Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Striges
12.05.2014 , 10:00 AM | #5301
Another Friday, another prompt.

Week of December 5, 2014
First Impressions--of someone else: Our characters encounter many others during the course of their stories. Some become strong allies, loyal companions. Others implacable enemies. Some end up just plain useless. Still, it’s hard to size up someone in a glance. Write about your character’s initial encounter with someone who becomes important later in their story.

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489974post=2 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489991post=3 (yes, we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining these lists.

This week's featured NotLP:
Head of the Class - Our characters have been to academies, universities, boot camps, and the universal school of hard knocks: as students, as teachers, or maybe as maintenance, assistant, or thief. Write about your character's education.

Got an idea for a prompt? Send me a pm!

alaurin
12.11.2014 , 09:08 AM | #5302
I'll update the Index later today, first though, a comment and a couple of replies:

Spoiler

I haven't written much these past couple of weeks with the holiday rush beginning as well as the new SOR content, but I did manage to finish a warm/fuzzy piece that popped into my head while putting up the Christmas tree. I'm currently working on 3 different pieces, an update for the Lauren girls' thread, an update for Kat, Tia, and Val's thread, and an update for my guys' saga. Hopefully I'll have one of them ready to post in the next few days. For now, you can have some Mallay/Jorgan fuzzies.

Title: Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Prompt: Affection
Character: Mallayse Lauren-Trooper, Aric Jorgan
Setting: BT Thunderclap, shortly after A Happy Birthday at Last (both POV's)
Spoilers: Trooper through Hoth

warning: the following contains several warm, fuzzy moments.....
Spoiler

Charmedseed
12.11.2014 , 07:14 PM | #5303
@Alaurin: I call shenanigans! Do happy tears count?

This has me intrigued about the trooper storyline! I never played one, but I love the way you've given the girls this background - and really I also love the way we CAN do that. I finished Shadow of Revan last night and there again were all those lines between our characters and the others, and all this potential for everything that went unsaid. I'm just still so enamored by that, three years later. It's really, really cool, and you're demonstrating the possibilities there amazingly.

Striges
12.12.2014 , 08:44 AM | #5304
Funny thing. This prompt camped out in my big file o’ prompt ideas well before they even announced the new expansion.

Week of December 12, 2014
Tall tales and exaggeration: Our characters’ adventures are exciting enough, but even the most entertaining true tale gets better with a little embellishment. Has your character ever improved on the original events for cantina entertainment? Or to impress someone? Enhanced their reputation by bending the facts a little? A lot? Or has someone else on their behalf? Is it odd overhearing someone else telling stories about them? Are the tales even a little bit true by the time they come back? This week, let’s have some boasting, aggrandizement, and hyperbole.

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489974post=2 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489991post=3 (we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining the prompt archive and story index here.

This week's featured NotLP:
Fashion - Most of our characters wear clothes. Do they follow fashion? Set it? Actively offend it? Are they more collars and cuffs or sweats and monkey-lizard slippers? What's their favorite thing to wear, what have they saved for years even if they don't fit into it, and what would they love to wear if they could just find the occasion for it? Write about your characters' clothing and how they relate to it. Prompt courtesy of @iamthehoyden.

bright_ephemera
12.13.2014 , 05:18 PM | #5305
Hi, everybody! I frequented this thread a little ways back before my subscription lapsed. I’m far too daunted to comprehensively catch up but I went back a couple of pages to wet my toes.

Comments:
Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 100+ authors to date. 2600+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
---(Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.)--- DELETA MALAVAI EST

bright_ephemera
12.14.2014 , 07:53 AM | #5306
The Ruth!verse is by far the most expansive of my several universes, and I’d like to (re)introduce its characters. I’ll link the Story So Far post after the major players have had a chance to say hello. Here’s a light, spoiler-free intro for Sith Warrior Ruth Niral and her father Colran. It helps explain why she never used a certain convenient technique in her story. Call it Failure.

Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 100+ authors to date. 2600+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads

Mirdthestrill
12.14.2014 , 09:46 PM | #5307
@Charmedseed- I can't speak for Alaurin, but you guessed right on my part JK, but I'm glad it made you feel something. It's always a goal of mine to spark emotion, but I don't always know if I succeed, so thank you.

Comments:
Spoiler

Took a break from studying for finals long enough to write a piece. Someday, after I replay this section on Eyrie, I'll expand on it a bit.

Title: Distress Call
Prompt: (Un) Invited Guests
Characters: Feyte Saien (Jedi Consular), Eyrie Lancaster (Jedi Knight), Lt. Iresso, Nadia Grell, Tharan Cedrax, Holiday, Qyzen Fess, T7-01, Doc, Sgt. Rusk, Kira Carson, Lord Scourge
Length: 1,300 words
Spoilers: Jedi Consular Act 2, minor early companion conversation for Lt. Iresso, references and strong hints for Jedi Knight Act 2

Spoiler
I <3 alts!

Kitar
12.17.2014 , 12:30 PM | #5308
Welcome back Bright Your stories have been missed.

I actually have something for this weeks prompt.
Featuring my JC Ka'van and Alaurin's Smuggler Jax, with her permission of course, she gave her okay this morning.
It takes place during the expansion as a result It does contain some spoilers. It mentions Pub side Rishi. Note: some suggestive adult material, nothing to graphic just thought I should mention it, blink and you will miss it. Also eludes to a Dark Side choice in the JC story line, another blink and you will miss it moment...

Spoiler

Spoiler

bright_ephemera
12.18.2014 , 05:03 PM | #5309
@Mirdthestrill, I was always fascinated by the fallout of that JK plot point for the people around her. After all, that's a lot to swallow.

@Kitar, ahaha, poor Jax! It's great to see that somebody's enjoying the pirate notoriety.

Now...I should explain.

Imperial Agent Wynston comes in two flavors. One is reasonably serious and covers his childhood, youth, and career as an agent of Imperial Intelligence. The other is not so serious. After the events of Ruth Means Compassion, the central Ruth!verse narrative, Wynston returns to his independent galactic do-gooding service in a much sillier style. Oh, Quinn joins him, too, in common cause. It makes marginally more sense in context. And that’s how we end up with some Tall Tales.

Spoiler

Spoiler
Bright's Fanfic Threads

alaurin
12.18.2014 , 09:54 PM | #5310
Sorry for the drive by post. I promise I'll catch up the Index and comment tomorrow. I just wanted to squeeze this story in before the prompt changes. Its been a busy week so the editing/polishing process got rushed a bit so hopefully its not too terrible, but I was really excited when I saw the prompt.

Title: Strange Happenings
Prompt: Tall Tales and Exaggeration
Characters: Mallayse Lauren-Trooper, Belladonya Lauren-Smuggler, and most of their companions
Setting: BT Thunderclap and Rishi
Spoilers: Trooper and Smuggler intro cutscenes for Shadows of Revan, mentions of events from Forged Alliances, and spoilers for the beginning of the Republic Rishi storyline

warning: minor innuendo below, but honestly....its pretty tame for me.
Spoiler