The Force Awakens: You have to go see this movie!

DeLaaNie

I don't care if you hate Lucas, Bioware, Abrams, Disney, or even Jesus, you need to forget all of that bull and not let yourself miss out on this fantastic piece of cinema! There's a reason it got so many outstanding reviews because it really is that good (especially in 3D which I just this minute came from viewing) and I cannot wait for the other two movies.

As to all the Smugglers out there.....lahzatan simt!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw it in 77 when it was called "Star wars"

I saw it when it was "Star Wars" as well. I saw it at a, old rickety drive-in back in 77.

I laid on my dads hood of his 1969 Cadillac Eldorado. Of course i was 7yr old and i laid on a ratty looking moldy sleeping bag, so i wouldn't scratch the paint. lol if i did scratch the paint, no one would of really notice, from all the rust on it. Any way, It was the best night of my young life......... :D

The return to shooting on location and the use of prosthetics and puppets / muppets was a really good move. The production quality of the film is amazing, with a good balance of special effects and practical effects. The fight scenes seem well balanced and not to ridiculously long.

That being said the plot does mirror prior content and relies heavily on convenience. These points aren't substantial detractors as the overall quality of the film more than makes up for it. I'd give it an 8 / 10.

Personally I think the movie was really well done.

Now, I'm not saying the some of the arguments here are not valid but it's the perspective you have on that, that makes all the difference.

For those of us who love Star Wars but weren't happy with Episode I-III it has been about 32 years since we saw a new Star Wars movie. I do agree that there are a lot of similarities with Episode IV but I call it a feast of recognition and evidence that Star Wars is Star Wars again. I was happy to be there again and see familiar things, but I am also looking forward to what's coming after this. There's enough going on between the references to the original movies to make me curious about Episode VIII and I hope and expect that as the story progresses the change over to the new cast and time will continue.

I suspect for people who are newer to the Star Wars Universe and mainly saw Episode I-III and perhaps saw the older movies as exactly that....old movies that were outdated for them, this is a chance to catch the vibe of what the old movies brought to the world when they came out.

As well as for new viewers.

But the lack of Ewoks, Gungans and other such silly creatures, storm troopers who can actually hit things when they shoot and a developing character like Kylo Ren, which to me is a rectification of the poor character development of Anakin in Episode II-III, I think this movie has done really well in putting Star Wars back on the map.

To me this movie makes Star Wars alive again in our current day world and I think JJ Abrams has done a tremendous job balancing all the different types of Star Wars fans out there. There will always be people who aren't happy but that can't be helped. If you see the full context of what type of expectations he was up against, perhaps he played it safe, but I think if he'd gone off to a totally new story line right away with very little links to the old story, I firmly believe a ton of people would've been spewing their bile all over the internet about how it wasn't a Star Wars movie.

Better that some people, who apparently missed a lot of undertones and nudges in the storyline, call it a carbon copy of on older Star Wars movie that many people loved and still do, than that tons of people are upset that it's not really Star Wars, because that's the sort of decisions I think they were up against.

I mean...if you wanted me to rate it, I'd put it as my 3rd favorite SW film. 5,4,7,6,3,1,2 (And to be fair, Qui Gonn and Maul are the ONLY reasons that 1 just barely edges 2.)

I agree with your order... though mine is slightly different... 5,4,7,6,Spaceballs,3,1,2.

I hated it, it just didn't feel like a star wars movie, despite lifting the plot entirely from ANH, I'm so disappointed right now while I write this, Im happy so many seem to love it but for me, even the prequels had more of the originals feel, ugh, I miss George. :( Edited by goodnamebro

It's literally episode 4 version 2.0.

How is Episode 6 not the same thing?

Both RotJ and ANH have superweapons that the alliance to restore the republic have to destroy

Both RotJ and ANH have a daring rescue of one of the heroes

Both RotJ and ANH have a coming to understanding for Luke: in ANH, its about the Force and his imperative to learn its ways. in RotJ, its the realization that he must defeat his father.

TFA is hardly the exact same thing, but even if you think it is, its no different than the formula used for RotJ

You know, while people keep saying it's "A New Hope" 2.0, this is the 7th movie in the franchise. Any "new hope" of something that hasn't been covered is going to be difficult. Everything they do will be compared to the other 6. I think they did a great job of bringing in the old with the new while giving use a taste of new things and twists. :D

It's like going to Friday the 13 part 7 and saying, oh, it's this guy in a mask killing people, didn't they do that on the first one?

There are always going to be people that don't like a movie, and that's okay. Personally, I loved it. I'm going again and taking my dad this time. 35 plus years ago he took me to see the first Star Wars, that lead to a career in Film/TV. :rolleyes: Who knew...

Throwing another spoiler-free vote into the "Go see it! It's great and it feels like a genuine Star Wars experience again!" column.

My only real gripe about it is that it does feel a bit too much like a re-tread of Ep IV at some points, but overall the good far, far outweighed the bad. Gonna have to see it a couple more times to make sure it isn't the hype talking, but right now I do think it is one of my Top 3 SW movies.

Edited by DarthDymond

I'm so glad I'm not part of the 'too cool to be excited about anything' generation.

I went to see Ep IV when I was 10 years old and this movie brought all those feelings right back again. A New Hope remains my favourite Star Wars movie, because of how it changed my life, and Force Awakens has come along during a particularly difficult time in my life and I honestly felt like that 10yr old all over again. Which is pretty remarkable, and something I will never forget.

I mean...if you wanted me to rate it, I'd put it as my 3rd favorite SW film. 5,4,7,6,3,1,2 (And to be fair, Qui Gonn and Maul are the ONLY reasons that 1 just barely edges 2.)

To be fair Qui Gon and Maul are too easily countered with Jar Jar and midichlorians and then utterly destroyed with kids and poodoo jokes.

I'm so glad I'm not part of the 'too cool to be excited about anything' generation.

So much this. It's telling that those trying to muster cool cred cant even string a substantive sentence together on why it "doesnt feel like a star wars movie".

I went to see Ep IV when I was 10 years old and this movie brought all those feelings right back again. A New Hope remains my favourite Star Wars movie, because of how it changed my life, and Force Awakens has come along during a particularly difficult time in my life and I honestly felt like that 10yr old all over again. Which is pretty remarkable, and something I will never forget.

I was too little for Ep IV, but remember Empire in the theatre - the wampa scaring me, the thrill of the AT-AT's, seeing Yoda. This brought those feelings back as well. The dialogue was easily the best of any of the films possibly barring Empire, the effects a great blend of practical and digital, and a stellar performance out of Harrison Ford. After Crystal Skull, I was worried he just wouldnt give a damn, or worse, look tired and old. Nothing to fear on that count! Rey, Finn and Poe are great additions, and I'm sorry to those who hate levity in anything, but BB-8 was cute as hell.

Great movie, great Star Wars movie. I guess avoid if you're a joy-less sad sack drowning in hipster irony.

Edited by NermalDetonator

To be fair Qui Gon and Maul are too easily countered with Jar Jar and midichlorians and then utterly destroyed with kids and poodoo jokes.

^^ My order as well.

The deciding factor for me is that, in the end, Episode I felt like everything relevant that it added to the overall series could have just been covered with a ten-minute flashback sequence in one of the other Prequels. Episode II really seemed like a better starting-point for the Prequel Trilogy.

Edited by DarthDymond