Storyline and Open-World Content Difficulty or lack of...

cheeseforme

...is boring if i'm being honest and bold. Sometimes the ease of content makes me want to just not do the story because everything is 1 hit kill.The main story isn't even that long, so i find it strange that they would reduce the difficulty THIS MUCH. At least make the boss fights semi-difficult to battle. Nothing less anti-climatic then when i'm anticipating fighting a boss/jedi master and then when i finally reach him, i 2 hit the boss. The difficulty level should be set that to the battle vs the makeb hutt boss. That felt somewhat technical and difficult but not so difficult that you need 500apm to kill him. It was honestly the funnest fight i had and couldn't help but to think " this is what the boss battles should feel like ". The kill truly felt rewarding and reaching him at the end of countless quests made it worth it. I had such a feeling of satisfaction and ecstacy, it gave me the same feeling i had when fighting bosses from KOTOR1 and KOTOR2.

Another thing I hate about doing storyline is the fact that 99% of the time you get gear that is irrelevant to your gear level. Why are these things not being updated. I'm sincerely curious. It's the little things like those that really make a big difference for me.

I know flashpoints exist and heroics but sometimes i just want to do storyline with the same difficulty or something a tad bit lower than flashpoints. I have my difficulty set to veteran and that is literally no different than story. Surprised more people aren't bothered by these small details.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I do miss from pre 4.0 was that there were times when bosses could've been hard, now a days I can just melt through everything. I do largely appreciate level synch due to making it so that I could quest with lower level friends and not handicap their experience by rendering them unable to earn XP, and the fact that earning XP post 4.0 is so much faster meaning I don't have to do every single quest on the planet but damn if I don't miss the pre 4.0 bossfights where you had to learn to use defensives and even interrupts on some occasions in order to do better at them. I think its also dentrimental since it isn't until KOTFE/KOTET where you have some difficult with the different options to play them on veteran, meaning you can go through a lot of the game without really learning the ropes putting you at a disadvantage.

I know flashpoints exist and heroics but sometimes i just want to do storyline with the same difficulty or something a tad bit lower than flashpoints. I have my difficulty set to veteran and that is literally no different than story. Surprised more people aren't bothered by these small details.

One thing I should add though that option is only for the KOTFE/KOTET expansions, so choosing veteran or master will have you starting the chapters at those difficulties. They do not work with the rest of the game sadly.

One thing I do miss from pre 4.0 was that there were times when bosses could've been hard, now a days I can just melt through everything. I do largely appreciate level synch due to making it so that I could quest with lower level friends and not handicap their experience by rendering them unable to earn XP, and the fact that earning XP post 4.0 is so much faster meaning I don't have to do every single quest on the planet but damn if I don't miss the pre 4.0 bossfights where you had to learn to use defensives and even interrupts on some occasions in order to do better at them. I think its also dentrimental since it isn't until KOTFE/KOTET where you have some difficult with the different options to play them on veteran, meaning you can go through a lot of the game without really learning the ropes putting you at a disadvantage.

Ive heard a few people talking about this, it saddens me to know I wasn't part of that time frame. Even the slightest of difficulty would make this game 10x's funner. We get all these abilities and a disrupt and CC but only need 2-3 skills to kill mobs. It's horribly boring. There are countless battles in KOTOR/KOTOR2 where you need to utilize your crowed control effectively between you and your companion to get through. I want to experience that again!

Ive heard a few people talking about this, it saddens me to know I wasn't part of that time frame. Even the slightest of difficulty would make this game 10x's funner. We get all these abilities and a disrupt and CC but only need 2-3 skills to kill mobs. It's horribly boring. There are countless battles in KOTOR/KOTOR2 where you need to utilize your crowed control effectively between you and your companion to get through. I want to experience that again!

I would like that as well, the best suggestion I ever heard was them implementing instances where the enemies are harder but such a thing wouldn't be an easy task to do. It would require a lot of work to get put into the coding as well as the balancing of said enemies, so sadly I'm not holding my breath on that but I would be glad to be proven wrong.

There are countless battles in KOTOR/KOTOR2 where you need to utilize your crowed control effectively between you and your companion to get through. I want to experience that again!

Even the slightest of difficulty would make this game 10x's funner. (more fun )

Go run KOTFE & KOTET on *master* mode....SOLO.

Then, go run master mode 'Uprisings' ... 2-man'd.

After you get done with that, go run 'nightmare' Ops 8m & 16m. (including 'Dxun' ) .

Once all that is completed 100% done , come back and make another OP.

Have fun! :D

Edited by Nee-Elder

Go run KOTFE & KOTET on *master* mode....SOLO.

Then, go run master mode 'Uprisings' ... 2-man'd.

After you get done with that, go run 'nightmare' Ops 8m & 16m. (including 'Dxun' ) .

Once all that is completed 100% done , come back and make another OP.

Have fun! :D

I did say im aware some of the content is harder than the main storyline. Im talking about the main story which is quite nice, having more than just a story but also technical, challenging aspect to it. The fact that everything dies in 1 abilitity while completly ignoring your entire kit is a extremly boring. Im not saying ramp it up to flashpoint difficulty, somewhere between flashpoint difficulty and heroic or a tad bit lower than heroic would make the experience that much more exciting. Why would anyone want to 1-2 shot a mob when you have an entire set of skills is beyond me. I like the story but not gonna lie, it isnt enough for me to run the entire storyline cause of how brainless killing quest mobs and bosses are. For this reason i only do up to when i get my ship and then jump into flashpoints and heroicals. Part of me wants to really do the storyline but then i remember how brainless the questing can get. At least in other mmos its SOMEWHAT difficult, Its enough to learn your kit and rotate through your skills. Idk how anyone can argue against my point unless yur like handicapped or something and i dont mean that as an insult i mean literally handicapped. Most of us arent which makes me ask why its set this waya.

TL:DR How is this fun for people is my entire point. Storyline is a blast up to a point but just that little detail really discourages me from continuing the story.

No please... I am one of the people that is just here for the story, not the combat. I ran through Spirit of Vengence as part of the latest story and it was painful. Bugs aside, it was keeping me from the next story beat which is all I actually wanted out of it. I don't mind adding difficulty for those that like it, but I don't want combat to be increased for story mode and have it slow me down more from getting to the part I actually like. Especially since it's not like my Jedi gets to use the diplomatic option all that much.

I'm here for the story content, I'd rather not be stuck banging my head against the wall because it's too hard. If I want hard content I'll go run hard flashpoints, uprisings, or go do KOTFE/ET in Veteran or Master mode. Story stuff needs to be available for everyone, make that harder and you make it difficult for people who may have disabilities or other things that stop them from doing/enjoying 'harder' stuff and blocking off what they may enjoy or prefer. You can make it hard for yourself without messing up other players. Put your companion on passive, dismiss them, wear less/no gear, etc. I don't find anything fun about killing trash mobs, they just stand between me and the next story beat and if it takes me two hits rather than five to kill them, so be it. Generally you're less likely to use your entire rotation outside of higher level content, and I'd rather not have everything at Heroics tier difficulty when I'm just trying to do class story.

Just look at Spirit of Vengeance and how many people complained about the difficulty spike in the story mode of that. Story content shouldn't require the best gear just to get through it.

Edited by Farferello

I'm here for the story content, I'd rather not be stuck banging my head against the wall because it's too hard. If I want hard content I'll go run hard flashpoints, uprisings, or go do KOTFE/ET in Veteran or Master mode. Story stuff needs to be available for everyone, make that harder and you make it difficult for people who may have disabilities or other things that stop them from doing/enjoying 'harder' stuff and blocking off what they may enjoy or prefer. You can make it hard for yourself without messing up other players. Put your companion on passive, dismiss them, wear less/no gear, etc.

Just look at Spirit of Vengeance and how many people complained about the difficulty spike in the story mode of that. Story content shouldn't require the best gear just to get through it.

It's equalized.

I How is this fun for people is my entire point. .

Because not everyone is "you" and frankly BioWare doesn't cater the bulk of the game to players like "you" .

In other news, SWTOR is nearly 10 years old, so certain types of players simply need to find challenges where they can.

PVP anyone? :cool:

Edited by Nee-Elder

No please... I am one of the people that is just here for the story, not the combat. I ran through Spirit of Vengence as part of the latest story and it was painful. Bugs aside, it was keeping me from the next story beat which is all I actually wanted out of it. I don't mind adding difficulty for those that like it, but I don't want combat to be increased for story mode and have it slow me down more from getting to the part I actually like. Especially since it's not like my Jedi gets to use the diplomatic option all that much.

It's not suppose to be a movie, it's an mmorpg, a video game. You get on it for the challenge mixed with the fun. How is it entertaining for you to passively run through a game with literally no effort? The point of most MMORPG is to kill things and gain experience, rewards for it and face the challenges introduced

This mentality is so bizarre and foreign to me and quite frankly, shamefully lazy.:(

Because not everyone is "you" and frankly BioWare doesn't cater the game to players like "you" .

In other news, SWTOR is nearly 10 years old, so certain types of players simply need to find challenges where they can.

PVP anyone? :cool:

No they aren't me but most people are like me who appreciate challenges. This game caters to lazy people unfortunately.

It's not suppose to be a movie, it's an mmorpg, a video game. You get on it for the challenge mixed with the fun. How is it entertaining for you to passively run through a game with literally no effort? The point of most MMORPG is to kill things and gain experience, rewards for it and face the challenges introduced

This mentality is so bizarre and foreign to me and quite frankly, shamefully lazy.:(

Gameplay is a varied concept. I won't bore you an explanation you won't bother to read.

Nonetheless, trying to make people feel bad about themselves for having different interests just tells me you need to do some work leveling up in real life to learn to better deal with your own insecurities. Regardless, if you have no shame outing yourself like that, I have no reason to have shame about playing the Sims in Space! and Choose Your Own Star Wars Adventure.

Before this goes much farther, though, it's worth noting that past forum discussions on this topic have already established that SWTOR is a themepark MMO and that trying to use its combat as a measuring stick doesn't carry much weight.

Yes, difficulty isn't a relveant portion of gameplay through most of SWTOR. This video game in any way challenging you at any point isn't part of core gameplay for huge majority of players.

It creates plenty of issues. When it comes to casual solo gameplay, finding content that challenges you is a task much more difficult than 98% of the soloable content is. You have no opportunity to learn your class during class stories in TOR for example. You need to go all the way to master mode kotfe chapters til you have an opportunity to try out full rotations and stuff. You need to clear like tens if not hundreds of hours of story til game gives you an access to any sort of challenges at all. Even then, increased difficulty is an opttion you can choose, not an obstacle you must overcome.

If all games worked like this, I think mankind would have gotten bored of games long before we figure out microchips, electricity and stuff.

Majority of people don't know how to play their class effectively by the time they are done with all the story content available. How could they - Game neither teaches, requires bor encourages it. Having to start figuring it out at max level with dozens of abilities is a bit overwhelming. Like..remember that epic battle on Sith Warrior towards the end of c.1 where you absolutely need to use and understand Sabre Ward or you gonna have a real bad time? Yeah neither do I. It isn't there. Game pretty much plays itself for you til KOTFE. Then, you can choooose to increase difficulty if you like. Doing so gives you nothing special or extra ofc.

Edited by Stradlin

Gameplay is a varied concept. I won't bore you an explanation you won't bother to read.

Nonetheless, trying to make people feel bad about themselves for having different interests just tells me you need to do some work leveling up in real life to learn to better deal with your own insecurities. Regardless, if you have no shame outing yourself like that, I have no reason to have shame about playing the Sims in Space! and Choose Your Own Star Wars Adventure.

Before this goes much farther, though, it's worth noting that past forum discussions on this topic have already established that SWTOR is a themepark MMO and that trying to use its combat as a measuring stick doesn't carry much weight.

Think you missed the part where i said its an MMORPG. It's literally a story based on war between 2 factions... This is not Sims City and SWTOR and sims hardly even be used in the same sentence when comparing one another. You don't even know me, how does my opinion about the lack-of difficulty from in-game represent my securities/insecurities, Dr? I love how people try to play the role of a psychiatrist online in an attempt to insult people.

Talk about being a hypocrite.

Yes, difficulty isn't a relveant portion of gameplay through most of SWTOR. This video game in any way challenging you at any point isn't part of core gameplay for huge majority of players.

It creates plenty of issues. When it comes to casual solo gameplay, finding content that challenges you is a task much more difficult than 98% of the soloable content is. You have no opportunity to learn your class during class stories in TOR for example. You need to go all the way to master mode kotfe chapters til you have an opportunity to try out full rotations and stuff. You need to clear like tens if not hundreds of hours of story til game gives you an access to any sort of callenges at all. Even then, increased difficulty is an opttion you can choose, not an obstacle you must overcome.

Majority of people don't know how to play their class effectively by the time they are done with all the story content available. How could they - Game neither teaches, requires or encourages it. Having to start figuring it out at max level with dozens of abilities is a bit overwhelming.

Indeed. It's probably more of a hindrance than anything. I'l just need to stick to flashpoints and content that doesn't include main storyline. I guess theres no other option. :(

Feels like im back in the 3rd grade. :rolleyes:

Having an unpopular opinnion about video game mechanics is something that can make this place turn surprisingly ugly surprisingly fast. Couple of these champions are running wild with rl insults cause they don't like the notion of you wishing bit more challenge to your videogame. Pretty cool right?

Indeed. It's probably more of a hindrance than anything. I'l just need to stick to flashpoints and content that doesn't include main storyline. I guess theres no other option. :(

Balancing the difficulty for group content must be incredibly dififcult. So many variables and moving parts. Doing that for solo stuff is easier. Yet, this isn't even attempted through most of story content. It is a shame. Plain silly how every fight, no matter if it is end boss of c.3 or some random group of ruffians on NS is essentially one and the same *splat* requiring same amount of finesse and effort. Mightiest of Sith lords fall to your companion while you can go afk if you like, basically.

Hard solo content would give a better opportunity for some effort->reward mechanic for dialogue and cutscenes to kick in. Story progressing would become bit more llike a reward for overcoming a challenge and doing well. This is..basic video games 101 -stuff really. It'd elevate the story.

I'm not even asking for some Dark Soulds x2000 experience here. Just..having some of it hard enough to require people pay attention would have been swell, lol.

Edited by Stradlin

Having an unpopular opinnion about video game mechanics is something that can make this place turn surprisingly ugly surprisingly fast. Couple of these champions are running wild with rl insults cause they don't like the notion of you wishing bit more challenge to your videogame. Pretty cool right?

Balancing the difficulty for group content must be incredibly dififcult. So many variables and moving parts. Doing that for solo stuff is easier. Yet, this isn't even attempted through most of story content. It is a shame. Plain silly how every fight, no matter if it is end boss of c.3 or some random group of ruffians on NS is essentially one and the same *splat* requiring same amount of finesse and effort.

Hard solo content would kick some sort of effort->reward mechanic for dialogue and cutscenes. It'd elevate the story.

I'm not even asking for some Dark Soulds x2000 experience here. Just..haveing some of it hard enough to require people pay attention would have been swell, lol.

This is literally all I wish for. Nothing crazy or game changing that would require 100+APM to get through. Just enough so that you are actually utilizing your kit.

To be fair I am a little salty at the responses and it is sort of making me passive aggressive and for that i apologize to those people except the guy posting directly above me lol. He just sounds like a stupid + arrogant person.

Think you missed the part where i said its an MMORPG. It's literally a story based on war between 2 factions... This is not Sims City and SWTOR and sims hardly even be used in the same sentence when comparing one another. You don't even know me, how does my opinion about the lack-of difficulty from in-game represent my securities/insecurities, Dr? I love how people try to play the role of a psychiatrist online in an attempt to insult people.

Talk about being a hypocrite.

No, you missed the part about the genre growing and including more. MMOs in particular are usually inclusive of many types of gameplay. MMORPG stands for massively multiplayer online role playing game. None of that changes because of a person focusing on story, puzzles, stronghold decorations, outfit design, mini games, etc.

As for how I know you're insecure... You are attempting to use a virtual system to establish real-world worth. That wouldn't be necessary if you esteemed other stuff in your real life more than the accomplishments you believe are being withheld from you by the game not being harder. Accomplishments that will go poof with the game when it one day shuts down.

It's not complaining over the difficulty that exposes your insecurities, it's the fact that you are attacking others for not regarding your favorite aspect of the game in the exact same way. Despite that I haven't said there's anything wrong with combat, I just don't want stories mode to be harder, you're behaving as if you resent anyone who doesn't support your stance that we need to like harder combat in order to stave off shame.

I don't feel any shame in connection with this. I don't have to. It's just a game. But you seem to have some great need to protect it. THAT is how I know you are insecure. You can't just like combat and accept that others have no need for it. You keep trying to tie self worth to it, either your own or that of others.

This is literally all I wish for. Nothing crazy or game changing that would require 100+APM to get through. Just enough so that you are actually utilizing your kit.

To be fair I am a little salty at the responses and it is sort of making me passive aggressive and for that i apologize to those people except the guy posting directly above me lol. He just sounds like a stupid + arrogant person.

I don't blame you for feeling like you aren't having fun. Not having the aspect of the game do what you need it to do will leave you like that but taking it out on other people on the forum definitely won't help.

Now for a suggestion that might be doable, perhaps they could rework the system that splits off PVE from PVP and use a new shard or whatever those are to create a harder version of the game for those that want it. I don't know if they can make that work without rebalancing but it's possible something like that could work.

Edited by Xo-Lara

No, you missed the part about the genre growing and including more. MMOs in particular are usually inclusive of many types of gameplay. MMORPG stands for massively multiplayer online role playing game. None of that changes because of a person focusing on story, puzzles, stronghold decorations, outfit design, mini games, etc.

As for how I know you're insecure... You are attempting to use a virtual system to establish real-world worth. That wouldn't be necessary if you esteemed other stuff in your real life more than the accomplishments you believe are being withheld from you by the game not being harder. Accomplishments that will go poof with the game when it one day shuts down.

It's not complaining over the difficulty that exposes your insecurities, it's the fact that you are attacking others for not regarding your favorite aspect of the game in the exact same way. Despite that I haven't said there's anything wrong with combat, I just don't want stories mode to be harder, you're behaving as if you resent anyone who doesn't support your stance that we need to like harder combat in order to stave off shame.

I don't feel any shame in connection with this. I don't have to. It's just a game. But you seem to have some great need to protect it. THAT is how I know you are insecure. You can't just like combat and accept that others have no need for it. You keep trying to tie self worth to it, either your own or that of others.

That is the most flawed logic ive heard in a long time. So in short you are claiming that people who seek challenges in a pixel world may it be chess or SWTOR or a simple game of solitaire are in other words by your professional and elite opinion, insecure? Mkay doc. Where did you get your PHD at? The University of the Special? :rolleyes:

Please stop role playing for the sake of people who actually dedicate their lives to this profesion lmao. Your analyzes of me is far from accurate so even if you did have a PHD in this profession i'd say you are terrible at your job and would never recommend you to anyone, not even someone on a very low budget.

And if we're being honest here, i don't know anyone who doesn't have insecurities, lets not pretend you're perfect cut out diamond. I'm definitely dont care enough to try and compensate for these so called insecurities by keyboard smashing my confidence to 100% lmao!:p:p:p That is absurd. That would fit your profile more than it would be mine though. You want to feel accomplished by 1-button-smashing mobs to make up for your lack of accomplishments in real life. Bahaha!!

The point of the story is for it to be accessible for everyone, including those who aren't the best players or those who have disabilities. This is how it should be for all games. SWTOR is an older game, it was never designed originally for the base worlds to have different difficulty levels, so the compromise is for other content (flashpoints etc) to have those levels for people who want to be challenged while the story is easy for all to experience.

Hopefully in the future more MMOs will be developed in ways that can cater to all from the get go, so that those who always want to be challenged can be and those who are physically challenged have a way to also enjoy the content. For older games like this one, we need to have a level of compassion and enjoy the challenging content that is available, while understanding why it can't all be.

So in short you are claiming that people who seek challenges in a pixel world may it be chess or SWTOR or a simple game of solitaire are in other words by your professional and elite opinion, insecure?

Given that you didn't read what I wrote. I'll assume it struck a nerve. You can't point out the flaws of logic you didn't read. But here's the tl'dr version for you.

It's not complaining over the difficulty that exposes your insecurities, it's the fact that you are attacking others for not regarding your favorite aspect of the game in the exact same way.

The point of the story is for it to be accessible for everyone, including those who aren't the best players or those who have disabilities. This is how it should be for all games. SWTOR is an older game, it was never designed originally for the base worlds to have different difficulty levels, so the compromise is for other content (flashpoints etc) to have those levels for people who want to be challenged while the story is easy for all to experience.

Hopefully in the future more MMOs will be developed in ways that can cater to all from the get go, so that those who always want to be challenged can be and those who are physically challenged have a way to also enjoy the content. For older games like this one, we need to have a level of compassion and enjoy the challenging content that is available, while understanding why it can't all be.

This is how it should be for all games? Oh dear god have mercy :D:D:D:D:D

I never thought i'd actually see or hear anyone say those words hahaha! Incredible! I love it!