Offline Guild Invites

VitalityPrime

Has there ever been talks of being able to send guild invites to offline players?

I have my own guild...and I hate that the only way to invite alts is to invite someone else to the guild...and then have them invite your alt.

Edited by VitalityPrime

• 1 year later...
It sucks massive Dodo bird eggs that you can't invite offline players to guilds. my roomate and I share a computer so we can't even be in the same guild without third party help. also, I would've liked to have all of my characters in the same guild, but its waaay too laborious for such a simple act. an oversight by the powers that be, if you ask me, the inconvenience definitely outweighs the minor exploit potential of earning a little extra guild experience.

It sucks massive Dodo bird eggs that you can't invite offline players to guilds. my roomate and I share a computer so we can't even be in the same guild without third party help. also, I would've liked to have all of my characters in the same guild, but its waaay too laborious for such a simple act. an oversight by the powers that be, if you ask me, the inconvenience definitely outweighs the minor exploit potential of earning a little extra guild experience.

necro asside, being in a guild of yourself and your alts isn't a guild...thats a legacy. No offense but thats not what guilds are for.

Necro, whatever. I'll weigh in.

I used to run 2-3 person guilds in WoW just for a cool name plate and tabard and extra storage for me and my brother. There's nothing wrong with this, even if it's not precisely what's intended. You should at the very least be able to invite your own alts into the guild, imo.

I'm eventually gonna do the same thing in SWTOR (I have a good guild name I'm sure no one has thought of) but my brother can't play on his mac, my other friend can't get the client to work and is apathetic about fixing it, so I joined an actual guild the other day and am enjoying it. They took me on a hardmode FP despite my inexperience and didn't get mad when I wiped us a few times. Then they promoted me! Good people.

Edited by Henge_Wolf

Necro, whatever. I'll weigh in.

I used to run 2-3 person guilds in WoW just for a cool name plate and tabard and extra storage for me and my brother. There's nothing wrong with this, even if it's not precisely what's intended. You should at the very least be able to invite your own alts into the guild, imo.

I'm eventually gonna do the same thing in SWTOR (I have a good guild name I'm sure no one has thought of) but my brother can't play on his mac, my other friend can't get the client to work and is apathetic about fixing it, so I joined an actual guild the other day and am enjoying it. They took me on a hardmode FP despite my inexperience and didn't get mad when I wiped us a few times. Then they promoted me! Good people.

well considering they required (at time of creation) 4 players to make a guild they really did intend it to not be something a solo person could do. Aka not a guild of my alts. thus adding something like this is probably not something they will not do, otherwise why even bother to have the 4 player requirements?

• 6 years later...

I mean I'd love it as well, in Star Trek Online they've always allowed people to add an OFFLINE player.

Which is nice cause you can add you're ALTs even if they aren't logged in right now, because you're on your main.

I've long wished for this feature on SWTOR.

I like having my own guild.

Not only do I get the xp boost...but it can also add some concept and theme to my character, as superficial as that might be.

Not superficial at all. I'd pay good Cartel Market money for the ability to create myself a personal guild which also allowed me to self invite (by in-game post or some other way) my 10 trillion alts without having to rely on anyone else. I'm not even interested in the boosts. This is the only thing I miss from wow - I had my own guild for me and my alts for years in that game (although I was able to run more than one account on one computer there which allowed me to invite all my alts). For one having my own guild in swtor would get rid of all the "join my guild" whispers which are pain. They could call them "Legacy Guilds" (steal that and make it happen please BW :D ).

Edited by Sarova

well considering they required (at time of creation) 4 players to make a guild they really did intend it to not be something a solo person could do. Aka not a guild of my alts. thus adding something like this is probably not something they will not do, otherwise why even bother to have the 4 player requirements?

That is not really a good counter-argument considering I have seen and heard people doing guilds to get them started and then they can leave or they kick them because once the guild is started it is there no matter how many people you have. Requirements for 4 yes but it isn't required that they all stick around.

The lack of imagination and creativity is astounding.....

I have a small guild. At one time there were 20 to 40 players logging in on any day. Sadly those days are gone.

I am now the only one that logs into my guild.

But if I want to add an alt to my guild it is a simple and easy task, as a matter of fact, I just added another character to my guild.

Here are the very easy steps.

1. Create a FREE SWToR account.

2. Create a character on the FREE SWToR account.

3. Log into the character on the FREE SWToR account (though you must do this from a second computer)

4. Log onto your Guild. (preferably the Guild Leader or Guild officer that can invite)

5. Invite the character you just created on your FREE SWToR account and promote them so they can invite to the guild and log out leaving the character on the FREE SWToR account logged in and move them to your stronghold.

6. Log in the Character you want to add to your Guild and invite them to your Stronghold.

7. Both your FREE SWToR account character and your new unguilded character are now in your Stronghold.

8. Use the Character on the FREE SWToR account to invite your NEW character into your guild.

9. Rinse and Repeat for any other characters you want to invite to the guild.

10. PROBLEM SOLVED.....

Now once you have your FREE SWToR account and character you can invite a new characters into your guild at any time. OBTW if, like me you have a Republic and an Empire guild then you can also do the same thing with another character on the same FREE SWToR account.

Use a little imagination and intelligence and even YOU can invite your own character into your Guild.

They will never make a mail Guild invite system as it can be abused and spammed to death.

Edited by denavin

The lack of imagination and creativity is astounding.....

~snip~

They will never make a mail Guild invite system as it can be abused and spammed to death.

Is this what they do in other mmo's that have guilds as well?

I mean it's not a lot of work but having to use another pc to go through all these hoops seems a bit extreme.

And no I don't mean just the other pc, I mean all those steps.

The other thing you mentioned is this would be abused.

Please explain in laymen what about mail invites could be abused?

I'm not following this thread closely.

For me a system with guild listings [similar to stronghold listings] and the ability to request a guild invite to the "guildmaster" through game mail (offline) should in no way be able to be abused.

I mean 1 request per alt character and the request could not be made again through the listing.

This should be the only way it's done offline anyways.

There really would be no other way to send the guild invites as the player would send in only 1 request through the mail and the guildmaster would either accept it or not.

This sounds like a fair way.

I mean I never would think players would spam the mail just for guild invites. if they did that's pretty sad :(

I'd actually argue in a different direction and say that we should be able to request invites to guild through an in game system. This could be done from the same hyperlink that guilds use to recruit players in the chat - there could be an extra button once you've clicked the hyperlink and it shows you the guild description, which upon clicking adds a pending request that guild officers (for e.g.) could see. Alternatively or alongside this as a way of allowing for offline application, If ever a guild search system was added to the game, it could also be added to that. Those requests could subsequently be approved whether that character is online or not.

This way, there is no spamming of offline players or mail systems, instead, the agency is solely placed on the player that wants to join. Allowing the user's guild membership to be approved while offline would also solve issues such as no one else currently being online / eligible to invite and allow 1-2 player guilds to invite their alts. I think that something along these lines would be a better solution for the most amount of people when taking into account recruitment spam - but it is dependent on one or two new systems being developed.

3. Log into the character on the FREE SWToR account (though you must do this from a second computer)

Many of us already know this is the best way to create a personal guild. Unfortunately, I currently can't afford a second computer. If I could, I would already have myself a personal guild.

Ugh, it's annoying enough to get spammed with Guild invites every time you start a new character and get to the starter planets.

Having them be able to spam those invites while you're offline on your mains as well would just be ridiculous.

Well they have a setting for the first you mentioned to auto decline so it could be possible to ad something restricting mail as well. I know there was something about importing something related to mail that I never understood so i'm sure implenting anything would help.

Many of us already know this is the best way to create a personal guild. Unfortunately, I currently can't afford a second computer. If I could, I would already have myself a personal guild.

I don't know if this changed since I last checked, but IIRC, it's not against TOS to multibox, just to use any form of input automation. (Read: you could load up two instances of SWTOR using particular software on one computer, and as long as there was no input broadcasting, shouldn't violate TOS.)

If this is still allowed, you could pretty easily load up multiple instances of SWTOR to invite someone to a guild, just alt-tab between the instances of the game to accept/send.

Back when I created my guild for my alts (I have a LOT of alts, and they'd flood most normal guilds)...this is how I invited them to my guild. (Now I don't worry about it so much, b/c that guild's become a small guild between myself, my brother, and my wife, and I just ask one of them to invite the alt in.)

That thread alludes to what I was saying, but doesn't clarify if the TOS on that have changed since...2016. As I said, if it's still technically allowed (there is a way around the mechanical limitation using a particular piece of software, if it's still allowed), then that's one way he could do it.

That thread alludes to what I was saying, but doesn't clarify if the TOS on that have changed since...2016. As I said, if it's still technically allowed (there is a way around the mechanical limitation using a particular piece of software, if it's still allowed), then that's one way he could do it.

I accidently tried to log in twice on my account (I got called away from my computer when I was logging in and didn't remember if I had tried to log in or not) and it still states that is not allowed and I seriously doubt they will ever allow that.

Edited by casirabit

I accidently tried to log in twice on my account (I got called away from my computer when I was logging in and didn't remember if I had tried to log in or not) and it still states that is not allowed and I seriously doubt they will ever allow that.

You can only run ONE instance of SWToR on a single computer, the game will only allow one instance. But you can run a second instance of SWToR in a VM (Virtual Machine) on the same computer.

Edited by denavin

OK, slightly confused here. In order to start a guild I thought you needed 5 characters and they had to be grouped when creating the guild. Is that not correct?

Can it be started with 2 and then add the other 3 later?

It has to be a group of 4. But a lot of players will pay people to join just for that and say they can leave once the guild is made.