Compassion, Healing or Love for the Broken Dark Princess: Vaylin Appreciation <3

JakRoanin

Accept Marr say's he only knows what you know, not what the former head of the jedi order knows. You took him there just as you took Vaylin.

As for Thexan, maybe our character is just sentimental and we imagine the twins being reunited.

I don't know. Maybe Marr somehow gained access to our memories once we joined?

No idea on Thexan. Maybe Senya or Arcann dreamed him up? Or Vaylin? :rak_02:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
Wish we could have helped redeem Vaylin instead of killing her, and then recruit her into the Alliance as a companion

Maybe we'll have another chance, who knows?

I recommend playing "Echoes of Oblivion" - there is a very intriguing denouement.:rak_03::rak_03::rak_03:

#VaylinCompanion

Edited by Blackvinils

I'd just like to remind all you thirsty mfers that Vaylin was clearly shown to have been evil long before Valkorion did a single damn thing to her mind.

Then I would also like to remind you that before the Nahema, it was clearly shown that she was a completely normal carefree child, apart from her powerful connection with the Force. She was impulsive and inept - yes, but evil - no.

Don't stick ya D in crazy.

Is this supposed to stop someone?:D:D:D

#VaylinCompanion

Edited by Blackvinils

Okay I think we can all agree that Vaylin was always troubled with impulse issues. That in itself doesn't make a person evil. However, consider this possibility... I.E.T.V.V. (Immortal Emperor, Tenerbre, Vitiate, Valkorian,) could have been messing around with the Force to control his children from conception on... I'm convinced he was planning to use Vaylin as his next host. Who knows what he did to the three of them in order to make them "worthy."

• 2 years later...

Well, it's been years now and Vaylin/Syl still didn't come back, but I'm patiently waiting, a shame that the current story is very slow. I think it has a potential to be a very interesting and touching story arc, both for Vaylin who needs some sort of mother figure who isn't Senya, and Satele who has an estranged child of her own. They can try to work out their issues and learn from each other, perhaps leading to developments between Vaylin and Senya and Satele and Theron if they are alive.

Plus, Satele is someone both compassionate and strong-willed, she can offer Vaylin some support and guidance while being more than able to handle her tantrums. Of course, the fact that it's another resurrection drags it down, but I will take it because making Vaylin someone who you can't recruit or decide the fate of in a game where choices supposedly matter was a mistake, and at least they can fix it.

• Like 1

I would welcome anything after this boring and plain and quite frankly incoherent mess of a story after Echoes of Oblivion. I quite liked Vaylin TBH. But i suspect such things are beyond the skill-set of people who think the most powerful being in the galaxy is perfectly normal to prioritize cleaning cantinas, taking out the trash, fighting random droids and soldier, making decisions that have no point whatsoever...

I must be the minority. I space bar all her scenes. Too over the top for me, but I would have picked redemption for her. I redeemed arcann once and felt wrong doing it. Her background was so terrible. She deserved to have compassion showed to her after everything she went through.

The one scene where she asks if scorpio and her children will stay with her is so sad. You can hear the little girl in her voice. Unfortunately I try to play my characters as not being privy to any of that since my characters not there to hear and see that.

My characters do however see the chamber of horrors she grew up in. That makes them wish they could help her somehow. At least until the end when vaylin does the thing just before the last fight.

Ok rambling off. ❤️

Oh wow didn't even notice the date on this thread lol

Edited by voshara

3 hours ago, voshara said:

I must be the minority. I space bar all her scenes. Too over the top for me, but I would have picked redemption for her. I redeemed arcann once and felt wrong doing it. Her background was so terrible. She deserved to have compassion showed to her after everything she went through.

The one scene where she asks if scorpio and her children will stay with her is so sad. You can hear the little girl in her voice. Unfortunately I try to play my characters as not being privy to any of that since my characters not there to hear and see that.

My characters do however see the chamber of horrors she grew up in. That makes them wish they could help her somehow. At least until the end when vaylin does the thing just before the last fight.

Ok rambling off. ❤️

Oh wow didn't even notice the date on this thread lol

This exactly! Out of all the game's characters, none broke my heart as much as Vaylin did, it's depressing and very dark. 

As for other matters, I agree that she's too over the top on KOTET but in KOTFE she was one of the most entertaining parts for me, she was far more competent and intimidating than Arcann and herself in KOTET in my opinion and it made her fun to watch. Torian and Vette...I don't hate fictional characters for killing other fictional characters, especially when it's just villains doing the job. I like both Torian and Vette but their deaths don't do much for me to evoke any hatred towards Vaylin, so I always view it through the lens of what a particular character would do. I think most of my characters would choose to kill Vaylin(and Arcann) as she's objectively a monster and a threat.

The exception to this will be a couple of LS Jedi who are very staunch in their belief that no one is beyond redemption. Them and a Sith Warrior who I ship with Vaylin, he just doesn't care for Torian, it's just another soldier to him, will not override his sympathy and personal understanding of Vaylin in the slightest. I imagine Lana and Theron were quite worried when they saw him say he doesn't care for Torian and then immediately try to reason with Vaylin right in front of their eyes😁.

58 minutes ago, JakRoanin said:

With Valkorian as a father, both Vaylin and Arcann deserve compassion and atonement. But, I admit that I get narratively why Vaylin should stay dead.

I understand people who don't like resurrecting dead characters, but I will take it(no different from then milking Malgus or Vitiate anyway). I think writing her the way they did was a mistake. First of all, because this is a game with choices, replayability value, and variety, or at least it's supposed to be one. It's understandable why some characters like Revan and Vitiate don't get options and have a fixed storyline, they're in a tier of their own, above even our PCs, but Vaylin is the same tier as Arcann. They could have made her a darkside recruitment option or a light side healing option. I think it can be done well, but even if it isn't, she'll be even with Arcann in them both getting unrealistic rushed redemption arcs and both of their fans getting their "I can fix him/her" fantasy fulfilled.

If they HAD to write her as a tragedy, they could've done it much better. I don't have a problem with the concept of a character that was broken to the point of no return, but the execution in this case is sloppy and not believable. You are never allowed to try your best when reasoning with her, not allowed to show unconditional compassion. Senya and Arcann don't do that, either, just look at the scene in EOO and compare it to KOTET. Why the hell did Senya not say those words when Vaylin gave a window for that in chapter 8? It's a narrative of a poorly-written tragedy and the storyline will only become better from stopping clinging to it and embracing all the potential Vaylin had as a character and that they largely squandered.

If Vaylin/Syl was a thing and you left Theron on Nathema... With Satele being very unhappy with you (to say the least) and pals with Vaylin... That could create a premise for an interesting story development.

Edited by VegaMist
Typo

57 minutes ago, JakRoanin said:

Maybe I didn't why don't you explain then.

I was talking about potential story building based on what we have so far. We have an unrealized Vailyn/Syl theory.  We have Syl and Satele's close relationship. We have an option of leaving Theron on Nathema. Put these three things together and you have an opportunity for an interesting story development (potentially more interesting than Mando adventures we have now). You can still build a story with Theron in your party, more light-sided one (would have to, since I'm sure that's what majority of players chose), but it would be less spicy vs when Satele's newly-found friend has a fresh axe to grind with you.

Edited by VegaMist

6 hours ago, VegaMist said:

I was talking about potential story building based on what we have so far. We have an unrealized Vailyn/Syl theory.  We have Syl and Satele's close relationship. We have an option of leaving Theron on Nathema. Put these three things together and you have an opportunity for an interesting story development (potentially more interesting than Mando adventures we have now). You can still build a story with Theron in your party, more light-sided one (would have to, since I'm sure that's what majority of players chose), but it would be less spicy vs when Satele's newly-found friend has a fresh axe to grind with you.

This is something I haven't though of, but it's a great idea. Perhaps some development for Satele as she has to deal with a conflict of whether to contain her hatred towards the commander or holding it back and staying true to the Jedi code. I wonder how Vaylin would feel about the player character too, she doesn't seem to hate them as much as her family.

Also, I hope whatever story they do with her, they don't lock any major choices into KOTET choice with healing Arcann. She should be recruitable and killable in both paths. Some interactions will change, but I hope they don't make her an accessory to her other family members. While they didn't do it out of malice, they still hurt her, and if the devs want to tell a mature and realistic story, it would be nice to show that she's not obligated to make up or forgive them to become better and have a happier ending. 

• Like 1