Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?

Kioma
03.02.2012 , 01:02 PM | #981
Quote: Originally Posted by sparklecat View Post
Source, please.

People have said they hate having to deal with hetero flirts as a reminder of what they can't have. Not that they have a problem with them on their own merits.
Yeah, I think this is speculation on AquaSky's behalf. I've never seen anyone pro-SGRA who's demanded a toggle to remove hetero options.

Calimwulf
03.02.2012 , 01:03 PM | #982
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
No.

How about including same-gender content with exactly the same mechanism as currently exists for opposite-gender content already - which no one objects to in that context - and you learn to get along just like everyone else does.

THAT is fair.
Life isn't fair, most folks have come to terms with that.

A toggle makes absolutely perfect sense to me. It will allow me to choose my available dialogue options, if I don't want any I won't get those, if I want them all I get those. If I decide my toon is growing in a different direction than I had originally thought, I change the toggles.

It gives me the ability to play the way I want. That makes perfect sense to me. It is also just an extension of GUI options. No muss or fuss.

LyriaFrost
03.02.2012 , 01:05 PM | #983
Quote: Originally Posted by AquaSky View Post
Except that lots of LGBT players have voiced sentiment (in this thread and others) along the lines of "I hate having to deal with hetero flirts, why can't I have an experience that I can tailor how I want ?", and that's acceptible while those who say they don't want s/s flirts for the same reasons are skewered and called hateful or bigoted. If it's okay for someone to want only s/s flirts, why isn't it okay for someone to only want o/s flirts ?
I think it's not so much "I hate having to deal with hetero flirts" as "I hate having to deal with ONLY hetero flirts." I think plenty of lesbian/gay players would be fine with just ignoring the prompts to flirt with opposite gender NPCs so long as they had the opportunity to pursue flirtation with NPCs that fit their preference.

I have no problem with being flirted with by men in-game (but then, I'm bi, so that's kind of a given), but the lack of ability to flirt with other women frustrates me.

The reason a lot of the people arguing against same-gender flirts are kind of slapped around is because their arguments tend to be couched in terms of "I don't want to see that, that's gross and wrong", or "it makes me feel sick to have an option to flirt with another guy" (it's almost always guys posting anti-SGRA stuff, I've noticed).

Besides, it's a thread DEDICATED to discussing SGRA stuff. Bioware has already said they're GOING to put it in. Coming into the thread and expressing revulsion about the idea is akin to going into a thread dedicated to PvP and saying "Oh my god, PvP is such an incredibly stupid thing to have in a game, it should be torn out and replaced with more PvE!" You're not exactly going to be greeted with smiles and measured responses.

Kioma
03.02.2012 , 01:05 PM | #984
Quote: Originally Posted by Calimwulf View Post
Life isn't fair, most folks have come to terms with that.

A toggle makes absolutely perfect sense to me. It will allow me to choose my available dialogue options, if I don't want any I won't get those, if I want them all I get those. If I decide my toon is growing in a different direction than I had originally thought, I change the toggles.

It gives me the ability to play the way I want. That makes perfect sense to me. It is also just an extension of GUI options. No muss or fuss.
It's still mechanically unnecessary. You can do exactly the same just by choosing the flirt options you want as and when they arise.

Suaine
03.02.2012 , 01:06 PM | #985
Quote: Originally Posted by AquaSky View Post
Except that lots of LGBT players have voiced sentiment (in this thread and others) along the lines of "I hate having to deal with hetero flirts, why can't I have an experience that I can tailor how I want ?", and that's acceptible while those who say they don't want s/s flirts for the same reasons are skewered and called hateful or bigoted. If it's okay for someone to want only s/s flirts, why isn't it okay for someone to only want o/s flirts ?
I don't remember anyone actually saying they hate opposite gender flirts for what they are, just that they hate having no equivalent option and being reminded of that unfairness at every turn. Can you maybe find some quotes of that 'cause I'm drawing a blank. I think the overwhelming majority here has actually been saying that we don't mind the flirts if we can have those that appeal to us as well.

natashina
03.02.2012 , 01:11 PM | #986
Okay guys, enough with the toggle debate.

For those of out there that aren't comfortable with it, try starting or restarting the toggle thread at the Suggestion forum. This is a dead, pulverized horse and just flame bait at this point.

So far, the really neat suggestions I've seen to implement the SGRs have been:

Move all flirts to the left hand side of the dialogue wheel. People who don't want it can just ignore it.

Buyable romance companion gifts. This will also prevent people accidently flirting with the wrong toon.

I know there is still some good ideas. Let's put out these flames, roast marshmellows and think about other ways try implement this without getting into the whole stupid toggle debate.

Please, I don't want to see this thread get locked for this. I know it'll be locked soon and restarted, but I'd like to see it going.

GO TEAM VENTURE...er...wait...

Edit: See Bioware-Austin? This is why we need an answer of some kind, instead of something from last fall.

Kioma
03.02.2012 , 01:16 PM | #987
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
Edit: See Bioware-Austin? This is why we need an answer of some kind, instead of something from last fall..
It's also why the pro-toggle thread should never have been closed.

Calimwulf
03.02.2012 , 01:17 PM | #988
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
It's still mechanically unnecessary. You can do exactly the same just by choosing the flirt options you want as and when they arise.
But what if I don't want flirt options? Or what if I only want homosexual options? Or what if I only want heterosexual ones? Or what if I don't care and if it moves I want to try to flirt with it? Just because it isn't mechanically necessary doesn't mean it is a bad idea. Some people only want 2 bottom hotbars, others want 4. The guys who only use 2 will think the extra 2 aren't necessary, but they have the option of only using two.

sparklecat
03.02.2012 , 01:20 PM | #989
Quote: Originally Posted by Calimwulf View Post
But what if I don't want flirt options? Or what if I only want homosexual options? Or what if I only want heterosexual ones? Or what if I don't care and if it moves I want to try to flirt with it? Just because it isn't mechanically necessary doesn't it is a bad idea. Some people only want 2 bottom hotbars, others want 4. The guys who only use 2 will think the extra 2 aren't necessary, but they have the option of only using two.
Why should the developers waste time implementing something that is a) insulting, and b) unnecessary? Just slap all flirt options on the LHS of the dialogue wheel, give everyone all the choices available including three non-flirts, and be done with it. No extra development time needed, significantly less risk of introducing a bunch of new bugs, and the only people who are offended are those who are calling for the gays to be hidden away because they can't even stand the sight of such content. In which case, oh well, life isn't fair and you're in the minority, get over it. Right?

natashina
03.02.2012 , 01:20 PM | #990
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
It's also why the pro-toggle thread should never have been closed.
Agreed. For those of you really opposed to this idea: Restart the toggle thread regarding romances in the game in the Suggestion box. Otherwise, see my sig.