Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Server Merge Discussion Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Server Merge Discussion Thread
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Ratajack's Avatar


Ratajack
08.01.2017 , 11:49 AM | #1781
Quote: Originally Posted by casirabit View Post
They have stated they don't want to force anyone to move and they are not wanting to do mergers until they can get guilds to transfer intact with all the guild assets and personal assets as well.
Even if they do resolve all the issues and allow guilds to transfer with all guild assets intact and players are able to transfer without losing any assets, from Keith's interview it seems they may still choose not to merge servers, opting to leave the choice of server and server population in the individual player's (or guild's) hands.

HuaRya's Avatar


HuaRya
08.01.2017 , 12:11 PM | #1782
Since I have the last 5 posters on ignore I'll just assume

I must have hit pretty close to the mark to get her all riled up like that, huh, kid?
I grok in fullness.
― Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land

Jedi_riches's Avatar


Jedi_riches
08.01.2017 , 12:14 PM | #1783
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
Even if they do resolve all the issues and allow guilds to transfer with all guild assets intact and players are able to transfer without losing any assets, from Keith's interview it seems they may still choose not to merge servers, opting to leave the choice of server and server population in the individual player's (or guild's) hands.
If they ever manage to get in the position that they can transfer guilds etc then I still think the best choice is to leave all servers open and not merge, I am all for players having the ability to choose whether they want a high pop or lower pop but potentially quieter server.

But maybe offer guilds a deal to transfer if they wish.
How PvP balance is achieved - Bioware please nerf paper its OP, scissors are fine as they are.
Regards,
Rock

doelow's Avatar


doelow
08.01.2017 , 12:16 PM | #1784
Quote: Originally Posted by casirabit View Post
They have stated they don't want to force anyone to move and they are not wanting to do mergers until they can get guilds to transfer intact with all the guild assets and personal assets as well.
Well then that settles it to be honest. They are still figuring out how to transfer things intact. That's a valid reason for holding off. It doesn't, however, change the fact that 90% of the game's servers are either in decline or already dead.

As for people implying that I posted my original comment because I only "want to hear what I want to hear" or some crap: I don't look on these forums regularly and only recently re-subbed. I haven't been keeping tabs on everything Bioware has said, and I figured them having a megathread implied that this debate was still actively ongoing otherwise what is the point of such a thread? And no, I haven't read every page. I jumped to the last most recent and took a summary from there mixed with my own experiences.

Stay mad. My personal opinion is that their prolonged inactivity on this issue is going to be catastrophic for the game in the near future, but if they have said they aren't going to force the issue and are still figuring out how they could even do such a move without breaking up guilds and whatnot, then so be it. It's their game.

Jedi_riches's Avatar


Jedi_riches
08.01.2017 , 12:18 PM | #1785
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyCT View Post
But that's not the answer they want, so the tantrum goes on.
Oh OK I did not realise the thread was a magic 8 ball "please ask again later"
How PvP balance is achieved - Bioware please nerf paper its OP, scissors are fine as they are.
Regards,
Rock

kodrac's Avatar


kodrac
08.01.2017 , 12:19 PM | #1786
Quote: Originally Posted by HuaRya View Post
Since I have the last 5 posters on ignore I'll just assume

I must have hit pretty close to the mark to get her all riled up like that, huh, kid?
Nope, none of them mentioned you or your post. They more than likely have you on ignore too. /shrug
Quote: Originally Posted by Soljin View Post
I can't tap dance... So I don't try to give lessons...

robertthebard's Avatar


robertthebard
08.01.2017 , 12:19 PM | #1787
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Huh? One I have control over (my inventory), the other I don't (free will of others). Come on Bob...you're just replying with nonsense now.
I think the line right after you snipped it sort of explains that line, and then, of course, there's the rest of the post...
Quote: Originally Posted by Transcendent View Post
Also, just a small point. Why should anyone who plays this game exclusively for any particular type of content, have to run a different type of content just to earn gear? What is that attitude all about?

robertthebard's Avatar


robertthebard
08.01.2017 , 12:24 PM | #1788
Quote: Originally Posted by doelow View Post
Well then that settles it to be honest. They are still figuring out how to transfer things intact. That's a valid reason for holding off. It doesn't, however, change the fact that 90% of the game's servers are either in decline or already dead.
Citation needed. What information do you have access to that none of the rest of us do? From the forums, I've seen one post about one dead server, and even then, it's vague, at best, so unless 1 server is 90% of the servers, I'd say someone is making things up.

Quote:
As for people implying that I posted my original comment because I only "want to hear what I want to hear" or some crap: I don't look on these forums regularly and only recently re-subbed. I haven't been keeping tabs on everything Bioware has said, and I figured them having a megathread implied that this debate was still actively ongoing otherwise what is the point of such a thread? And no, I haven't read every page. I jumped to the last most recent and took a summary from there mixed with my own experiences.
I can't say what the motivation here is, but back when I used to moderate an MMO forum, we made threads like this to "keep all the loonies in one place".

Quote:
Stay mad. My personal opinion is that their prolonged inactivity on this issue is going to be catastrophic for the game in the near future, but if they have said they aren't going to force the issue and are still figuring out how they could even do such a move without breaking up guilds and whatnot, then so be it. It's their game.
It was going to be catastrophic to the game 3 years ago, and yet, here we are, still discussing it. Seems legit.
Quote: Originally Posted by Transcendent View Post
Also, just a small point. Why should anyone who plays this game exclusively for any particular type of content, have to run a different type of content just to earn gear? What is that attitude all about?

robertthebard's Avatar


robertthebard
08.01.2017 , 12:26 PM | #1789
Quote: Originally Posted by kodrac View Post
Nope, none of them mentioned you or your post. They more than likely have you on ignore too. /shrug
Shh, don't ruin his day, he thought he finally got to make a legit point?
Quote: Originally Posted by Transcendent View Post
Also, just a small point. Why should anyone who plays this game exclusively for any particular type of content, have to run a different type of content just to earn gear? What is that attitude all about?

HuaRya's Avatar


HuaRya
08.01.2017 , 12:26 PM | #1790
Quote: Originally Posted by doelow View Post
Stay mad. My personal opinion is that their prolonged inactivity on this issue is going to be catastrophic for the game in the near future, but if they have said they aren't going to force the issue and are still figuring out how they could even do such a move without breaking up guilds and whatnot, then so be it. It's their game.
True, but if they are dealing with separate companies that they rent server space on they probably have a 1 year lease agreement. Keith's predecessor didn't have server architecture on his list. His budget extras probably went mostly to voiceover talent.

Is it safe to assume their modus operundi before was 'we gotta get new people to play and have people return' is now 'gee, we need to keep the people we have here happy'
I grok in fullness.
― Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land