Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Server Merge Discussion Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Server Merge Discussion Thread
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DWho
08.14.2017 , 10:52 AM | #2181
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
I'll reply to all the above comments without quoting because basically they say the same.

I am talking about megaservers and strongly support it because I am thinking about this game in the long run. Let's say we go down to four servers in USA and 2 servers on Europe (one pve and the other rp), how long will it take until we end up at exactly the same spot we are in today? It might take a year or two, I agree, but then we are in the same spot with dead servers like today. It would be more efficient to solve this problem now and have security and certainty in one go and not continue having a fragmented playerbase.

Look at ESO, there are megaservers there and the RP community is thriving there. I rarely hear from my friends who went there that there are issues with trollers or toxic people. If it works there I don't see why it couldn't work in SWTOR. You immediately assume it will be the apocalypse when server merges occur, but you wouldn't even give it a chance to see if it could be made to work.
I thought we were talking about compromise. Again you have stated a no compromise position of one megaserver. How can you ask others to compromise when you are unwilling to do so. And if the server merger doesn't work out, what then. There aren't going to be server splits because you would have to reactivate hardware you deactivated (if it is even available again since all servers are outsourced). I still fail to see any compromise here.

Ratajack
08.14.2017 , 10:53 AM | #2182
I'll reply to all the above comments without quoting because basically they say the same.

I am talking about megaservers and strongly support it because I am thinking about this game in the long run. Let's say we go down to four servers in USA and 2 servers on Europe (one pve and the other rp), how long will it take until we end up at exactly the same spot we are in today? It might take a year or two, I agree, but then we are in the same spot with dead servers like today. It would be more efficient to solve this problem now and have security and certainty in one go and not continue having a fragmented playerbase.

Look at ESO, there are megaservers there and the RP community is thriving there. I rarely hear from my friends who went there that there are issues with trollers or toxic people. If it works there I don't see why it couldn't work in SWTOR. You immediately assume it will be the apocalypse when server merges occur, but you wouldn't even give it a chance to see if it could be made to work.
Once again, I see only talk of a "megaserver". I see NO offers of "compromise", just a "megaserver".

Thank you for proving my point.

casirabit
08.14.2017 , 10:53 AM | #2183
Quote: Originally Posted by DWho View Post
I thought we were talking about compromise. Again you have stated a no compromise position of one megaserver. How can you ask others to compromise when you are unwilling to do so. And if the server merger doesn't work out, what then. There aren't going to be server splits because you would have to reactivate hardware you deactivated (if it is even available again since all servers are outsourced). I still fail to see any compromise here.
Thanks for saying that more adequately than I could. They want a compromise but only if it gets them what they want. That is not a compromise. That is them having their way.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing.

Ylliarus
08.14.2017 , 10:56 AM | #2184
Because in that specific comment I did not mean to talk about compromises but highlight something what I believe would be a consequence of keeping in each region a seperate RP server. I also don't want to talk about compromises anymore because I already know they will be discarded if they don't involve a seperate server for the RP community. I am just warning you that we may end up exactly at the same spot we are in today of we don't switch to megaservers. I just hoped to have RP again but also be on a highly populated server, but if I can't have that then I'll just stick to the Red Eclipse.

Also, you forgot to say anything about me pointing to ESO where megaservers and the RP community work just fine
The One, True Lord Ryssius
Playing SWTOR since November 2012
Darth Malgus [EU]

Ylliarus
08.14.2017 , 10:59 AM | #2185
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
Once again, I see only talk of a "megaserver". I see NO offers of "compromise", just a "megaserver".

Thank you for proving my point.
Because it is futile to talk about compromises because you (the RP community) won't accept anything that doesn't involve a seperate RP server.
Darth Malgus [EU]

DWho
08.14.2017 , 11:06 AM | #2186
Because in that specific comment I did not mean to talk about compromises but highlight something what I believe would be a consequence of keeping in each region a seperate RP server. I also don't want to talk about compromises anymore because I already know they will be discarded if they don't involve a seperate server for the RP community. I am just warning you that we may end up exactly at the same spot we are in today of we don't switch to megaservers. I just hoped to have RP again but also be on a highly populated server, but if I can't have that then I'll just stick to the Red Eclipse.

Also, you forgot to say anything about me pointing to ESO where megaservers and the RP community work just fine
I wasn't talking about RP in particular but making a more general comment about compromise. If the two sides are 1 megaserver and no merges at at, then a reasonable compromise is some mergers. Yes, you might end up back in the same place years down the road but that is what compromise is all about. Personally, I don't think we would get there. I think the game is nearing its minimum population. Pretty much what is left is hardcore Star Wars people and a continuing flux of new players coming and old players leaving.

Ratajack
08.14.2017 , 11:44 AM | #2187
I wasn't talking about RP in particular but making a more general comment about compromise. If the two sides are 1 megaserver and no merges at at, then a reasonable compromise is some mergers. Yes, you might end up back in the same place years down the road but that is what compromise is all about. Personally, I don't think we would get there. I think the game is nearing its minimum population. Pretty much what is left is hardcore Star Wars people and a continuing flux of new players coming and old players leaving.
It makes no difference in the end.

Some people simply will not accept anything other than what they want and covet, and when their refusal to compromise is pointed out, they can only try to throw up a distraction and attempt to cast blame on the "other side".

Ylliarus
08.14.2017 , 11:48 AM | #2188
It makes no difference in the end.

Some people simply will not accept anything other than what they want and covet, and when their refusal to compromise is pointed out, they can only try to throw up a distraction and attempt to cast blame on the "other side".
And it seems it applies to both "sides" of this issue, as well as to people like me as to those opposing server merges.
Darth Malgus [EU]

Jedi_riches
08.14.2017 , 11:49 AM | #2189
I think some of those advocating server merges or a "megaserver" have a fear that if people had any choice not to be on a "megaserver" or a high population server with a toxic community, they would choose another server, even if that meant an RP server.
I have thought about this also I believe pro Merging players fear that people won't move willingly or even move away and that their 'mergers' do nothing to their populations if players actually have the free choice. I have also always suspected it's why players don't want solo operations because they fear fewer players would actually run the group version.
How PvP balance is achieved - Bioware please nerf paper its OP, scissors are fine as they are.
Regards,
Rock

Ylliarus
08.14.2017 , 01:25 PM | #2190
Quote: Originally Posted by Jedi_riches View Post
I have thought about this also I believe pro Merging players fear that people won't move willingly or even move away and that their 'mergers' do nothing to their populations if players actually have the free choice. I have also always suspected it's why players don't want solo operations because they fear fewer players would actually run the group version.
Because that is what is going to happen. If people will have the choice to move or not things will stay exactly the same and the problem will persist and the boat will continue to sink with us on it. We could all get to the lifeboats and get to safety, this metaphor being server merges or megservers which will secure the game's population stability for a very long time. But if we don't well then we'll continue to sink, not as swiftly and catastrophically but the game will slowly choke.

I hope that the Dev team will be smart and choose "the needs of the many outweigh those of the few". As cruel as it sounds I am simply tired with arguing with the people from the RP community. It was the reason why I abandoned the RP community on the Progenitor, I wanted to help them with their declining recruitment of players to their guilds but instead their pride and arrogance got in their way and were my answer. The RP'ers say they fear the trollers so much but honestly there are many snakes among them sadly (not referring to any people here but those on the Progenitor, don't know how it is on Ebon Hawk)
Darth Malgus [EU]