Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
08.02.2012 , 12:57 AM | #601
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
However, the one position I'll never move away from is that using exactly the same writing for both genders is bad (or more accurately, lazy) writing. You will never convince me of that, I'm sorry.
Both genders? Huh? I must have missed that. I thought the talk was primarily about using the same writing for the same gender but differing sexual preferences.

Zandilar's Avatar


Zandilar
08.02.2012 , 01:10 AM | #602
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Both genders? Huh? I must have missed that. I thought the talk was primarily about using the same writing for the same gender but differing sexual preferences.
In the past, some of Bioware's romances have used exactly the same text for both genders, just with different pronouns. That's a big no no as far as I'm concerned.

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
08.02.2012 , 02:19 AM | #603
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
In the past, some of Bioware's romances have used exactly the same text for both genders, just with different pronouns. That's a big no no as far as I'm concerned.
Oh, you mean the companion responding to the hero with the same dialogue (bar pronouns)? Right, yes. I thought you meant 'different genders' in terms of writing backstory/dialogue for companions of differing genders.

wainot-keel's Avatar


wainot-keel
08.02.2012 , 06:04 AM | #604
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Oh, you mean the companion responding to the hero with the same dialogue (bar pronouns)? Right, yes. I thought you meant 'different genders' in terms of writing backstory/dialogue for companions of differing genders.
"Gender blindness". I wasn't aware it's an actual approach to writing. Few months prior to ME3 release there were some interesting discussions, some with BWs writers I believe. I'll try to find the links for it.

I'm ambivalent at best. I think it's nice to see differences beyond the pronouns. Though I remember this failed for me once. It was in DA2 ( Merrill's romance with male Hawke). She goes on a sort worship thing, Hawke being the new leader of the Dalish and blah ,blah. That was totally off putting for me, to the point I went back to a save far away enough to not trigger her romance and rethink my character. I could never romance Merrill with a male character because of this.

MusedMoose's Avatar


MusedMoose
08.02.2012 , 06:50 AM | #605
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
No, I mean all LI companions being open to all genders. They've said they won't do it. That's what all the 'that's not writing, that's not good storytelling' stuff was about at the Summit. They know which companions will be SGRA-capable and they're not saying which but they're NOT going to make all of them available to everyone. I mean, throw whatever interpretations on those words you like, as far as I understood it there's not going to be 'hero-sexual' companions. That was one of the only aspects of the whole SGRA issue that they answered directly in absolutes, as far as I'm concerned.
I'm sorry, but that's incorrect. The part about it not being good writing or good storytelling was only about not just changing the dialogue to work for the other gender. For example, if the companion said "you're the greatest man I've ever known", the SGR version wouldn't be "you're the greatest woman I've ever known". That's it. They didn't say anything about which companions would or wouldn't be available; they specifically said they weren't going to tell us.

Here's the video if you want to refresh your memory, starts at 21:02: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7nq8YvW50M

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
08.02.2012 , 07:02 AM | #606
Quote: Originally Posted by MusedMoose View Post
I'm sorry, but that's incorrect. The part about it not being good writing or good storytelling was only about not just changing the dialogue to work for the other gender. For example, if the companion said "you're the greatest man I've ever known", the SGR version wouldn't be "you're the greatest woman I've ever known". That's it. They didn't say anything about which companions would or wouldn't be available; they specifically said they weren't going to tell us.

Here's the video if you want to refresh your memory, starts at 21:02: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7nq8YvW50M
You're right, I did misremember that. However, I direct you to position 22:01, where they say they want to do it 'with the characters that make sense.'

I really don't see how you can interpret that as possibly meaning that all LIs could be for both genders. I very much doubt that there's any room in that at all for them turning around and saying, 'Oh, we had a think about it and we figured it'd make sense with all of the romanceable characters.' No, sorry. They have specific characters they want to give the SGRA treatment to and they're focusing on ones that, to them, 'make sense'.

Which ones? They haven't said, of course, and we won't know until it comes out, but the subtext there seems unmistakable to me.

My point stands: they're not going to make all LIs SGRA, and they've said as much (simply not as directly as I erroneously recalled).

Edit: Would I like to be wrong about this? Absolutely. I hope I am. My vote is in for them reworking all the LIs to work for both genders (beyond simple pronoun changes). But while I recognise this is my interpretation of the statements made at the Summit I believe my opinions to be based on pretty solid evidence and I really don't think I'm going to be proven wrong on this point.

We'll find out eventually, though. Here's hoping I'm wrong! <toasts with coffee>

Ixum's Avatar


Ixum
08.02.2012 , 07:06 AM | #607
Since I've kinda lost hope for new companions (got doubts about the "this year" comment by DE) at this point I really hope they integrate new arcs with the existing companions.

rahadnak's Avatar


rahadnak
08.02.2012 , 07:27 AM | #608
I do also hope current romanceable companions could be available for both genders when SGR are implemented. That would be, as I see it at least, the fairest decision they could make considering the fact that we were not given that option since the begining, so all we could do was dreaming of hypothetical romances with our same gender existing companions, just as i do with my female SI and Ashara, hahah.

PS: excuse my english, I'm not a native speaker.

stuffystuffs's Avatar


stuffystuffs
08.02.2012 , 09:31 AM | #609
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
However, the one position I'll never move away from is that using exactly the same writing for both genders is bad (or more accurately, lazy) writing. You will never convince me of that, I'm sorry.
In that case, I still think it depends on the character and their romance arc. I think it can work fine for some but not others.

It's not necessarily lazy writing, it might just be that the romance arc is gender neutral and doesn't warrant differences.

But if you can't be convinced then I'll give up XD

Quote: Originally Posted by rahadnak View Post
That would be, as I see it at least, the fairest decision they could make considering the fact that we were not given that option since the begining, so all we could do was dreaming of hypothetical romances with our same gender existing companions, just as i do with my female SI and Ashara, hahah.
If not, there's headcanon...I'll use it regardless b/c my headcanon romances are awesome and don't have that fade to black crap.

Luhrsen's Avatar


Luhrsen
08.02.2012 , 01:30 PM | #610
When you say that the conversations MUST be different based on gender I'd like to ask for more specifics. For example, having Mako change her comments to call a female bounty hunter 'soft and feminine' instead of 'tough and manly' wouldn't necessarily work for my heavily tattooed and pierced amazon Rattataki. Just the fact of being able to customize your PC messes up most of the changes you might make.