I need a refund for an in-game purchase.

LordFell

So the other night I happened to check, and I was missing 50 Cartel Coins. I asked CSR what I had spent those on, because I couldn't remember spending any. They told me that I had bought a DK Stronghold (new, singular, character on a new server). I replied back "I didn't mean to do that, please, please, please refund this transaction." Customer Service was like.... "nope." I replied, asking them to do better; Customer Service advised me, again, not a chance, that and also they would delete any further mails on the topic.

Now, this is basically a fight over 60 cents. That's what 50 Cartel Coins is worth. They are also worth, by my figuring 25 Million credits, which is a bit more significant. But to be honest, there is a lot of "behind the scenes drama" that makes this a hill I'm willing to die on. I go into it more thoroughly here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/Need-refund-for-in-game-purchase/m-p/11582740#M91477

What I am asking from players, or possibly moderators should any visit this thread... is there any other place where I can ask for help on this issue, advocate for better customer service, receive succor... get my damn 60 cents back?

So the other night I happened to check, and I was missing 50 Cartel Coins. I asked CSR what I had spent those on, because I couldn't remember spending any. They told me that I had bought a DK Stronghold (new, singular, character on a new server). I replied back "I didn't mean to do that, please, please, please refund this transaction." Customer Service was like.... "nope." I replied, asking them to do better; Customer Service advised me, again, not a chance, that and also they would delete any further mails on the topic.

Now, this is basically a fight over 60 cents. That's what 50 Cartel Coins is worth. They are also worth, by my figuring 25 Million credits, which is a bit more significant. But to be honest, there is a lot of "behind the scenes drama" that makes this a hill I'm willing to die on. I go into it more thoroughly here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/Need-refund-for-in-game-purchase/m-p/11582740#M91477

What I am asking from players, or possibly moderators should any visit this thread... is there any other place where I can ask for help on this issue, advocate for better customer service, receive succor... get my damn 60 cents back?

You say it's a fight over 60 cents but yet you continue the fight. You will not get a refund for any CC purchase. Period. They don't do it. They won't do it.

I’ve never seen them refund someone because they bought something they didn’t want. Also for future reference to track your cartel coin purchases you can go to My Account > Cartel Coins tab to see all of your ingame cartel coin transactions. But as for them refunding you especially for as something as trivial as 50 cartel coins I wouldn’t hold your breath.

You will not get a refund for any CC purchase. Period.

There's one exception, but only one. If you buy an item in the Cartel Market, you can refund it up until the moment you claim it into your inventory, but in such a case, because there's a trivial UI for the player to take care of it, CS will not get involved there either.

But you can refund that kinda "half bought" item.

You say it's a fight over 60 cents but yet you continue the fight. You will not get a refund for any CC purchase. Period. They don't do it. They won't do it.
Yes, this is really not about that anymore. This was kind of a "last straw" moment for me, and the fight is about a lot more than 60 cents.... that's just the battleground it's happening on.

Also for future reference to track your cartel coin purchases you can go to My Account > Cartel Coins tab to see all of your ingame cartel coin transactions. But as for them refunding you especially for as something as trivial as 50 cartel coins I wouldn’t hold your breath.
I did go to My Account, but all that indicates is "in game purchase," which left me confused. What in game purchase? I didn't buy anything!

Except, yeah, I guess I did.

There's one exception, but only one. If you buy an item in the Cartel Market, you can refund it up until the moment you claim it into your inventory, but in such a case, because there's a trivial UI for the player to take care of it, CS will not get involved there either.

But you can refund that kinda "half bought" item.

I understand you're providing information and not arguing with me, so this response is not arguing with you... it's questioning the process. When you spend Cartel Coins, you are now spending real world money.... shouldn't more robust Consumer Laws take some sort of precedence here?

I understand you're providing information and not arguing with me, so this response is not arguing with you... it's questioning the process. When you spend Cartel Coins, you are now spending real world money.... shouldn't more robust Consumer Laws take some sort of precedence here?

Yes and no.

The problem is less intense now that they removed the Refer-A-Friend system, but for a long time I had my link in my signature here and i accumulated thousands of CCs a month without paying for them. (And "thousands" means 10K or so in some months, not 2000 CC a month...)

And even today there's a way to accumulate CCs without paying for them - play Galactic Seasons without playing catch-up...

Anyway, even the mostest robustest consumer laws still assum a duty of care on the part of the consumer - if you buy completely the wrong item completely by mistake, but the item you did buy is fit for the purpose for which it was *sold*, you won't get much help from the law/regulation, and nor should you. (In a physical purchase environment, e.g. my classic example of a hardware store selling handtools, the store will usually, for good customer service reasons, give refunds or exchanges if you buy the wrong thing by mistake, but it's a courtesy on their part, not a legal requirement. If they were seilling slot-head and cross-head screwdrivers and you mistakenly picked up the wrong type, the responsibility for that mistake lies on *your* head unless you can show that the product displays were labelled wrongly.)

In SWTOR, the corresponding situation might be "I bought the stronghold without meaning to", and it's entirely the player's fault if that happens. (Buying a stronghold either way takes some effort, and it's pretty clear how you're paying, so ...)

And distance-buying of dematerialised products like in-game doodads is governed in most countries by significantly weaker regulation than physical products.

When you spend Cartel Coins, you are now spending real world money.... shouldn't more robust Consumer Laws take some sort of precedence here?

This isn't exactly accurate. CC you get as the monthly 'sub' grant are not quite 'spending real money'. They are just another in-game currency in that case.

One of the reasons why they don't like to refund CC purchases is because, as usual, there are people out there who will try to game the system in various ways.