Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

mousestalker
02.11.2012 , 11:37 AM | #301
Quote: Originally Posted by Karquile View Post
The OP topic was "Do you SUPPORT a Mac OS X client"...

I have an iMac, I would definitely use a Mac client, I support it. "They're not going to do it" may be true or false, but it is not a reason for support or nonsupport.

There are companies that do this for a living. They take a PC game, configure a WINE bottle that supports it, make a few keybind tweaks and release the bundle. That's pretty much how World of Warcraft and City of Heroes have Mac clients. They don't divert developer time away from the games for the sake of the Mac - they have a separate team.

If they make it I will buy it and so will many others, I can't make it any plainer than that.
What he said. WINE versions have the added advantage of generally being portable to Linux, which as we all know, is better than either Windows or OS X.

May the mass x acceleration be with you.

llesna
02.11.2012 , 12:20 PM | #302
Quote: Originally Posted by Lethality View Post
You should really, really pay attention to the topic... and if nothing else, the yellow post right at the top of this page. This is NOT about Boot Camp, it's about Mac OS X.
Sure, I'm going to read every single post in the thread *rolls eyes*.

You should have taken the time to read my own post in detail. If you read through it, you'll see that I've written in some detail about how my major concern was that development time would be taken away from other areas to code for a native client, but that if the developers decide to go for it, then I'd be fully behind it.

So, rather than raging, you really should re-read in full what I wrote and realise that I'm actually ON YOUR SIDE.

I mentioned bootcamp because, without the prior knowledge that a Mac version is in the works -- and no, it's not realistic to keep up with every bit of Mac-related news when I'm neither a Mac user nor someone with all the time in the world to read hundreds of posts -- it was a sensible thing to mention.

May peace and patience find you well.

Kind regards
llesna

P.S. If devs have indeed decided to go with a native OSX client, then that means they have the resources to make one without hindering the development of the game. As such, the condition for my support is fully met

Pencilvania
02.12.2012 , 02:51 AM | #303
Quote: Originally Posted by llesna View Post
Sure, I'm going to read every single post in the thread *rolls eyes*.
I think you may have over looked what he was trying to say in the first place.

He was not referring to a post that someone else had made in the last 31 pages.

He was referring to the very first post on this thread. The topic. In it it says that this thread is not Bootcamp thread nor is it a Mac Vs. PC thread.

No need to rummage, simply go back to the first page. It's an honest mistake to make.

What may not be so honest of a mistake might be the views mentioned previous on how games use developers. Making a Mac client is not as costly and complex as most assume it is. Having worked in the game design industry and after being familiar with many veteran and freshman developers, the world works different than most think.

I think you'll find that with a little more research you might find not only the truth but the reason why some Mac users are so confused by Bioware's decision to ignore the Mac platform and it's users.

Those inside the industry know that a Mac client in SWTOR is not a decision based on cost, it is based on ignorance.

This thread is to show support of a client.

There are many other threads for Bootcamp and the like.
SWTOR FOR MAC! SWTOR FOR EVERYONE!

Viamos
02.19.2012 , 07:01 AM | #304
Yes, please.

Avrid
02.19.2012 , 08:22 AM | #305
No i dont. I think the time money and resources that would be required to make and keep a mac client running could be better used elseware. mac users can easily intstall dual operating systems if they want to run the game

LaVolpex
02.19.2012 , 08:31 AM | #306
Quote: Originally Posted by mountains View Post
No, you can bootcamp and retain 95% of your computer's performance. Or you can just be like a rational person, and not buy an Apple computer to game on.

<--- owner of 3 OS X/iOS devices.
this

with todays hardware, there is no excuse

also , i have seen firsthand just how much trouble is actually keeping a mac client up to date too, league of legends eventualy had to stop supporting a mac client because simply put, the cost and time it was taking them to keep the mac client updated was too long/too expensive and it was screwing over the rest of the pc users ( for some reason mac client bugged out much , and screwed pc users over because you have to play one man down everytime that kind of stuff happens )

honestly i dont feel that there is a significant amount of the playerbase playing on MAC to justify the cost and time it would take

LaVolpex
02.19.2012 , 08:43 AM | #307
Quote: Originally Posted by Noctournys View Post
I love observational misinformation.

Those statistics are for all computers, everywhere. That includes every fortune 500 company who has Linux servers and tens of thousands of cheap desktop terminals running some flavor of Windows.

the home market, Apple has almost 17% of the market. iDevices luring people to the Mac camp has been a serious boost.

in the laptop market, they have almost 30% of the market.

Even if 10% of people with Macs could run SWTOR (which is a little low - it ran totally fine on an older iMac i have in the house, with a fairly minimal GPU), that'd still be 5 or 6 million Mac users as potential clients. If even 5% of those people played SWTOR on their macs, you're still looking at 200,000+ players. At 15 bucks a month, that's still a pretty substantial pile of money.

Yes, it will end up being a small fraction of their player base, but no EA shareholder is going to be upset that they are spending the time to add another few million to the pile every month.

The main issue, and the reason we wont see an OSX client, is because the version of the HERO engine they used for SWTOR wasn't cross-platform, and it has now been so heavily modified there's simply no way to drop in support for the newest HERO engine version (which IS cross platform) without an almost total re-write.

What is potentially likely is that during a major expansion pack, they will overhaul the client and drop in support for the new HERO engine - much like Blizzard did when they made the client 64 bit native - essentially a complete rewrite, or when they dropped in the new OpenGL engine - but it isnt something that will happen outside of major expac time, if ever.

Yeah, i support an OSX client, so i dont have to boot back and forth. It's kinda annoying. But ill still be playing.
the thing is, out of these potential 200k ( wich we both know where you pulled this number from ) you have to consider the people that are already playing it bootcamped...that is not a potential gain for the company as they are already recieving his money, they are not going to invest on redesigning the code just for the "convinience" of these players not having to bootcamp it

i seriously doubt we see a mac client anytime soon , if ever

Janeos
02.19.2012 , 12:48 PM | #308
Quote: Originally Posted by Pencilvania View Post
Do you support a Mac OS X client for SWTOR?

This thread is for discussing support for an OS X client for Star Wars The Old Republic. Please keep comments related to that topic.

This is not a Bootcamp thread.

This is not a Mac Vs. PC thread.
Yes that's what he asked
(as the thread is becoming a Mac vs everyone)

and... Nope, game has no Mac support and no news as of this writing...
You call their support lines and ask something and say your Mac ... Boom ... No support

Lethality
02.19.2012 , 02:12 PM | #309
Quote: Originally Posted by LaVolpex View Post
this

with todays hardware, there is no excuse

also , i have seen firsthand just how much trouble is actually keeping a mac client up to date too, league of legends eventualy had to stop supporting a mac client because simply put, the cost and time it was taking them to keep the mac client updated was too long/too expensive and it was screwing over the rest of the pc users ( for some reason mac client bugged out much , and screwed pc users over because you have to play one man down everytime that kind of stuff happens )
LOL. You've "seen" first hand... as a grubby gamer? You have no clue how about software development. I can't even believe I am wasting my time replying to you. You're clearly out of your league here.

Here's a thought: The big boys do it... Blizzard, Valve. So, it isn't impossible, isn't too expensive, and is incredibly lucrative for them.

Unless you're a developer who can't walk the walk... you're foolish to not produce games for the Mac, ESPECIALLY a mainstream MMO based on the mainstream Star Wars IP.

Quote: Originally Posted by LaVolpex View Post
honestly i dont feel that there is a significant amount of the playerbase playing on MAC to justify the cost and time it would take
Because you have no clue how extremely large the Mac playerbase is... BioWare knows it, and is working towards addressing the Mac audience. So stay tuned, it's coming.
Interested in a Mac version of TOR? Show your support here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=683591

Sophea
02.20.2012 , 02:11 AM | #310
Quote: Originally Posted by NasherUK View Post
Not sure there is enough demand. Plus they would have to re-write the game engine in OpenGL which isn't likely to happen for a long time.
They have already stated its being worked on, the question is when's the release

Sophea