I don't want to be forced to pick a second combat style when changing my first

Pricia

As title says - I switched my first combat style for the mirror one, but I was forced to pick a second combat style in the process. There's no option for "pick a second combat style later." If you exit the conversation, you end up staying with your first style.

This is... very disappointing. I hope it's not intended.

I posted this exact remark awhile ago, and was met with some lovely "well don't change your combat style then" replies. :| (Gotta love this community sometimes.)

In any case, I really hope they allow us to make one choice at a time. Sometimes you just don't know what you want your second style to be right away.

I gotta agree with the "just don't use the second combat style then" comments.

I get where you are coming from, it would be nice if they were separate, but I genuinely don't see a real problem.

"Just shut up and roll another character," right?

Why would you need to reroll another character? You have a character, that you picked your combat style on, and you only plan on sticking on that combat style, yes?

What's the problem with having to pick a second combat style that will just go unused? It's not taking anything away from you.

Why would you need to reroll another character? You have a character, that you picked your combat style on, and you only plan on sticking on that combat style, yes?

What's the problem with having to pick a second combat style that will just go unused? It's not taking anything away from you.

It's taking away the chance of getting a new combat style if they are ever introduced.

What if I have an existing Force user character that I only want to change to the mirror upon login, but don't want to select another combat style yet?

What if I have an existing Force user character that I only want to change to the mirror upon login, but don't want to select another combat style yet?

Exactly!

I can't start with Juggernaut on my Jedi (I like the style) and while I want to go Sage as the second on at least my Consular (finally try out the Sage), maybe I want to wait on my others.

What if they come up with Saber + Pistol combo Force User?!

How did you manage to pick the classes of your characters in the first place if you honestly believe what you just said.

One is derived from the class the player picked before 7.0. The other is picked (of necessity) in post-7.0 when the character chooses to reflect the first.

Example: Jedi Guardian created before 7.0. The player has completed all class stories but done what it takes so that the Guardian will be able to take the "reflect style" mission.

As part of the reflect style mission, the Guardian style is dropped in favour of Juggernaut, but the player must also choose a second style. It's all or nothing.

In 7.6, BioWare adds a new Force User style. The details of this style are not important, but the style is *interesting* to the player. To be able to choose this style for the Guardian, the player must wait until 7.6 to take the "reflect" mission.

So, do we wait to reflect, in case there's a new interesting style released, or do we bite the bullet and just take the reflect mission now? If we do wait, for how long?

One is derived from the class the player picked before 7.0. The other is picked (of necessity) in post-7.0 when the character chooses to reflect the first.

Example: Jedi Guardian created before 7.0. The player has completed all class stories but done what it takes so that the Guardian will be able to take the "reflect style" mission.

As part of the reflect style mission, the Guardian style is dropped in favour of Juggernaut, but the player must also choose a second style. It's all or nothing.

In 7.6, BioWare adds a new Force User style. The details of this style are not important, but the style is *interesting* to the player. To be able to choose this style for the Guardian, the player must wait until 7.6 to take the "reflect" mission.

So, do we wait to reflect, in case there's a new interesting style released, or do we bite the bullet and just take the reflect mission now? If we do wait, for how long?

They won't add a goddamn new class /advanced class that has no class story, no voice actor, no nothing at all for all previous content at some point when they can just as easily add a new skill tree available to all force user classes instead. Of all the dumb things I've read on this forum, "I don't want to pick a second combat style just in case Bioware creates an entirely new class for no reason 11 years after release that I would then have to level instead of instantly having access to it on one char" just tops everything.

They won't add a gosh darn new class /advanced class that has no class story, no voice actor, no nothing at all for all previous content at some point when they can just as easily add a new skill tree available to all force user classes instead.

Did I mention them adding a new class or advanced class? Let's see:

In 7.6, BioWare adds a new Force User style.

No. I mentioned a new combat style. I figured the readership would understand that I meant a combat style without me having to actually use both words. Apparently I was wrong.

The cited "new skill tree available to all force user classes" is exactly the definition of a "new combat style", and the big gain from separating origin stories from combat style is exactly that they can add a new combat-mechanics class ("combat style" or "new skill tree") without having to add a new *story* class ("origin story"). I'm not saying that this was their *intent*, but it's certainly something they gain.

But to return to the point of my post, if the reflect mission *also* requires people to select a second style at the same time, that's a negative because the player must choose between "wait to see if there's a new style" and "I want the reflected style *now*".

And even without the possibility of a future new style, I might not know *now* which second style I want, and there's no indication that they will let us change either style later. Again, I have to choose between "reflect now" and "choose later".

Imposing that choice adds nothing to the game, and annoys the players. Sounds like a bad idea to me.

How did you manage to pick the classes of your characters in the first place if you honestly believe what you just said.

I'm a bit dumbfounded that I actually have to explain that one.

I picked a combat style when I started a character because I wanted to try it (or just play the story, really). That meant making a new character because there was no choice.

In this case, they are forcing a combat style I don't want on an existing character. Surely you can see the difference?

They won't add a gosh darn new class /advanced class that has no class story, no voice actor, no nothing at all for all previous content at some point when they can just as easily add a new skill tree available to all force user classes instead. Of all the dumb things I've read on this forum, "I don't want to pick a second combat style just in case Bioware creates an entirely new class for no reason 11 years after release that I would then have to level instead of instantly having access to it on one char" just tops everything.

I don't think you understand the way the update is going to work. There are classes (Sith Warrior, Jedi Knight etc) that will be called Origins. Then there are subclasses (Gunslinger, Operative etc) that will be called combat styles.

They are separating origins from combat styles. They THEMSELVES stated that one of the reasons for doing this is that they are considering adding new combat styles. COMBAT STYLES. Not ORIGINS. There's absolutely no need to add new voices or new stories or anything just for a combat style.

They could add a new force combat style that any force character could pick up as long as they are subscribers and don't have a second combat style. They could add a melee tech class that any tech character could pick up as long as they are subscribers and don't have a second combat style. That has nothing to do with the story. It's just combat.

So yes, being forced to pick a PERMANENT second combat style on a character just because I want to switch the first one means that I won't be able to pick up a new combat style on that character if they create a new one.

And YES it is a big deal.

Edited by Pricia

You are not required to choose a 2nd combat style on the PTS. And I can 100% say that I only intend to take a 2nd Combat Style on 2 of my 100+ characters. If I want to play a specific class I'll log onto that character and play it. I have no need of a 2nd Combat style on a character otherwise. Edited by Toraak

You are not required to choose a 2nd combat style on the PTS. And I can 100% say that I only intend to take a 2nd Combat Style on 2 of my 100+ characters. If I want to play a specific class I'll log onto that character and play it. I have no need of a 2nd Combat style on a character otherwise.

You ARE required to take a 2nd combat style when switching a force spec to its mirror style.

Read my first post...

I transferred 2 characters to PTS; immediately boosted one to 80 and did the mission to select a 2nd combat style.

I saw this thread and thought I could avoid this scenario described in the OP by changing into the mirror class at level 75 because I was under the impression that level 80 was a requirement for the 2nd style.

I did the mission; changed a shadow into an assassin and it promptly forced me to select a 2nd combat style.

I doubt I will hold out too long for selecting a 2nd style. but I completely agree with the OP that the choice of what, when and IF we choose a 2nd style should be up to the player. and the choice between a mirror style and a 2nd style should be separate missions/events

I'm a bit dumbfounded that I actually have to explain that one.

I picked a combat style when I started a character because I wanted to try it (or just play the story, really). That meant making a new character because there was no choice.

In this case, they are forcing a combat style I don't want on an existing character. Surely you can see the difference?

I don't think you understand the way the update is going to work. There are classes (Sith Warrior, Jedi Knight etc) that will be called Origins. Then there are subclasses (Gunslinger, Operative etc) that will be called combat styles.

They are separating origins from combat styles. They THEMSELVES stated that one of the reasons for doing this is that they are considering adding new combat styles. COMBAT STYLES. Not ORIGINS. There's absolutely no need to add new voices or new stories or anything just for a combat style.

They could add a new force combat style that any force character could pick up as long as they are subscribers and don't have a second combat style. They could add a melee tech class that any tech character could pick up as long as they are subscribers and don't have a second combat style. That has nothing to do with the story. It's just combat.

So yes, being forced to pick a PERMANENT second combat style on a character just because I want to switch the first one means that I won't be able to pick up a new combat style on that character if they create a new one.

And YES it is a big deal.

The combat style is literally just what is currently the advanced class. Why would they add an entire new AC / Combat Style when a simple addition of skill tree - like Lighting or Courrption for Sorc on ALL classes and thus ALL combat styles would do the exact same thing? They have not released a spec or advanced class in over 10 years. Why start now? And why - even if that bogus assumption were true - not assume they would let you simply re-choose your CS if that came to be? It's just a ridiculous argument to make. It's NOT a big deal at all. They're just not gonna make 3 new skill trees for an AC. It's not happening. They barely managed to balance - and failed for the most part - the ones we have now. Even with all the PTS feedback, they're still doing a poor job.

Hmm. They need an additional Option then for None at this time, or Ask me later. It does force you to pick a 2nd combat style if you change to your mirror. That is unfortunate. It just means I won't switch on most of my characters then. I'll leave the quest unfinished, until or if I decide I want a 2nd combat style.

I just tested it on a sage.

Edited by Toraak

The combat style is literally just what is currently the advanced class. Why would they add an entire new AC / Combat Style when a simple addition of skill tree - like Lighting or Courrption for Sorc on ALL classes and thus ALL combat styles would do the exact same thing? They have not released a spec or advanced class in over 10 years. Why start now? And why - even if that bogus assumption were true - not assume they would let you simply re-choose your CS if that came to be? It's just a ridiculous argument to make. It's NOT a big deal at all. They're just not gonna make 3 new skill trees for an AC. It's not happening. They barely managed to balance - and failed for the most part - the ones we have now. Even with all the PTS feedback, they're still doing a poor job.

They can start now because they can now create a new combat style without having to create a new story from scratch. As I said above, the devs themselves have said that it's one of the reasons for the change - so that it's possible to make new combat styles down the line.

But yeah, they said the combat style choices would be PERMANENT, so silly me for assuming that we won't be able to change it (insert eye roll here).

They can start now because they can now create a new combat style without having to create a new story from scratch. As I said above, the devs themselves have said that it's one of the reasons for the change - so that it's possible to make new combat styles down the line.

But yeah, they said the combat style choices would be PERMANENT, so silly me for assuming that we won't be able to change it (insert eye roll here).

Then you also just assume there will definitely be a new CS and you also assume you won't get to pick a third OR you won't get to change it. They also said choosing your advanced class was permanent and now you get a second advanced class and you can play a Jedi Knight skill set on your Sith Warrior. Things change and they in turn change other things. 7.0 will overhaul balancing of classes and depending on what you want to play, your class might be the next PT or the next Arsenal Merc for nim raiders. How did you ever pick an advanced class then given how well they perform or how they're played changes from time to time? Why not assume a solution will be presented if a new AC was introduced? If nothing else, just roll another character? And when that AC rolls around, then what? You still gonna wait for the possibly next one coming out which might be more fun? Where does it end?

Then you also just assume there will definitely be a new CS and you also assume you won't get to pick a third OR you won't get to change it. They also said choosing your advanced class was permanent and now you get a second advanced class and you can play a Jedi Knight skill set on your Sith Warrior. Things change and they in turn change other things. 7.0 will overhaul balancing of classes and depending on what you want to play, your class might be the next PT or the next Arsenal Merc for nim raiders. How did you ever pick an advanced class then given how well they perform or how they're played changes from time to time? Why not assume a solution will be presented if a new AC was introduced? If nothing else, just roll another character? And when that AC rolls around, then what? You still gonna wait for the possibly next one coming out which might be more fun? Where does it end?

It's not even the point!

The point is that we shouldn't be forced to pick a second combat style when all we want is to change the first. Why are you even raving about this?