Another noob question - in-match-chat

Przemo_No

Hi vets,

Having recently discovered the fun GSF actually provides, I engaged myself more and more in this part of the game and persisted throught the inevitable streak of unexpected (and fast) deaths.

I have found my preferred ship, I am working on upgrades, etc, etc.

but there is ONE THING I cannot figure out at all.

HOW do I access the CHAT line, during the fight???

In regular PVP, it is available, obviously in PVE as well, but in GSF I cannot find the way to be able to type anything in group chat DURING the match. Pressing ESC ( and any other key fo that matter) it still doesn't bring the chat line on top.

So how do I warn my team about baddies incoming to a satellite??

Thank you for any tip!

The standard hotkeys should work, same as on Fleet, in Ops, or anywhere else, unless of course you re-bound them to a custom keybind.

If you want to use the mouse interface, which I wouldn't recommend in GSF because you can't steer if the mouse is doing something else, there is a key, I think maybe z or Shift z, that will bring up your mouse cursor. I'm pretty sure I've rebound mine so I could use Z for movement controls so check your keybinds in preferences because I've been using a custom keybind setup for so many years that my recollection of this isn't entirely trustworthy.

The standard hotkeys should work, same as on Fleet, in Ops, or anywhere else, unless of course you re-bound them to a custom keybind.

If you want to use the mouse interface, which I wouldn't recommend in GSF because you can't steer if the mouse is doing something else, there is a key, I think maybe z or Shift z, that will bring up your mouse cursor. I'm pretty sure I've rebound mine so I could use Z for movement controls so check your keybinds in preferences because I've been using a custom keybind setup for so many years that my recollection of this isn't entirely trustworthy.

You are close. Its "M", will bring up the team line-ups, and you can do it from there.

Also, you can hit esc button a time or two and your cursor will jump into chat and you can go from there

It is best to do it while not moving, like sitting at a node and you see enemy ships coming in, and you type "3 incoming A" type of thing.

Those that type a lot during a match, other than tactical data, such as the incoming call to a node end up not being huge contributors.

so it is recommended keeping it to a minimum.

If you are asking advice questions during a match, its probably best to wait til after.

And make sure you join in game GSF channel

By typing /cjoin gsf. so you can ask advice and what not there.

I might also add, because it come sup from time to time, that you cannot see your individual scoreline during a match.

You can just see the roster of both teams and whether someone is dead, alive or not contributing.

If you notice someone not contributing, that means they arent helping the team (most likely).

You can left click on their name to vote to kick them out of the match.

When you get four votes to vote kick, they get kicked out.

And then, they dont get in another match for 15 minutes.

Just as if you left a match early.

I might also add, because it come sup from time to time, that you cannot see your individual scoreline during a match.

You can just see the roster of both teams and whether someone is dead, alive or not contributing.

If you notice someone not contributing, that means they arent helping the team (most likely).

You can left click on their name to vote to kick them out of the match.

When you get four votes to vote kick, they get kicked out.

And then, they dont get in another match for 15 minutes.

Just as if you left a match early.

Can I add (I know you know this) but before instigating a vote kick against someone, check to see if they have the stock ship bar. Because if so, they are very likely a newbie who is trying but goes long periods without hitting someone. That used to happen to me all the time, and it would've sucked to be vote kicked as a newbie who is struggling but trying.

I rolled a new character to check default settings.

z is press to hold mouse mode

Shift z toggles mouse mode

I'm amazed I remembered it more or less correctly.

Oh, and to start typing a chat message, hit enter and start typing. Type / and the channel number to switch channels.

I generally have 4 as the GSF channel and 6 as Ops so as an example

General: /4

GSF:The noobs in this match are doing pretty well, they're even calling incomings.

GSF: /6

Ops: I'll be at C in a moment, stay near the sat and hold on.

Edited by Ramalina

Thanks ALL.

Ok, so it is "M" key then.

and no, I do not plan to have extensive chats, but in case of incoming to particular node, simple "3 inc A" would probably help, same way as it helps on Alderaan nodes or Hypergate pylons. That's all.

I did not seem to be able to find that on my won during matches. You cannot just sit "stealthed" at the node and write, you need to constantly move and control the moves, so no long chats.

Thanks ALL.

Ok, so it is "M" key then.

and no, I do not plan to have extensive chats, but in case of incoming to particular node, simple "3 inc A" would probably help, same way as it helps on Alderaan nodes or Hypergate pylons. That's all.

I did not seem to be able to find that on my won during matches. You cannot just sit "stealthed" at the node and write, you need to constantly move and control the moves, so no long chats.

Just for the record, you don't actually need to keep moving, you press X to reduce ship throttle to zero and then type your message. Obviously that's risky if you are presently under attack, but in those few seconds before the enemy is in range you can stop your ship to type.