Possibility to change Second Combat Style

ZealZany

Hello Team!

Hope you're doing well!

Please, add an ability to change the second Combat Style for our characters.

Yes, I know that the game warns you that the choice is permanent, when you do that, but sometimes there are reasons for change your mind.

In example, it is not quite clear why a character as a Jedi might not be able to choose Sith combat styles and vise versa. Yes, some of us are aware that you need to have "Dark V" or "Light V" legacy unlock in order to be able to do that, however, this is not clear for everyone, and it is easy to become trapped with your suboptimal choice.

A possible solution could be a Cartel Market consumable item, allowing you to "Retrain" the second Combat Style for your character. Please, make it reasonably expensive, but leave this possibility for players to change their decision which they could make too fast. Or, please, allow the Game Support to change players second Combat Style.

Some of us have our characters from the very first days when the game was launched, and we do not want to lose our characters just from being a little stupid and too fast just once.

Thanks a lot!

BR

I didn't argue with that.

And still, many of us may have reasons to change our mind in the future and need to be able to retrain the second combat style.

This "permanent" limitation looks very artificial to me, as that simplicity to switch between styles and loadouts shows that there should not be a problem at all to reset one of them and start using from that moment on.

I didn't argue with that.

And still, many of us may have reasons to change our mind in the future and need to be able to retrain the second combat style.

This "permanent" limitation looks very artificial to me, as that simplicity to switch between styles and loadouts shows that there should not be a problem at all to reset one of them and start using from that moment on.

I don't think I get what you are saying. You won't get Sith options at all unless you have 5 dark, so . . . what's the problem, again?

I think what ZealZany is talking about isn't really a difficult concept to grasp. Or to fix.

The Problem:

1) People get attached to characters they've had for a long time, and don't want to create a new character. They associate their in-game identity and progression with the character, not the 'YourNameHere'Guardian / YourNameHere'Scoundrel' model that some people are comfortable with.

2) They may later change their mind regarding what they consider their character to 'be' - e.g. Day One, you decide they're more of a Guardian / Sage. But Day One Hundred, you might suddenly feel they're more of a Guardian / Shadow.

3) If you wanted to rectify this, you are invariably required to create a brand new character under the same name, THEN replay ALL the content you've already played through just to reach the point you were at before, with the same Primary Class and Story - if you're that attached to a character and their story, you will not be Skipping things just to bumrush level 80. Which makes it an enormous time sink.

The Solution:

Cartel Market Token - "Change Secondary Combat Style - Cooldown: 90 days"

Ez pz, nobody is harmed by this, and people who are harmed by it NOT being there, benefit. They get to keep their lives, EA gets their money. Everybody wins.

"oH No nOW PeoPlE wIlL cHanGe To thE FlaVouR of The MoNTh" -- By any metric, the people who understand the minmax in intimate detail behind the FOTM statistics and actually care ENOUGH about those will either:

a) Already have one character for every class, OR:

b) The drive and motivation to create a new character for that sole purpose, and given how quickly one can speedrun level 80 these days... They'll certainly do it in a shorter timeframe than 3 months.

:ph_good_post:

Have an upvote, ZealZany - I want this feature too.

Edited by Jupiter_Storm

I think what ZealZany is talking about isn't really a difficult concept to grasp. Or to fix.

You can't possibly know how hard it is to fix. The fundamental concept seen from the outside is straightforward, as you say, but it could easily be difficult on the inside, the part which we can't see but that BioWare would have to see.

The Solution:

Cartel Market Token - "Change Secondary Combat Style - Cooldown: 90 days"

Ez pz, nobody is harmed by this, and people who are harmed by it NOT being there, benefit. They get to keep their lives, EA gets their money. Everybody wins.

Nobody is harmed by adding it, as such (subject to some reservations about limited manpower(1) and the trade-offs between implementing and testing this thing versus something else), but I'd argue that nobody is *harmed* by it being absent either. At worst, they are *inconvenienced*.

But it's an opinion thing, mine versus yours, so there's no point in arguing about it, either.

On the other hand, adding it isn't necessarily risk-free. The point that they had to drop "y'all get a free pass to replace your existing advanced class with a combat style that you choose the first time you play the character after 7.0 drops" suggests that there's some horrible code lurking behind the scenes that will bite us if they add this feature. (I'd also expect to see some bug reports caused by people trying to drop the style they are currently using...)

"oH No nOW PeoPlE wIlL cHanGe To thE FlaVouR of The MoNTh" -- By any metric, the people who understand the minmax in intimate detail behind the FOTM statistics and actually care ENOUGH about those will either:

a) Already have one character for every class, OR:

b) The drive and motivation to create a new character for that sole purpose, and given how quickly one can speedrun level 80 these days... They'll certainly do it in a shorter timeframe than 3 months.

Be careful when inventing objections, lest people accuse you of strawmanning them(2). I'm not accusing you of that, mind you, but I think the answer to the objection is simpler than you make it out to be. The ninety-day cooldown will act to reduce the swapping-around volatility that "following the FOTM" suggests. If it's still too volatile, make it 120 or 180 days instead.

Have an upvote, ZealZany - I want this feature too.

I've been reflecting on this for a while now, and I'm beginning to think that although I still think people should be more careful when choosing their second style, the feature is interesting.

(1) Manpower is always limited because the number of human beings on the planet is not infinite.

(2) I've seen this sort of accusation in other threads on unrelated subjects, where the invented objections really were strawmen. This one is a possible valid concern.

You can't possibly know how hard it is to fix. || The point that they had to drop "y'all get a free pass to replace your existing advanced class with a combat style that you choose the first time you play the character after 7.0 drops" suggests that there's some horrible code lurking behind the scenes that will bite us if they add this feature.

This is completely fair, Hero Engine has been heavily modified to accomodate SWTOR so, yes, it is already doing a lot of things it shouldn't be doing.

(1) Manpower is always limited because the number of human beings on the planet is not infinite.

(2) I've seen this sort of accusation in other threads on unrelated subjects, where the invented objections really were strawmen. This one is a possible valid concern.

Also extremely fair, but yes - I did think it was a valid concern in this instance because I like to PvP a lot, myself, and it's probably one of the two "Go To" accusations thrown around whenever you get salt. Coasting with an "easy" class is right up there alongside hacking the game.

Vis a vis everything in general though, you'll have to forgive my language. I write tongue in cheek as a form of catharsis, in order to keep myself from throwing all my toys out of the pram over Favourite Videogame.

Any character is in the end a set of pixels, but that exactly set of pixels, which you associate yourself with - this is what matters.

Agree, yes! In this modern day and age a strong sense of online identity is important to a lot of people. Whichever form that might take, it's a relevant concern because it is... 'You'. If we considered our characters "Just" a set of pixels designed to throw yellow numbers at enemies then we wouldn't care about cosmetics, for instance.

Edited by Jupiter_Storm