Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[HOWTO - RAMDRIVE] Increasing SWTOR System Performance

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
[HOWTO - RAMDRIVE] Increasing SWTOR System Performance

Mineria
02.15.2012 , 03:08 AM | #501
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocmer_ View Post
Step 3 of Lemon_King states "Scrolling down you should see a folder called SWTOR, open it and Copy the settings folder to <SWTOR Install Location>\Star Wars-The Old Republic\SWTOR\retailclient\". Because we want to keep our settings as we move the SWTOR folder in local to the ram. So the client looks at local swtor, get directed to the ramdisk and searches there for the settings, but then again got directed to the settings folder in retailclient. This all for keeping settings between reboots n stuff.
That doesn't make any sense.
The files in %localappdata% don't need to be touched at all.
Only thing to move into RAM are DiskCacheArena and some texture packages, since your using junctions, junctions are pointers/references to the files that are copied to RAM.
You don't need to move any folder there, wouldn't make sense to hardlink either.
To keep the settings between boots, you either add a script to task scheduler or group policy (need Pro a minimum for group policy), that copies the files up into RAM at boot, or the imdisk image.
If using an imdisk image: for patching purposes there needs to be a shutdown script as well, so that we get a fresh imdisk image created, else you will have old files upon the next every boot which then will updated every single time.

It's exact the same thing that was done with LOTRO textures btw.

Robbipl
02.15.2012 , 09:18 AM | #502
When I am doing this (typing last line) it says that system can't find this directory.

Ocmer_
02.15.2012 , 09:49 AM | #503
Quote: Originally Posted by Mineria View Post
That doesn't make any sense.
The files in %localappdata% don't need to be touched at all.
Only thing to move into RAM are DiskCacheArena and some texture packages, since your using junctions, junctions are pointers/references to the files that are copied to RAM.
Well I am only following Lemon_Kings original how-to while I made the batch scripts. A quote from the OP "Right now this focuses on placing DiskCacheArena and 2 buffer files DiskCacheStatic / DiskCacheStream on a RamDrive.".

And guess what, the two buffer files are located in the local SWTOR folder. Think a while back Lemon_King said something having these on ramdisk was the biggest improvement (althou you don't say because most of the time these are 0kB but during loadingscreens these get used). And I also tought that he said by the nature of these files (being deleted/created) he could not link them with a symlink thus he had to junction the while SWTOR folder in local.

Edit;
I just confirmed it aswell, creating a symlink for 'DiskCacheStatic' and 'DiskCacheStream' to the ramdisk had no effect, as the game removes these files (thus the links) at startup and recreates them. (These files are also gone when you quit the game).
SWTOR Unleashed a program to ramdisk certain game files!
Support me for a 24 hour ingame clock!
Support me for a "focus target (of target) frame".

DarkSirius
02.15.2012 , 02:40 PM | #504
Quote: Originally Posted by Lemon_King View Post
Did you rename SWTOR in Local to SWTOR_Original, after you made a copy of it?
If you didn't your settings for each boot will become temp.

Steps 3 - 5.
3: Scrolling down you should see a folder called SWTOR, open it and Copy the settings folder to <SWTOR Install Location>\Star Wars-The Old Republic\SWTOR\retailclient\
4: Delete DiskCacheArena if it exists in <SWTOR Install Location>\Star Wars - The Old Republic\SWTOR\
5: RENAME the SWTOR folder in Local to SWTOR_Original
Yep, did all of that.

jayromandell
02.16.2012 , 01:43 AM | #505
I also get the message that it cant find the path or whatever in the last line of the commnad. Here is what I have been using:

mkdir T:\SWTOR\swtor
mklink /J "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\SWTOR" "T:\SWTOR\"
mklink /J "T:\SWTOR\swtor\settings" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic\SWTOR\retailclient\settings"
mklink "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic\SWTOR\DiskCacheArena" "T:\DiskCacheArena"

All is well except for the last line. What have i done wrong lol.?

What is says is taht the system cannot find the specified path.

Ocmer_
02.16.2012 , 10:00 AM | #506
Quote: Originally Posted by jayromandell View Post
I also get the message that it cant find the path or whatever in the last line of the commnad. Here is what I have been using:

mkdir T:\SWTOR\swtor
mklink /J "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\SWTOR" "T:\SWTOR\"
mklink /J "T:\SWTOR\swtor\settings" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic\SWTOR\retailclient\settings"
mklink "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic\SWTOR\DiskCacheArena" "T:\DiskCacheArena"

All is well except for the last line. What have i done wrong lol.?

What is says is taht the system cannot find the specified path.
Try;
mklink "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\SWTOR\DiskCacheArena" "T:\DiskCacheArena"

As the installpath for the beta was without spaces around the '-' and a new install now has spaces around it.

Ocmer_
02.16.2012 , 10:47 AM | #507
[BATCH SCRIPTS] SWTOR RAMDISK ALL-IN-ONE

This "ALL-IN-ONE SWTOR RAMDISK" batch script can do the following;
  • Setup your SWTOR to use a ramdisk.
  • Remove the ramdisk setup.
  • Mount the ramdrive (separate script available).
  • Dismount the ramdrive (to free up memory between game sessions).

NEW FEATURE VERSION 4.0.0 AND UP
Add only the asset files to the script you want to use. Due this nature, changing the settings of the script now, you the user have to remove the setup first with the current settings before making any changes and rerunning the setup!

WARNING FOR USE AFTER SETUP PRIOR VERSION 4.0.0
Due to the changes in 4.0.0 and late you have to remove the setup first with the version you used to setup the ramdrive. After that you can safely run the setup with the newer versions, and add dynamically asset files you want to use as they are not pre programmed anymore.

Warning for those who add asset files to the ramdisk:
The client can return an error when it wants to patch, as it cannot patch while there is a assetfile being linked to another location. To be able to patch remove the ramdisk setup first, patch the game, and rerun the ramdisk setup again.

Warning with using the batchscrips:
Always run the batchscrips as administrator, as I cannot guarantee correct exectution without it. To execute as administrator, right-click on the batchscrips (.bat) and select 'Run as administrator'.

INSTRUCTIONS (PLEASE READ)

Spoiler

SCRIPT SETTINGS (INCLUDING ASSET FILES)

Spoiler

ALL-IN-ONE v4.0.0
Please read the instructions and changing settings before using.
Always run as administrator, as I cannot guarantee correct exectution without.

Spoiler

MOUNTSCRIPT v4.0.0
To be used for the creating the ramdrive with asset files if needed (no interaction needed).
This can also be used as startup script for Windows if preferred.

Spoiler

CHANGELOG

Spoiler

jayromandell
02.16.2012 , 01:56 PM | #508
So I am getting a syntax error now. Big Ups on the help, and a huge thank you.

Hallel
02.16.2012 , 02:41 PM | #509
After I run the batch file it asks me to format the new partition. Is this normal?

Ocmer_
02.16.2012 , 03:12 PM | #510
Quote: Originally Posted by Hallel View Post
After I run the batch file it asks me to format the new partition. Is this normal?
Yes, as Imdisk only reserves a piece of your memory and Windows does not really know what it is until you say it has to be formatted with a filesystem (ntfs in this case).

I am curious tho, does it ask for a confirmation from your side to format the partition? So far as I know the formatting should go automatically by running the Imdisk format switch.

Did you run the script as admin or is your account admin? If not try to run it as administrator. Rightclick on the script, select Run as administrator.