Petition: Server Transfers

UlaVii

I agree completely. Bioware gave 6 days warning instead of a couple weeks warning, and it's made guilds make bad choices which has ruined their experience with the game.

People made a mistake Bioware, please, reach out to your community as everyone makes mistakes and give us another week.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Server Transfer Discounts or Server Merges won't happen, the backlash from the community who already moved with the 1000 CC price or who decided to move earlier during the 90 CC will be to large for Bioware in contrast to just ignoring this issue.

It's a shame for the hundred or whatever active accounts UlaVii are "representing" but sadly such is life, anyway, that reminds me, time to take some of the cool names members of Stroke My Wookie had for my future alts. :jawa_angel:

People made a mistake Bioware, please, reach out to your community as everyone makes mistakes and give us another week.

AND refund my 5000 cartel coins in the process. People already started paying 1000 per transfer, you are disregarding them now, because you are selfish.

Edited by ThomasStarWars

Why?

So the forum can conduct a dramatic "do over" when that deadline expires and people still make wrong choices for themselves?

Deadlines do have consequences... in real life and in play life.

Personally, I would have more sympathy if the 90cc sale had only run for a couple weeks. 10 months..... everyone had exactly the same 10 months to move around at 95% discount.

Edited by Andryah

Why?

So the forum can conduct a dramatic "do over" when that deadline expires and people still make wrong choices for themselves?

Deadlines do have consequences... in real life and in play life.

Personally, I would have more sympathy if the 90cc sale had only run for a couple weeks. 10 months..... everyone had exactly the same 10 months to move around at 95% discount.

They said they would give a few weeks time before changing the price, which they didn't do. Both sides of the parties messed up and its time to stop this us vs them scenario and admit that Bioware should of kept their word and that the guild should of transferred.

First of all, no one is asking for free transfers, we are just humbly asking BW to reconsider the price increase to 1000CC. I'll be more than happy to pay 90CC (or even twice that) - it still doesn't help many of my Greek friends who simply can't get their hands on any CCs due to their government - but seeing as their entire country has been happily living on borrowed money for decades, I guess that is their problem too, right?

Secondly, for 27 pages now you've been emphasizing the inconvenience of server mergers and how important it is for you to have a choice. But you happily recommend I throw away gear from months worth of raiding and be happy I to craft 220s? But we, who ask for something which has absolutely no impact on those who already moved (i.e. bring back the cheap transfer for a bit so that large guilds = 500+ members can get organized to move), we are the selfish ones?

So I repeat again as it seems to give you pleasure ... you were RIGHT, Ula and other guild leaders who wanted to save ToFN (no matter the reasons) were wrong. Everyone did panic leaving ToFN virtually dead. It was our decision to join the effort to keep the server alive and we failed.

Now, can you please get over this aspect and look at the current situation? Please tell me how it harms anyone or how it is unfair to anyone, when we simply ask BW to bring back the 90CC (or even 180CC) price per transfer so that large guilds and established raiding groups have the time to organize to move from a dying server to the most populated one.

They said they would give a few weeks time before changing the price, which they didn't do. Both sides of the parties messed up and its time to stop this us vs them scenario and admit that Bioware should of kept their word and that the guild should of transferred.

They said it would be increased on Tuesday, which was exactly one week later, they never mentioned "few weeks" and they even reduced the prince to 1000 CC from the initial 1800 which was the price earlier.

Dev Post here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8905117#edit8905117

Technically, the studio indirectly caused this issue by releasing an MMO and letting anyone who wants to play... play the game. MMOs by definition change over time, and a lot about game play IS influenced by the actions of other players.

One thing I agree with you on

Even if they had given a full two weeks notice, or even a months notice..... nothing different would be happening on the servers or in the forum over this. People rationalize and procrastinate all the time, in real life and inside virtual games. Some of these same people will complain and blame when they make choices they later regret.

It's difficult to say what the forums and game would have been like, no one can know for sure. It would have given guilds more time to move servers. I think the main reason why people flocked to TRE was because of panic transferring. As more people quickly transferred due to the short notice...more people followed because "everyone else" was transferring. A months notice, we may have seen guilds gradually move over, and it may again have caused a panic transfer the weekend before and we'd start to see threads like this one.

No amount of notice, or action by the studio would stop silly petition threads, much less dramatic complaint threads.

People will complain about everything and anything and create petition threads, but they wouldn't have been as large as this one due to the circumstances around the short notice.

Yes, everyone had the option to move in 10 months. But in those 10 months, we saw very gradual server population going down on TOFN, it was only until the last weekend that we saw a sudden rapid decline of population and people started to notice how bad it got, in which guilds like the OPs one made a decision.

People will complain about everything and anything and create petition threads, but they wouldn't have been as large as this one due to the circumstances around the short notice.

...and as long as we are considering fixing the server transfers, can we fix my contraband slot machine while we're at it?

:rak_01:

Last week we announced our next Digital Expansion: Knights of the Fallen Empire. Since announcing, we have seen a lot of players coming back and getting into The Old Republic. Whether you are a new player, an old subscriber coming back, or a player who has been around a while, you may have been looking for an opportunity to move to a new server. Maybe your friends transferred servers in the past or you’re just trying to find a new Fleet to call home.

In honor of our Fallen Empire announcement, we wanted to make it a bit easier for you to play on the server you want to. Starting tomorrow, Tuesday June 23rd, all character transfers will be discounted by over 90%, for a limited time. Each character transfer will only cost 90 Cartel Coins each. This promotion will run for a while, and we will make sure to give you a couple weeks of notice before the price goes back to normal.

I hope jade is still online to find this from the actual dev post... ugh man ill see you in 30 hours when I find it officially.

Edited by peter_plankskull

Things I've learned in this thread:

1. Two weeks' notice would have solved all the problems. Grandpa was right, the difference between comedy and tragedy is time.

2. From now on, all future announcements from EA/BW will say: "We will give some indeterminate period of notice, possibly ranging between a few minutes to several months, within our sole discretion, prior to <insert future change>."

It seems the failure to react in time is a common theme with the Bioware SWTOR team.

It happened in the first few months of the game when after the initial player loss people began leaving in droves due to low server populations and Bioware's failure to merge the servers. By the time they finally did merge them, it was already too late. Since that initial mismanagement SWTOR has been dying a slow and painful death...

Now they're yet again being slow to react and the player base suffers for it.

AND refund my 5000 cartel coins in the process. People already started paying 1000 per transfer, you are disregarding them now, because you are selfish.

I've paid probably 5k worth of cartel coins moving characters to various servers since the price drop to 90 CC. And I got my coin's worth, so to speak, by having the increased population for the last 10 months. I agree that BW should have never lowered the price and just allowed free transfers from the start, but that is an issue you should bring up with them. If they allowed the remaining players on servers with a population unable to support normal gameplay, I wouldn't have an issue with having paid them to move before. Just like I didn't complain that I transferred a character for 1,800 cartel coins one week and 90 the next.

I've paid probably 5k worth of cartel coins moving characters to various servers since the price drop to 90 CC. And I got my coin's worth, so to speak, by having the increased population for the last 10 months. I agree that BW should have never lowered the price and just allowed free transfers from the start, but that is an issue you should bring up with them. If they allowed the remaining players on servers with a population unable to support normal gameplay, I wouldn't have an issue with having paid them to move before. Just like I didn't complain that I transferred a character for 1,800 cartel coins one week and 90 the next.

I think people are more annoyed with the sudden announcement than the price.

I think this thread serves as all the more reason to have server merges as a lot of these problems can be solved and avoided rather than cheesing it all with server transfers. Why should the players have to move off a dead server... why cant Bioware merge them?

Because I don't want to merge into a larger server. I prefer my quiet little community.

Because I don't want to merge into a larger server. I prefer my quiet little community.

But is Bioware okay with having a quiet little community? Does running a server with a small population give them an advantage financially?

I like quiet to, but she unfortunately isn't in this game.

You must like a real tiny community.... Jung ma is like those people on Taris after the bombardments, the only difference is that instead of rakghouls its server transfers :rak_01:.

But is Bioware okay with having a quiet little community? Does running a server with a small population give them an advantage financially?

82 players pubside right now (not logging to check impside, but it's likely 10-20% more). My guild still has over 200 pref/sub 'recent' accounts, and it's not even the largest on pubside, let alone the server. I alone have spent over $50 this month on packs and unlocks, and judging by the amount of new items posted to the GTN by multiple players, I'm not alone in having a recent spending spree. I think they can still afford to at least keep the lights on. It's not like we're talking about 10-50 active players like what the original mergers were apparently made to resolve (before my time, not sure how much of such claims are hyperbole).

You must like a real tiny community....

I really do. I was just able to solo the [PVP] missions for the Gree event without fear of being ganked upon, and I'm about to go solo the other three dailies, and genuinely hope to not come across another soul :)

I just spent the last hour on bastion waiting for a lowbie pvp que pop in the middle of double exp and it didn't happen. This is not okay. Please consider server merger. Thank you.

To be fair, since the introduction of Insta-60 toons, the Midbie and Lowbie brackets have taken a hit on all servers. Ebon Hawk has a pretty big population, but you are lucky to get a Midbie pop even in Primetime.

Harbinger is the only server I've gotten a Midbie pop on in two weeks and even those take awhile. I've leveled toons in the past entirely by PvP only. Those days are gone.

To be fair, since the introduction of Insta-60 toons, the Midbie and Lowbie brackets have taken a hit on all servers. Ebon Hawk has a pretty big population, but you are lucky to get a Midbie pop even in Primetime.

Harbinger is the only server I've gotten a Midbie pop on in two weeks and even those take awhile. I've leveled toons in the past entirely by PvP only. Those days are gone.

I would honestly rather grind heroics to get a 60 token from the GTN than level through PvP.