Plz Don't Assume My Combat Style...

BigBack

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dev Post

Hi all,

As mentioned earlier, Chris has only ever repeated info that was stated previously and has cited where that info can be found. He has brought your concerns and feedback to the team through his interactions with you all in a variety of sources. While we welcome your feedback, negativity specifically targeting a dev isn't tolerated. This is no different than when players go beyond difference of opinion and debate with each other. Please be mindful of this when posting here in the forums.

Thank you,

Jackie

Whats the issue? You gotta subscribe to change your style? The horror! I mean, isn't everyone posting here a subscriber already anyways. Gotta be to post to the forums if I remember correctly. I don't see an issue with that. It is a subscription based game isn't it?

Nope, that is not the issue. This is:

As Jackie posted, we fully intended for current characters to be able to choose a preferred Combat Style upon logging in for Game Update 7.0. We have worked for some time to try and make this happen, but recently ran into some technical hurdles that unfortunately prevents us from supporting this. So, as a result, when you log into the game after 7.0, your primary Combat Style will be your current Advanced Class. Choosing your Advanced Class was designed to be a permanent choice, and we will continue this with Combat Styles. We have no current plans to introduce a method to change one of your Combat Styles.

Originally, when they announced this change it was stated you could change your combat style once the 7.0 hit but now you cannot, which is not the problem. The problem was that the most of the responses to this was done on discord until a mess hit the forums and then it was announced just last week to the forums. They should have stated the problems they were having sooner not the few days leading up to the expansion.

As Jackie posted, we fully intended for current characters to be able to choose a preferred Combat Style upon logging in for Game Update 7.0. We have worked for some time to try and make this happen, but recently ran into some technical hurdles that unfortunately prevents us from supporting this. So, as a result, when you log into the game after 7.0, your primary Combat Style will be your current Advanced Class. Choosing your Advanced Class was designed to be a permanent choice, and we will continue this with Combat Styles. We have no current plans to introduce a method to change one of your Combat Styles.

Originally, when they announced this change it was stated you could change your combat style once the 7.0 hit but now you cannot, which is not the problem. The problem was that the most of the responses to this was done on discord until a mess hit the forums and then it was announced just last week to the forums. They should have stated the problems they were having sooner not the few days leading up to the expansion.

You can still pick a second style though right? And have it be any of the force/non force classes available depending on your PC's sensitivity right? If so, I'm not bothered in the least. But hey, that's just me. I definitely agree that they shouldn't be airing this stuff on Discord though, we watch the DEV TRACKER for updates. I shouldn't need to go trolling through Discord too.

Edited by uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Hi all,

As mentioned earlier, Chris has only ever repeated info that was stated previously and has cited where that info can be found. He has brought your concerns and feedback to the team through his interactions with you all in a variety of sources. While we welcome your feedback, negativity specifically targeting a dev isn't tolerated. This is no different than when players go beyond difference of opinion and debate with each other. Please be mindful of this when posting here in the forums.

Thank you,

Jackie

Ms. Ko I think the issue here is that it looks sketchy. That's no reason to attack anyone, of course.

You can still pick a second style though right? And have it be any of the force/non force classes available depending on your PC's sensitivity right? If so, I'm not bothered in the least. But hey, that's just me. I definitely agree that they shouldn't be airing this stuff on Discord though, we watch the DEV TRACKER for updates. I shouldn't need to go trolling through Discord too.

The problem is that what was originally announced would have allowed me to change my main from a Commando to a Mercenary for her primary combat style (as this will fit her story better) and also choose vanguard/powertech as a secondary style (for group content utility). But at the last minute we are finding out that I will have to choose between wasting my second style slot for an aesthetic change, or foregoing aesthetics for utility. I will probably end up choosing utililty but its just disappointing is all.

The problem is that what was originally announced would have allowed me to change my main from a Commando to a Mercenary for her primary combat style (as this will fit her story better) and also choose vanguard/powertech as a secondary style (for group content utility). But at the last minute we are finding out that I will have to choose between wasting my second style slot for an aesthetic change, or foregoing aesthetics for utility. I will probably end up choosing utililty but its just disappointing is all.

First thing's first, Love the Name! Second, yeppers this is exactly the problem. It's not the end of the SWTOR world, but it is a massive anti-climax.

This will have no effect on that. Being Veng spec as a Jugger for example is NOT your combat style. Being a Juggernaut is your combat style. So if you rolled a Sith Jugger you will have all 3 specs of that combat style. You can also choose to be a Marauder as a second combat style and you will have all 3 specs. Each Advance Class= a Combat Style

However if you have been Playing as a Light Side sith or Have Light 5 Achieve you can Select Guardian and Sentinel as your two styles if you wish

I have not seen any mention of these "specs", and since the ability trees are going away, does this mean that we are going from what we have now, 8 classes, each with 2 sub classes, and 3 ability paths for each sub class, to 8 stories, and 16 fighting styles, from which we must choose a set of abilities? That is what I think I am seeing, I could be wrong, the entire path to the update has been filled with mis-information and confusion, so I won't be surprised if I am not seeing this correctly.

I have not seen any mention of these "specs", and since the ability trees are going away, does this mean that we are going from what we have now, 8 classes, each with 2 sub classes, and 3 ability paths for each sub class, to 8 stories, and 16 fighting styles, from which we must choose a set of abilities? That is what I think I am seeing, I could be wrong, the entire path to the update has been filled with mis-information and confusion, so I won't be surprised if I am not seeing this correctly.

we now will have:

- 8 origin stories,

- 16 advanced classes (aka combat styles)

- and per compat style the 3 disciplines to choose from.

That doesn't change at all (at least it didn't when I tested the 3 disciplines per combat style on the PTS...)

so if you choose say Sage as your combat style you still can choose between telekinesis, balance or seer

Edited by Dekibra

Ms. Ko I think the issue here is that it looks sketchy. That's no reason to attack anyone, of course.

Both of these points /thumb up. I still think it would have been better received if the announcement of the change was made here (the main General forum) rather than on a discord few know about or would want to access. I haven't seen any personal attacks on the Devs; I hope that's because they were dealt with quickly (though I have seen an attack on me for one of my posts - people are such misogynistic ar$eholes sometimes). It's easy to feedback displeasure without resorting to insults and petty trolling.

No longer having this choice/option available to current characters is really galling. I'm not sure they understand that. And given the game's history when things similar to this have happened, it's unlikely this will ever change so current characters will most likely never be able to alter their primary spec. It leads people to think that the game favours new players over long-time subscribers with multiple characters. It's disappointing. I've given up with the ability changes as well as the new way of gearing and hoping instead that the story will be good..

On the bright side, totally unrelated to this thread (but related to 7.0), unranked PvP has been brilliant this week with everyone trying to get that weekly quest done before 7.0 stops us carrying that quest over to the next week, or month. Every match I've been in has been close run and enjoyable (hasn't been like this for long time). Same for Starfighter matches.

The problem was that the most of the responses to this was done on discord until a mess hit the forums .

That's why I always say although discord is nice it's unofficial. Some swtor devs chat in discord servers, I never thought that was good business practice. As we see what happens on the official platform here as a result.

On the topic of discussion tho however I don't see a problem w keeping your original style and then choosing a second. That's why u made the char in the 1st place anyway. It will be nice tho to choose a second for subs. Having 1 char be able to heal dps and tank all in one is gonna be so nice! Looking forward to update!

Dear Bioware,

Two questions:

• With the delay announcement today, any chance the development team will revisit the ability to reset an existing character's initial combat style?

• Further down the road, now that combat styles are accessible across factions, will the mirroring combat styles become more unique in terms of abilities rather than just animations and weapons (e.g. Sharpshooter versus Marksmanship)?

Cheers!

I get you may want to change your original play style to the opposing factions play style an assassin using the shadows abilities for example, but that's the adv class you levelled suggesting you want to change your assassin to a guardian and sentinel is basically saying you want 2 free boosts to adv classes you never levelled.

I think its great the changes they are making and for my shadow to go from someone who has to pay to swap from tank and dps and set up my talents gear etc to pressing a button from my load out screen to pick whether im ranged melee healer or tank is way better.

If you want access to 2 adv classes you dont have levelled then level them or boost them

So existing characters are stuck with their advanced class? Oeuf. I deleted my main characters because I wanted to go through the class stories again as separate combat styles, and used most my credits getting gear for the new level 1’s for when the update came out. Guess I should’ve waited, now I don’t know if I’ll have the desire to do it again.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 I agree, if it is possible please let all existing characters choose two new combat sytles! :D

Imagine e.g. Scoundrel + Vanguard two styles, with loadouts 3 roles: DPS/HEAL/TANK just perfect! :cool:

Dear Bioware

Please don't assume existing toons want to keep their original advanced class/combat style. New toons get to pick 2 new combat styles so should existing toons. If your intent here is partly to separate Origin Story from Combat Styles why are you forcing a combat style on existing toons that already have an Origin story? This makes no sense to me.

Please give our existing toons the choice of 2 new combat styles.

Thank you

Jeremy

Edited by SezbooMatwayas

More reasons to not play the Republic Side. I'm staying right here on the Empire Side. Once 7.0 launches I am deleting all my characters on the Empire Side who has light side on them.

This is why I want friends to play Empire but I just dont want to be Forced to play on the oppeset faction to play with them on a Jedi Character. If they want to play Republic they will have to just play alone without me sense I am not gonna waste my time with the other side.

The only reason I will be doing republic is for playing all the class stories once and that is it.

[*]As Jackie posted, we fully intended for current characters to be able to choose a preferred Combat Style upon logging in for Game Update 7.0. We have worked for some time to try and make this happen, but recently ran into some technical hurdles that unfortunately prevents us from supporting this. So, as a result, when you log into the game after 7.0, your primary Combat Style will be your current Advanced Class. Choosing your Advanced Class was designed to be a permanent choice, and we will continue this with Combat Styles. We have no current plans to introduce a method to change one of your Combat Styles.

Guess I'll delete the character I made, leveled to to 75, geared, put through the expansions, and maxed out companions for so that it would be ready for the expansion, and start over again at level 1 with the two combat styles I actually want.

Seems like a pre-existing Shadow can become an Assassin (and still have a second combat style available), so I don't know why my Commando can't do a similar swap to Merc, except to teach me a lesson for trusting you to keep your word.

Guess I'll delete the character I made, leveled to to 75, geared, put through the expansions, and maxed out companions for so that it would be ready for the expansion, and start over again at level 1 with the two combat styles I actually want.

Seems like a pre-existing Shadow can become an Assassin (and still have a second combat style available), so I don't know why my Commando can't do a similar swap to Merc, except to teach me a lesson for trusting you to keep your word.

Jedi don't switch weapon usage, which is what I'd guess is the technical difficulty they're having with allowing Tech Classes to switch to opposite sides equal. They also said it pretty early on.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I wanted to jump in and try and clarify some of the potential confusion in this thread.

There are two different topics here: The ability for existing players to change the Combat Style upon logging in to the 7.0 Game Update, and the rules around characters with Force Origin Stories when they are offered an option to swap Combat Styles with their opposite-aligned mirror.

Force Origin Story Considerations

• Force Origin Stories have some special considerations, since there are some restrictions in Combat Style choice that Tech Origin Stories do not share.
  • To a brand new player, or a player who has not unlocked their Dark V/Light V achievements in their Legacy (Legacy of Sacrifice and Legacy of Unity), they are not presented with the option to choose an opposite-aligned Combat Style at character create nor when they unlock their second Combat Style, with one exception:
    • If a player without these unlocks has been playing their character with opposite aligned morality, such as a Jedi Origin Story as a Dark Side character, or a Sith Origin Story as a Light Side character, they will receive the option to swap their current Combat Style to the opposite alignment equivalent upon completing their Act 3 story. In addition, when they are prompted to select their second Combat Style, they will have all Force Combat Styles available to them.

[*]Force Origin Story players who have already unlocked Light V/Dark V achievements will not see any restrictions, and all Combat Styles are available to them at both character create and when choosing their second Combat Style

Thanks,

-Chris

Hi!

Just wanted to point out that the Legacy of Sacrifice and Legacy of Unity are the global unlock perks... and there's already players asking on Reddit if paying to unlock these will work for making opposite-side classes (Sorc Knight, etc).

Devs might want to correct it, as being able to buy the requirement that's supposed to be earned is (hopefully) not what you intended, and (likely new) players will NOT be happy when they pay for these thinking it'll unlock stuff it doesn't.

Hi all,

Force Origin Story Considerations

• Force Origin Stories have some special considerations, since there are some restrictions in Combat Style choice that Tech Origin Stories do not share.
  • To a brand new player, or a player who has not unlocked their Dark V/Light V achievements in their Legacy (Legacy of Sacrifice and Legacy of Unity), they are not presented with the option to choose an opposite-aligned Combat Style at character create nor when they unlock their second Combat Style, with one exception:
    • If a player without these unlocks has been playing their character with opposite aligned morality, such as a Jedi Origin Story as a Dark Side character, or a Sith Origin Story as a Light Side character, they will receive the option to swap their current Combat Style to the opposite alignment equivalent upon completing their Act 3 story. In addition, when they are prompted to select their second Combat Style, they will have all Force Combat Styles available to them.

[*]Force Origin Story players who have already unlocked Light V/Dark V achievements will not see any restrictions, and all Combat Styles are available to them at both character create and when choosing their second Combat Style

Why can't returning players also get the option to switch after the act 3 story? I can understand if you pick a combat style from the other faction, but if pick one within your own why can't we have the mirror switch.

It just seems like newer players are getting more out of this than those with achievements.