Lost most of my abilities after starting Fallen Empire...***

Drachehexe

Just started Fallen Empire for the first time and it stripped most of my abilities away saying I am a "new player" and that the tutorial will teach me how to use skill I've been using for for 60 freaking level already. What in gosh darn hell is up with this crap? I don't need to learn how to use my skills for Christ's sake. You know how long it took me to organize my action bar to my liking and you throw that all away??? Edited by Drachehexe

Just started Fallen Empire for the first time and it stripped most of my away saying I am a "new player" and that the tutorial will teach me how to use skill I've been using for for 60 freaking level already. What in gosh darn hell is up with this crap?

You must have selected to do the tutorial which is designed for new players who chose to do the instant 60. Not sure if you can turn that off now or not (never done it myself).

Just play through and the abilities will return.

You may not need to learn how to use your abilities but you certainly need to learn the read the dialogue boxes that pop up asking you if you want to enable tutorial mode. Also how to disable it should you not want to continue to use it.:p

Edit: you CAN turn it off. It's in the options somewhere. But I've never use it, so I can't direct you where.

Edited by dbears

It amazes me how many people have had this happen to them.

When I started the expansion last week I was greeted by a message onscreen about tutorial. I had two options and two possible buttons to press. As I knew my class and had arranged all my abilities I just clicked the "no" or dismiss option and I continued the expansion with my bars all left alone.

Just goes to show how many people will just click anything they are presented with without reading.

Reminds me of a story about an EULA from about 10 years ago in a game. In it was a clause that said if you were the first to ring a number and quote this code you'd be given $1000. It was over four months after the release of the game that someone actually called and claimed their $1000 - don't read and click, that's the way forward.

Just started Fallen Empire for the first time and it stripped most of my abilities away saying I am a "new player" and that the tutorial will teach me how to use skill I've been using for for 60 freaking level already. What in gosh darn hell is up with this crap? I don't need to learn how to use my skills for Christ's sake. You know how long it took me to organize my action bar to my liking and you throw that all away???

So you fail at reading the giant box that pops up in the middle of your screen asking you if that's what you want, and it's Bioware's fault? Riiiiiiiiiight.

So you fail at reading the giant box that pops up in the middle of your screen asking you if that's what you want, and it's Bioware's fault? Riiiiiiiiiight.

Of course it's their fault. The character is roughly two freakin years old. Are they really too stupid to know that? Something like that should only pop up if was an instant level 60. If their programmers aren't smart enough to figure out a way to know new versus old characters then their weak asses need to be fired. It's not that hard to do, but maybe their design staff isn't creative enough to think of such things beforehand.

Edited by Drachehexe

Of course it's their fault. The character is roughly two gosh darn years old. Are they really too stupid to know that?

I didn't read the popup either. Saw all my abilities disappear. Then I saw the "cancel tutorial" option. Clicked it. Everything was golden.

You're making mountains out of molehills.

Of course it's their fault. The character is roughly two freakin years old. Are they really too stupid to know that? Something like that should only pop up if was an instant level 60. If their programmers aren't smart enough to figure out a way to know new versus old characters then their weak asses need to be fired. It's not that hard to do, but maybe their design staff isn't creative enough to think of such things beforehand.

No, the fault is all yours, you decided not to read, you lost your abilities and didn't know how to get em back, that's ALL on you.

Maybe the character's been sitting at 60 for a while, but the player left the game and just came back, and the tutorial would help them learn their class again. Or maybe it's a little played alt of a class they need to relearn how to play at max level. Or they've respecced from tank/healer to DPS, or vice versa, and the tutorial is a good way to learn their new spec. There's all kinds of reasons someone might not be a new player, but still might want to go through the tutorial. Next time read instead of blindly clicking and you won't have an issue, entirely your fault.

Edited by kingofmachines

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I'd also like to thank those who provided the answer of how to solve this. I don't even remember the tutorial box because it probably came up on the insta-60 I made (and then escaped out of so haven't actually started playing yet). I don't remember it telling me that I'd lose all abilities or that the choice would carry over to characters I leveled up from 1. And seeing as how there's no clear "turn this feature off" button (unless you know where in the sprawling interface to look--and it's not in the tutorial section), when I started the chapter on my non-insta character, I was getting rather annoyed until I found the answer here. I'm glad it was simple to revert.

Kind of annoys me how so many people on these forums think that if you don't know exactly everything to do in this game or want anything set up at all differently, it's because you're a total moron who doesn't pay attention. Um, no.

And for the record, I agree with the person who said the coding should know the difference between an insta-60 and a character you level up.

Edited by MollyDresden

I made this mistake the first time I did KOTFE. Didn't know there was a disable tutorial button until now. I've just been careful about clicking the X. Kind of an ill-thought-out setup if you ask me. A tiny check mark next to a tiny X and a wall of text. What could possibly go wrong?

Automatically gives you the option even if you've been playing your character for years, amirite? What could possibly go wrong.

There's user error and then there's setting the user up to fail. I would say this one leans more in the direction of the latter.

• 1 year later...
Hit ESC and turn off the tutorial from the main menu.

This just happened to me for the first time ever.

I guess we sometimes get ahead of ourselves once we've been playing long enough and are careless with our clicking.

Thankfully, this solution only took me 20 seconds to find. Not gonna lie, I panicked a bit when they weren't even showing up in my abilities list [P]. *whew*

Thanks a bunch.

When KOTFE first came out I did the same thing. Then quickly berated my self for not paying attention and reading the prompts. I had nobody to blame but me....

I have worked in IT, and it amazes me too. I informed one of my employers that they could save lots of money on their computers not buying any Monitors. They wanted to know how that would be good. I tolled them, it seems that nobody reads what is not the screen, so why buy them.

"Reading is fundamental"

If it wasn't for the fact that it tells you right on the screen this would almost be funny, instead it is just another case of Operator Error....

Edited by denavin

Hit ESC and turn off the tutorial from the main menu.

^This works, I found this out by accident. A while back I failed to see the box about tutorials and madly hit escape after all my abilities disappeared however it only works on characters you've levelled through class and already have their abilities. If boosted and going straight to kotfe you'll be forced to learn them through this chapter iirc. Doesn't take long though.

• 2 years later...
Thank you I got scared for a minute lmao

I was running the MM version with a friend, and the thing popped up, I thought it was just the usual warnings, and clicked it, got through most of the missions, then near the end, my friends asks why I'm not using my normal abilities...... and I'm like, you can't, it's part of the mission, and he laughs, and tell me I should read the pop ups before clicking them, that I didn't have to do the tutorial .......opps I should be thankful I didn't end up like Stan in South Park...lol

If you press the "x" for the tutorial, you lose nothing.

If you press the checkmark for the tutorial, you lose your abilities and gain them back.

The abilities for me disappear already when the box to pick the x or the check mark appears.(right after the opening dialogue). There are no other pop up boxes.

I can press x and the abilities stay missing except for a few attacks.

As I play most come back but not all until I finish the first chapter and leave the instance.

I've unchecked show tutorial alerts in preferences and re ran the chapter and everything is still the same.

This is my main and not a token made toon.

Not sure if there is anything else I could be missing.