Do damage/survivalbility/support numbers still mean anything?

afwhoefuwov

I understand they're supposed to be a grand overview of your stats. However, at least for my case, the numbers as of current 7.0.2 do not make sense. I have 2 DPS spec (Mara and Jugg) with Thyrsian gears @ 318 iRating, all my implants and legendary implants are also DPS-focused. I am still working on my gears, but the point is:

As a very brief summary, my toons have stats in Mastery/Endurance/Crit/Alacrity/Accuracy and nothing in Absorb/Shield/Defence. So why does the game say my toons have: 20k ish Damage, 33k ish Survivalbility and 28k ish for Support. I may understand some Survivalbility/Support on a Jugg, but on a pure DPS spec like Mara? It doesnt make sense, it feels as if my toon is very tanky (which it is not).

Edited by afwhoefuwov

Because even a DPS spec character has, and needs 'survivability' - the ability to survive. 🙂

DPS tend to be 'squishier' than tanks, of course, but they do need some defense to survive. But the defense doesn't come from absorb/shield, etc, it's just base armor and endurance. (There's little need to increase a DPS's 'defense' beyond what is built into the armor by default.)

Also, the numbers are more 'relative' than hard set.

Edited by JediQuaker

I may understand some Survivalbility/Support on a Jugg, but on a pure DPS spec like Mara? It doesnt make sense, it feels as if my toon is very tanky (which it is not).

Mara has some great skills to support a group, he can have predation, a raid buff and the Dot Mara has even a small group heal.

But in general to me, it seems those numbers are totaly made up, bc nobody could explain what "543 Survivalbility" and "849 Support" exactly means (its a 75 toon). Is that good? Is it bad? Those numbers doesnt seem to say anything. Its another one of the great 7.o New-Design mysteries why those numbers show up instead of the real stats.

The summary numbers have always been arbitrary and useless. If you look at the hovertext descriptions on those stats, you see the following:

• Damage - approximate damage dealt by a standardized ability in 1 second (No, this is not the same as your actual dps. What is a standardized ability? Why is the unit of measurement 1s when damage is dealt in gcds or activations? Why doesn't this account for healers (no acc) and tanks (damage penalty)? The world may never know.)
  • Survivability - the amount of incoming damage needed to defeat your character within 15 seconds (Why 15s? This is just... arbitrary. Spikes are much more likely to kill you than sustained incoming damage)
  • Support - approximate healing dealt by a standardized ability in 1 second (See note on the "damage" stat. Extra confusing because some classes don't have true heals at all... although I suppose defense screen absorbs ~30k.)

The summary numbers look clear, and clean... and they're way more confusing than they are helpful. I really wish they would just get rid of them and default to showing us the proper stat pane.