Old forum threads should auto-lock so we can't accidentally necro them

xordevoreaux

For people who aren't necessarily paying attention to the last date on a forum post, it'd be helpful if the thread auto-locked at the point which any further posts necessitated moderators sanctioning the wayward poster. Edited by xordevoreaux

I think it would be a good way to prevent necroing, I've seen some threads from 2012 coming back from life just because someone commented on it. What would be a good "timer" for the thread to be locked though? One week? Two? I feel like that would be too short? Perhaps a few months?

I think it would be a good way to prevent necroing, I've seen some threads from 2012 coming back from life just because someone commented on it. What would be a good "timer" for the thread to be locked though? One week? Two? I feel like that would be too short? Perhaps a few months?

Don't know but the moderators must have in their mind what the cut-off is, at least if they're applying the sanctions consistently.

Don't know but the moderators must have in their mind what the cut-off is, at least if they're applying the sanctions consistently.

True enough.

Unfortunately it can be subjective, as some threads might not have a post for a couple of months, but then something relevant pops up. For example the selonian post, that was a necro, but it started an interesting convo. So would it have been better if the poster had started their own thread, or necro like they did.

This came up when JackieQ first started, and was talking about cleaning up the forums.

Oh I wasn't following that thread, interesting. You do bring up a good point, also makes me think of an issue that a player might've had months ago that another might've found a solution, in that situation the thread being locked out might be detrimental. Though I suppose like Xorde has mentioned, the community managers probably know what the timeframe is better.

i see no problem with it to open old threads again.

the problem is that there are a lot off dupe threads about the same thing.

for exemple if you search on legacy friends you see a lot off threads about the same suggestion to add a legacy friends system so is that something you wane see that you get more and more threads about the same suggestion?

or is it smart to use one thread about the same thing you wane see in the game all has it been ask years ago?

Um yeah, is there a problem with necro'ing an old thread, as opposed to starting a new one? 🤔

TBH, as long as the post is topical and not just random chatter, and the premise of the thread is no less true than it was when it was posted (e.g.: "this issue is still present" or "hey, this new feature solved this problem" or "Oh, this is still relevant and I have another idea for it" or whatnot), I don't see a problem with thread-rez.

for exemple if you search on legacy friends you see a lot off threads about the same suggestion to add a legacy friends system so is that something you wane see that you get more and more threads about the same suggestion?

or is it smart to use one thread about the same thing you wane see in the game all has it been ask years ago?

Well if I recall one of the ways to clear out the forums that Jackie was something like unifying those types of request threads, as well as threads talking about specific subjects in general. So perhaps that kind of suggestion thread wouldn't be locked so long as someone commented on it every X amount of time, say, if someone comments every few days or a at least weekly thread doesn't get locked. This is just a suggestion of course, doesn't mean its how the system needs to work and I'm not even sure if that could be done.

Well if I recall one of the ways to clear out the forums that Jackie was something like unifying those types of request threads, as well as threads talking about specific subjects in general. So perhaps that kind of suggestion thread wouldn't be locked so long as someone commented on it every X amount of time, say, if someone comments every few days or a at least weekly thread doesn't get locked. This is just a suggestion of course, doesn't mean its how the system needs to work and I'm not even sure if that could be done.

we all have read the thread about Jackie that is telling there are to much threads on the forum.

there are few reasons why there are a lot off threads on the forum.

1: if you look on the suggestion box you will find a lot off the same threads that have been make like threads about the legacy friend list has been creat a lot so that type threads are a lot on the suggestion box.

so are there a lot off other threads that got a lot off copy's will the suggestion is the same.

2: there are also threads in the suggestion box that have been added in the game so that type threads can also be remove since its all in the game like the legacy ignore suggestions is something like that.

so the threads about the suggestion for the legacy ignore system can been remove more.

if you read the Suggestion Box Forum Guidelines thread you see that there are some rule's on the forum we all most folow more.

but when you read it and more read this part: Before making a new thread, search and see if there is already an existing thread.

is something that is nice that there tell it more but sadly you see almost notting in the practice from it.

(same sadly come's with something else where you can see that in the practice is doing the other thing but it has notting to do with this thread and i have post it all on the thread where i found it out more)

the idea about auto lock threads between some time is something that only will create more and more threads about the same things again.

so the point need to be that create a new thread about the same thing will there is all a old one needs to be stop more and use the one's that have been create all is it from years ago it will still be better to use old threads the make new one's each time about the same thing.

we all have read the thread about Jackie that is telling there are to much threads on the forum.

I haven't read that, but I nonetheless disagree with the OP. There have been a couple of necro'd threads which were updated with a solution or answer years later and they helped me with issues in this game. They were on top of the search engine, because the threads existed for a long time and were thus considered more relevant.

I think such updates of old threads are actually a good thing. The missing pets in the collections thread comes to mind as an example. It hasn't been updated for a long time. However, it would be worth updating, as it's still an ongoing issue.

If a necro is stupid, then it's the job of the forum moderation to sanction it. There is no need for further rules.

Apart from that, I have never accidentally necro'd a thread and I would like a clarification on how this is something which could happen to me? I ask, since the title says "we", thus I'm irritated.

This necro'ing business seems to be one of those artificial objections as opposed to something rooted in reality. Like what I heard a few years ago: "Nobody should wear cargo shorts unless they're doing it ironically."
TBH, as long as the post is topical and not just random chatter, and the premise of the thread is no less true than it was when it was posted (e.g.: "this issue is still present" or "hey, this new feature solved this problem" or "Oh, this is still relevant and I have another idea for it" or whatnot), I don't see a problem with thread-rez.
QFT. Edited by mike_carton

I never really understood what the big deal was. Some forums prefer you use existing threads in order to keep a certain discussion topic in one easy to find thread. In forums where that is the preferred method, regular posters are in the habit of looking at dates.

IMO, the whole necro-stigma is nothing more than a tool used to derail topics through griping.

Closing, moving and deleting topics are moderator functions, but so is merging topics. IMO (again), it was pretty annoying seeing a new "bring back this reward" thread every few days and having to respond using the same response you used in the previous thread... and the one before that...

Some necros are good. They pick back up a conversation and bring it into the foreground.

Some necros are bad. There is no reason to necro a years old thread just to quote a years old post for the purposes of telling them that they are wrong about something that changed years after the post was made.

Some necros are ugly. At least in this respect the sunsetting of the RAF program should put an end to the years old necros just to post one's referral link.

When the question was brought up to Jackie Ko about auto-locking old threads a rebuttal was made that there are threads, such as the [Companion] appreciation threads, that can go months without any activity.

Is the answer to auto-lock old threads? As has been said, what constitutes old is subjective. I think that the instances where a necro was appropriate outweigh those where a thread should have been left to rest. Perhaps they could make a change to the forums so that posts older than a certain date are identified in some way that is more obvious than merely the date.

Edited by ceryxp

• 2 weeks later...

They have to find a way to better educate players in forum manners, because a sticky isn't doing it. They have to show by example what is done to duplicate threads (They should be merged.) and scold people too lazy to search before posting.

For people who aren't necessarily paying attention to the last date on a forum post, it'd be helpful if the thread auto-locked at the point which any further posts necessitated moderators sanctioning the wayward poster.

No, it would not. This isn't Reddit. Old threads have a purpose, especially Bugs and Suggestions. All that information would be better to be in the same threads than giving people no choice but to act like this is Reddit and create a new thread every single time on the exact same subject. It makes searching for information more laborious if the policy changed to actually encourage the latter behavior that is already rampant. You solve this by educating members on proper forum etiquette.

I completely agree! It was the only way the Bonus Series bug got a working solution finally. The devs don't pay any attention to threads that quickly get buried, but one that consistently and persistently stays near the top will have no choice but to be addressed eventually with a solution. If people post in already existing threads on the same subject, it will also reduce thread clutter, making it easier to search for information. What the mods should do is merge threads on the same subjects, and remind the people that post duplicate or similar threads on the same topic to do a search first for similar threads before posting a new one and if one exists, to post there instead.

there are few reasons why there are a lot off threads on the forum.

1: if you look on the suggestion box you will find a lot off the same threads that have been make like threads about the legacy friend list has been creat a lot so that type threads are a lot on the suggestion box.

so are there a lot off other threads that got a lot off copy's will the suggestion is the same.

2: there are also threads in the suggestion box that have been added in the game so that type threads can also be remove since its all in the game like the legacy ignore suggestions is something like that.

so the threads about the suggestion for the legacy ignore system can been remove more.

if you read the Suggestion Box Forum Guidelines thread you see that there are some rule's on the forum we all most folow more.

but when you read it and more read this part: Before making a new thread, search and see if there is already an existing thread.

is something that is nice that there tell it more but sadly you see almost notting in the practice from it.

(same sadly come's with something else where you can see that in the practice is doing the other thing but it has notting to do with this thread and i have post it all on the thread where i found it out more)

the idea about auto lock threads between some time is something that only will create more and more threads about the same things again.

so the point need to be that create a new thread about the same thing will there is all a old one needs to be stop more and use the one's that have been create all is it from years ago it will still be better to use old threads the make new one's each time about the same thing.

That's because the forum denizens are treating the forums like Reddit and/or are too damn lazy to conduct a search first.

I haven't read that, but I nonetheless disagree with the OP. There have been a couple of necro'd threads which were updated with a solution or answer years later and they helped me with issues in this game. They were on top of the search engine, because the threads existed for a long time and were thus considered more relevant.

I think such updates of old threads are actually a good thing. The missing pets in the collections thread comes to mind as an example. It hasn't been updated for a long time. However, it would be worth updating, as it's still an ongoing issue.

If a necro is stupid, then it's the job of the forum moderation to sanction it. There is no need for further rules.

Apart from that, I have never accidentally necro'd a thread and I would like a clarification on how this is something which could happen to me? I ask, since the title says "we", thus I'm irritated.

OP thinks he speaks for everyone when he doesn't. Occasionally on other fora, I have seen threads get necro'd and met with admonishment, but they were completely irrelevant, unlike here on a site where old threads can and may still be relevant to the subject and contain valuable information.

This necro'ing business seems to be one of those artificial objections as opposed to something rooted in reality. Like what I heard a few years ago: "Nobody should wear cargo shorts unless they're doing it ironically." QFT.

But--I need pockets! They're all so very useful.

Edited by Tofu_Shark

I completely agree! It was the only way the Bonus Series bug got a working solution finally. The devs don't pay any attention to threads that quickly get buried, but one that consistently and persistently stays near the top will have no choice but to be addressed eventually with a solution. If people post in already existing threads on the same subject, it will also reduce thread clutter, making it easier to search for information. What the mods should do is merge threads on the same subjects, and remind the people that post duplicate or similar threads on the same topic to do a search first for similar threads before posting a new one and if one exists, to post there instead.

things like that you need to find and fix the problems and bugs the players have report on the forum good and keep making new content add the same time is a totality diffrend world then making concole game's.

but back then with the bonus series problem that took years to get a replay from eric some new threads coming about that players wane have some answers from the developers about the lot off bugs that not get fix and been report all for years and keep update by: still not fix and the date off report.

now are there showing slowly there going to fix the bugs and problems we report and not wait years to finely post on a bug or problem like it was back then.

what also helps and that will also help stopting a lot off opening old threads and making new one's about the same problem is that if there are bug's or problems there cant fix since its a game engine limit or something like that there also need to tell it since it will stop making new threads about the same problem also.

with the forum and dupe threads is a easy way to fix it and that is something i have see on other game forum's when there have some normal players give the moderator status to keep the forum in line more.

that there look if there are not dupe threads and close then fast and keep it peace on the threads also.

we have see it all on the hot topic threads how fast it can become out off controle and it become's more a fight then a discussion about something hot.

That's because the forum denizens are treating the forums like Reddit and/or are too damn lazy to conduct a search first.

100% true and see it also a lot off time's.

like few month's back somebody has make a thread he hate the planet sync system.

2 mins later a other guy make's a new thread about the same thing and the only replay's he got was from if you look good there was all a thread about it 2 mins ago on the top.

Aw hell no!

You know who will be made those mods: the forum regulars with their own agendas and axes to grind. BioWare would be foolish to trust this community with that kind of power. It's already clear and evident that there is a small group of people on the forum that wield a lot of power and abuse that power. There's also a strong suspicion someone has the ears of the devs, as we can't make out why BioWare makes such stupid decisions in making changes and adding certain things to the game, such as the Amplifier Panel that you couldn't collapse, or any number of other blunders when there was feedback there were improvements that needed to be made.

Edited by Tofu_Shark