Storyline and Open-World Content Difficulty or lack of...

cheeseforme

Sorry the conversation was bouncing around. I see where you’re coming from now. Yeah that might be a good solution too depending on if the flash point is being balanced for a trinity group at veteran or solo experience.

The idea being to let everyone choose then between easy and multiple other difficulty levels during the story phase of the flashpoints. Right now story for flashpoints is always storymode, so always easy.

Outside of that the jump in difficulty between easy and Veteran is huge (and designed for groups, even though *some* fully geared / skilled peeps can solo them). Something in between thats optional for the first playthrough for all.

All solo content atm is either extremely hard (veteran) or extremely easy (story), like theres no middle ground to challenge the solo/story player.

Games got an easy mode (almost everywhere), a hard mode and a nightmare mode in some places. Totally skipped 'normal' mode, whats that all about? Lol

Edited by Suzsi

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea being to let everyone choose then between easy and multiple other difficulty levels during the story phase of the flashpoints. Right now story for flashpoints is always storymode, so always easy.

Outside of that the jump in difficulty between easy and Veteran is huge (and designed for groups, even though *some* fully geared / skilled peeps can solo them). Something in between thats optional for the first playthrough for all.

All solo content atm is either extremely hard (veteran) or extremely easy (story), like theres no middle ground to challenge the solo/story player.

Games got an easy mode (almost everywhere), a hard mode and a nightmare mode in some places. Totally skipped 'normal' mode, whats that all about? Lol

I agree, the difficulty curve is definitely not linear and there is no “normal” mode for most things.

Except for Spirit of Vengeance. It says Story Mode, but it's on Hard mode. I'm guessing Veteran level.

Except for Spirit of Vengeance. It says Story Mode, but it's on Hard mode. I'm guessing Veteran level.

That’s your perspective. For me it’s easy mode. If you’d ever tried veteran you would understand it’s not even close.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

It's closer to normal mode, or was before they dropped the difficulty. Its def not veteran/hard mode

Edited by Suzsi

Sigh. There are players newer or with disabilities who wants to play the game. As a STORY-DRIVEN game, if people aren't able to progress the story, what does that say? I also understand that people play to relax, some for challenge, but majority play to unwind. It's really quite irritating to see some fail to relate or emphatize with those with different skills.

Sure, SoV was a faceroll even in a vanilla account for me, but for others it might not be. Dantooine FP was fortunately a step back from the absurd difficulty curve with SoV.

At the end of the day, OPTIONS are always welcome. If you want more challenging content, there's an option for that. If people want easier content, I think the option for that is called STORY MODE. Easy content in a game is not some cardinal sin.

Edited by vianiel

Sigh. There are players newer or with disabilities who wants to play the game. As a STORY-DRIVEN game, if people aren't able to progress the story, what does that say? I also understand that people play to relax, some for challenge, but majority play to unwind. It's really quite irritating to see some fail to relate or emphatize with those with different skills.

Sure, SoV was a faceroll even in a vanilla account for me, but for others it might not be. Dantooine FP was fortunately a step back from the absurd difficulty curve with SoV.

At the end of the day, OPTIONS are always welcome. If you want more challenging content, there's an option for that. If people want easier content, I think the option for that is called STORY MODE. Easy content in a game is not some cardinal sin.

No reasonable person is arguing against that. What many of us are saying is there is not a “normal difficulty” setting because everything has been made either super easy or hard. There is no middle ground.

People need options and sadly BioWare always defaults to super easy vs super hard which alienates more people than in the middle than at either end of the spectrum.

The game already has mechanisms in it to allow BioWare to provide players more options. That’s what the reasonable posters are asking for. Sadly, BioWare is not using these mechanics to provide them. They prefer to make everything super easy instead if a few people complain it’s too hard for them.

If you want EZ story, pop all xp boosts and level a companion more and you will completely wreck the planets, it'll still be a cakewalk.

If you can't beat story missions intended for one person to solo, watch a youtube playtrough instead. There, you dont have to bother with combat and you can just watch the story on your couch.

Edited by Kiesu

If you want EZ story, pop all xp boosts and level a companion more and you will completely wreck the planets, it'll still be a cakewalk.

If you can't beat story missions intended for one person to solo, watch a youtube playtrough instead. There, you dont have to bother with combat and you can just watch the story on your couch.

I've been doing this since RotHC. For all the "the game used to be challenging", I've never seen it. If you're looking for challenging content, you can always do walkups on FPs and solo them, but not in Story Mode. It's fun, if you can do it. I have. It's too bad they nerfed the Oricon H4. I used to solo that on my tank, with a DPS comp, back when it was relevant, and you had to gear your comps. For all that, I'm not looking for them to change the game to suit me, because a lot of people would rage quit, and some of them are posting in this thread looking for more challenging content.

Right now the game is on easy mode, that's default. Actually with 2XP in place it's more like beginner mode. So, you as someone who wants more challenging content has to actually REQUEST it, rather than mocking the people who are content with the status quo. See how that works? Being edgy only works if you don't want the game to change, then you can be dismissive. But if you do, you actually have to be accommodating and accepting that people may disagree. :confused:

Edited by Ardrossan

Right now the game is on easy mode, that's default. Actually with 2XP in place it's more like beginner mode. So, you as someone who wants more challenging content has to actually REQUEST it, rather than mocking the people who are content with the status quo. See how that works? Being edgy only works if you don't want the game to change, then you can be dismissive. But if you do, you actually have to be accommodating and accepting that people may disagree. :confused:

I've been requesting more difficult content for years. Don't wanna sound like a broken record. You want me to apoogize for giving tips on how to make content even easier for those who cant even solo solo content? Ok bro, no.

Hello, Strawman, my old friend.

No, the cardinal sin is forcing everyone into easy mode: not giving them a choice. Of course players with disabilities that impact their play should be accommodated for. No one is arguing that.

I detest this strawman of accusing anyone that wants a more challenging game mode that they're against adaptive playstyles. If anything, BioWare is, as there's no colorblindness mode, and the subtitles need a review so what is heard is what is displayed, verbatim. There are many times where a word or two is missing, but once in a while, it's an entire sentence. There's an entire thread dedicated to adaptive play feature suggestions that BioWare started themselves.

Stick to the topic.

The other tactic I can't stand is all the FUD being thrown around. If there is a choice, it should draw in more players, not drive the current base away.

I'm going to rank the things BioWare can do, in order of feasibility to solve this problem:

1. Create difficulty modes for all instances - Not what OP is asking for, but it's better than nothing.
  2. Create separate instances for difficulty modes - They did this for PvP, so I think it's feasible, and the approach I prefer they take.
  3. Introduce an item similar to the White Acute Module that increases difficulty - I don't see how this could be done other than acting as a debuff on stats, but it's more feasible than...
  4. Creating servers that have different difficulty modes.

I hope this one doesn't get removed by the mod.

Edited by Tofu_Shark

The problem is that levels (and gear) have no meaning. In vanilla, you could skip side quests to slow down your level progression, thus game was more difficult. Now? You could take a level 10 with no gear to Hoth and be just fine.

So as I see it, level sync is the problem.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Very few are asking for that. All I see most (including myself) asking for are options.

Content is either super easy or super hard. There's no middle ground in places like flashpoints and chapters, where options are available, to take a middle ground 'normal' option. For those who want to be challeneged without having to have the best gear, sets and augments.

Story content right off the block is all set to easy, even though a lot of story is in flashpoints these days and could also offer options other then a one setting fits all easy mode. You don't even get to pick a difficulty for these at all during the story phase. All most want is the option to choose in places like flashpoints where it's viable to do so and a middle ground normal mode for places that already have easy, veteran(hard) or master(nightmare) modes.

Edited by Suzsi

I've been requesting more difficult content for years. Don't wanna sound like a broken record. You want me to apoogize for giving tips on how to make content even easier for those who cant even solo solo content? Ok bro, no.

lmao "tips". Go watch youtube isn't a tip.

Edited by Ardrossan

The problem is that levels (and gear) have no meaning. In vanilla, you could skip side quests to slow down your level progression, thus game was more difficult. Now? You could take a level 10 with no gear to Hoth and be just fine.

So as I see it, level sync is the problem.

Except you can't. But hey, I'll watch some video, if you have it?

The first advice given to players struggling on Nar Shaddaa or Tatooine is gear, the second is comp/comp influence.

Except you can't. But hey, I'll watch some video, if you have it?

The first advice given to players struggling on Nar Shaddaa or Tatooine is gear, the second is comp/comp influence.

Kinda want to do this now for kicks

Not sure why you're coming for me over a slight exaggeration, but here's my level 23 on Hoth with craptastic gear, and an influence level 1 companion clicking my way to victory! errrr... a draw. FYI Hoth is a level 40-ish planet . Also, I don't have any level 10's plus I'd have to have someone summon me there if I did.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y4gh_mV6-DdgEoxqqiqImtzflmJ_7urS/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RMikllrU-DdF9CI6SA7hNXNiM_1DkdpL/view?usp=sharing

I couldn't kill anything, but they couldn't kill me either, unless I stood still and did nothing. As you can see in the fight with the Sneaky Ice Cat, I realized that Shae's healing was being hindered by her use of her mezz ability, which missed 100% of the time, so I turned it off. I wonder if I stacked a bunch of accuracy I could eventually kill something. In "vanilla" i used to craft nice purples for my lowbies. I still have the old recipes.

PS - s̶o̶r̶r̶y̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶o̶w̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶ ̶v̶i̶d̶e̶o̶s̶,̶ ̶i̶ ̶u̶p̶l̶o̶a̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶G̶o̶o̶g̶l̶e̶ ̶d̶r̶i̶v̶e̶.̶ ̶I̶'̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶w̶a̶p̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶h̶i̶g̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶r̶.̶ nvm google will automatically update it to higher res once the vids are fully processed.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Not sure why you're coming for me over a slight exaggeration, but here's my level 23 on Hoth with craptastic gear, and an influence level 1 companion clicking my way to victory! errrr... a draw. FYI Hoth is a level 40-ish planet . Also, I don't have any level 10's plus I'd have to have someone summon me there if I did.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y4gh_mV6-DdgEoxqqiqImtzflmJ_7urS/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RMikllrU-DdF9CI6SA7hNXNiM_1DkdpL/view?usp=sharing

I couldn't kill anything, but they couldn't kill me either, unless I stood still and did nothing. As you can see in the fight with the Sneaky Ice Cat, I realized that Shae's healing was being hindered by her use of her mezz ability, which missed 100% of the time, so I turned it off. I wonder if I stacked a bunch of accuracy I could eventually kill something. In "vanilla" i used to craft nice purples for my lowbies. I still have the old recipes.

PS - s̶o̶r̶r̶y̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶o̶w̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶ ̶v̶i̶d̶e̶o̶s̶,̶ ̶i̶ ̶u̶p̶l̶o̶a̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶G̶o̶o̶g̶l̶e̶ ̶d̶r̶i̶v̶e̶.̶ ̶I̶'̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶s̶w̶a̶p̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶h̶i̶g̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶r̶.̶ nvm google will automatically update it to higher res once the vids are fully processed.

Because you made a statement that you couldn't support. You then attempt to support that statement with "well, here's a toon that's twice as high as my claim, but isn't "just fine" because of a healing comp". In your desperation to support your claim, you ran straight to hyperbole, hoping nobody would notice that, at level 10, you can't even get to Hoth, on your own, just to start with, let alone do "fine" w/out gear.

I don't mind discussing the game, even if I disagree with your basic premise. I would, however, appreciate keeping the discussion to the actual game we're all playing, instead of one that you can just make stuff up in, and expect nobody to notice. It's easier on me when I can look at my own experiences, which told me right off the bat that you were stating something that wasn't true, whether for dramatic effect, or because you didn't expect anyone to know better. My money's on a little bit of both.

First advice should be about APM, stuns, DCD's, and interrupts, but I digress.

Why would anyone inquire about those, the game's too easy, and nobody needs them for the Class stories and OW, right? It's the premise of this thread, after all, and of the x number of others just like it, right? Just sayin', it's not like it can be both ways, is it?

Or, is it more likely that, with all the datacron buffs we get from the start now, along with any other advantages we give ourselves, that we've taken steps to trivialize the content, and some people are now complaining that they have done just that? I mean, I would think that the objective of everyone insisting that we need more difficulty is to, at the very least, be playing for/with BiS gear, right? Why do we do that? To make content easier. Well, I guess it worked. But regardless of why other players are struggling in Vanilla content, they are, in fact, struggling with it. This tells me that while I have always found the game's story mode to be easy, other players don't.

lmao "tips". Go watch youtube isn't a tip.

That was one of my tips, but please continue cherry picking your complaints.

On the very first page of this thread people are complaining about not wanting to bother with "combat", they just want the story. You can skip combat by watching youtube.

See: I don't like fighting games. I still wanted to see the story of Injustice games. So I watched the cut-scenes on youtube instead of playing.

Don't wanna play? Find the game in video format. It's that simple. I do it, you can too.

It's not belittling (otherwise I would be doing that to myself right now), this is how a lot of people experience games they don't want to play but want to see story of.

My assumption is you're just looking for conflict and I aint here to give it to you.

Edited by Kiesu

That was one of my tips, but please continue cherry picking your complaints.

On the very first page of this thread people are complaining about not wanting to bother with "combat", they just want the story. You can skip combat by watching youtube.

See: I don't like fighting games. I still wanted to see the story of Injustice games. So I watched the cut-scenes on youtube instead of playing.

Don't wanna play? Find the game in video format. It's that simple. I do it, you can too.

It's not belittling, this is how a lot of people experience games they don't want to play but want to see story of.

I guess that's one take. What about the players that want to experience it for themselves? What about players like me, that have always found this game easy, outside of Operations, the content that's supposed to be challenging? Why would I be advocating for leaving the OW/non instanced content alone? They could turn it up to 11 as far as I'm concerned. The problem being, of course, that a lot of players would quit, and I don't have the money to replace anything that they might be spending. Do you?