reboot gsf

darkzannah

Since fleet requisition can be spent on Ship unlocks, Crew unlocks, and Component unlocks, the Major Fleet requisition is clearly the way to go since it's also about 50% more req per com than the others.

This is false. The Major Ship Requisition grant is better because it is 4,000 on each ship (48,000) rather than 6,250 on any ship.

EDIT: To clarify, the process you should use is:

1. Accept the intro mission (do one GSF match), and get an item that gives about 25k fleet requisition
  2. Run one GSF match
  3. Use the token you get to get about 25k fleet requisition
  4. Unlock every ship that can be bought with fleet requisition (~18k?)
  5. Now you have 12 ships, each of which gets 1,200 or 4,000 requisition each time you use a ship requisition grant
  6. Run dailies and weeklies for commendations (50 per daily and 300 per weekly) and ship requisition grants (1,200 per daily, 4,000 per weekly)
  7. Use commendations to buy more major ship requisition grants (350 comms per 4k)
  8. Repeat until you've unlocked everything

If you want to power-level one character, you can transfer the grants you buy to that character via mail or legacy bank, but you can't transfer the ones you get directly from missions, so...

Edited by powerofvoid

Thank you both.

I made the mistake of using the 25K to buy upgrades on a single ship (Pub side Strike Fighter, FT-8 Star Guard.) Is it best to start with another character?

Is the following decent for Star Guard:

Starguard (TDM and Domination)

Primary: Heavy Laser Cannon (Ignore Armor/Shield Damage)

Secondary: Quad Laser Cannon (Efficiency/Hull Damage)

Secondary: Cluster Missiles (Increased Range/Plasma Warheads)

Shield: Quick Charge Shield (Reduced Cooldown)

Engine: Retro Thrusters (Turning)

Thrusters: Regeneration Thrusters

Capacitor: Damage Capacitor

Magazine: Regeneration Extender

Reactor: Large Reactor

Copilot Ability: Hydrospanner

Crew: Offensive B-3G9 6%, Defensive Nadia Grell, Engineering Yuun

Thank you both.

I made the mistake of using the 25K to buy upgrades on a single ship (Pub side Strike Fighter, FT-8 Star Guard.) Is it best to start with another character?

Is the following decent for Star Guard:

Starguard (TDM and Domination)

Primary: Heavy Laser Cannon (Ignore Armor/Shield Damage)

Secondary: Quad Laser Cannon (Efficiency/Hull Damage)

Secondary: Cluster Missiles (Increased Range/Plasma Warheads)

Shield: Quick Charge Shield (Reduced Cooldown)

Engine: Retro Thrusters (Turning)

Thrusters: Regeneration Thrusters

Capacitor: Damage Capacitor

Magazine: Regeneration Extender

Reactor: Large Reactor

Copilot Ability: Hydrospanner

Crew: Offensive B-3G9 6%, Defensive Nadia Grell, Engineering Yuun

That doesn't look like a terrible build to my eyes, but I would still recommend starting with another character so you can start off with more options, try out more ships, and save your ship requisition grants on this character until you've got 12 ships.

In my experience, the learning curve for gsf is indeed very steep, and something the tutorial does next-to-nothing to prepare you for.

However, unlike ground-based PvP, if you are bad at the game in your first couple of gsf games and then join the discord, ask questions, learn, understand, improve, and rinse/repeat, the gsf community will generally be very supportive and respond to questions. Yes, there is the occasional toxic jerk, but in PvP I would say it is the other way around - surrounded by toxicity when trying to learn, you might find the occasional player willing and knowledgeable enough to help.

It is almost as though the gsf community recognizes that they would benefit from having more engaged and interested players, while the PvP community are trying to scare away potential competition...

you can write essays all u like, heres a clearly skewed match with a brand new, non talented but better than half the opponent's team T1F

https://imgur.com/a/D1K9QD6

only upgrades were buying the base ion cannon and base retro thrusters , and also my own skill versus the obviously lacking skill of my opponents.

pointless as ****

There, I fixed that statement for you. I've seen these kinds of arguments so much that at this point, that my response is practice, learn, and get better, or don't play this game mode at all. Stop demanding that the devs hand you an easy, tailor-made experience right from the gate. GSF doesn't need the reboot. Your skills do.

There, I fixed that statement for you. I've seen these kinds of arguments so much that at this point, that my response is practice, learn, and get better, or don't play this game mode at all. Stop demanding that the devs hand you an easy, tailor-made experience right from the gate. GSF doesn't need the reboot. Your skills do.

Getting this back on the original topic: the fact that Oobi topped the scoreboard in a barely upgraded T1F actually demonstrates that rebooting GSF will not address the problem the OP is complaining about.

This is false. The Major Ship Requisition grant is better because it is 4,000 on each ship (48,000) rather than 6,250 on any ship.

EDIT: To clarify, the process you should use is:

1. Accept the intro mission (do one GSF match), and get an item that gives about 25k fleet requisition
  2. Run one GSF match
  3. Use the token you get to get about 25k fleet requisition
  4. Unlock every ship that can be bought with fleet requisition (~18k?)
  5. Now you have 12 ships, each of which gets 1,200 or 4,000 requisition each time you use a ship requisition grant
  6. Run dailies and weeklies for commendations (50 per daily and 300 per weekly) and ship requisition grants (1,200 per daily, 4,000 per weekly)
  7. Use commendations to buy more major ship requisition grants (350 comms per 4k)
  8. Repeat until you've unlocked everything

If you want to power-level one character, you can transfer the grants you buy to that character via mail or legacy bank, but you can't transfer the ones you get directly from missions, so...

Don't forget crew! The default crew have shortcomings, some of them serious:

Pub:

[*] Akaavi Spar!: If you're going to gunship, she's got Wingman and sensor dampening.

[*] M1-4X or Guss Tuno: These go with charged plating or maybe directional shield builds.

[*] Yuun! If you don't have a trooper, your strike fighters can keep firing a lot longer, and you get the engine efficiency talent.

Imp:

[*] Gault, Pierce, or Jaesa! All three of these give a 6% higher chance that a correctly aimed shot will actually connect. Gault reduces the time to fire most secondary weapons (except mines), Pierce increases your ammo pool (mines don't care), and Jaesa gives you a wider firing cone.

[*] Broonmark or Xalek! These go with charged plating builds.

[*] Blizz! Maximum engine energy talent means you're that much more mobile and harder to shut down with engine-draining abilities. He's your go-to imp crew for the hydro spanner copilot ability, which is nice for self-repairs when you don't have anyone with repairs in your group.

Regarding crew, you need to decide if you want to do KOTFE on this toon before or after you get large reserves of fleet req, because starting KOTFE takes them all away. If you start KOTFE before, you only have to buy them once. If you start KOTFE after, you'll have mastered ships and be able to just re-hire your crew.

To be put bluntly, I think most pilots aren't particularly good -- which says a lot given how small the community is.

But, one of the reasons GSF has stayed so niche (read small) is that most players try it out, have a lousy experience and never bother again.

I wouldn't ever expect a "reboot" given how little attention gsf gets ( in the 3 years I was gone, all that changed was cross-faction).

Yet, I can also sympathize with those wanting a better experience. After all the hours I've put in, to this day I still find myself in matches that weren't worth the wait for the q.

I got this weird idea of leveling to 75 without ever leaving the Republic Walker as a Trooper! Ie, I do GSF from lvl 1 to 75. Means that character can never pick intro mission, or dailies, or weeklies. As a result, his ships are way more gimped for much longer than what is the norm. Only ever solo queue on this character. After 35 or so matches played, I'm still nowhere near mastering a single ship on him. Normal character almost has a row mastered by then. This is how the stats look after 25 matches played. I'm a pretty good pilot but there are many who are way better. ie this isn't exceptional for anyone who knows what they are doing. Stock ship gets stuff done if pilot piloting it knows what he is doing. Mastered ship doesn't get much done if pilot hasn't yet figured GSF out. Solution: Figure GSF out. It isn't the most accessible thing in game..but neither is it rocket science; video tutorials people have send your way in this thread are all great.

But, one of the reasons GSF has stayed so niche (read small) is that most players try it out, have a lousy experience and never bother again.

Amount of people flying keeps going up or down depending on how busy TOR in general is. However, I'm betting percentage of people playign TOR who do GSF on regular basis is on slow&steady increase. ANd has been for few years.

Edited by Stradlin