Spirit of vengeance solo mode

MerlockVonBaron

Name one other example of completing Story Mode / Main Quest that required grinding gear or tricks.

I'm in BiS so I can complete it. I just find it boring and tedious with the unfixed version. It's also not just Rass influence Level either, but the mobs, boss HP, etc.

For a new player who just completed Onderon, Mek-Sha, and Objective Meridian, they will only be around Item Level 270 gear. To ask them to spam Hammer Station (or similar activity) and perform tricks to complete the Main Story Questline is a bit galling IMHO.

What is more galling: Bioware has acknowledged there are problems with the Flashpoint and is dorkin' around on a bunch of extraneous material. I have been playing MMORPGs since 2004. I am not (typically) prone to hyperbole but...

I have never played a game where the company acknowledges issues with the Main Quest / Storyline and then completely ignores it for what is now going on two months. When Traitor Among the Chiss had similar issues of tedium, BW fixed it within a week.

What accounts for that variation? I'll let forum-goers reach their own conclusions.

:csw_jabba:

Dasty

Above post is from February 1, 2021. Fast forward another two months and it is equally applicable.

As for bugs, they absolutely do still exist (as BW acknowledges). To be fair, though, I've found workarounds; i.e., I could just die and respawn at / rocket boost back to the proper point. But this isn't a GoFundMe project, this is a AAA MMORPG. I shouldn't have to die or reset FP (with cut-scene bugs) to progress.

More importantly, across a wide variety of social media platforms, the words I consistently read / hear to describe SoV are: tedious, slog, laborious, and annoying. It is highly disappointing BW has not addressed this issue at all, even just to say -- "We're fine with mob strength and density." At least then we would have a definitive position about BW adopting a fundamental paradigm shift with respect to its handling of Story Mode.

But as it stands now, as one of my friends put it, rewatching Game of Thrones S/8 is more enjoyable. /shade

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Above post is from February 1, 2021. Fast forward another two months and it is equally applicable.

As for bugs, they absolutely do still exist (as BW acknowledges). To be fair, though, I've found workarounds; i.e., I could just die and respawn at / rocket boost back to the proper point. But this isn't a GoFundMe project, this is a AAA MMORPG. I shouldn't have to die or reset FP (with cut-scene bugs) to progress.

More importantly, across a wide variety of social media platforms, the words I consistently read / hear to describe SoV are: tedious, slog, laborious, and annoying. It is highly disappointing BW has not addressed this issue at all, even just to say -- "We're fine with mob strength and density." At least then we would have a definitive position about BW adopting a fundamental paradigm shift with respect to its handling of Story Mode.

But as it stands now, as one of my friends put it, rewatching Game of Thrones S/8 is more enjoyable. /shade

Dasty

Rewatching the same episode of the care bears 100 times would be more interesting.

Dasty

Just had 2 teeth pulled and even that was more enjoyable than SoV......

Edited by denavin

I tried it with my Consular. He is range with multiopponent attacks and heals, so I can put the Companion on tank. I wanted to see if a different playstyle makes this better. NOPE! The Companion is at half health after every combat. At least he's alive and does keep the mob off me sometimes. I often get attacked directly anyway, but I can manage. I'm not near death, but I always need to stop and heal the Companion after every combat. I get to the first Boss. I die in 5 seconds.

F this flashpoint.

Sadly, this will definitely cause me to unsub once I get my main toon to this point. Even if I'm able to make it past it's not sounding too likely that I'll be wanting to take any other toons through. If this is to be the new norm of story mode for SWTOR then the time for me to leave the game is quickly approaching, not that anyone would care, most of all BW since they don't seem to mind pissing off the player base by ignoring this. :confused:

I don't get it, I must be doing something wrong. I have run this on every advanced class now except healers I don't play healers. I have deleted this message at least 4 times before now.

First off I am not trying to be a butt. Or troll or make fun of anyone.

The first time I ran it I was not full 306 gear but now I am. These bugs? The only bug I ran into is that I died on the third ship by the snipers trying to see if I could kill them, I could not. I fell and was forced to respawn. It took me to the starter ship without an escape pod. So I had to start over.

Far as Ras being too low a level? Never stopped me. If he does not show up like in the tentacle pit I run into the exit room and call him to my side. Then go attack a tentacle and order him to attack too. That solved that issue. I have always had to micromanage my companions in this way. Don't you?

Lots of people saying they get attacked by too many NPC's in some areas. That just sounds to me like you don't understand the mechanics of your class. AOE attacks in crowded areas will get you killed.

This Solo Mode is not Hard for me. I have played ALL Advanced Classes for many years now. Some since Launch.

I just feel like many of these complaints are just people not understanding the mechanics of this game and thus giving up. Stay calm and think about it. Granted this Mission is on par with level 75. It is very doable.

I will post it this time. Like I said I'm not here to shame anyone.

I don't get it, I must be doing something wrong. I have run this on every advanced class now except healers I don't play healers. I have deleted this message at least 4 times before now.

First off I am not trying to be a butt. Or troll or make fun of anyone.

The first time I ran it I was not full 306 gear but now I am. These bugs? The only bug I ran into is that I died on the third ship by the snipers trying to see if I could kill them, I could not. I fell and was forced to respawn. It took me to the starter ship without an escape pod. So I had to start over.

Far as Ras being too low a level? Never stopped me. If he does not show up like in the tentacle pit I run into the exit room and call him to my side. Then go attack a tentacle and order him to attack too. That solved that issue. I have always had to micromanage my companions in this way. Don't you?

Lots of people saying they get attacked by too many NPC's in some areas. That just sounds to me like you don't understand the mechanics of your class. AOE attacks in crowded areas will get you killed.

This Solo Mode is not Hard for me. I have played ALL Advanced Classes for many years now. Some since Launch.

I just feel like many of these complaints are just people not understanding the mechanics of this game and thus giving up. Stay calm and think about it. Granted this Mission is on par with level 75. It is very doable.

I will post it this time. Like I said I'm not here to shame anyone.

That's where I stand too. It's really not that hard when you focus on the healers first and use your defense cooldowns. It makes me wonder if people have just been playing easy mode without bothering to learn their abilities and that's why they are failing. I mean, I did it with level 1 Rass at least 10 times (done it on 22 characters so far).

That being said - it's possible that all that extra presence you get from being a legendary player makes a big difference, and I have 306 ir and set bonuses as well, so I just can't comment on how hard it is for a non legendary level 75 with 276ir gear. But it wasn't hard at all and I never even got close to dying (although yeah - the boss with all the adds can be annoying).

Edited by Pricia

That's where I stand too. It's really not that hard when you focus on the healers first and use your defense cooldowns. It makes me wonder if people have just been playing easy mode without bothering to learn their abilities and that's why they are failing. I mean, I did it with level 1 Rass at least 10 times (done it on 22 characters so far).

That being said - it's possible that all that extra presence you get from being a legendary player makes a big difference, and I have 306 ir and set bonuses as well, so I just can't comment on how hard it is for a non legendary level 75 with 276ir gear. But it wasn't hard at all and I never even got close to dying (although yeah - the boss with all the adds can be annoying).

Well, yeah, it's easier to beat Story Mode with ILvl 306 Set Gear.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

I am so glad that you did not find this hard in your 306 BiS Raid Gear complete with matching set bonuses, selected amplifiers and Augments....

Now climb down from your pedestal and take off all the BIS gear and try it like the majority of us in 268 to 290 gear with No Augments or matched sets or amplifiers and tell us again how easy it was before you start berating us on if we know how to play the game.

Edited by denavin

Nobody appreciates a “L2P NOOB” post.

Is it doable in the 304-306 ilevel gear? Yes. My gear is finally getting to tha point where I can share my drops with my alts to complete it. But, should the difficulty for Solo-story mode be that high to begin with? No, it should not.

I am so glad that you did not find this hard in your 306 BiS Raid Gear complete with matching set bonuses, selected amplifiers and Augments....

Now climb down from your pedestal and take off all the BIS gear and try it like the majority of us in 268 to 290 gear with No Augments or matched sets or amplifiers and tell us again how easy it was before you start berating us on if we know how to play the game.

Well, I was only giving my experience (also, no augments here and definitely not BiS, just set bonus with random amplifiers - just throwing it out there). But as I said... it also means that I have absolutely no idea how hard it is with 298 gear or whatever the max is for f2p.

But I didn't say that it shouldn't be toned down either. I mean, to compare, difficulty-wise, it reminds me of the veteran star fortress, which I would guess is NOT at all what they should be aiming for.

Now, that being said, there's a middle ground somewhere between steamrolling like in the Meridian flashpoint (what a joke, seriously) and this.

Makes me wonder how hard the new flashpoint is going to be.

How are you to this point and not in your own 306 Gear? I only play story modes. I have full sets of 306 gear for numerous alts. I have the full Death Knell, Tacticicians set Lord of Pain set, Right Priced set, victors set, undying set and of course the Champions set, Not to mention at this time I have the tech fragments to get the last part of the Descent of fear set. I also forgot to say I completed the gathering storm set the other night. Not to mention a few more uncomplete sets I have looted. I care less about my modifiers. If that's what you are doing trying to score the perfect mods then you will never get geared.

The whole gear discussion is totally moot and beside the point. This is about SOLO STORY mode. You should not need to grind anything to get through a SOLO STORY. This mode is supposed to be a walk in the park with the sole purpose to experience the story and get to the next story bit. As such you should be able to get through it with the gear that you have obtained up to now on a single character solely by playing the story.

As a side note: I have lately played a character from scratch without hand-me-downs which went through all available solo-content (class-story, planetary side quests, all side quests, bonus series, flashpoints, daily areas, HK-quest etc.). and this character did not reach a full set of 306-gear at the end. So a new player will definitely hit a roadblock when getting to Spirit of Vengeance.

Other problems people have are bugs, an unnecessary amount of silver mobs (making the flashpoint a slog for us who have 30+ alts) and tricky boss fights. That needs to be adjusted to fit how a normal STORY MODE flashpoint used to be up to now. Preferably before the next story update since you need to have cleared SoV to be able to move on in the story.

I myself haven't had problems with bugs or the difficulty (I have the gear for it), but I understand that others have problems, so why on earth would I come here and discredit those who find it hard or impossible? It's supposed to be easy fun, people are NOT having fun atm. And for you ppl who want to have a challenge, there are higher difficulties.

The whole gear discussion is totally moot and beside the point. This is about SOLO STORY mode. You should not need to grind anything to get through a SOLO STORY. This mode is supposed to be a walk in the park with the sole purpose to experience the story and get to the next story bit. As such you should be able to get through it with the gear that you have obtained up to now on a single character solely by playing the story.

As a side note: I have lately played a character from scratch without hand-me-downs which went through all available solo-content (class-story, planetary side quests, all side quests, bonus series, flashpoints, daily areas, HK-quest etc.). and this character did not reach a full set of 306-gear at the end. So a new player will definitely hit a roadblock when getting to Spirit of Vengeance.

Other problems people have are bugs, an unnecessary amount of silver mobs (making the flashpoint a slog for us who have 30+ alts) and tricky boss fights. That needs to be adjusted to fit how a normal STORY MODE flashpoint used to be up to now. Preferably before the next story update since you need to have cleared SoV to be able to move on in the story.

I myself haven't had problems with bugs or the difficulty (I have the gear for it), but I understand that others have problems, so why on earth would I come here and discredit those who find it hard or impossible? It's supposed to be easy fun, people are NOT having fun atm. And for you ppl who want to have a challenge, there are higher difficulties.

There's something else too though - with the exception of Objective Meridian (which is total rollmode) - players are also quite above the required level when they run the older flashpoints. Because we're stuck at level 75 and the flashpoint is level 75, it might be why it seems harder as well - just a thought, I've never done a flashpoint at its minimum level before.

But yes, it should be easier with 280ish gear (which everyone should have by now if they haven't skipped too much). I'm honestly surprised there still hasn't been any update on this.

Also, I get way worse drops in SoV than in any of the other flashpoints (I'm talking mostly purple drops), which is super frustrating - just throwing it out there.

How are you to this point and not in your own 306 Gear? I only play story modes. I have full sets of 306 gear for numerous alts. I have the full Death Knell, Tacticicians set Lord of Pain set, Right Priced set, victors set, undying set and of course the Champions set, Not to mention at this time I have the tech fragments to get the last part of the Descent of fear set. I also forgot to say I completed the gathering storm set the other night. Not to mention a few more uncomplete sets I have looted. I care less about my modifiers. If that's what you are doing trying to score the perfect mods then you will never get geared.

I just play story and most of my toons are around 297ish gear, don't think any have 300+

6.3 is coming soon. Hopefully they'll have fixed the difficulty.

I didn’t see that in the notes, but I hope you’re right.

I’ve been able to get my alts up to ilevel 306, so I can probably do it... but Solo-Story shouldn’t require that in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all! I recently came back to SWTOR to play the new stuff and forgot that I never beat this FP, but after reading everyone's comments here I'm going to grind for some gear and take a crack at it again. Thank you all for your labor and input thus far 💜

That aside, the FP SoV is STILL broken, I've got a 280-ish IL, and I still got my butt kicked by those blasted snipers on the second wave of the final boss. And no, the companion is still eating lead paint after this newest patch. As I said, I'm going to grind for better gear and go back to this, but as it stands, it's still buggy and broken :/ good luck all!

Edited by LadyVania

Hey all! I recently came back to SWTOR to play the new stuff and forgot that I never beat this FP, but after reading everyone's comments here I'm going to grind for some gear and take a crack at it again. Thank you all for your labor and input thus far 💜

That aside, the FP SoV is STILL broken, I've got a 280-ish IL, and I still got my butt kicked by those blasted snipers on the second wave of the final boss. And no, the companion is still eating lead paint after this newest patch. As I said, I'm going to grind for better gear and go back to this, but as it stands, it's still buggy and broken :/ good luck all!

Use Heroic moment when the snipers spawn. Gives you time to take them out while it heals you and comp.

Use Heroic moment when the snipers spawn. Gives you time to take them out while it heals you and comp.

Awesome, thank you!!! I'll give it a shot next time I make an attempt. Did they change the kolto stations? I can't click on them anymore and didn't notice them automatically healing me when I got close.

Awesome, thank you!!! I'll give it a shot next time I make an attempt. Did they change the kolto stations? I can't click on them anymore and didn't notice them automatically healing me when I got close.

You need to walk over the top of them/stand right on them. The newer ones arent click activated

I've only run this a few times solo (As in not story mode) I had 306 gear and...it just takes to long. Doable yes, long winded and really only worth re-doing if you want the decorations. Their are far better FP's than this if you are just after gear.

The decorations are OK and certanly can see player's doing this again and again for them, of course if you want to just buy them off GTN and have credits to spare, that also works.

As for the bugs or still broken?

I guess I have so far just been very lucky, as so far not accually encountered a bug doing this FP. I guess it's only a matter of time before I do, just not happen yet.

Edited by SavantDreadtech