely fine way of making matches, I rarely I ever lost games to matchmaking (lets say 2%) before reaching 1400. Once you reach 1400 it goes up to 10% because you just get the autoloses more frequently since you are higher elo which in return makes you get worse teammates instead of better enemies and as anyone can imagine it is worse losing because of a bad team then the enemy team just being better. This of course ends up frustrating players with 1400 and more BUT as the lower rated players in your team are probably glad they have that guy that is good so they even stand a chance?

Would it really be that much fun to get teams your elo? I don't think it would, even on 1500+ it would just ruin games because you get a good team every time while being against 4x 1100 elo players. That games would end in 3 minutes and would not be fun at all.

CONCLUSION:

If you want to improve, if you try to improve, if you ask good players odds are you will improve! Almost like its magic, try to have an objective (e.g. 2nd ED, 2nd Shield, 2nd Phasewalk). And most importantly don't try to blame someone else for you making a mistake, if you truely belive you did everything you could've done and you are still getting flamed - just ask, just ask what you can do better. Also, if you don't understand how someone in your team can be 'that bad' just play the spec first. This goes for anyone, play the spec first before saying something.

The rest of this is refreshingly reasonable for the forums.

Edited by JediMasterAlex

Not playing objectives in regs, as a n excuse for practicing for ranked is at best, a cop out.

It isnt mutually exclusive, you can play the map, and not ruin it for those who arent interested in ranked, without doing this. Plus this only works if you run into a bunch of other people looking to do the same.

If you want to play ranked, play ranked, as many have said its inevitable just jump in take your beating at first and learn... dont wreck regs for those who enjoy them, its not youre test bed.

PRACTICE:

I don't agree with this either. Most of the people that get told "practice in regs" are literally RPers that join ranked for the furious gear but have never PvPed before in their life. You really don't need to be that good of a PvPer to be ready for ranked. You just have to have the bare minimum amount of skill - awareness, use your cooldowns, etc... - all of which you can be learn by doing objs in regs. The people that get told "practice in regs" have literally never touched PvP, and only do storymode flashpoints. You can practice for ranked by doing literally any form of PvP. No one is expecting you to be a god, but we do expect you to have the bare minimum universal skills necessary to be competitive in any PvP format.

Edited by septru

Bs about playing only in offseason... play everytime bud. This has been already 1 year since I played ranked almost every night. All top tier players from SF know me. I did all mistakes I could have done and have been through all insults I could get. Even today when I play merc it is inevitable in 1/2 of matches to get get globalled. Why? I don't specifically have the 1M dmg taken. We cannot get 1M all the time. Yesterday we were on the makeb map. They had 3 stealthers so I went directly on the bridge. We won first round but then in second round while 2 of my team were chasing target. and 1 doing nothing. 3 wild stealthers appeared and then suddently bursted my life cuz they knew I used reflect and break. Death as result. And then you gonna hear the famous sentence ''how did you die'' lmao. in that moment I said can someone please stay on the bridge. He said in return that I was careless and that I didn't pay attention with DCD. Lol ok so what do you expect from 2 preds from maras and if you miss KB? You won't stay alive for long. 3rd Round someone was standing on my side offhealing me ''ofc I had LW'' and we won. Mistakes happens.

-Ceres

Edited by TheOverMind-