Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

I can't vouch for even the slightest validity, but some allegedly anonymous ex Bioware employee tweeted that they're changing the ESRB to Everyone and no SGR. Might be a good time to really push Bioware to make an updated official statement. Obviously it's an odd claim considering I don't think they'd actually go back and *edit* existing material.

I don't see how they could change the rating to Everyone considering some of the content in the game already.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean the torture, genocide, racism, sexism, casual disregard for sentient life, slavery etc.? If those things can qualify this game for an "E" rating and yet being in love with someone is "M" then there's no hope left for this world. Might as well nuke it and start over with the people who aren't arse-backwards.

You mean the torture, genocide, racism, sexism, casual disregard for sentient life, slavery etc.? If those things can qualify this game for an "E" rating and yet being in love with someone is "M" then there's no hope left for this world. Might as well nuke it and start over with the people who aren't arse-backwards.

I think you forgot the implied ****, but yeah.

Edit: apparently that word that means 'forcing someone to have sex with you' is blocked.

Edited by stuffystuffs

I don't see how they could change the rating to Everyone considering some of the content in the game already.

Yeah, that's what I thought as well, but now I am certainly curious how, if at all, the new model is going to affect the future content of the game. I know they want to open the game up to as many people as possible, but I had always hoped they'd push the stories a little further rather than "play it safe". I take everything with a grain of salt, but over time I've learned to not dismiss even the silliest rumors entirely.

Yeah, that's what I thought as well, but now I am certainly curious how, if at all, the new model is going to affect the future content of the game. I know they want to open the game up to as many people as possible, but I had always hoped they'd push the stories a little further rather than "play it safe". I take everything with a grain of salt, but over time I've learned to not dismiss even the silliest rumors entirely.

Do you have a link to this tweet by any chance?

It's fairly obvious that if they haven't been working on this by now then it's never gonna happen.

They'll be trimming the budget on all fronts and I guarantee VO work will be greatly reduced. I expect a lot of future quest givers will be speaking Huttese and there's no way they gonna pay for a couple dozen hours of VO for something only a portion of the playerbase will see.

It's fairly obvious that if they haven't been working on this by now then it's never gonna happen.

They'll be trimming the budget on all fronts and I guarantee VO work will be greatly reduced. I expect a lot of future quest givers will be speaking Huttese and there's no way they gonna pay for a couple dozen hours of VO for something only a portion of the playerbase will see.

We don't know that they have or haven't been working on this. All we know is at the guild summit they said SGRAs were coming this year and that, at least at that point, some work had been done on them.

I think you forgot the implied ****, but yeah.

Edit: apparently that word that means 'forcing someone to have sex with you' is blocked.

I can't remember having come across that and I'm fairly glad I've not o.O

Also yes, words like that tend to be blocked. I found out that n*pple is also blocked, which screwed up a scene in one of my stories. Now that I remember, I'll have to go edit that.

About F2P :

My only experience with a game going from montly suscription only to F2P with sub for complete acess is COH. In their case I was very worried when they annouced it . In the end since F2P was introduce there has been a lot more of content added then before .

So I am trying to be positive about this.

Do you have a link to this tweet by any chance?

Since it's possible it's a total hoax, I'd rather not. In fact I now regret even bringing it up. There's enough flames being fanned around here as it is. But I guess I wouldn't be surprised if they did decide to bury this discussion, and I'm starting to not get my hopes up. :/

About F2P :

My only experience with a game going from montly suscription only to F2P with sub for complete acess is COH. In their case I was very worried when they annouced it . In the end since F2P was introduce there has been a lot more of content added then before .

So I am trying to be positive about this.

CoH, CO, DDO, LotRO, ArchLord, yeah played them all. All ended up F2P, and all have varying degrees of P2W and exclusive content. Some are worse than others, but pretty much all gate access to some parts of the game. And that's the big worry. Will they classify SGRA as "content" and put it behind a gate? Or will they not put it in at all citing reduced profits as to why they won't include it?

Seeing as its EA, I believe those concerns are justified.

^This.

Like quite a bit of the Warrior, Smuggler, Agent, and even the Knight storylines, tbh. ANYWHERE they put sexually suggestive dialogue/situations, it's going to be T rated at the very least.

I, on the other hand, have no trouble dismissing utterly silly and/or illogical rumors. :D Thank you for presenting this as just some unidentifiable random saying something on Twitter, though. Anyone can make a Twitter account and claim to be anything they want, so I'd dismiss the claim entirely. Especially because, as others pointed out, there's a ton of content that would have to be removed or toned down to give the game an "E" rating. Doing that costs money, and they run the risk of losing players if those players view the game as being made kid-friendly. So I doubt there's any truth to the claim.

Saying "if it's not in by now it's never going to happen" is utterly illogical in an MMO. The game is made to be changed frequently. New features can be added at any time. Also, BioWare works on their own deadlines, not yours. Anything we players say about when things will, won't, or should be in is meaningless.

The rest of what you've said is nothing but speculation without anything to back it up. Doomsaying really doesn't belong in this thread. As for whether they'd work on something only a portion of the playerbase would see, every single thing in the game is something only a portion of the playerbase sees. To see everything, you'd have to play every single class and do every single mission, play through every single flashpoint and operation, do every single space mission, and PvP in every single battleground. How many players do you think actually do that? No, saying something won't go in because only a portion of the playerbase sees it makes no sense.

Instead of paying just for gay content, the same sex romances could be part of a general companion pack.

It would amount to the same thing, though - it would mean heterosexual romances were free, while homosexual romances were a paid-for addition, regardless of whatever else came with that addition. Still gets a giant NO NO NO from me.

The thought of paying for any romantic interludes is kind of funny, though...you're in the middle of a conversation, you get a flirt option, then suddenly a little window pops up: "Would you like to continue this conversation? 5 Cartel Coins to continue flirting with this character!"

Now if I could get more than a fade to black cut scene.... :rolleyes:

The thought of paying for any romantic interludes is kind of funny, though...you're in the middle of a conversation, you get a flirt option, then suddenly a little window pops up: "Would you like to continue this conversation? 5 Cartel Coins to continue flirting with this character!"

Now if I could get more than a fade to black cut scene.... :rolleyes:

Okay, in practice, that would be awful, but in theory, that's hilarious. :D Especially if they got the characters themselves in on the action. I can just see Kaliyo now...

"You smell like sweat and plasma burns. I like it. Ten cartel coins and I'll show you how much I like it. Deal?"

Another game I play did an April Fool's joke about adding paid-for content. When confronted with two girls telling you to choose between them, saying you couldn't decide was free, picking either one of them had a different charge, and asking if they could share you had the highest charge. I laughed so hard at that. :D

Edited by MusedMoose

Sexuality influences a person in ways that most of us just don't think about or even realize. This is not a bad thing at all, it's simply a part of being human. "PCsexual" characters are unrealistic because their sexuality, which doesn't actually exist except in reflection of the PC, has no influence on them whatsoever at any point in their lives, except in their relationship with the PC. (Keep in mind I am talking about the PCsexual character, not the truly bisexual character.)

There are lot of things that defines a person's identity, a lot of diffrent things that shapes the way people interact and react with others. For example, your early childhood, where and how was growing up, that kinda stuff has a big impact in a person's life. And usually none of that is covered, at all, in a companion's characterization. How come the lack of that doesn't make them "unrealistic" too ? At least, I don't see anyone pointing them out as a flaw.

I'll try the example thing -

Straight Kira meets a young bisexual woman early in her life, she and the woman become friends. The woman has a crush on Kira, Kira is flattered or not, but rejects her advances either way. Later on she meets bisexual/lesbian JK, gets all shy or defensive or whatever depending on the nature of the former relationship, eventually gets over that and is able to gently tease the JK about it.

Well, this is what headcanon is for, actually. Most of the companion's interactions with the PC don't have a in-game explanation. This kind detailed stuff may work for you, but for others, might feel way too contrived or even off. A gently tease dialog/scene could be there as part of the small story between the Kira and the JK. How it gets to happen, why Kira gets to be comfortable enough to do it, up to the player to come up with. You fill the blanks the best it suits your own game.

Many things are unknown. Is it explained why would Kira follow and may fall in love with a mega-uber-douche ? Don't you think that should be properly covered as part of her personality ? Why Vette gets to marry a sadistical mass murderer ? I once read on these forums "Stockholm syndrome". Ok, cool, if that works for you, awesome. But if that kind of stuff is put in-game, as part of characterization to make them interact with a certain PC, that would be bad.

I personally have no issues with either 'PCSexual" characters or ones that have more defined sexualities in game (Kaliyo)...I can't agree with the blanket statement that "PCSexual" is just bad writing no matter what.

Pretty much this.

Though given the amount of different PCs and companions, I would prefer all LIs to be available for both genders. That would give more choices for everybody. Sadly, I don't think it's going to happen.

Though given the amount of different PCs and companions, I would prefer all LIs to be available for both genders. That would give more choices for everybody. Sadly, I don't think it's going to happen.

Well, they've said outright it's not going to happen thusly.

Well, they've said outright it's not going to happen thusly.

If I'm understanding you right, that's not really true. BioWare has said nothing about who will be available for SGRs, so it's entirely possible all the current love interests will be SGR-capable. Just about the only thing they've said outright is that SGRs are coming.

If I'm not understanding you right, I apologize and blame sleep dep. :o

If I'm understanding you right, that's not really true. BioWare has said nothing about who will be available for SGRs, so it's entirely possible all the current love interests will be SGR-capable. Just about the only thing they've said outright is that SGRs are coming.

If I'm not understanding you right, I apologize and blame sleep dep. :o

No, I mean all LI companions being open to all genders. They've said they won't do it. That's what all the 'that's not writing, that's not good storytelling' stuff was about at the Summit. They know which companions will be SGRA-capable and they're not saying which but they're NOT going to make all of them available to everyone. I mean, throw whatever interpretations on those words you like, as far as I understood it there's not going to be 'hero-sexual' companions. That was one of the only aspects of the whole SGRA issue that they answered directly in absolutes, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Kioma

Okay, some of you have made some really good points, so I'm going to stop now while I reformulate my opinion on what constitutes good writing in a computer game romance.

However, the one position I'll never move away from is that using exactly the same writing for both genders is bad (or more accurately, lazy) writing. You will never convince me of that, I'm sorry.

Edited by Zandilar