Mastery vs Power

Faithcents

Specifically 24 mastery vs 42 power...anyone have any idea which one would give the most damage increase? Mainly asking because of some mod options where one has 24 more mastery and the other has 42 more power. If the mastery is more damage then I'd need to replace 9 mods...so 216 mastery vs 378 power.

Power will always grant you higher bonus dmg, mastery gives a increase to bonus dmg as well as crit chance.

Mastery

Force Dmg Bonus per Point - 0.2

Power

Force Dmg Bonus per Point - 0.23

There isn't much of a difference but it's there. However, if you're not at your limit for crit chance, then mastery will benefit you more. In you're case however, you're adding much more power over mastery, so it would therefore increase your dmg more to go for the power.

Hope this helps

Edited by drbonesmccoy

Power will always grant you higher bonus dmg, mastery gives a increase to bonus dmg as well as crit chance.

Mastery

Force Dmg Bonus per Point - 0.2

Power

Force Dmg Bonus per Point - 0.23

There isn't much of a difference but it's there. However, if you're not at your limit for crit chance, then mastery will benefit you more. In you're case however, you're adding much more power over mastery, so it would therefore increase your dmg more to go for the power.

Hope this helps

does anyone know what that limit for crit is? I have over 41%

• 3 months later...
Way too high. Look in the subforum Roles - big thread.

Around 36-37% is enough.

Which one is the one you mean ? Multiplyer ? or the one that just says critical ( am looking under force tab on my sorc)

my crit ( not multi) says 22 but multiplier says over 54 so which do i go by to judge my rate of crit and how do i crecese the 22 to 40 when its already max level ( though hasnt got pvp gear or much over-208 clothes gear and 178 implant and ear etc left side of character tab

Edited by sxysorc
correction

Which one is the one you mean ? Multiplyer ? or the one that just says critical ( am looking under force tab on my sorc)

my crit ( not multi) says 22 but multiplier says over 54 so which do i go by to judge my rate of crit and how do i crecese the 22 to 40 when its already max level ( though hasnt got pvp gear or much over-208 clothes gear and 178 implant and ear etc left side of character tab

You want your crit at around 37% or so. Your crit multiplier should be in the high 60's.

• 2 weeks later...
Their is no crit ceiling. Its all baised on preferance.

There is no hard cap on the crit percentage, but the relationship between the crit "number" you have and the crit percentage/crit damage multiplier is not linear. So when you get up around 40% crit, each additional point of crit gives much less additional crit percentage/multiplier than it did at lower levels. That diminishing return means that when you get to the mid-30's, most builds find more benefit in stacking power, alacrity or Mastery (assuming that accuracy, if relevant, is already adequate).

Never stack mastery. Your gear will give you plenty of it. You should be more focused on power vs crit.

Power is consistent damage, crit is a chance on higher damage. I recommend pushing your crit chance upwards of 45% and then switching to power.

• 4 years later...

Hi all,

I'm reviving this thread because it's 2020 and not 2016. I've rebuilt my Fury Marauder recently and at one stage in the development process I was doing around 5.5 k dps in unranked warzones.

Take into consideration that I main a tank and have never been very good at DPS.

I got to 43% crit chance and I've been pushing power. My rotation is as good as I can possibly get it at my skill level and generally speaking I have no problems in 1 v 1 or even 2 v 1 encounters. But in the last couple of days I've lost 1k dps on average every game.

My mastery is over 13k and my power is well over 8k. I dont have any points in accuracy but I dont miss much, I think my baseline 101% accuracy is good enough. I'm at the first bracket on alacrity with only a few points over 1200 so not too much wasted there.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated, if any of you main Fury Marauders even more so.

Edited by DiegoOnasi

• 1 year later...