Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is SWTOR closer to full canon?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Is SWTOR closer to full canon?

Vhaegrant
01.14.2021 , 02:29 PM | #1
Does the inclusion of SWTOR on the Lacasfilm Games sizzle reel mean it's full canon now?
I know there have been a few subtle references to Revan (not MY Revan, but then it's not MY Revan in SWTOR either &#128527 but as far as i remember bSWTOR was on the canned EU pile.

Edit: forgot to include a link to the Sizzle reel 😕
https://youtu.be/sKVWJNa3uqE

SteveTheCynic
01.15.2021 , 02:35 AM | #2
Of course not. The story of SWTOR *cannot* be canon unless it is vague about details at the "almost lost in the mists of history" level. There isn't one definitive *anything* about the identity or appearance of the main protagonist, nor the protagonist's faction allegiance, job (Jedi, Sith, soldier, smuggler, etc.), choice of weapons and clothes, etc., so the best they could manage from a canon point of view would be "an Outlander was captured by Prince Arcann, imprisoned, and then escaped and caused chaos that eventually led to the fall of the Eternal Emperor" and so on. As an actual story setting, it's a lost cause.
Something you find difficult is a lesson on how to play better, not a punishment for playing badly.
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
Latest patch notes at http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes

ChandrilaDeler
03.05.2021 , 10:34 AM | #3
Is being canon even an issue when it happens three thousand years before Anakin's birth?

SteveTheCynic
03.05.2021 , 11:59 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by ChandrilaDeler View Post
Is being canon even an issue when it happens three thousand years before Anakin's birth?
The question of canonicity has essenitally nothing to do with where the story is on the timeline, and (in the context of this thread) everything to do with the lack of a definitive version of the SWTOR story.
Something you find difficult is a lesson on how to play better, not a punishment for playing badly.

BurnoutAAS
03.08.2021 , 10:10 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by ChandrilaDeler View Post
Yes and no. It really depends on what Disney wants to do with that time period. Especially if they go more into the high Republic. Then there is the issue with some of the characters and books that are under the non-canon list. One of these is Revan. By making SWTOR canon then they would have to most likely have to make the Revan book canon and if they are not already the 2 KOTOR's since both Revan and Meetra are in SWTOR. Something they could that would not canonize the other games or books is rewrite the story of the characters. This is just my take of what could happen.

synerthol
03.19.2021 , 03:10 PM | #6
I hope the Old Republic won't be canon, I don't want Disney to screw this wonderful lore

MadDutchman
03.19.2021 , 03:25 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by synerthol View Post
I hope the Old Republic won't be canon, I don't want Disney to screw this wonderful lore
I don't get this at all. If Disney creates their own version, it's not like it's going to erase the Legend version from existence...
I Have Spoken

Use my referral link for free goodies.

AbsolutGrndZero
04.21.2021 , 11:53 AM | #8
Honestly, if they DID make it all canon, the most likely thing they would do is what they did with this game. Everyone always says "We want KotOR 3!!!" Okay, well then play SWtOR as a Jedi Knight. That's your KotOR 3. Don't get me wrong, all the stories are amazing and the Imperial Agent and Bounty Hunter are my two favorites, however if you want a true 'canon story' then the jedi knight's journey to defeat the Sith Emperor once and for all, well that really makes the most sense to be "canon" as that's the most consistent player story, especially with Scouge and Kira. I'd vote for a Female Miraluka Jedi Sentinel, but that's just me.
The Babylon Legacy
Harbinger
Racquel, Stancerry, Jennica, Porcelain

SteveTheCynic
05.01.2021 , 07:41 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by AbsolutGrndZero View Post
I'd vote for a Female Miraluka Jedi Sentinel, but that's just me.
Guardian, and specifically *this* Female Miraluka Jedi Guardian, but yes.

LeoAugustina
05.04.2021 , 03:26 PM | #10
I'd love to watch IMP agent story in movie
Operative from 2011