Please help me choose my main.

Iteporpa

Hi!

I'm asking veteran players for a little help.

I love this game and want to experience it fully. I have one character from every class, and most of them finished their class stories already.

Now is the time to choose a main, and this is where I'm lost.

I have very limited playtime (being a personal trainer so working from 7am to 6pm, and have 3 kids).

I want to play a toon that is efficient and fun. I want to do everything with him. Playing the story, do every planetary and exploration mission, solo heroics and flashpoints, do some unranked warzone (won't do ranked), do operations.

So far I have decieded sin/shadow. Stealth+somewhat ok aoe+can go skank(can I?)+decent speed. I also like my sabotur, scrapper, mercenary, and sentinel. But to be honest there is no class where I don't like at least one discipline.

Also with the limited freetime comes a better income, so the other part of the question is, when I decided a main, what should I spend money on? Already bought a fully modable costume for every toon. Field respec, ship transport unlocked, bought the double blaster droid. Now what? Anything else usefull?

A great thank you for anyone responding!

Edited by Iteporpa

EDIT: I commend you on your good taste in forum avatars. ;)

I'm asking veteran players for a little help.

I love this game and want to experience it fully. I have one character from every class, and most of them finished their class stories already.

Now is the time to choose a main, and this is where I'm lost.

I have very limited playtime (being a personal trainer so working from 7am to 6pm, and have 3 kids).

Normally, I'd say that "the time to choose a main" is a concept of limited validity in SWTOR(1), but you've touched on the main actual reason for doing it.

I want to play a toon that is efficient and fun. I want to do everything with him. Playing the story, do every planetary and exploration mission, solo heroics and flashpoints, do some unranked warzone (won't do ranked), do operations.

"Do every planetary and exploration mission" implies *two* characters, since Impside and Pubside planetary and exploration missions (and side missions - with a plain yellow triangle - as well) are different.

So far I have decieded sin/shadow. Stealth+somewhat ok aoe+can go skank(can I?)+decent speed. I also like my sabotur, scrapper, mercenary, and sentinel. But to be honest there is no class where I don't like at least one discipline.

Sin and Shadow are good choices, yes. Their fighting styles "feel" very close, which is true of all the Force-user classes, while there are occasionally differences beyond just how it looks when you go from one gun class+discipline to its mirrot. Example: Gunnery Commando is supposedly the mirror of Arsenal Mercenary, but a few abilities feel like they take a split-second longer(2) on Arsenal than on Gunnery, while Gunnery seems to run out of "mana" (ammo) faster than Arsenal overheats (it builds heat rather than consuming ammo).

It may be that I'm just imagining things, of course.

Also with the limited freetime comes a better income, so the other part of the question is, when I decided a main, what should I spend money on?

Things you thing you'll like, if you're buying them for yourself, or things that can be sold on the GTN for lots of credits-per-CC if you're buying for that reason.

Already bought a fully modable costume for every toon.

In the pre-7.0 structure of the game, especially in 6.X, that's actually a mistake. End-game set bonuses are on moddable shells rather than the 4.X and 5.X time, when they were on the armorings, and Cartel Market items don't have them. Use them in Outfit Designer - read Swtorista's guide at https://swtorista.com/articles/how-do-i-make-my-character-look-cool-in-swtor/ - rather than as actual gear. In 7.0, the whole thing will change again, and initially the best gear that we can acquire without running high-difficulty operations will be fixed-stats (not moddable).

Use CM armour in Outfit Designer, and you can have up to sixteen purely cosmetic outfits per character.

Field respec, ship transport unlocked, bought the double blaster droid. Now what? Anything else usefull?

In general, you should pay for Field Respec using credits, since it's "per-character" regardless. Rocket Boost (commonly called "Rocket Boots" because with most armour sets, the rockets are in your boots, even if they are sandals) is a good one - it allows mounted speeds for short periods in areas where mounts aren't allowed. Buy it from the Legacy panel, in the "Other" section.

Otherwise, look at e.g.: training dummies, legacy storage and guild storage access, a vendor droid ("Repair droid"), mailbox and so on, all for your class ships, also in the "Other" section of the Legacy panel. These things are single unlocks for the whole legacy.

(1) YMMV in other MMORPGs. Example: in Runes of Magic, the experience-per-level curves at high level are severely punitive to people who want to play more than just one character.

(2) Not enough that I could possibly hope to measure it, but the rhythm of the rotation feels ever so slightly different.

Edited by SteveTheCynic

To expand on what dmnqwk said; when 7.0 releases on Feb. 14, the current mechanism of Classes and Advanced Classes will be replaced with Origins and Combat Styles. Origins will coincide with the eight current Classes (Knight, Consular, Warrior, Inquisitor, Agent, Bounty Hunter, Trooper and Smuggler), while Combat Styles will be divided into two groups derived from the current sixteen Advanced Classes - eight Force Combat Styles that can be used by the four Force Origins and eight Tech Combat Styles that can be used by the four Tech Origins.

Here's where it gets interesting/confusing. Unless you already have the achievement "Dark V" and/or "Light V" unlocked on your legacy, then Force Styles are further divided by Alignment; Jedi can only use the four Light styles (Guardian, Sentinel, Sage and Shadow) and Sith can only use the four Dark styles (Juggernaut, Marauder, Sorcerer and Assassin). If you unlock Dark V or Light V over the course of playing, however, then at the end of Act III of the Origin story (after Corellia, et. al., but before Ilum), you get a special mission that will allow your Light Sith or Dark Jedi to change to the mirror of their current Combat Style to reflect their 'stance in the Force'. Even better, if you already have the achievements unlocked when creating a new character, then you can receive that mission immediately upon loading in on your starter planet for the first time.

What all this means is that a Main will no longer necessarily have to be bound by "well, I like the Scrapper Scoundrel, even if the Smugger storyline isn't my favorite", if your favorite Combat Style (and discipline) is the Scrapper Scoundrel, but you prefer the Bounty Hunter Origin, then with 7.0 you'll be able to create a Bounty Hunter Origin, but give them the Scoundrel Combat Style so that you can have the best of both worlds.

Thanks!

The class story (origin in 7.0) doesn't matter, I already finished it. The real question is which class has better QOL, AoE, Speed, etc. so I can finish quest fast, while being usefull in all parts of the game in general. The more I play, the closer I am to get to the conclusion, that stealth is a must. Am I wrong here?

Come 7.0, if I have to change I will. Or just take something for a second combat style :)

And also thanks for the rocket boost tip. I don't know how I missed it. It feels so good to use.

Edited by Iteporpa

The class story (origin in 7.0) doesn't matter, I already finished it. The real question is which class has better QOL, AoE, Speed, etc. so I can finish quest fast, while being usefull in all parts of the game in general. The more I play, the closer I am to get to the conclusion, that stealth is a must. Am I wrong here?

I wouldn't say you're *wrong*, but you aren't exactly 100% right either.

If you want to move through areas quickly and quietly without being slowed down by combat, yes, stealth is a must because you can't always "run between the raindrops" to avoid combat on a non-stealth character. Sometimes, you *must* go through that doorway, and a non-stealth character will have to fight the guards, while a stealther can get past them without being seen. In general, though, I use stealth to set up fights to begin the way *I* want, which means stealthing up to ===> that specific foe (healer, typically) and taking it out with Spike or Boot To The Head (er, sorry, "Spinning Kick", but all I can think of when I see the animation is Ed Gruberman taking a boot to the head from the Master(1)).

And watch out for foes with stealth detection, situations where you are forced into a combat state even though you're in stealth, and cut-scenes that end with a fight that you can't get out of by stealthing.

And the point that stealthing (a) doesn't give XP or Renown XP or Conquest points for the stealthed-past foes, and (b) sometimes foes detect you anyway.

And if you stealth past the foes, you can't kill them to trigger "kill ten rats" bonus missions.

So it's useful no matter what your approach to using it is, but it isn't a universal panacaea.

Come 7.0, if I have to change I will. Or just take something for a second combat style :)

Beware that you won't initially be able to change your "first" (existing) combat style on your existing characters, so if you go for something different, you'll have to use your second style slot to do it, and you won't be able to have two not-original styles.

And also thanks for the rocket boost tip. I don't know how I missed it. It feels so good to use.

You're welcome.

(1) Ref: Ti Kwan Leep, by the Frantics, lyrics at https://genius.com/Frantics-ti-kwan-leep-lyrics

I wouldn't say you're *wrong*, but you aren't exactly 100% right either.

If you want to move through areas quickly and quietly without being slowed down by combat, yes, stealth is a must because you can't always "run between the raindrops" to avoid combat on a non-stealth character. Sometimes, you *must* go through that doorway, and a non-stealth character will have to fight the guards, while a stealther can get past them without being seen. In general, though, I use stealth to set up fights to begin the way *I* want, which means stealthing up to ===> that specific foe (healer, typically) and taking it out with Spike or Boot To The Head (er, sorry, "Spinning Kick", but all I can think of when I see the animation is Ed Gruberman taking a boot to the head from the Master(1)).

And watch out for foes with stealth detection, situations where you are forced into a combat state even though you're in stealth, and cut-scenes that end with a fight that you can't get out of by stealthing.

And the point that stealthing (a) doesn't give XP or Renown XP or Conquest points for the stealthed-past foes, and (b) sometimes foes detect you anyway.

And if you stealth past the foes, you can't kill them to trigger "kill ten rats" bonus missions.

So it's useful no matter what your approach to using it is, but it isn't a universal panacaea.

Beware that you won't initially be able to change your "first" (existing) combat style on your existing characters, so if you go for something different, you'll have to use your second style slot to do it, and you won't be able to have two not-original styles.

You're welcome.

(1) Ref: Ti Kwan Leep, by the Frantics, lyrics at https://genius.com/Frantics-ti-kwan-leep-lyrics

I really appreciate your in-deph annswers!

In the same time you are helping and not helping me :D how you do this? :D :D

You know the problem. What would YOU suggest for a friend of yours, who will be in the same situation?

Or what would YOU choose, and why?

Edited by Iteporpa

You know the problem. What would YOU suggest for a friend of yours, who will be in the same situation?

The simplest answer is, for *speed* completing missions, go stealth. If you like Force users, go Shadow/Assassin, and if you like guns, go Scoundrel/Operative. For new characters in 7.0, pick the origin you like and go with a stealth combat style.

Really, what class you use as a main is a very personal thing. I'd suggest you choose it based upon what you enjoy playing, rather than some nebulous "best".

My vote would be Gunslinger (smuggler), but that's just me. Or maybe Guardian as a second choice. 🙂

Along with Rocket Boost, I'd suggest a field repair droid.

If you're doing group content as a focus I would focus on tank or heals class, overworld stuff DPS. I have a set for DPS and tank, I only run tank for quick wait times but focus DPS on overworld and raids. I don't play force users outside of completing their story and focus on my VG/PT so DPS/Tank. My time is valuable and finite so quickest way to achieve said goals is always a desire. If you do go the DPS/Tank route, just make sure you change your loot preference during FP's.

Thank you all.

The best I was able to come up with, is playing Shadow until 7.0. I will finish all expansion with him and do some achievement.

After 7.0 I will start a new character.

It would be either a shadow/sorcerer (stealth, melee dps, ranged dps, tank) with the guardian story or operative/x (the stealth is a must here, but I want to see classes after pruning to decide the other combat style. Could be gunslinger,vanguard, or mercenary.) with the trooper story.

I like the non-force users combat style more, but the jedi/sith stories fit better to the game. The smuggler is a clown(sad, because its my favouirite aesthetically), the trooper is just a mindless droid for the corrupt republic, bounty hunter is dull, agent is ok but still funny to see a small guy in a trenchcoat go fight revan with probes and vibroblade....

Edited by Iteporpa

• 2 weeks later...

I think there's more to it than picking combat style, which even if you don't like the Origin's combat style now, you can pick a second one you like the best, in 7.0

I'd think of things like voice actor. Even possibly favorite origin story or personality of said origin story.

For Empire, for example, my favorite VAs are the female Inquisitor and Warrior, with the edge going to Inquisitor. Origin going to Inquisitor.

As for class, for Tech, I much preferred Gunslinger/Sniper over Scoundrel/Operative, which beats it's stealth aspect imo.

It is a hard choice. I have a lot of criteria and no class has all of them.

I have come down to 2. First is an IA with the batman ending, with lethality operative and saboteur gunslinger combat styles. I like the agent story, the personality, and this way I have a grat solo style with stealth and an other with the best aoe for quick kills.

The 2 is a shadow/assasin with a watchman sentinel. This with the guardian origin.

Which will be the one depends on 7.0 changes.