What GSF REALLY needs

Clickbait title, but honestly I think this would help unlike a lot of systemic sweeping proposals, it should be pretty easy to implement.

GSF needs new rewards. It's been years since anything was added to the options for Fleet Comms expenditure, to say nothing of the thousands of fleet and ship req.

Decos

1. A new personnel deco (pilot or naval officer)

2. A deco that opens up your hanger. There's one of these on the fleets. Is it super useful? No, but it's cool.

3. A display that shows the same animation as the starfighter recovery toy.

4. A model of the fleet space station

5. Super expensive (maybe even 10k) reward, maybe Admiral Renkan.

Upgrades

1. New paint job that makes your ship black (basically black and black dye for GSF)

2. New paint job that supports the story, like Zakuul themed or Alliance themed

3. Multi-colored engine/gun

4. Upgrades that change the look of mines and drones

5. Paint jobs that shows your guild's banner

Conversions

1. Fleet Comms for crafting mats

2. Fleet Comms for dark/light tokens

3. Fleet Comms for gear crates

4. Fleet Comms for KDY modules

5. Fleet Comms for valor/social points

Clickbait title, but honestly I think this would help unlike a lot of systemic sweeping proposals, it should be pretty easy to implement.

GSF needs new rewards. It's been years since anything was added to the options for Fleet Comms expenditure, to say nothing of the thousands of fleet and ship req.

Decos

2. A deco that opens up your hanger. There's one of these on the fleets. Is it super useful? No, but it's cool.

As a decor enthusiast , I love these ideas, more deco's, the better :)

Upgrades

1. New paint job that makes your ship black (basically black and black dye for GSF)

2. New paint job that supports the story, like Zakuul themed or Alliance themed

3. Multi-colored engine/gun

4. Upgrades that change the look of mines and drones

5. Paint jobs that shows your guild's banner

Conversions

1. Fleet Comms for crafting mats

2. Fleet Comms for dark/light tokens

3. Fleet Comms for gear crates

4. Fleet Comms for KDY modules

5. Fleet Comms for valor/social points

These ones I wouldn't be interested in, but I'd still put +1 support, as it's something people would like..

(But the deco's get +100 support ;) )

Decos

I would like to see:

1. Ship decos being available for ships you have mastered for ship reqs.

2. Grounds crew for your ship area for ship reps

3. Maintenance equipment that you find in many space ports for fleet reps

4. Battle holo tables showing combat for fleet reps

Pvp gets many pvp specific items that are only available to them. That even includes the mats for the new augments which sell for stupid credits. I think GSF should get some of that love also

I would like to see:

1. Ship decos being available for ships you have mastered for ship reqs.

2. Grounds crew for your ship area for ship reps

3. Maintenance equipment that you find in many space ports for fleet reps

4. Battle holo tables showing combat for fleet reps

Pvp gets many pvp specific items that are only available to them. That even includes the mats for the new augments which sell for stupid credits. I think GSF should get some of that love also

I like the ideas, especially decos, and gsf specific decos. But i disagree with the mats, you've already too many people complaining about 'non' gsf people coming in for GS/CQ, if you add mats in to the equation, it could cast a darker cloud on an already darkening sky.

I like the ideas, especially decos, and gsf specific decos. But i disagree with the mats, you've already too many people complaining about 'non' gsf people coming in for GS/CQ, if you add mats in to the equation, it could cast a darker cloud on an already darkening sky.

Oh, I don't know. If you wanted to motivate people to really learn GSF you could do something like have a quest where if you get some high number of medals per game, 15-ish maybe, a certain number of times you get one of the two new mats.

You need to be playing at a high level, farming medals doesn't warp the incentive structure away from ideal play all that much, you need to learn pretty much all aspects of GSF to get that number of medals, and it's a really big carrot. Also works in both game modes and can be done with any ship class, though not all ship builds are well suited.

Conquest and Seasons have motivated people to BE IN GSF. Linking rare mats to a decent marker of high skill would encourage people to move beyond being in GSF to getting good at GSF. After all, the traditional MMO answer to players asking, "why make the effort instead of doing just enough to not be getting AFK penalties" is "SHINY SHINY LOOT!!!"

It's part of a group activity, high end performance required, so it's more or less in line with getting them in other ways. I mean I suppose to fully embrace it you'd have to queue for GSF in a group of 4, but GSF newcomers often don't appreciate seeing groups in the queue, so it might be worth devs considering if they really wanted consistency in that regard or not.

The augments aren't really needed by anyone, and honestly by the time people go from deciding that they need to farm GSF for RPM-13s or whatever to being consistently good enough to do so SWTOR will probably be in the next gear cycle anyway. Sure there will be some forum tantrums about it, but it's more effort and skill than farming tech fragments, so why not?

Great post. Like it. Also legacy wide unlock for cartel ships. Even if it was done like cartel outfits are, where you need to buy the outfit for 1400cc, then unlock it for a further 400 for all toons.
pretty much need this to happen . .

cool/more decos would be sweet

I'd like see us get one of the companions from the crew. Maybe Ashy on pub side or Writch Hurley on imp side.

Structure it just like the pvp comps Lt Pierce or M1-4x, where you need to complete a certain number of matches to get the companion, and similarly we earn influence for each GSF match and double for each win.

At least maybe let us earn some influence on some companion like Yuun, if we can't get one the gsf crew companions.

I'd like see us get one of the companions from the crew. Maybe Ashy on pub side or Writch Hurley on imp side.

Structure it just like the pvp comps Lt Pierce or M1-4x, where you need to complete a certain number of matches to get the companion, and similarly we earn influence for each GSF match and double for each win.

At least maybe let us earn some influence on some companion like Yuun, if we can't get one the gsf crew companions.

As long as it's complete, and not win :)

What GSF really needs...

Is a way to zoom out that damn camera because I am tired of running into things because that damn camera is right up my ships exhaust. Yes, I know about holding F.

Also decorations. I will almost never disagree with more decorations.

Edited by ceryxp

What GSF really needs...

Is a way to zoom out that damn camera because I am tired of running into things because that damn camera is right up my ships exhaust. Yes, I know about holding F.

10000000% agree with this. I’d also like to be able to look left and right and up and down. Also a map that lets you zoom in more or zoom out more.

It’s why I always wanted joystick support so I could use my “hotus” and mini stick on the top to look around.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

10000000% agree with this. I’d also like to be able to look left and right and up and down. Also a map that lets you zoom in more or zoom out more.

It’s why I always wanted joystick support so I could use my “hotus” and mini stick on the top to look around.

Can't help you with zooming, but you can look in different directions. Go to the starfighter keybindings under Prefs, and then to targeting, and you will see there is a series of "Quick Look" keys. These keybinds let you look in any direction. I have re-assigned them to keys that are more natural for me to use, and a 12 button mouse certainly helps a lot in this respect. Also "C" is super helpful. I think its called "Target Camera"? I've kept that one bound to C. What it does is flick the camera view around to look at your target, wherever they happen to be. You can see in my videos I use that one a lot. It really helps for evading and counter flying.

You can also adjust the mini-map for size in UI settings, if that would help you with wanting to zoom in and out on the map.

A quick comment on zooming out though - I don't think I would really want that, as it would make target's look further away. Once you progress to the point that you are looking at actual ships on your screen, not just red circles - something you develop with Scout flying - you use the ship as a gauge for when to start shooting. Ie, if you can't see the ship in its shape and form, don't shoot. Zooming out would make the ship seem smaller again, and thereby would effect my judgement of my distance to them.

Edited by Ttoilleekul

Can't help you with zooming, but you can look in different directions. Go to the starfighter keybindings under Prefs, and then to targeting, and you will see there is a series of "Quick Look" keys. These keybinds let you look in any direction. I have re-assigned them to keys that are more natural for me to use, and a 12 button mouse certainly helps a lot in this respect. Also "C" is super helpful. I think its called "Target Camera"? I've kept that one bound to C. What it does is flick the camera view around to look at your target, wherever they happen to be. You can see in my videos I use that one a lot. It really helps for evading and counter flying.

You can also adjust the mini-map for size in UI settings, if that would help you with wanting to zoom in and out on the map.

A quick comment on zooming out though - I don't think I would really want that, as it would make target's look further away. Once you progress to the point that you are looking at actual ships on your screen, not just red circles - something you develop with Scout flying - you use the ship as a gauge for when to start shooting. Ie, if you can't see the ship in its shape and form, don't shoot. Zooming out would make the ship seem smaller again, and thereby would effect my judgement of my distance to them.

Yeah, already done all of that. I’m talking more ability to look around and zoom out. Plus the ability to zoom right in on that mini map with more details. The map itself is no better than a 1980/90s arcade map.

Edit:

I play flight sims that can zoom out in third person and look around in first person. I’ve no problems with targeting in those sims, so I don’t see that being an issue for targeting. I’m not sure if you’ve ever played World or Warplane, but it has a good zoom and look around feature. Here’s an example :

I don’t even consider GSF a third person flight sim because you can’t zoom out or have a “free view” look around. It’s got more in common with a first person shooter than a space or flight sim.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Yeah, already done all of that. I’m talking more ability to look around and zoom out. Plus the ability to zoom right in on that mini map with more details. The map itself is no better than a 1980/90s arcade map.

Yeah its not a great map. I use it only for locating DO spawns and looking to see if there is a red-arrow pointed at me. And the latter only when I am flying Gunship.

Let me just say some things first:

- I'm an old X-Wing, TIE-Fighter and XvT-Veteran playing on an old machine, so I haven't been able to give the newest game a try

- I love the fact of this "mini-game" being integrated into the MMORPG. Not big on standard PvP, but give me anything that flies...

- I hadn't played for a long time, but now got back into SWTOR recently

- at first, flying by mouse was pretty frustrating, but I'm figuring it out now ;-)

That said, I've heard that there hasn't been done much for GSF, which is okay imho, as it is a game-within-a-game, and I probably wouldn't have gotten into it if not for the season thing, but on the other hand I spend about 30% of my playing time in that mini-game, and so I would love to see it get a little more attention.

What I would love to see:

- Ranking and better match-making (it's as frustrating if you're way superior to your opponent as it is the other way around)

- A new battlefield - the classic one side attacks a capital ship, the other side defends it

- More ways to personalize your space hot-rod (paint jobs and more opportunity to get those in the main game, just like the one bomber paint job for KDY-Kits)

- It would be nice if you could name your ship or make a short note in the hangar - I'm flying with multiple characters, and keeping hand-written notes is a little old-fashioned... plus, I'm lazy... ;-))

Edit:

I play flight sims that can zoom out in third person and look around in first person. I’ve no problems with targeting in those sims, so I don’t see that being an issue for targeting. I’m not sure if you’ve ever played World or Warplane, but it has a good zoom and look around feature. Here’s an example :

I don’t even consider GSF a third person flight sim because you can’t zoom out or have a “free view” look around. It’s got more in common with a first person shooter than a space or flight sim.

Oh yeah for sure I can see what you mean there.

A quick comment on zooming out though - I don't think I would really want that, as it would make target's look further away.

I do not mean the same zoom level that we have with our character. I just want to move the camera back a little so it is easier to see what is around our ship.

We have established guys that we can get the devs to change things in GSF. Two very recent examples would be the CQ rewards for GSF, and nerfing of Remote Slicing. Both of which happened due to campaigns / petitions by people on this forum. I am happy to start a petition to have some of these aspects changed, but we need to be very specific and relatively simple with what we ask for. If we ask for a multitude of complex things, it lessons the chances that we get anything. Also the more people put their name to the petition, the more chance it works.

For now I am thinking:

More GSF related Decos (let the devs iron out the particulars of this)

Fleet coms conversions (Fleet coms being able to buy cosmetics?)

Legacy unlock for Cartel ships.

Should I add a Zoom feature?

One thing I have always wanted to see is Co-pilot actor's voices not bound to certain abilities. So we can have the

audio companion of our choice with the ability of our choice.

Less likely but perhaps the most wanted

A new map.

This would be the biggest change to GSF since 5.5, if we ask for all of this. So it really would need your collective support. For now, this discussion thread has enough input to get the ball rolling in a more official manner, I think.

Edited by Ttoilleekul

I do not mean the same zoom level that we have with our character. I just want to move the camera back a little so it is easier to see what is around our ship.

i do believe now, you can change the distance your camera zooms.

Please add Ranking and Matchmaking... currently it's very rare to get a match that's evenly paired, at least on Tulak Horde. And it's just as frustrating winning a game without having had a chance to really participate as it is if you're the best on your side having shot down *one* opponent.