Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Confirming graphics card being used

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Confirming graphics card being used

ChocoThunduh
03.21.2020 , 07:30 PM | #1
Hey everyone!

Quick question here. Is there a way in game to confirm which graphics card is being used? I have a discrete Nvidia card and an integrated Intel card, and I want to make sure the game is using the Nvidia.

Thanks in advance!

Sean G.

JediQuaker
03.22.2020 , 09:54 AM | #2
I assume this must be a laptop. I haven't seen this come up for a few years now. You might be able to find an answer if you search these forums, or Linus Tech Tips forums, or just google it.
The only way I can think of atm would be to run something like GPU-Z or some other hardware monitoring app in the background and then run SWTOR to see what graphics chip is being used. (Either by alt-tab'ing out of SWTOR, or running SWTOR in a window.)
I'm fairly certain that any bugs in the software that switches graphics chips have been ironed out by now, and SWTOR should be using the nVidia chip, especially if you get into the software and explicitly enable the nVida chip.

However, I suspect that the reason you asked this is because you might have low fps, especially in PvP or OPs, and you wonder if the graphics are to blame. SWTOR is very CPU intensive, and it's the CPU that limits your frame rate, even if the graphics are turned to low.
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will - Yoda..

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

Adric_the_Red
03.22.2020 , 02:53 PM | #3
Short answer:

Look in Device Manager, under Display Adapters. It should show one or the other "card".

Long answer:

I have a similar situation with my PC - a desktop PC, not a laptop. The motherboard has an onboard graphics "card", and I have an nVidia card slotted.

In my Device Manager, the only thing shown under Display Adapters is NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050. nothing about the onboard "card".

The only way to switch between them, if I wanted to (and I don't), is to change my BIOS settings.
"Your deaths are useless if they do not inform". -- The Shroud
My referral link. Click for free stuff.

ceryxp
03.22.2020 , 05:18 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by ChocoThunduh View Post
Hey everyone!

Quick question here. Is there a way in game to confirm which graphics card is being used? I have a discrete Nvidia card and an integrated Intel card, and I want to make sure the game is using the Nvidia.

Thanks in advance!

Sean G.
You should have the NVIDIA Control Panel installed. In there you can specify which graphics processor a particular program should use ("Program Settings" tab under "Manage 3D settings"). There should also be an option in the NVIDIA Control Panel (for me it's under the "Desktop" menu) to "Display GPU Activity Icon in Notification Area." Checking that will place the activity notification icon in your notification tray. Hovering over that will tell you if the card is inactive or if a program is using the card.
--------------------------------------------------
Click the link. You know you wanna. You'll get free stuff. - http://www.swtor.com/r/W9ZqZj

JediQuaker
03.23.2020 , 06:49 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Adric_the_Red View Post
I have a similar situation with my PC - a desktop PC, not a laptop.
The only way to switch between them, if I wanted to (and I don't), is to change my BIOS settings.
The big difference with a PC is that you usually have to physically move the display's cable from the graphic card (1050) to a graphics port on the motherboard to change display outputs.
On some laptops, they have software that switches the display internally, automatically, to save battery power.
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will - Yoda..

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

ChocoThunduh
03.24.2020 , 01:14 AM | #6
Realize I didn't include a whole bunch of information in my first post, so my bad!
I did end up finding a program that worked for me because (here's the kicker) I'm on a mac and running this through Wine/PlayOnMac.

What made me think it wasn't using the right graphics card was, as you guessed, low fps. Got that all sorted and I'm having a blast! REALLY wish I could play with bloom and high shaders but 20-30fps just doesn't work for me. I can keep everything else at high and turn shadows off, bloom off, AA to medium and it runs quite a bit smoother so I'll roll with that. Thank you for the replies!