Combat styles are death of game

Rivazar

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given all the other threads, there are other people with complaints. However, it is more helpful to the devs if you tell them what you want to be able to do that combat styles will prevent you from doing or take away. That will allow them to find a solution. "I don't like this" is not very useful feedback from a design perspective.

I have to say I kinda like the idea. What I dont like about it is that it is again the kind of stuff where they recycle content. They avoid adding something new by reusing something that is already there. It was like Galactic Command or DvL where you had to run all the old content again.

In PVP it will be interesting as you wont be able to know the discipline of the enemy just by seeing the class.

This stuff isnt even officially ironed out yet. May not want to head to the dooms day bunker just yet.

So when was the last time something was on the PTS and based on the feedback it was retracted? That was a rhetorical question btw. I'm sure it'll be tweaked but BW have a history of putting stuff on the PTS and still go through with it even when the community is dead set against it.

So...it's kinda not too early to complain and freak out about it. Of course the game won't die over it, but an exodus like with galactic command is possible.

But that aside, by introducing combat styles there will be a bigger heap to pick "the best from". It seems no different than now, but say that right now you play a juggernaut dps and the team accepts that because well you're a juggernaut so you can't change that. But now they will be like, hey, switch over to marauder. It will depend on the group how they will deal with you when you say "no, I feel more comfortable or I have more fun with the juggernaut".

Edited by Tsillah

Not flaming here; I just remember a good saying when it comes to game development:

“If you gave the player base a magic hat, from which they could pull any kind of content or game creation ideas out of, there will always be part of the player base that complains about the color of the hat.”

So simply put to that end, like someone else had stated, its perhaps best to post ideas and feedback for the devs rather than just comments about why it may suck (to you).

I do of course already see some downsides to this propased system. But personally, i like the idea of a refreshness to the game. Not that it was stale, but I’d like to see more classes on the PTS so we can get a better idea, and then maybe help comment further at that time.

Edited by SOULCASTER

Not flaming here; I just remember a good saying when it comes to game development:

“If you gave the player base a magic hat, from which they could pull any kind of content or game creation ideas out of, there will always be part of the player base that complains about the color of the hat.”

So simply put to that end, like someone else had stated, its perhaps best to post ideas and feedback for the devs rather than just comments about why it may suck (to you).

I do of course already see some downsides to this propased system. But personally, i like the idea of a refreshness to the game. Not that it was stale, but I’d like to see more classes on the PTS so we can get a better idea, and then maybe help comment further at that time.

I know, you can never ever please everybody, but BW has a tendency to tick off too many players. The trick is to get the number of people you tick off to be a smaller rather than a larger group.

And well the game does need freshness (in my view it has become stale) I do agree on that. And hey I'm not gonna run away before I try it. But I said that with galactic command as well and a month after it was out I left and didn't come back till a year and a half later... and I'm one of the ones that came back. A lot didn't and that was the final thing that lead to server merges.

I really would rather they didn't pull a stunt like that again.

This stuff isnt even officially ironed out yet. May not want to head to the dooms day bunker just yet.

sharply disagree there. they know what they want to do and have begun deploying it for pts. that said, I don't think WE know what they want to do yet.

Combat styles aren't what we asked for. We wanted a broadening of weapons available to each class. I play my mercenary to play a mercenary, or my guardian to play a guardian. I'm not opposed to the idea they're pitching but separate combat styles from weapon requirements. Let a commando use a blaster rifle instead of those obnoxiously oversized cannons, or let a marauder use a saberstaff instead of dual wielding sabers. But don't bind that concept to having to change out your entire class identity if you don't want to do so.

Combat styles are death of game

Someone else under multiple forum handles some while back declared the game is dying. That thread lasted forever until it it got nuked, and good riddance to it. Both that thread and the original poster are long gone, but the game is still here.

Most likely the only death we'll see from this thread is when you kill your subscription when you rage quit.

The game will survive combat styles.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Lol am I only one who is absolutely against combat styles? This is just a **** that destroyes the spirit and core of this game entirely. Game absolutely has no need of it.

I thought Free To Play was the death of the game? Followed by numerous other "death of the game" accusations over the years that still haven't panned out yet.

Lol am I only one who is absolutely against combat styles? This is just a **** that destroyes the spirit and core of this game entirely. Game absolutely has no need of it.

No, you're not alone.

There's like ten or so of you making a very loud ruckuss about how this is the end of the game.

That said, there's way more that like the change.

I thought Free To Play was the death of the game? Followed by numerous other "death of the game" accusations over the years that still haven't panned out yet.

Let's be fair here... the launch of the game was the original death of the game.

There's been cries of "this game is dying" since before the game launched.

So when was the last time something was on the PTS and based on the feedback it was retracted? That was a rhetorical question btw. I'm sure it'll be tweaked but BW have a history of putting stuff on the PTS and still go through with it even when the community is dead set against it.

So...it's kinda not too early to complain and freak out about it. Of course the game won't die over it, but an exodus like with galactic command is possible.

But that aside, by introducing combat styles there will be a bigger heap to pick "the best from". It seems no different than now, but say that right now you play a juggernaut dps and the team accepts that because well you're a juggernaut so you can't change that. But now they will be like, hey, switch over to marauder. It will depend on the group how they will deal with you when you say "no, I feel more comfortable or I have more fun with the juggernaut".

Devs are just destroying classes as basis of this game. Jug is jug, he shouldnt be marauder, you want marauder then take marauder. Mmorpg is about grouping and guilding with many different classes, each one has pro and contra, but devs are going to destroy the foundation of mmorpg by destroying class exclusivity.

Someone else under multiple forum handles some while back declared the game is dying. That thread lasted forever until it it got nuked, and good riddance to it. Both that thread and the original poster are long gone, but the game is still here.

Most likely the only death we'll see from this thread is when you kill your subscription when you rage quit.

The game will survive combat styles.

Death not by "noone is going to play". Death is here more like the game we know and love will just die and instead comes something "acceptable".

Devs are just destroying classes as basis of this game. Jug is jug, he shouldnt be marauder, you want marauder then take marauder. Mmorpg is about grouping and guilding with many different classes, each one has pro and contra, but devs are going to destroy the foundation of mmorpg by destroying class exclusivity.

Yeah, it's like ME: Andromeda. I'm not a fan.

I tend to agree with you. When I play an mmo I pick the class I want and then play. I don't feel the need to suddenly switch that character up and turn it into a new class basically. I just make alts. I was kind of dumbfounded when I saw this as the big thing for the new expansion.

I've been very casual to the game for years, but just within these past few months I've been very focused on this game and been learning more over the past few months than I did over many years of casual play (mostly the odd story chapter now and again) I've been playing PVP more and slowly working out what class does what, what to watch out for in warzones. How will people in PVP know what they are fighting if their toolbar says agent but they are using some other classes skills and abilities? It's very possible I don't understand the changes very well, so I'm not making an argument or position. Just trying to understand better.

But yeah, for this next expansion I'd much prefer new races, new classes, more story for our companions. Maybe even more unique class story. Maybe I'll change my mind later when I try it out, but right now not very excited.

That's an interesting thought...

Essentially you're saying that because everyone can play a juggernaut storyline as a marauder (ability wise), that is somehow going to destroy the class exclusivity in multiplayer content?

That makes no sense.

That's an interesting thought...

Essentially you're saying that because everyone can play a juggernaut storyline as a marauder (ability wise), that is somehow going to destroy the class exclusivity in multiplayer content?

That makes no sense.

I don't think that your summary of what he's saying is correct. It's not related to story at all. He doesn't mention that in his post, so why do you interpret it like that? He's talking about group content. I think I know what he's getting at. I will explain:

Now let's say that out of all DPS Combat Styles for force users marauder/sentinel do the most DPS. At some point after all is said and done people will know like always who has the most DPS etc. That's business as usual.

So now, if you play a juggernaut cause you like it in the current set up, a group will have to accept that. I mean all advanced classes are viable but there can be a difference in DPS output. In the new situation people might require you to switch AC to a style that you really don't like.

It will depend on the group of course but I'm expecting this to happen in 7.0 because a lot of people just want things to be done faster. And if you don't switch to the desired combat style or don't do well with it, they might kick you.

Edited by Tsillah

"Combat styles" aren't even choosing your characters preferred weapons or fighting techniques, it's just a straight up class change. Nobody wanted or needed this, it's just a copy paste from FF14, a game where making alts and leveling through the base game is miserable.

What we wanted is to play our favorite class, but with more weapon choices that would bring some flavor to our characters, like a bounty hunter that uses a blaster carbine. You know, like that one guy in that one movie. Or a assassin that uses a single, shorter bladed lightsaber, or maybe a jugg that dual wields. Different animations needed, sure, and maybe some slight bonuses/penalties that match the logic of the choice, but aren't big enough to change any metas.

"Combat Styles" are actually bringing less choices to the game. A sorc is still a sorc, a jugg is still a jugg. Any player who bothered to make multiple toons already had the choices of classes. Bioware Austin is using these "new" choices to justify pruning abilities and talent choices, again not that the community as a whole wanted or needed that in the first place.

This whole situation is being created to make SWTOR appeal to people who don't play SWTOR. It's a mindset of getting people to play the game for a few months, hopefully buy some CC for the cartel market, and then leave when they get bored of how shallow 7.0 is going to be. It's a revolving door business model, and there's not going to be a whole lot of reasons for vet players, or any other players, to stick around very long.

The whole thing is just really lazy. They wanted to sell Cartel Market rifles to Bounty Hunter players, but they didn't want to create new animations. That's the beginning and end of their combat style idea. Now cue the apologists who line up to declare that you simply don't understand how much time, effort, and money it would cost to produce new animations, something amateurs regularly do in their free time for other games, and often at a higher level of quality than anything in this game. Taking "shoot rifle" animations, and applying them to a character that shares the same rigging? You're simply being unreasonable.

What we wanted is to play our favorite class, but with more weapon choices that would bring some flavor to our characters, like a bounty hunter that uses a blaster carbine. You know, like that one guy in that one movie.

lol QFE !!!! --- ahhh, if only we could

This whole situation is being created to make SWTOR appeal to people who don't play SWTOR. It's a mindset of getting people to play the game for a few months, hopefully buy some CC for the cartel market, and then leave when they get bored of how shallow 7.0 is going to be.

My heart hopes you're wrong....yet my head thinks you're right. We still have to wait & see what the full extent of this LotS update truly means, but gosh it sure does seem like that's the underlying plan from BioWare.--or EA?

It's a revolving door business model, and there's not going to be a whole lot of reasons for vet players, or any other players, to stick around very long.

Well, unless SWG-2 comes out , i'll still be here. :cool:

I know, you can never ever please everybody, but BW has a tendency to tick off too many players. The trick is to get the number of people you tick off to be a smaller rather than a larger group.

The smaller group is the one who uses the forums. The larger group are the ones too busy playing the game to use the forums <3

The smaller group is the one who uses the forums. The larger group are the ones too busy playing the game to use the forums <3

There's also a big difference between being vocal and being the majority. Between the people playing the game and the people actively going to the forums, which would be the entire forum userbase, the second one is already miniscule in comparison. I'd be surprised if even ten percent of people playing the game went to the forums frequently. And those that do are usually the most fixated on the game, so will react the strongest to change.

Secondly, I could point out that there's a large amount of repetition in the names that frequently pop in the "this will be the end! IT IS NIGH!" posts and that there's quite a strong overlap of users between them, which in return reduces the percentage of people dead set against this change even more and makes it seem more widespread than it is.

Let's not poke that beast though. People don't like logic on the internet. Grab a pitchfork!

Edited by Alssaran