7.0 and GSF

DrKrwemill

Thelsi from Darth Malgus here o7

With the upcoming 7.0 extension, are there any plans for GSF as well? Devs managed to interest many new players thanks to Conquest/GS to join in the GSF but I kinda think we can have something new in our module too ^^ *looking back at interesting PvE environment ideas down these forums*

:)

Thelsi from Darth Malgus here o7

With the upcoming 7.0 extension, are there any plans for GSF as well? Devs managed to interest many new players thanks to Conquest/GS to join in the GSF but I kinda think we can have something new in our module too ^^ *looking back at interesting PvE environment ideas down these forums*

:)

I'd love to see some PvE environments, a place novices can train, without being targeted by experience players. Where they have time to learn the controls properly. The tutorial isn't great, and although people have put up videos, some people learn better from doing it, then just watching. Personally I find the videos boring (not just GSF, but most videos), and I know others here prefer to play to learn. So big +1 to a pve environment :)

I would also like to see some brackets added in, so match making could be fairer, and maybe solo/grouped content to even things out.

There are other ideas, but there in other threads :)

I'd love to see some PvE environments, a place novices can train, without being targeted by experience players. Where they have time to learn the controls properly. The tutorial isn't great, and although people have put up videos, some people learn better from doing it, then just watching. Personally I find the videos boring (not just GSF, but most videos), and I know others here prefer to play to learn. So big +1 to a pve environment :)

I would also like to see some brackets added in, so match making could be fairer, and maybe solo/grouped content to even things out.

If only there was a way to start custom games where you could practice with friends as often as you want.

(click the link; that's a thing you can do now)

Edited by DakhathKilrathi

that is cool, I've seen the pvp issue thing, but never paid it much attention, thought it was like a duel option. But this is good.

The only draw back is you need a min of 4 people (if I read this right "Note that both the sender and the receiver must be in groups.") Which is grand for big guilds, and people with lots of friends that play, but it doesn't help those that don't :(

Maybe a 1 v 1 option would be good, or even 2 v NPC's, so an experience person can show a new player the ropes.

With the upcoming 7.0 extension, are there any plans for GSF as well?

Nope. At least, none that BioWare has stated publicly.

And so, as i lamented in another thread, here we go again another year (the *10th Anniversary* year no less) without ANY yellow-name posts here in GSF forums. And zero mention of new GSF content , with barely a blip of acknowledgement in any patch-notes, much less earnest attention in further development. :(

---

Right but i want to also be able to practice by myself , in any map , without having to rely upon other players' online schedules and without having to worry about a match timer counting down.

But yeah i guess it's better than nothing. :cool:

And tbqh, i sorta forgot about that feature still existing, so thanks for the reminder. :sy_starship:

Edited by Nee-Elder

Hi Thelsi. Copying and pasting my answer from another thread, where all this was recently discussed. In short, I think we can effect some changes, we've done it twice already.

We have established guys that we can get the devs to change things in GSF. Two very recent examples would be the CQ rewards for GSF, and nerfing of Remote Slicing. Both of which happened due to campaigns / petitions by people on this forum. I am happy to start a petition to have some of these aspects changed, but we need to be very specific and relatively simple with what we ask for. If we ask for a multitude of complex things, it lessons the chances that we get anything. Also the more people put their name to the petition, the more chance it works.

For now I am thinking: (based on input so far)

More GSF related Decos (let the devs iron out the particulars of this)

Fleet coms conversions (Fleet coms being able to buy cosmetics?)

Legacy unlock for Cartel ships.

Should I add a Zoom feature?

One thing I have always wanted to see is Co-pilot actor's voices not bound to certain abilities. So we can have the

audio companion of our choice with the ability of our choice.

Less likely but perhaps the most wanted

A new map.

This would be the biggest change to GSF since the big meta changing 5.5 patch, if we ask for all of this. So it really would need your collective support. For now, this discussion thread has enough input to get the ball rolling in a more official manner, I think.

Edited by Ttoilleekul

+++ for match making.... Even tho I think matches are somewhat more equal nowadays, you can still get matches with result 50:10 x)

Hi Thelsi. Copying and pasting my answer from another thread, where all this was recently discussed. In short, I think we can effect some changes, we've done it twice already.

I think the biggest improvement was CQ + GS requiring players to list for GSF. Some of those players did show interest in staying in GSF. I remember match not popping for half an hour months ago, now we can see 2-4 instances opened for GSF matches these days.

Those other improvements are small but still any addition in GSF are noticeable and heartly welcomed, tho PvE environment is still my dream... imagine objectives - oriented play mode (sth like Voidstar), like disable the enemy cruiser. But I guess in this moment its pure fantasy :o

I think the biggest improvement was CQ + GS requiring players to list for GSF. Some of those players did show interest in staying in GSF. I remember match not popping for half an hour months ago, now we can see 2-4 instances opened for GSF matches these days.

Those other improvements are small but still any addition in GSF are noticeable and heartly welcomed, tho PvE environment is still my dream... imagine objectives - oriented play mode (sth like Voidstar), like disable the enemy cruiser. But I guess in this moment its pure fantasy :o

GSF is a PVP game. PVE GSF wouldn't make much sense, beyond a better tutorial. However a 3rd mode where you attack and destroy each other's capital ships, I would be behind that 100%.

I think the obstacle to serious PvE in GSF is primarily the AI that would be needed for decent enemy pilots.

However, for simple things, that re-use existing and adapted ground game mechanics, there's potentially room for creativity.

For example capital ships with destructible turrets, sensors, shields, tractor beams, hangars, etc. Possibly also space stations or asteroid bases with destructible bits. Basically fancier equivalents to WZ objectives.

You could make sensors/comms structurs act like a sensor beacon in terms of buffs, make tractor beams act as a modified interdiction drone, hangars act as a modified hyperspace beacon, shield projectors buffing shields on the other components or possibly being an immunity unlock (can't damage others till shields are down).

GSF is basically a creative abuse of an MMORPG engine that was never meant to support that sort of gameplay. Building out something like Squadrons in GSF is a no-go, but creative abuse/reuse of existing mechanics to create something new is very much what GSF is about from a development standpoint.

I'm not sure they have time and energy to do this sort of thing, but within the realm of recycled mechanics, there are cool things you could do. For instance, have an objective that's basically a box you want to turn on. Say it needs energy. Shoot the box with primary weapons until it "charges up". Or make it a hollow framework that "eats" your shields if you fly through. After eating enough points of shield power it turns on. Probably want a shield eating objective to be near some good LOS cover, but hey, maybe finally a reason to run Overcharged or Fortress shields?

There's room for gameplay beyond just "shoot the other ships" and "park near a sat". The game mechanics are like LEGO, they can be put together in a great number of different configurations, even if you don't add any new pieces to the set.

The trick is figuring out a match gameplay style that's engaging and relatively balanced, works with respawns, and about a 15 min timer. It's more effort than just cranking out another map, but it would be more rewarding for the GSF community too.

Though really my first priority at this point I think would be a rework that improves the matchmaking algorithm.

Wrong section for a thread like this.. Devs hardly ever come here. If somebody were to make this on general chat and it got busy and positive, through some miracle, then the thread might get seen at least.

Thanks to hard-fought CQ fix and GS, plenty of new people in GSF all of a sudden. Surprisingly many new people who seem to like it well. Notion of seeing some major content patch for GSF yet doesn't feel as unrealistic as it did like a year back! Disappointed no such thing seems to be anywhere near the forefront of the new expansion though.

Edited by Stradlin

I've hosted couple of GSF tutorial events for new pilots where the challenge mode is heavily utilized. Highly recommend other experienced pielots to look into doing this too. Doing these events is pretty straightforward; all you truly need is a voice chat, people and solid-ish base level understanding of GSF basics.

Based on my prevous experiences, I think optimal results happen if you end up with a compositon of 50% veteran pilots, 50% new pilots. Put veterans in one team, new pilots in another. Ask veterans to fly around more or less uselessly, while new pilots get to shoot at moving targets at peace. Prelude this by lectures where you tell the basics, give new pilots opportunity to ask questions. Veterans present in voice chat supplement your bla bla, mention things you've overlooked and all that. Veterans might spot mistakes/offer tips to newbs busy shooting at them. All in all its very useful I think! Once people get used to it and " find their voices", Lots of info travelling around in that setting.

Lots of ways to switch things around in dynamic fashion. Like you might start with vet level pilots literally just flying in straight lines. If and when they start dying quite quickly, ask for a small difficulty increase. Rince and repeat.

Surely a good tutorial video is the best way to soak in the hard knowledge.(Search for GSf school movement 101 in youtube!) What button does what etc. ...But the ability to try it all in practice without anyone putting extra holes in you all the time, ability to shoot at actual moving targets.. it can be a huge deal and goes to places no tutorial video can. Custom battle mode is heavily under utilized for this I think. Prolly applies for ground pvp too.

Edited by Stradlin

I've hosted a couple too, and whilst they haven't gone as I'd hoped, the people have still found them useful. I'm looking forward to seeing where 7.0 takes us - new maps would be nice but if those stealth ships actually make it in I'd be very happy!

GSF is a PVP game. PVE GSF wouldn't make much sense, beyond a better tutorial. However a 3rd mode where you attack and destroy each other's capital ships, I would be behind that 100%.

PvE gsf is the rail system starfighter we all played before gsf came out.

and, many played it alot lol

Yeah the rail thing is like, way below the level of GSF it isnt funny.

But its all we had before GSF

GSF dropped and most of us hadnt looked back

Wrong section for a thread like this.. Devs hardly ever come here. If somebody were to make this on general chat and it got busy and positive, through some miracle, then the thread might get seen at least.

Thanks to hard-fought CQ fix and GS, plenty of new people in GSF all of a sudden. Surprisingly many new people who seem to like it well. Notion of seeing some major content patch for GSF yet doesn't feel as unrealistic as it did like a year back! Disappointed no such thing seems to be anywhere near the forefront of the new expansion though.

The nice thing i run into every so often is a team of new people who take direction.

"Direction" meaning, keep ON the node. Hug it. Fight on the nodes. Keep even closer to the node. They cant take the node if you are on it.

Those types of things rather than "You guys s&ck" "After this match, you guys need to exit game and delete" etc, etc lol

It helps to be helpful. And I think some of those matches were pulled out because they listened to positive inputs.

I know sometimes it hard to not be negative, but when AI have been positive good things have happened.

It doesnt mean you still wont have the bad attitude new guy. But they arent as prevalent

With how the ground game is shaping up, I'm not sure anything will happen to GSF in 7.0.

GSF is not even messed with as much as the ground pvp.

The 5.5 update took a lot, and I mean a lot of pushing.

And they used on the test server many of the older veteran pilots to test out the changes and make recommendations.

They even had to sign non disclosure agreements, lol

I havnt heard of even a little tiny bit of this happening for 7.0

If anything happens for gsf its going to be minimal tweeks.

With how the ground game is shaping up, I'm not sure anything will happen to GSF in 7.0.

As i stated in my other post on page 1 , there has been NOTHING mentioned at all either here: https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=994694 nor here: https://www.swtor.com/legacyofthesith regarding GSF & 7.0

I personally think that instead of what's happening on PTS at the moment , BioWare could've taken a much wiser more thrilling direction toward finally linking GSF & ground-game into 1 epic space/ground PVE questline (new planet & space zone even) for *10th Anniversary* .

But hey what do i know? I'm just a simple pilot from SWG JTL craving flight-stick support. :cool:

Edited by Nee-Elder
please BioWare , find a way to get EA to pay a Dev to work on GSF content ....please

GSF is not even messed with as much as the ground pvp.

The 5.5 update took a lot, and I mean a lot of pushing.

And they used on the test server many of the older veteran pilots to test out the changes and make recommendations.

They even had to sign non disclosure agreements, lol

I havnt heard of even a little tiny bit of this happening for 7.0

If anything happens for gsf its going to be minimal tweeks.

I know, I was right there with Drak and Verain and Ramalina and many others.

If I'm being honest, I guess its possible that later in the cycle, when the stuff about combat styles is ironed out, and the UI for loadouts works, and they've hashed out the major bugs with the dailies and the ops and the fp, they might have time for other stuff ... but I'm not holding my breath.

The nice thing i run into every so often is a team of new people who take direction.

"Direction" meaning, keep ON the node. Hug it. Fight on the nodes. Keep even closer to the node. They cant take the node if you are on it.

Those types of things rather than "You guys s&ck" "After this match, you guys need to exit game and delete" etc, etc lol

It helps to be helpful. And I think some of those matches were pulled out because they listened to positive inputs.

I know sometimes it hard to not be negative, but when AI have been positive good things have happened.

It doesnt mean you still wont have the bad attitude new guy. But they arent as prevalent

what server are you on? I rarely see anyone give advice in game, it's usually just tensor a, etc, and no one talking, except the people giving out, and blaming others :rolleyes:

But if you are giving advice, please keep doing it, it's nice to see.

what server are you on? I rarely see anyone give advice in game, it's usually just tensor a, etc, and no one talking, except the people giving out, and blaming others :rolleyes:

But if you are giving advice, please keep doing it, it's nice to see.

Its been recently mostly SS and SF I fly on.

The advice thing doesnt always work, but I feel it had several times.

I think it helped the opposition was new too, and no one directing the action there.

You can usually tell its gonna be rough just by ship count on members of the teams.

If the other team is full of five shippers, and mine 3 and 4 shippers, i tend to dole out the advice as we go. And not really expecting a whole lot.

I mean new people tend to be figuring things out and not reading chat or looking at the map or radar, lol.

Thats is just a thing. Getting used to the environment.

Five shippers should have at least the basic knowledge of what to do in each map.

So, in that case i tend not to say anything.

Brand new players are 4 shippers now. A 3 shipper or 2 shipper has to have not updated their hangar since the patch that added Type 2 Gunship and Type 3 Bomber to everyone's hangars (everyone has at least 4 ships, people who preordered start with 5 ships).

The only reason not to have four or five ships on your bar, assuming you have logged in sometime since October 10 2017, is to lower the “gear” contribution to whatever internal formula decides your matchmaker rating in the hopes that you will be matched against weaker players.

(By gear contribution, I mean however the total of SPENT ship requisition on upgrades and component unlocks for every ship on your bar is converted into a number that, combined with games played across your legacy, results in your score that you determines how you are matched up.)

The only reason not to have four or five ships on your bar, assuming you have logged in sometime since October 10 2017, is to lower the “gear” contribution to whatever internal formula decides your matchmaker rating in the hopes that you will be matched against weaker players.

(By gear contribution, I mean however the total of SPENT ship requisition on upgrades and component unlocks for every ship on your bar is converted into a number that, combined with games played across your legacy, results in your score that you determines how you are matched up.)

The number of ships won't matter. They said a long time ago that they take the highest upgraded ship as the one they use for Matchmaker. So if you have 1 mastered, and 4 stock ships on your bar, they'll only care about that one mastered ship.

So having 1 mastered and 1 non mastered ship only will still be the same. It'll take the Mastered ship as the one the matchmaker uses for choosing teams.

Edited by Toraak

The number of ships won't matter. They said a long time ago that they take the highest upgraded ship as the one they use for Matchmaker. So if you have 1 mastered, and 4 stock ships on your bar, they'll only care about that one mastered ship.

So having 1 mastered and 1 non mastered ship only will still be the same. It'll take the Mastered ship as the one the matchmaker uses for choosing teams.

I was literally typing this up, thanks for getting too it first Toraak ^^