How would you fix the GTN problem?

afwhoefuwov

The funniest part about this entire thread is the timing. Currently there is a half-price collection unlock sale going. All of a sudden, the demand for cartel market items is extremely high and that has driven the prices up to almost double what they will be again in a couple weeks. I completely agree with players that save their subscription CCs to use for unlocks and buy their cartel items with credits instead. But to sit here and cry because you waited for inflated credit prices to buy something so you can save on unlocks ... well ... I can see right through that.

You don't have to buy something today and if you watch the GTN diligently, you will eventually find a reasonable price on whatever you are looking to buy. People just have no patience these days, which is why some buy credits from gold-spammers and then cry about the GTN prices.

If I buy something "low" on the GTN and sell it "high," I'm still just playing a game. My characters are business savvy.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would also block people selling on the GTN. That would sabotage Biowares own financial income from the Cartel Market buyers, which would in turn cause EA to shut down the game.

This. EA/BW has monetized the movement of our credits, and it creates all kinds of in-game economic distortions.

Whether fixing it would cause them to shut down, I don't know. The other option is they incentivize subscriptions by making them high-value (no sabotaged QoL/further-monetized game mechanics, for starters).

While I’m a fan of the scaled GTN tax as a credit sink, you need to realise that it won’t lower inflation on the GTN because savvy sellers will incorporate the tax into the sell price. It will not reduce inflated prices, it will increase them.

Actually, you'd probably just see 20X as many people selling things in /trade and/or general chat. Then competitors would probably begin using their guild members to squelch other sellers and then there'd be a huge mess for Bioware to deal with.

this is an issue of biowares making in that they allowed exploits to make to live, and then didn't remove exploited credits.

This ^^ is at the heart of it. This was the thing, years ago now, that began the endless spiral of inflation. What on earth were they thinking, anyhow?

You are proposing to fix a problem that doesn't exist. If someone is listing stuff at 1 billion credits, who cares? It's not selling at that.

Also a problem EA probably likes. They can say "F2P/Preferred is fair look how high credit the limit is!" but oops the economy is also in a state of hyper-inflation so the limit is not really very high. Better sub sucker!

welcome to the consequences of "haha they are canceling the referral program! HAHA". The end of the referral program ended a rather large group of people who were buying items from the CM and posting them on the GTN.

Now that the referral CC is drying up, the only people consistently posting new items on the GTN are people who pay real life money.

I have already watched most prices on popular items go up 30-50% and nearly double for some rare items.

I actually predicted this before they did it.

Also a problem EA probably likes. They can say "F2P/Preferred is fair look how high credit the limit is!" but oops the economy is also in a state of hyper-inflation so the limit is not really very high. Better sub sucker!

GTN inflation doesn't affect the fixed cost of items in the game (i.e. the cost of a character perk does not go up). But what inflation does do is make it easier for F2P players to make credits by selling stuff on the GTN. So you can actually reach the cap faster each time you spend all your credits.

Actually, you'd probably just see 20X as many people selling things in /trade and/or general chat. Then competitors would probably begin using their guild members to squelch other sellers and then there'd be a huge mess for Bioware to deal with.

Sure, some would definitely do that. But it wouldn’t diminish from the actual GTN listers like myself from plying our trade.

And Bioware would be removing more of the “extra” credits from the game.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I'll say it again... This last week's inflation is a direct result of the collections unlock sale. In about 2 weeks, many cartel items will be about half what they are today (on the GTN). There's only like one day left on the sale. Edited by BRKMSN

Sure, some would definitely do that. But it wouldn’t diminish from the actual GTN listers like myself from plying our trade.

And Bioware would be removing more of the “extra” credits from the game.

The GTN tax works great on removing extra credits from the game during inflated prices. If somebody actually sold something on the GTN for 1 billion credits (without the guild perk), 100M credits would be removed from the game.

I'll say it again... This last week's inflation is a direct result of the collections unlock sale. In about 2 weeks, many cartel items will be about half what they are today. There's only like one day left on the sale.

That’s also true because there is always a bump in CM items during the sale period. Combined with the other recent changes on top of already increased inflation and it’s a perfect storm at the moment.

There may be a small decrease after the sale, but with limited free CCs now and GS eating up some people’s stock piles, there will be less CM supply making it to the GTN. Lower supply will still lead to more inflation than before.

The credit sellers are going to have another bonanza in the coming weeks and months. The same as they did when 6.0 was released.

The GTN tax works great on removing extra credits from the game during inflated prices. If somebody actually sold something on the GTN for 1 billion credits (without the guild perk), 100M credits would be removed from the game.

You’ve no argument from me. I’m just suggesting the add a scaling tax to take a bigger chunk of the higher the priced items and they could actually reduce the tax on the lower cost items.

raise the max GTN price to 4 billion.

welcome to the consequences of "haha they are canceling the referral program! HAHA". The end of the referral program ended a rather large group of people who were buying items from the CM and posting them on the GTN.

Now that the referral CC is drying up, the only people consistently posting new items on the GTN are people who pay real life money.

I have already watched most prices on popular items go up 30-50% and nearly double for some rare items.

There is no fix except allowing all CM items to be purchased at any time. That would allow a stable CC to Credit ratio even if the amount of credits steadily increases due to normal inflation.

Except no? The prices on the GTN were already high before the program was terminated. I cited a pair of gloves earlier, that happened 2 years ago, I think. So either you're opening premise is wrong, or someone was psychic, and knew this was going to happen?

spelling...

Edited by robertthebard